Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst
... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Badpaladin View Post
    Just like it's been proven that video games lead to violence and smoking pot leads to meth addiction, right? Stress relief is healthy. Personally, I'd suggest climbing a mountain more than anything else, but sadly it seems barely anybody here is interested in a such a thing, hence the punching bag is suggested.

You are correct about the suicideal tendancy being an issue, though. But then again, how can you know it's sincere? People do shit like that for attention all the time, not because they're seriously mentally disturbed.
    Stress relief is indeed healthy, but punching things when you are angry or sad is a form of violence that can and does easily turn to abuse. By the way, I friggen' love hiking and anything related to it. It clears your head more than anything in the world.

As far as the kid's sincerity is concerned, whether or not he may kill himself... you're right. It COULD be a desperate plea for attention, he may very well be fine. But shit man, I'm not going to gamble on a friends life for any reason. Even if it is a ploy, he is obviously desperate and needs help dealing with his depression.

Quote Originally Posted by Doifer View Post
    Stress relief is indeed healthy, but punching things when you are angry or sad is a form of violence that can and does easily turn to abuse. By the way, I friggen' love hiking and anything related to it. It clears your head more than anything in the world.

As far as the kid's sincerity is concerned, whether or not he may kill himself... you're right. It COULD be a desperate plea for attention, he may very well be fine. But shit man, I'm not going to gamble on a friends life for any reason. Even if it is a ploy, he is obviously desperate and needs help dealing with his depression.
    More often then not how people relieve stress eventually can become the stresser (is that a word?) take WoW for example, or drugs and alcohol.

Quote Originally Posted by UncleSilas View Post
    High ground? She's(I assume a she, sue me) left the freaking atmosphere.
    Quote Originally Posted by whoranzone View Post
    People already stated here that professional help is probably advised. And seriously it's just hilarious how you try to take the moral high ground there.
    My points were obviously directed at those that posted their simple 'grow a pair' replies. Hence my multiple references to those comments.

Quote Originally Posted by Badpaladin View Post
    How do you stop it? Tell said person to get over it and stop opening themselves up to that kind of crap. If they're emotionally unstable enough to the point of fucking committing suicide, they shouldn't be on the internet in the first place.

Cyber-Bullying is only as bad as the victim allows it to be.
    I can't really express my feelings on the subject about commiting suicide. If I would I would probably get infracted. Since many people would think my opinion are a bit harsh. But this comment that I quoted pretty much said what I believe.
    And for you interested people. It has to do with that I think people that commit suicide are very selfish, and don't think about the consequences of their death. And also that they are, well, mentally weak.
    Armory: http://eu.battle.net/wow/en/characte...ealar/advanced

Raid Stream: http://www.twitch.tv/pappahealar

Guild Website: http://www.excesse-guild.net/ (Dismissed and seized raiding early 2011, March.)

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by fartman69 View Post
    More often then not how people relieve stress eventually can become the stresser (is that a word?) take WoW for example, or drugs and alcohol.
    wow isnt stress relief its escapism the stress is still there but you kinda try to out run it for sometime its why a lot of people get addicted the more they play the longer they play.

Quote Originally Posted by Doifer View Post
    My points were obviously directed at those that posted their simple 'grow a pair' replies. Hence my multiple references to those comments.
    There's only a couple of ways of looking at this...

1. There's a deeper problem, such as a mental condition.

2. It's just cyber-bullying.

If it's just cyber-bullying, I have no more pity than I would if a chubby kid threatened to kill himself for being called 'fatty' at school...maybe less, since Example Chubby Kid #1 can't hit 'block player' on the playground like it was Call of Duty.
    By Blood and Honor We Serve!

Xbox live has an ignore function, how do you even get bullied on Xbox

Deleted
    Nothing helps more than a backbone, sadly they're in rare supply these days. Tell the kid to talk to his parents if it's upsetting him that much, but if something like this upsets him that much, how the hell is he meant to function in society...

Quote Originally Posted by Pappahealar View Post
    It has to do with that I think people that commit suicide are very selfish, and don't think about the consequences of their death. And also that they are, well, mentally weak.
    You cannot live your life for other people, taking your own life isn't selfish in any way.

And mentally weak? Have you even heard of mental illnesses?

Quote Originally Posted by Pappahealar View Post
    It has to do with that I think people that commit suicide are very selfish, and don't think about the consequences of their death. And also that they are, well, mentally weak.
    Isn't it more selfish just to live for the people who care for you?

Quote Originally Posted by UncleSilas View Post
    Nothing helps more than a backbone, sadly they're in rare supply these days. Tell the kid to talk to his parents if it's upsetting him that much, but if something like this upsets him that much, how the hell is he meant to function in society...
    Bullying is not the norm within society, it happens yes, but to a different degree. It's rare for it push someone to the point where they want to kill themselves.
    Last edited by nixcookies; 2011-05-02 at 01:02 AM.

