Page 1 of 6
... LastLast
    Deleted

[Books] Can somebody please explain the Twilight hate?

I don't want this thread to be filled with "LOL SPARKLING VAMPIRES AND" and stuff like that - It has nothing to do with what I'm asking.

Still; Why is it, every thread, or every post I read about Twilight bashes it in some form or another? Am I missing something completely obvious? Or is it just the "cool" thing to do, to appease your peers? Some of the "arguments against/opinions against" are:

It's not a literary classic:
    I read the books before they were caught up in the hype. Now, I see a lot of people say "It's not a classic, it never will be" - but this makes me beg the question, how many books do you read that are instant classics? I've read a lot of books in my years, and used them as an "escape" into other worlds, and I have a hard time thinking of books that I've read that can be counted as books that will go down in time as classics (Obviously not counting Lord of the Rings series/Narnia/Harry Potter) Is it because the books/films are so successful that there will generally be more haters? But it seems any thread breeds more haters than people who like it...?

Stephanie Meyer is obviously "imprinting" herself onto Bella Swan:
    This is a silly argument to disregard an entire series in my opinion, and yes, I've seen countless people say this. Why is this such a terrible crime, that an author gives a part of herself to the main character. Wouldn't it be easier to write about someone in your own shoes? Doesn't it make it easier to build a character, when you know from your own experiences how this character will react in certain situations, and make it feel less "forced"?

I genuinely don't like the story:
    This is fair enough - People have their own tastes.

I don't like it because all these other people don't like it:
    Well, that's just plain immature. To me, this seems to represent a lot of the "hater base" Is it so wrong, to like this series? Now, I can make jokes about the series, and yes, some things I don't like from it (It's a bit overly emotional in places) but, it's a love story, there's no two ways about it. The blurb on the books will show you this. Is it because people watch it expecting blood and gore, and get...sparkle sparkle instead? For me, it was refreshing to read a story that wasn't "omg evil vampire must kill everyone with a lycan army right around the corner!" It's been done so many times, that instead, she humanized some of the vampires (Yes, you still have your 'bad' guys)

I don't like it because it has a happy ending:
    Now this one, is another one, I can kind of see why people wouldn't like it. If you don't want the last film/book spoiled, read past this paragraph. For me, i'm going to be honest, I was glad it didn't end in blood and gore, and half the characters you "connected" with left decimated. This leaves it open for any more books that she might/could release about these particular characters you've read. It's for this reason I was "kind of" disappointed with the Harry Potter books. The ending was so finale. There was no chance for more books. Some people like their happy endings, some people like their happy endings with survivors and casualties.

And i'll just clear up, i'm not a die-hard Twilight cult fan. I've read the books a few times, seen the films a few times more, and I'm genuinely confused as to why there is so much hate for a series that I think isn't as bad as most people make it out to be - So please, am I just on a different page to everyone else?

They don't say on the front cover "ACTION PACKED INSTANT THRILLER" - You know what you're reading. You know it's going to aimed at a "younger" audience. It's not a literary classic, I agree. However, in my opinion, it's not this god-awful book of derp that it's so often seen as.

I don't know about the hate towards it, but I don't like the books because I tried reading them and the writers style of writing personally annoyed me. There was a lot of "oh look you are using that method to try and draw me in... how exciting". So it was a very hard thing for me to get past. I have long been a fan of vampire and werewolf books, so it's not the subject matter or anything. Just something about how she writes felt like I was being pandered to.

On the subject of the movies (I know you put books but most hate is directed at the movies from what I have seen) I tried to watch the first one because some books I can't bare to read come across great as movies... and it was personally painful. I felt like the acting was awful and stilted. Just really couldn't get into it. Also, I couldn't help comparing it to Interview With A Vampire and I am sorry but all the people who were vampires (even lol Tom Cruise) did a much better job of it in that movie. Though I also feel like Ann Rice is a much better writer as well and that makes a difference.

Maybe I am just too old to appreciate Twilight though.

