Page 1 of 3
LastLast
    Deleted

[Movies] Who was Yoda talking about in ESB?

Just had an interesting discussion with my housemate while watching The Empire Strikes Back.

After Luke takes off for Cloud City from Dagobah;

[Obi-Wan] - "That boy is our last hope."
    [Yoda] - "No, there is another"

Who was Yoda talking about?

From being a child and watching this on VHS in the late 80s I'd taken it to mean Anakin Skywalker, i.e. Yoda is saying he can still be a force for good and is still a hope for the light side....Now, and I fully understand why.. My housemate says it refers to Leia.

So have I had a "D'oh" moment or is the line ambigious enough to potentially mean either Anakin or Leia?

Deleted
    Probably Anakin himself. In the end it turns out he wasn't all that bad... you know.

I asked myself this question too and ended up concluding on Anakin. Yoda's second hope is that Anakin sees the wrongs of his way. One thing eventually leads to another.

It is indeed Leia.

Quote Originally Posted by Matooth View Post
    Just had an interesting discussion with my housemate while watching The Empire Strikes Back.

After Luke takes off for Cloud City from Dagobah;

[Obi-Wan] - "That boy is our last hope."
    [Yoda] - "No, there is another"

Who was Yoda talking about?

From being a child and watching this on VHS in the late 80s I'd taken it to mean Anakin Skywalker, i.e. Yoda is saying he can still be a force for good and is still a hope for the light side....Now, and I fully understand why.. My housemate says it refers to Leia.

So have I had a "D'oh" moment or is the line ambigious enough to potentially mean either Anakin or Leia?

I believe he was referring to Leia.

I always thought it was Leia.

Sorry, but your housemate is right. It is Leia. She is Luke's sister after all, and a powerful but untrained force user in her own right.

Quote Originally Posted by Manifestatio View Post
    Probably Anakin himself. In the end it turns out he wasn't all that bad... you know.

I asked myself this question too and ended up concluding on Anakin. Yoda's second hope is that Anakin sees the wrongs of his way. One thing eventually leads to another.
    100% agreeing that's my answer aswell.
    Also Anakin FTW!

Quote Originally Posted by ImShelledIn View Post
    I believe he was referring to Leia.
    On this death bed, Yoda talks of Luke training her to become a Jedi. I personally believe that Yoda wanted them two to reform the Jedi. I think this would be a terrible idea. The balance was returned to the force by the destruction of the Sith & the Jedi. With Light there is Dark, and who knows how powerful it might be if it where to return.

The only way to ensure that there is no Sith, is for their to be no Jedi. I know off topic, but I never thought i'd be able to explain that

Deleted
    I always assumed it was Leia as i always guessed both obi-wan and yoda thought vader was just too far gone and lost in the dark side n that if luke failed they could get Leia to do it for them (she always seemed to be the more strong-willed of the twins so properly would've mastered the force quicker).

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Thornar View Post
    On this death bed, Yoda talks of Luke training her to become a Jedi. I personally believe that Yoda wanted them two to reform the Jedi. I think this would be a terrible idea. The balance was returned to the force by the destruction of the Sith & the Jedi. With Light there is Dark, and who knows how powerful it might be if it where to return.

The only way to ensure that there is no Sith, is for their to be no Jedi. I know off topic, but I never thought i'd be able to explain that
    No need to get philosophical over movies.

Quote Originally Posted by Thornar View Post

Not necessarily. The Sith could always reform even if there were no Jedi, it just means there'd be no one to stop them.

It you look at it from a cinematic and storytelling standpoint, which the first three did very well, then there's no question that 'there is another' refers to Leia.

The plot point of Luke being Vader's son hadn't been revealed yet, and that is in inference to the next major plot point, that of Luke being Leia's twin sister.

The two characters involved in the exchange would have literally zero logical reason to exchange those words if referencing Vader. Let's play the pronoun game.

"That boy is our only hope."
    "Nope. There's still Vader."
    "Yea...Vader...He's an irreversable dickhead who I nearly killed 20 years ago. I know he exists. Clearly."

"That boy is our only hope."
    "Nah, there's still the only woman in the universe."
    "Oh...yeah. Right. His sister. Haha, I saw her for like 12 seconds when Padme died and then never again."
    "Haa, you forgot about his twin sister?"
    "LOL"
    "Hit this bowl with me you will."

/endthread

No its Leia, later on in the film they discover they are related.

Yoda's dialogue is there to set it up.
    Yes I, Gwan?

The answer is Leia. In my opinion a weak foreshadowing line. It's only meant to point to Leia being Luke's sister but it also suggests Leia would be capable of destroying the Empire if anything happened to Luke. I can't imagine that having been an option. I've heard she learns some Jedi skills in the books or something like that but regardless... Vader's only interest was Luke and I doubt Leia could have persuaded him. Geek rant finished.

Quote Originally Posted by Uzi View Post
    Yeah most people seem to miss this point, Star Wars is actually not only a dumb lightsaber sci-fi, it's also got some deep philosophy in it.

Well there's nobody to train an actual powerful Sith, unless Luke or some of his later powerful pupils turned to the Dark Side.
    There's the Sith holocrons.

Plus, I'm sure that there were still Jedi in hiding who would become embittered by what happened to their order.

Quote Originally Posted by gunner_recall View Post
    Not necessarily. The Sith could always reform even if there were no Jedi, it just means there'd be no one to stop them.
    Luke & Leia are the only two in the Universe left able to use the Force. With them training more and more jedis, there is more and more chance that there would be sith. You increase the pool of people, you increase the chance one of those are going to be evil, train more Sith and bam! All over again...

Yoda was pretty careless I believe.
    Last edited by Hyve; 2011-05-31 at 08:24 PM. Reason: Clarifications made.

This is answered later in RotJ...

When Luke goes back to see Yoda, this is answered. On his deathbed he is squeaking out "There... is... a.noth..er.... Sky..wal....ker.....". Then passes. Obi-wan is the one who confirms to Luke he has a sister during their little philosophical debate about certain points of view in the next scene. It's been a couple of years since I've watched the original trilogy, so forgive minor timeline issues about scene sequence.

I would diffently mean that Yoda is talking about Leia.

Quote Originally Posted by wtfpwndd View Post
    It is indeed Leia.
    agreed: Leia is the one.

15+ Year Old Account
    Pretty sure It's Leia too. If you look into some of the Apocrypha and also the novels, Leia goes on to train as a Jedi as well as others.