Page 1 of 2
LastLast

Some noob questions

Hi,

I am new in playing a holy priest. I read a lot of topics here, tankspot, elistist jerks and the WOW site. But still doesn't understand certain things. I watch hours youtube try to figure out where and waht to do. So It's not that I tried the easy way and didn't searched on my own. Therefore I like to have (if possible) some answers on a few questions:

1. I read that a holy priest better use the addon healbot. I installed it but I have no idea how to use it. Or are there better addons for holy priests? I need something so I can act faster and also keep my healthbar better in sight. Now I make mistakes like: not healing me, standing to long in the fire or for e.g. got chained by the first boss in blackrock caverns. I like to improve that a bit. How do other healers do this? Any tips? Because the tank is also not standing still lol.

2. What do I need to do to interrupt fear when a boss has done that to a group, or when he do debuffs (how do I remove debuffs)

3. In the past I used renew a lot. Now I read it is only good for the tank. So I use before a boss fight: Prayer of mending on tank, Chackra, heal, renew put the lightwell on a place easy to reach and start healing. When I see members have a lot of damage, I use Prayer of Healing and Circle of healing. Sometimes Holy word sanctuary to put a healing well for the melees. For the tank I use heal , greater heal and flash heal. My mana is kept unther controle most of the time. But I get a lot of complaints that I am a noob and healing is inferior. Mostly when they get a wipe when I die (for e.g. the 1+2nd boss in blackrock caverns), caused by not acting on time when there are rocks throwed, fire fired, mobs appear and start hitting me. What am I doing wrong?

4. I can't add my link already (The following errors occurred with your submission
    You are not allowed to post any kinds of links, images or videos until you post a few times.) So I hope I can do it later when it's allowed

Thanks for helping me

Kikkie

Hi,

Thanks for your answer, but these kind of answers I always get (a link, ...) , but are not an answer on my specific questions. I read that tread 3 times it's really good and I read alos the thread how to play a holy priest in cata. Thanks to those 2 thread I improved myself already. But I want to have an answer on my own problem.

Kikkie

hey,

The link Wablakin linked answers most questions about who to heal when, but doesn't answer your questions about interface and healing addons.

Healing addons: Healbot is indeed often used, but rather complicated in use. An alternative healer addon could be Vuhdo, some people think it is easier to use. It will give you different raidframes, so it will be easier to remember to heal yourself. Another one you can use is Clique, even more simple in use, but with less options. All of these you can find on Curse.

You can use a healing addon to click with your mouse to heal/dispell a target, instead of using your keys. It will be much faster because you dont have to target with your mouse first and then heal, but you can just heal with your mouse instantly.
    It will take time to get used to this way of healing. I would advise to start with putting about 2 important healing spells and 1 dispell(dispell magic) on your mousebuttons. When you get used to it you can put more abilities to mouse buttons, use control and alt when you run out of mousebuttons.

If you are responsible for interupting/dispelling the boss, i would advise you to put the boss as your sticky target, so you can see more easily what the boss is doing and target him faster. You can do this by pressing escape during the game, go to key-bindings, and set a keybinding to make your current target sticky. You can also rightclick a target to set it as sticky target.

It has been a while since i was actively healing, but i hope this information will help you.

Greetings,

Milvy
    Last edited by Milvy; 2011-04-27 at 09:57 AM.

High Overlord
    10+ Year Old Account
    healbot is a mouseover addon, it heals the addon you put your mouse on and its not a help if you just started to heal.
    simple heal would be for you to click the guy and click on the heal spell, like Aliena does.(tankspot geek)
    try and do some normal dungeons so you can improve your style.
    i dont think you can interrupt fear.
    you have two dispells, you should test them in duels/BGs.
    renew is only better for the other party members or if you want to heal some damage on you, try to use direct heals on tank so you can sustain the damage he takes.

I recommend using tukUI in heal-mode. It has a grid-like raidframe which shows every important debuff/priest buff (shield/shield debuff/renew/ maybe even PoM).
    Click on the link in my signature and then on the videos "Malfurions Gefährten vs. The Twilight Ascendant Council" and/or vs. Chimaeron. There you can see the debuff display.
    I really like it although I don't heal

Cogito ergo sum.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Kikkie View Post
    Hi,

I am new in playing a holy priest. I read a lot of topics here, tankspot, elistist jerks and the WOW site. But still doesn't understand certain things. I watch hours youtube try to figure out where and waht to do. So It's not that I tried the easy way and didn't searched on my own. Therefore I like to have (if possible) some answers on a few questions:

1. I read that a holy priest better use the addon healbot. I installed it but I have no idea how to use it. Or are there better addons for holy priests? I need something so I can act faster and also keep my healthbar better in sight. Now I make mistakes like: not healing me, standing to long in the fire or for e.g. got chained by the first boss in blackrock caverns. I like to improve that a bit. How do other healers do this? Any tips? Because the tank is also not standing still lol.