Herald of the Titans
    10+ Year Old Account
    The reason I don't like it is that:
    First, I see no reason for someone for what I know is above onehundred years old to go to high school.
    Two, I really see no reason for him to fall for a quite boring girl who isn't even 1/20th his age.
    Three, I find the fact that he's such a major Pedophile to be quite disturbing.
    Four, I find that she's a necrophile equally amounts disturbing. (If you some how justify being in love with an undead creature as not being into dead people. Well, more to you).

Also, I'd say this: theoatmeal.com/story/twilight covers twilight pretty good when looking at it.

PS: I also have an intense dislike towards many Twilight fans, since seeing a 14-18 year old girl yell "This is the best thing written ever!" Doesn't make me think well of the future. Neither does the duplicity of "Twiligt moms" drooling over the men. Had it been 45 year old men drooling over the 16 year old girl people would have been outraged.

10+ Year Old Account

Pretty much this.

Quote Originally Posted by Kisuro View Post

Pretty much this.
    Yep.

Normally I also don't judge fans so hard, but I happened to be at Wal-Mart (strike 1 for me?) when they had the midnight release of the book/movie/coffee mug/whatever, and it was...sad. You can't judge a book by it's cover, but in this case I was perfectly able to judge a book by its fans. Cataclysm release had nothing on this turnout, and it wasn't a pretty one.

Quote Originally Posted by Muzjhath View Post
    The reason I don't like it is that:
    First, I see no reason for someone for what I know is above onehundred years old to go to high school.
    Two, I really see no reason for him to fall for a quite boring girl who isn't even 1/20th his age.
    Three, I find the fact that he's such a major Pedophile to be quite disturbing.
    Four, I find that she's a necrophile equally amounts disturbing. (If you some how justify being in love with an undead creature as not being into dead people. Well, more to you).

Also, I'd say this: theoatmeal.com/story/twilight covers twilight pretty good when looking at it.

PS: I also have an intense dislike towards many Twilight fans, since seeing a 14-18 year old girl yell "This is the best thing written ever!" Doesn't make me think well of the future. Neither does the duplicity of "Twiligt moms" drooling over the men. Had it been 45 year old men drooling over the 16 year old girl people would have been outraged.
    hmm. well i dont seem to have this problem when i read vampire books..

maybe if you would see it like this.

he became vampire at 17. so he is forever frozen at the age of 17. they also explain that by going to school their "vampire family" fit into society without too many eyebrow raising.

i can tell that you haven't actually read the books because they do explain this.

all of last year was like a vampire book reading year for me. started with the original Bram Stokers-Dracula, to Anne Rice-interview with a vampire and finished it up with twilight.

and when it comes to vampire novels people just have to understand that each and every author will take vampire legend and twist it to how they want there story to be. Ann Rice vampire are nothing at all like Bram Stoker. so why do ppl expect Meyer's vampires to follow all of the vampires traditions? it her goddamn book. if she wants them to sparkle, dammit let them sparkle!
    Last edited by PlatedPriest; 2011-05-23 at 03:12 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by adam86shadow View Post
    I hear people say bring War back to World of Warcraft, well how about bringing World back to World of Warcraft

I admit I've not read the series. However, in the blog circles I frequent, the biggest complaint from adult women who have read it is the disturbing psychological undertones with Bella and Edward. Not really the surface of things, as I think the author writes about it all in a positive light, but the message that relationship sends to the young girls who read the series if you back away from the "tilt" the author has given it to really look at the actions of the characters. I want to say some of the folks I've read were disturbed about the stalkerish and controlling behavior of Edward towards Bella, and how it was perceived as "romantic" instead of "disturbing" and a sign of an abusive relationship as it would be if a guy was doing it in the real world? And how Bella's wishes in life revolved obsessively in a dependent way around Edward? It was the weird, unhealthy relationships that really got to the folks I follow, not any author-avatar/Mary Sue thing.

I should probably pick them up eventually to confirm this, I just haven't found the strength to.

Deleted
    I can understand where the "abusive" relationship comes from...but, I think that comes from reading too much into it if that makes sense? It's perceived on how people read it. Now i'll admit, when I read it...it didn't come off to me as stalkerish/creepy. I do agree that perhaps the way it was written was too much that she "depended" on him to live - The second book, as I said, was too much in regards to "emotions" because this is where it stems from. However, again...if a girl takes a relationship between a mythical creature and a girl to be based on real life, then their are more serious problems with her actual life to consider.