Well this is certainly helpful for anyone being "cyber-bullied". *sarcasm off*
    You people need to get off your high horse and start having a soul. Telling people that are being harassed to "suck it up", "grow some balls", and "deal with it" is the opposite of what they need. Telling them to get off the internet also, really?
    I've never been a victim of cyber bullying, I have very thick skin and can handle it, but I realize that there are others who cannot handle such harassment, and that isn't their fault, you shouldn't flame others for that, you're being part of the problem.
    The OP came in here asking for help, and all he got was more harassment.
    Maybe I'm too soft, its my fault for hoping people would act decent. Treating others the way you'd like to be treated is long dead I know, but think for a minute, if you were being harassed and came looking for help, how would you like it if all you got was "deal with it"?
    Last edited by Fiddlesnarf; 2011-05-02 at 01:05 AM.

Why not be Selfish, its your life to take?!?! I hate it when people say "people who commit suicide are conceited or self centered" life will go on without one person.

Quote Originally Posted by Fiddlesnarf View Post
    You people need to get off your high horse and start having a soul. Telling people that are being harassed to "suck it up", "grow some balls", and "deal with it" is the opposite of what they need. Telling them to get off the internet also, really?
    I've never been a victim of cyber bullying, I have very thick skin and can handle it, but I realize that there are others who cannot handle such harassment, and that isn't their fault, you shouldn't flame others for that, you're being part of the problem.
    I seriously expected more from you Badpaladin.
    I didn't want to be the one to say it, but this is pretty much exactly how I feel.
    Telling people just to "get over it" is just being an ass, no matter how you try to hide it.

I'm surprised you people are angrier at the kid getting bullied than the kids doing the bullying.
    At least, that's what it feels like.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Fiddlesnarf View Post
    Maybe I'm too soft, its my fault for hoping people would act decent.
    No, sucking it up is what people need. This notion that you should express every sad little emotion is sickening, for christ sake deal with your burdens and stop relying on everyone else. Self reliance is a wonderful thing you know.

Deleted
    I wonder tho who would go to the extend to start Cyber-bullying and how the bloody hell you can get targeted. Because in most cases, you can just block communication with said person, which is kind of impossible in real life (Altho, simply ignoring works just as good.)

I think the same thing applies here: Don't respond. Responding means provoking said bully. If you take everything serious and think everything everyone says about you is true, then you shouldn't come on the internet.
    So yes, sucking it up and shrugging it off is the best way to deal with any bully.
    Last edited by mmocfce925a786; 2011-05-02 at 01:08 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Lightfist View Post
    There's only a couple of ways of looking at this...

1. There's a deeper problem, such as a mental condition.

2. It's just cyber-bullying.

If it's just cyber-bullying, I have no more pity than I would if a chubby kid threatened to kill himself for being called 'fatty' at school...maybe less, since Example Chubby Kid #1 can't hit 'block player' on the playground like it was Call of Duty.
    People kill themselves, they take their lives for seemingly small reasons. It happens, your apathy towards those types of people is frightening since it seems more and more common. If I were being bullied at school or online or wherever, I wouldn't want your "pity". I'd want you to keep your snide, elitist comments to yourself. A close friend of mine hung himself while we were in high school. I had known that he was unhappy but I never knew the stupid comments or slurs people threw at him hurt him so deeply. If someone gives you a warning sign as obvious as stating they may kill themselves. Don't brush it off.

Quote Originally Posted by Tiglits View Post
    I'm surprised you people are angrier at the kid getting bullied than the kids doing the bullying.
    At least, that's what it feels like.
    i've been bullied before too and im sure others in this thread have, he needs to just grow up and move past it, possibly talk to someone? it will pass and he may not be better for it but he wont be dead

A shame so many people assume everyone can handle things the same way.

I do think he needs to take a break from the internet if he can't handle being trolled. I don't advise telling him "grow a pair", though. I assume your friend is pretty young, and probably has no one to talk to about this stuff. Be that person! Criticizing him and chiding him, what good does that do? You don't stop being a sensitive person if your best friend tells you to grow up. You become more sensitive.

See, everyone here is also under the impression that cyber-bullying is only attacking someone directly. It could also be spreading lies and rumors about that person, telling their friends not to interact with them, and so on. We don't know the situation, so how do you know that it's not possibly someone from school ruining the kid's social life? Can have some seriously, seriously horrible effects on a kid's mental state.

@Fartman69: and I'm glad you've got that strength. A lot of people just feel desolate about their situations. They're not in the mental state to continue. Do you want them to apologize for not being as stalwart as you are? People are different; they might be more sensitive than you, and they might not feel like they can just "get over it" as easily.

Quote Originally Posted by alms1407 View Post

We do not know the context in which this person was being bullied so I think it's wrong for people here to judge the guy as we know very little.
    This. Most kids would be upset if this kind of thing happened to them that I find it strange that people think they would not (or would not have depending on their age) felt terrible if it was them.