2. What do I need to do to interrupt fear when a boss has done that to a group, or when he do debuffs (how do I remove debuffs)

3. In the past I used renew a lot. Now I read it is only good for the tank. So I use before a boss fight: Prayer of mending on tank, Chackra, heal, renew put the lightwell on a place easy to reach and start healing. When I see members have a lot of damage, I use Prayer of Healing and Circle of healing. Sometimes Holy word sanctuary to put a healing well for the melees. For the tank I use heal , greater heal and flash heal. My mana is kept unther controle most of the time. But I get a lot of complaints that I am a noob and healing is inferior. Mostly when they get a wipe when I die (for e.g. the 1+2nd boss in blackrock caverns), caused by not acting on time when there are rocks throwed, fire fired, mobs appear and start hitting me. What am I doing wrong?

4. I can't add my link already (The following errors occurred with your submission
    You are not allowed to post any kinds of links, images or videos until you post a few times.) So I hope I can do it later when it's allowed

Thanks for helping me

Kikkie
    Apparently you didn't feel the guide was enough.

1. You don't need ANY addons to heal, none what so ever. If you want to have specific settings use any raid frame addon, like grid.

2. You have read the guide holy for beginners but don't know how to remove debuffs.

3. If you need to use FH on tank you are most likely doing something wrong. You obviously focusing on the wrong things, it is no issue to move from fire while being a healer, or dps, or tank for that matter. It's about not being a clueless tunnelvisioneer.

4. You didn't feel the need to give us a name, server and region instead I see.

This is my character.

Kikkie Shattered Hand Europe

I read indeed the link 3 times but still can't interrupt for exemple "Corla Herald of Twilight in Blackrock caverns" her DARK COMMAND (4 sec fear). I know it's interruptable, but every time she got me feared to. So what do I use to interrupt that ? It's not mentioned in your link

Kikkie
    Last edited by Kikkie; 2011-04-27 at 11:03 AM.

Deleted
    This is my character.

I read indeed the link 3 times but still can't interrupt for exemple "Corla Herald of Twilight in Blackrock caverns" her DARK COMMAND (4 sec fear). I know it's interruptable, but every time she got me feared to. So what do I use to interrupt that ?

Kikkie
    Interrupt? You don't interrupt, the dps/tank do. And fear ward yourself and tell the dps to stop sucking.

10+ Year Old Account
    This is my character.

I read indeed the link 3 times but still can't interrupt for exemple "Corla Herald of Twilight in Blackrock caverns" her DARK COMMAND (4 sec fear). I know it's interruptable, but every time she got me feared to. So what do I use to interrupt that ? It's not mentioned in your link

Kikkie
    FYI. Interrupting is not your responsability - that's solely for the dps or the tank if possible.
    If anyone tells you otherwise, then slap them with a wet toast.

Quote Originally Posted by Wablakin View Post
    Apparently you didn't feel the guide was enough.

3. If you need to use FH on tank you are most likely doing something wrong. You obviously focusing on the wrong things, it is no issue to move from fire while being a healer, or dps, or tank for that matter. It's about not being a clueless tunnelvisioneer.
    What do i need to do otherwise if I see the tank health dropping sudden to less then 1/2. And 1 or 2 DPS is also loosing health. It happens always. And I try to keep health bar of Tank and DPS as high as possible. I think that's the problem. But DPS still complaining while the health of tank is ok and unther control. I use then PoH and CoH after I placed already lightwell (that nobody use even after I explained it). So I really like to know from some Pro's here what advice you can give me. I only try to keep everyone's health ok. What do I wrong? Do I have to heal only tank and sometimes DPS? DO i have to let the healtbar of DPS drop down and only heal when it's very low?

