Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ...
LastLast
    15+ Year Old Account
    Poor story concept: In a nutshell- Depressing girl moves to depressing town and falls in love with emotionless "vampire" and then is lusted after by a "werewolf", This book is a vain attempt for the writer to create an alternate reality where she is wanted by multiple guys in some fantasy she cooked up, likely the reason it appeals so much to the teenage female audience. The background story is flimsy at best, very little is explained, and mostly the entire story is filled with either romantic nonsense or Vampire combat.

The "Vampires" in this book are not Vampires, Vampires wake only at night, sleep during the day, lust for blood at any opportunity, immediately burst into flames when touched by Sunlight. The "Vampires" are also described as not having fangs. One of the quintessential features of a vampire is their fangs, needed to reach the deeper veins in the body where all the blood flows so they can feed. Now there is a degree of leeway with these types of things where one can still call something a Vampire, but in this situation it's like tying a party hat on your dog and calling it a Rhino.

The "Werewolves" are described as being able to transform into Wolves, at any time of the day, and when they want to, where as an actual Werewolf (Lycanthrope) only transforms during a full moon, has no say in the matter, becomes completely filled with a bloodlust when it occurs, as well as transforming into human-esque shaped beasts, with hunched backs, razor sharp claws and teeth, covered in fur and stand on their hind legs except when running. The "Werewolves" described in the twilight series should actually be considered Shapeshifters (Therianthrope) who choose wolves as their form.
    /rant
    Last edited by Toskorae; 2011-05-27 at 11:26 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Toskorae View Post
    The "Werewolves" are described as being able to transform into Wolves, at any time of the day, and when they want to, where as an actual Werewolf (Lycanthrope) only transforms during a full moon, has no say in the matter, becomes completely filled with a bloodlust when it occurs, as well as transforming into human-esque shaped beasts, with hunched backs, razor sharp claws and teeth, covered in fur and stand on their hind legs except when running. The "Werewolves" described in the twilight series should actually be considered Shapeshifters (Therianthrope) who choose wolves as their form.
    Fun Fact: The "Werewolves" in the books are actually referred to as shapeshifters. Werewolves are just what the group calls themselves, even if it isn't technically correct.

Never read the books nor watched any of the movies but damn... those Twilight fans are even worse than Harry Potter ones...

If you really want to experience some awesome Vampire-lore try playing Vampire the Masquerade: Redemption and Bloodlines.

Deleted
    Okay I think Moviebob put it way better than I could : http://www.escapistmagazine.com/arti...-With-Twilight

I agree with everything he said. And it also ridicules vampire fantasy beyond any salvageable point.

Quote Originally Posted by Myah View Post
    Harry Potter is popular and it doesn't suck.
    I never claimed the adage made sense, but I'm sure you've encountered people who apply it anyway.

10+ Year Old Account
    Leftcoast 2 blocks from the beach, down the street from a green haze called Venice.
    Quote Originally Posted by Evián View Post
    Now let me make it clear I am all for people bending vampiric lore somewhat to make there story interesting. Someone already stated the differences between Stoker and Rice, and I am fine with it. IMHO vampires, all vampires written/filmed/whatever should have at least three of the same characteristics. Mind you, I'm not talking about how they look but what they are. Firstly, a vampire must live forever. Immortality is imo the true draw of all vampiric lore. Second, they must drink blood. Along with the draw of immortality must come a price, and that price is the need/urge to drink blood human or otherwise. Finally, and this is what truly bothers me about the Twilight series, a vampire must never be able to be in sunlight. The true curse of vampirism is always the loss of something, not of their life that they give up or the fact they have to drink blood, but that they can never experience the warmth of sunlight. Mind you, the way I look at sunlight when it comes to vampiric lore is that the sun represents something "Holy" and "Redeeming".

I have read the first two Twilight books, and I understand why teenage girls are drawn to them. I assume it gives them something to relate to, something to compare their teenage angst to. I will never outright bash an author for doing what they are meant to do, and for this she has done a great job of capturing an audience. Myself however, I will never be a fan or the series mainly because I'm not an angst driven teenage girl, but also because Meyer broke one of my three cardinal rules of vampires.
    read Poppy Z Brite's Lost Souls http://www.amazon.com/Lost-Souls-Pop.../dp/0440212812 it is one of the best modern vampire stories ever, it brakes two out of the three rules you listed.

1. Immortal
    3. Sunlight

the PZB vampire is a species like human that lives for a long time and drinks blood, they don't like sunlight but go out in it with dark sunglasses. Why should I point this book out? Because during the 90's it was a very popular book esp with angsty teenage girls and goths, the Twilight books are aimed more or less at the same people, except goths can tell a pile of (__bleeep__) when they see it and frankly Stephenie Meyers dropped a hot steamy pile of (__Bleeep__) and called it 'Twilight' the Vampires are not Vampires, they are Sparkly fairies, the Heroine is a emo whinny whimp who has no actual reason to be a protagonist, and the Werewolves are neutered puppies.

