View Poll Results: Do you think the Acid in the eyes punishment is right?

Voters
784. This poll is closed
  • Yes

506 64.54%
  • No

278 35.46%
Page 46 of 54 FirstFirst ...
... LastLast
    i'm seeing the words "civilized" "modern society" and "justice" thrown around quite alot on here and would like to ask: what about what is RIGHT? where did people get so confused on the concept of right and wrong and there being REAL consequences to ones actions and not just hiding them away like some terrible secret.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Twoflower View Post
    I am not surprised that Iran has such barbaric laws.

I am very ashamed about people who should know better but just babble nonsence in some lust for blood. We are the civiliced part of this world. Act like it ffs.
    lol have you watched tv lately?

were you around last week when, justified or not the entire western world celebrated the death of a man?

we pretend to be civilized, but we're nothing more than what we've ever been...

animals
    He who joyfully marches to music in rank and file has already earned my contempt. He has been given a large brain by mistake, since for him the spinal cord would suffice. --Albert Einstein

Field Marshal
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Dragon9870 View Post
    ^ Everyone needs to give this post a serious read-through and stop thinking they're immune to everything.

THIS IS NOT WARCRAFT, PEOPLE! NO ONE HAS A DIVINE SHIELD.
    Yeah, like I said before, it's easy to talk shit about it when it's not your face ruined.

You guys forget too fast(or probably dont even know about it...) about the criminals that do even worse things when they are finally out of prison.

And to be really honest, I think most of these ppl have no idea what is REAL violence. I live in Brazil. I'm 100% sure anyone with that "human rights", etc, bullshit would change his mind after spending a few years with his family here.

10+ Year Old Account
    I understand the whole eye for an eye philosophy, but I think if you're going to punish people, then punish them. Don't maim them. This seems to me to be a misguided sense of justice. I can see very clearly the reasons for allowing a punishment of this sort to be handed out, but I can't say I think it's okay. I see this serving as a deterrent to crime, definitely, but at the same time I think it is taking things too far. They're letting the victim carry out the sentence as well, so that pushes me even closer to thinking this is being made to be an act of revenge.

Mixed feelings all around, but I lean toward this being excessive.

The Unstoppable Force Resentful's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by foxHeart View Post
    I understand the whole eye for an eye philosophy, but I think if you're going to punish people, then punish them. Don't maim them. This seems to me to be a misguided sense of justice. I can see very clearly the reasons for allowing a punishment of this sort to be handed out, but I can't say I think it's okay. I see this serving as a deterrent to crime, definitely, but at the same time I think it is taking things too far. They're letting the victim carry out the sentence as well, so that pushes me even closer to it being completely about revenge or payback or whathaveyou.

Mixed feelings all around, but I lean toward this being excessive.
    Heh; This makes me wonder how I think about thing's now

Thanks

To the Americans who think this is just... Dont you have some document saying cruel and unusual punishments are wrong - and also saying everyone can have guns and have the right to speak their mind?

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by BigPimpin View Post
    lol have you watched tv lately?

were you around last week when, justified or not the entire western world celebrated the death of a man?

we pretend to be civilized, but we're nothing more than what we've ever been...

animals
    That's one of the things I actually found rather disgusting about it all.
    I'm not against killing people who, as I put it, 'need to be killed'. bin Laden was one of those people, at least according to those who did it. (I don't see any point in debating it now, as it's a moot point, and not relevant to the issue at hand.)
    He was at risk to kill again, and I have never been against killing in self defense. Although this situation is a rather generous interpretation of self-defense, I feel it still applies.

What disgusted me, however, was how pleased people were over it. They were cheering and chanting in the streets.
    A man was killed, and regardless of his crimes, this should never be a cause for celebration.

I liked the response our Prime Minister gave.
    "Canada receives the news of the death of Osama bin Laden with sober satisfaction. We will continue to stand firm with our allies against the threat of global terrorism."