Kikkie

Deleted
    What do i need to do otherwise if I see the tank health dropping sudden to less then 1/2. And 1 or 2 DPS is also loosing health. It happens always. And I try to keep health bar of Tank and DPS as high as possible. I think that's the problem. But DPS still complaining while the health of tank is ok and unther control. I use then PoH and CoH after I placed already lightwell (that nobody use even after I explained it). So I really like to know from some Pro's here what advice you can give me. I only try to keep everyone's health ok. What do I wrong? Do I have to heal only tank and sometimes DPS? DO i have to let the healtbar of DPS drop down and only heal when it's very low?

Kikkie
    It doesn't "suddently drop to 1/2" unless the tank is seriously undergeared or you focus on random shit instead of the tank. If the dps is taking too much avoidable damage I just let them die, I'm a douche like that. You tell the dps that if they stand in avoidable shit they die. You also tell them that they only heals they will get during fight X is the lightwell, use it wisely. You heal what needs healing, the tank and unavoidable damage, this is more true if you have crap gear and can't overheal everyone just because you out regen it.

10+ Year Old Account
    If the dps in your group overaggro a lot and stand in stuff, then your job becomes a lot more difficult.
    Remember, not only you needs to play at their best - others do as well. If you just hit 85 and your gear is bad,
    trying to keep everyone at 100% is going to be impossible.

Prioritise. Know the fights, see who gets the most dmg. Do not be a tunnel-visionaire*. Be aware of all your surroundings.
    Watch where you stand, watch the health bars and try to observe what the others are doing. If your tank is dying and a dps suddenly gets aggro - well, if your gear is not good and you're too slow on a possible Guardian Spirit, say goodbye to that poor guy.

I cannot recommend any special tactics and stuff. I have been healing since I started WoW all those years ago. The best way to learn is to wipe, wipe, wipe. I mean practice, practice, practice. There is no video out there teaching you the intricate details of healing. You may know the basics, but the rest comes with experience.

*Is there such a word, haha?

Kikkie
    The only thing you can do about not getting feared is to put fear ward on yourself. It has 3 min cooldown though I think. DPS really NEEDS to use lightwell, if they don't then they are bad. I usually try to put it between where the melee and the ranged are so both can use it fairly easily. Your healing should mostly be focused on the tank in heroics. Nearly all damage dps might take in heroics is avoidable. I think there are a few exceptions, but I can't think of any at the moment. I would also say the whole renew should only be used on the tank thing is mostly only true in raids so I wouldn't worry about it too much.

Thanks a lot the answers helped me a lot. I now can figure out what I did wrong. Can someone tell me if my character is ok for heroics/raiding http//eu.battle.net/wow/en/character/shattered-hand/kikkie/advanced

Just get Grid for the beginning. Configure it to only show debuffs you can remove, so you won't waste mana on disspells.
    Click and press the button for the spell you want to use. If your comfortable with using Grid, make mouseover macros for every spell.

Something like this:
    #showtooltip renew
    /cast [target=mouseover] renew

You just have to move the cursor over the person you want to heal in Grid and push the button.
    Yeah, I'm a lazy person.
    There are tons of ways to play a healer, just find the right one for you.
    Also, healing has become more difficult in cata because you can go oom (especially if DPS suck) or you have to waste CDs and burn mana like an idiot to keep people standing in fires alive. The only thing a good healer can do about this is minimizing his own standing in fire time and using CDs/ trinkets wisely (especially those that help conserve mana in high pressure situations).

if you have no idea how to use an addon, u clearly didnt do as much research as you mentioned at the beginning of your post. most healing addons have clear and user-friendly tutorials on origin page or/and on youtube. picking right addon for you is a personal matter and you should try some of them to find the one that suits you best.
    healbot is good for begginers, after a while, when you will know exactely what you want from your addon, you can switch to vuhdo or grid with some pluggins.

NO ADDON WILL MOVE YOU FROM FIRE. start moving yourself. if you find it overwhelming, perhaps you should try playing hello kitty instead.
    there are addons providing warnings (not sure but maybe blizzard ui provides it now as well?) about your health and mana level. but if you cannot see fire in time, not sure if you will see a warning. replace flash heal with binding heal. if you die a lot maybe its worth to drop your 1 point from sol and put it in desperate prayer?

you have a spell called fear ward, which you can cast on yourself before the fight on which you expect fear effect, and it will 'consume' the first fear casted at you. if you expect more fears after and your fearward is on cd, dont hesitate keeping renews on raid so you know they will be healed up while you will be on the run.
    remove debuffs - nice reading of the guids eh? ^^ - you can set it either on your healing addon or use addon only for it, let it be even oldschool but always awesome, decursive.

when mobs are hitting you - press fade. when you dont act fast enough on moving from rocks/fire, then sorry - you are just too slow. maybe its tunnel vision, maybe you dont pay attention to what is happening around you, just staring at health frames? you just have to look at what is happening to you - you can read bout fights in advance, so you will know what to expect, what kind of effect to look at, how to angle your camera. and remove flash here from wherever you have it, action bars, bindings, use binding heal instead.