Deleted
    Well, that's odd. Someone uses her fantasy and creates something that's new, and people start to whine...It sounds familiar. Wait, isn't that with every change? >.< (Nothing about the style/quality, wich may be horrible, you are allowed to bash that :P)

I'm annoyed by my sister who likes the movies and books to much -"It's soooooo romantic...*squeeeeel*"- but that would be the same with any egually romantic story not involving sparkling vampires.

10+ Year Old Account
    While I could write for hours as to why it's a horrible entry into our literature, I'll just touch on the one MAIN reason I don't like the Twilight series...

The fans. Oh, man. The fans. They're worse than Juggalos.
    ill probably be infracted for this post

Deleted
    I haven't read the books so I'll reserve judgement, but all these people using "the fans" as an excuse to not like it is pretty sad. How about judging something on its own merits?

People hate it because they are not in the target demographic, which is why I ignore most pop music.
    Also, because they cemented angsty, sparkly vampires in the mind of the public rather than the lifeless unholy killers they are supposed to be.
    "With this costume, I'll get Asian girls for sure!"
    - Judge Malthred revealing my avatar's inner thoughts

15+ Year Old Account
    Actually, I can explain it. People hate things, people love things. People love things so much that they cant explain why a person hates it. It happens for every single thing in this world. Some are minor, some are major.

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Thorzon View Post
    Fun Fact: The "Werewolves" in the books are actually referred to as shapeshifters. Werewolves are just what the group calls themselves, even if it isn't technically correct.
    My point is still valid.

I'll just leave this here...

Quote Originally Posted by ashley2ashes View Post
    Question for British people: Is that a vulgar sign in Britain?
    Meanwhile, back on Azeroth, the overwhelming majority of the orcs languished in internment camps. One Orc had a dream. A dream to reunite the disparate souls trapped under the lock and key of the Alliance. So he raided the internment camps, freeing those orcs that he could, and reached out to a downtrodden tribe of trolls to aid him in rebuilding a Horde where orcs could live free of the humans who defeated them so long ago. That orc's name was... Rend.

10+ Year Old Account
    Leftcoast 2 blocks from the beach, down the street from a green haze called Venice.
    Quote Originally Posted by JonTargaryen View Post
    Question for British people: Is that a vulgar sign in Britain?
    aye, its an old hand sign created to taught the french, it means "F*** you I have my bow fingers" in the modern age it just means "F*** you"

wiki quote http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/V_sign#V_sign_as_an_insult
    An early recorded use of the "two-fingered salute" is in the Macclesfield Psalter of c.1330 (in the Fitzwilliam Museum, Cambridge), being made by a glove in the Psalter’s marginalia.[7]

According to a popular legend, the two-fingered salute or V sign derives from the gestures of longbowmen fighting in the English army at the Battle of Agincourt (1415) during the Hundred Years' War.[7][17] According to the story, the French claimed that they would cut off the arrow-shooting fingers of all the English and Welsh longbowmen after they had won the battle at Agincourt.[18] But the English came out victorious and showed off their two fingers, still intact. Historian Juliet Barker quotes Jean Le Fevre (who fought on the English side at Agincourt) as saying that Henry V included a reference to the French cutting off longbowmen's fingers in his pre-battle speech.[19] If this is correct it confirms that the story was around at the time of Agincourt, although it does not necessarily mean that the French practised it, just that Henry found it useful for propaganda, and it does not show that the two-fingered salute is derived from the hypothetical behaviour of English archers at that battle.

10+ Year Old Account
    Didn't read the books. The first movie was OKish, second movie was a drag and the third one a complete bore.
    I do not hate twilight, I simply think its the most overrated piece of entertainment I have seen in my 25 years.

What I strongly dislike is the hype and the fans that created this whole twilight-mania. Not only is it not justified but these people go to such extremes to prove their love for the books/movies that it is close to madness.
    Also these movies screwed up Vampires for the next ~5 years. It'll take that long untill I can honestly say again "Vampires are cool".
    "You're messing with my zen thing, man!"

I don't hate Twilight. I couldn't give a shit either way, actually. Those books aren't what I like to read, and so I'm not going to read them. Oh well.

What I hate, though, is the level of lunacy the twilight fans will go to to express their irrational love for a shitty romance novel, as well as the insane things they do to defend it. There was the case of the girl who threw acid at someone in a high school chem class because they were bashing Twilight.

Honestly, Twilight fans, YOU are the ones who make the books look stupid, not necessarily the books themselves.

People hate on it because it is something to hate on. That and its like bandwagon hate (ie: Justin Bieber). People are insecure and and need to feel justified about their existence by hating on something that other hate on too.

I liked the books. But I read them with out comparing them to anything else.

10+ Year Old Account
    vampiers THAT SPARKLE /thread