I think, the main problem, is that perhaps the author has a..."innocent" view on love. That whole abusive relationship-esque belief is one of the negatives of the books in my opinion, although I wouldn't go as far as saying that...For me, the second book showed too much of her needing him to live a normal life, which I didn't agree with, but...It didn't influence me to not read the rest of the books

Those pictures are stupid anyway. Reading the books/watching the films, and that doesn't sum up Bella..at all..In fact, she's the opposite of everything described...

Quote Originally Posted by PlatedPriest View Post
    and when it comes to vampire novels people just have to understand that each and every author will take vampire legend and twist it to how they want there story to be. Ann Rice vampire are nothing at all like Bram Stoker. so why do ppl expect Meyer's vampires to follow all of the vampires traditions? it her goddamn book. if she wants them to sparkle, dammit let them sparkle!
    I would highly suggest reading all of Ann Rice's Vampire chronicles... they are amazing. Also... you may not remember this (I am assuming because you mentioned you just read Interview With a Vampire, but there was A LOT of an uproar from people who were fans of Stoker's vampires that Ann Rice's were too "pretty". Every time someone reinvents the stories there are always people who get annoyed that they changed something they particularly liked about the old ones; and then you get the young'ins who have never read the stuff that came before who think the new thing is the best thing ever. Those two things ALWAYS causes issues.

Actually this is true of everything that gets retold throughout the years, not just twilight

Deleted
    If that was aimed at me: I said, I'm not a die-hard fan. It's not the best thing I've ever read, I'm more partial to Con Iggulden as an author, but it pretty much sums up what I said - I like the books for what they are - Not what I perceived them to be.

But I agree, I hate the fanbase of most places "Oh my god, I loved them before they were famous, and now they're so mainstream I must dislike them" - It really annoys me.
    Last edited by mmoc9fada5a631; 2011-05-23 at 04:13 PM.

It's cute how the retard with the my little pony avatar and the furry with the fox avatar talk about how twilight is good.

Read some real literature some time.
    <Mod edit: Infracted>
    Last edited by Chelly; 2011-05-23 at 07:22 PM.

Well to sum it up: I'm a fan of vampires. Vampires should never sparkle!
    A signature infraction is the initiation ritual of MMO-Champion. True story.

Mechagnome
    10+ Year Old Account
    The book ruins vampires, bella is very undescribed ( a bland/ blank model for the reader to imprint themself) and it very tasteless.

Deleted
    Because THIS

Is a vampire, not a angstly sparkley ponce

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Xathian View Post
    It's cute how the retard with the my little pony avatar and the furry with the fox avatar talk about how twilight is good.

Read some real literature some time.
    It's funny how you make presumptions based on an avatar. Get a clue, moron.

There's descriptions here and there. Nothing too in-detail - I guess to give the illusion Bella could be "anyone"

Mechagnome
    10+ Year Old Account
    vampires dont fall in love, they feed on the living and sew chaos and death. they do have the ability to charm anyone but not for "feelings". which they dont have.

Maybe pick books from more adult genres and not the harry potter of vampire books?

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by wok View Post
    Because THIS

*snip*

Is a vampire, not a angstly sparkley ponce
    Thanks for taking the time to read the original post.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Vesoha View Post
    Maybe pick books from more adult genres and not the harry potter of vampire books?
    Would you like a list of everything I've read. This is a particular book I'm talking about, or does the logic of such an impossible feat pass you by?

How about everything written by James Patterson, Or Stephen King...Or Conn Iggulden. How about the life and works of Shakespeare. Robert Frost? Posting random statements in an effort to make my opinion seem less is exactly the reaction I knew it would provoke from the "haters"
    Last edited by mmoc9fada5a631; 2011-05-23 at 04:31 PM.

Mechagnome
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Leesa View Post

There's descriptions here and there. Nothing too in-detail - I guess to give the illusion Bella could be "anyone"
    that is one of the MAJOR issues. characters are supposed to be described not, insert self here. you are supposed to connect with them not be them.