Sober satisfaction. I don't think I could've said it better myself.

Why does nobody care about the victim?
    Keep The Beats!

Stood in the Fire
    10+ Year Old Account
    Just curious... To all those saying you find this punishment wrong, what punishment would you recommend?

Quote Originally Posted by Kesia View Post
    Just curious... To all those saying you find this punishment wrong, what punishment would you recommend?
    Comb through the thread. They vote - slap on the wrists, punishments are bad.
    Keep The Beats!

10+ Year Old Account
    My mind says, no this is not something that should be allowed and is not justified. Legally at least.

My feeling however, says yes this is totally justified as I can imagine what hell that woman must have gone through. And supposedly the guy actually did this on purpose and was aware of the bad consequences for her. Throw that acid in his eyes already, and other places you can think off.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by TheImmortalLordAtlas View Post
    Why does nobody care about the victim?
    It's quite obvious.

The harm is done and can't be undone. Therefor it's completely irrelevant to think about it.

At least that's the impression all the "No"-sayers give me in this thread.

Quote Originally Posted by Koen View Post
    My mind says, no this is not something that should be allowed and is not justified. Legally at least.

My feeling however, says yes this is totally justified as I can imagine what hell that woman must have gone through. And supposedly the guy actually did this on purpose and was aware of the bad consequences for her. Throw that acid in his eyes already, and other places you can think off.
    a) He obviously did. You don't accidently throw acid on somebody. b) What kind of idiot doesn't realize the consequences for the victim? He'd deserve to be put down just for that.
    Keep The Beats!

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Atrea View Post
    A man was killed, and regardless of his crimes, this should never be a cause for celebration.
    I hate to pull this card, but you just don't understand the cause for celebration if this is your sentiment. It has much less to do with the fact that he himself is dead, and more to do with the near ten years of war, chasing, attempted and failed plots, and the parade of a media storm that came from it. It was less about knowing a bullet was put in his head, and more about knowing that the man who brought a living hell to oh so many people, had finally been shipped one way to hell himself.
    It was less about the man, and more about the idea. You keep your civilization for all I care, but as someone who directly knew people who died at 9/11, I've been sleeping like a baby since this serial killer was shot.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Zeppelin535 View Post
    Those people can and should be held accountable.
    If he was a jealous guy wanting to hurt this girl because she didnt want to marry him, then sure he should be punished. (I still think acid in the eyes is abit much..) If he's a psycho, then he needs to be kept away from everyone, but you cant really punish him in the same ways as normal people. First of all, he wont understand its a punishment. He'll probably just think mean people are hurting him for no reason. Secondly if he doesnt understand what he did, how can you think its okay for someone who fully understands it to do it to him?

If he doesnt understand he is being punished, or why he is being punished it pretty much defeats the purpose of it.. unless you just want revenge (Again, very understandable that she wants revenge, but it still doesnt mean she should be allowed to).
    Lock him up untill he dies so he doesnt do anything insane again, but dont burn out his eyes..

Stood in the Fire
    10+ Year Old Account
    I skimmed a good 20 pages or so and found tons of right/wrong, good/bad, totally acceptable/totally inhumane! responses but I'm wondering exactly what punishment people would find appropriate.

actually we just say inprisonment... just like if he was a murderer, he should go to prison - not be killed, not get his eyes burned out

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Jaxi View Post
    I hate to pull this card, but you just don't understand the cause for celebration if this is your sentiment. It has much less to do with the fact that he himself is dead, and more to do with the near ten years of war, chasing, attempted and failed plots, and the parade of a media storm that came from it. It was less about knowing a bullet was put in his head, and more about knowing that the man who brought a living hell to oh so many people, had finally been shipped one way to hell himself.
    It was less about the man, and more about the idea. You keep your civilization for all I care, but as someone who directly knew people who died at 9/11, I've been sleeping like a baby since this serial killer was shot.
    If only this was what everyone is celebrating..

Hey look government sponsored revenge.