Dude babylon... snarky much? First there are plenty of addons out there that give minimal explanation of how exactly to get the to do what you want them to do, and many have awful interfaces for changing options. Yes picking an addon is a personal matter but there really is nothing at all wrong with asking other people what they find works for them.

Pretty sure Kikkie wasn't asking for an addon to move him from the fire just a way to help him notice it more (on that note Kikkie try DeadlyBoss Mods or Bigwigs). It's a common problem for people (especially people new to healing) to focus so much on everyone else that they forget about themselves.

Also.. if you had read more than one of Kikkie's posts you would have seen that he was clearly talking about in heroics not in raids and the guides are of limited help there because honestly some of the advise just doesn't translate well. Take a deep breath, it will be ok...

@Kikkie- you look like you should be able to handle healing heroics. A big part of healing is having the ability to know which spell to use when and for what situation and a lot of that just comes with practice and learning your spells really well.

10+ Year Old Account
    Hi,

Thanks for helping me

Kikkie
    I love my holy priest, Darsayan.

1 - I use healbot. It's really easy to get used to. In options, you specific for the left, right, middle, button4, and button5 (if your mouse supports them), what you want a spell to do. You can also type the name of the spell under modifiers. For instance, left-click for me is Flash Heal, with middle being renew, and right being Heal. With a shift on right, I cast Greater Heal, and with a shift on the button5 (third), I cast Prayer of Mending. Shift middle is Circle of Healing, and Control-Left is Dispel Magic. To use Healbot, all you do is click with or without the button you want on the name of the person in the grid, and the spell will be cast on that person. I deeply recommend that you keep all of the spells on your bars, too, just in case. A few tips: move, even if you're casting a heal. You're no use to the group when you're dead. Throw a quick renew or even a Circle of Healing and then get the heck out! You can also pop a shield on the tank before moving so you have a chance to get a heal off. You can also try staying close to max range whenever possible to avoid the most "bad things".

2 - You're not set up to interrupt. Your interrupt is a 45 second cooldown. Leave that for other members of the team. For removing debuffs, you have the Dispel Magic and Cleanse (I think that is what it is called..or Cure Disease. Dunno...since I use Healbot I've forgotten some of the names). Assign those to a modifer click in Healbot. For instance, you can control-left-click to remove a magical effect. Those under magical effects will appear blue in the grid, while those with diseases will appear purple.

3 - Yes, and no. This is what I do: for a fight that is AoE heavy, I will use Chakra, then Prayer of Mending on the tank. That puts me into sanctuary, and I can use my AoE heals. I will flash heal the tank from time to time when AoE damage is incoming to reduce cast time of Prayer of Healing and mana cost, then use that. The effect stacks, so you can save it. Circle of Healing should be up most of the time during this, and I switch to Inner Will to reduce the mana cost of that and Renew. For a fight that is mainly the tank, I pop Chakra, then Renew & Heal on the tank to move into Serenity. This is where management is key. I put Holy Word: Serenity on the tank ONLY when he has dropped to 60% health. Once I do that, I spam heal on him instead of larger heals because Serenity grants a 25% crit to heal. I throw out the occasional renew/heal on other members if they're taking damage. I stay in Inner Fire for fights like this. If you get aggro: use Fade. Big big time use there. Fade will almost always get them off you. If it comes down to it, you can put a Guardian Spirit on you, which will let you die, drop aggro, and start again.

One more thing - mana is key here, so you don't want to Greater Heal before Flash Heal. Flash Heal will give you a reduced mana cost and cast time of Prayer of Healing and Greater Heal that stacks 3 times. So if you see the tank taking a lot of damage, put on Hold Word: Serenity, Flash Heal, Greater Heal, heal, heal, heal. If you Flash Heal second, you waste the mana and the proc.
    Last edited by Darsithis; 2011-04-27 at 02:59 PM.

get grid, use mouse over macros, keep ur tank hotted you're pro now