Page 8 of 10 FirstFirst ...
LastLast
    Pandaren Monk
    15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Brett Skullcrack View Post
    I'll let you in a little secret: Their "gaming" gear and low end gear is exactly the same technology. Just compare their products in a store and it's blindingly obvious the gaming gear is just the regular crap in a slightly different box. I've had G15 keyboard and G500 mouse and they both lasted about 4-6 months before they deteriorated to a point that I had to buy new ones. Do yourself a favor and try a proper mechanical keyboard and a Razer mouse - they're from a completely different planet quality-wise.
    Stop throwing your equipment in the wall and it might last longer.

My G15 is 2 years old and theres not a single sign of it failing any time soon. My G5 mouse is 3 years old and again not a sign that it's about to break, both of these products are going to last me another 3-4 years.

Yeah totally crap products with no quality right there.

I've had a Razer headset, it broke from normal use after 6 months, and that shit was expensive, I had a Razer diamondback mouse prior to my logitech G5 which broke from normal use after 6 months.

So yeah I would NEVER buy another Razer product ever again.

I have a G3 Logitech mouse for almost 5 years now. It fell countless times and I think it serves me on average 3-4 hours a day.

Quote Originally Posted by Dasani View Post
    I had a cordless logitech keyboard that lasted for prolly 3 or better years

But their trackballs only seem to last a few months of raiding. The problem is the little switch that is pressed by the mouse buttons every time you click. If you can learn to replace that component for yourself, it'll prolly last another few months each time and ultimately be much cheaper than buying a new $50 one.

But it seems they discontinued the regular ones, last time i went to get a replacement i got a wireless one instead and i've had it several months and it still hasn't died on me yet or showing any signs of wear. Hopefully it'll last.
    Yep, the microswitches in mice are their weak link along with their cord (now that they use optical tracking). It's a trade off, a heavy duty microswitch is harder to press than a lighter duty switch. The trick I've found is that you can bend the buttons a bit to apply preload to the switch to make them easier to press. My old MX300 mouse had very hard switches before I did that, and it's probably why it lasted so long.

Pandaren Monk
    15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Cowt View Post
    MX518 and you are set.
    I gave my sister my MX518 when I was stupid enough to buy a Razer mouse, the 518 was then 3 years old, and guess what my sister still uses that mouse daily and she has not had a problem with it ever. Thats a now 6 1/2 year old mouse.

Take a deep breath.

You sound like one of those guys that uses a manual stick and has to talk smack to everyone that uses an automatic for being dumb.

I still don't see how you break a keyboard short of smashing it or mistreating it with spills and such.

Quote Originally Posted by georgevonfranken View Post
    Your going to use that 1 keyboard for 20 years?

More power to you i guess, i will enjoy upgrading my keyboard every couple years for more featuresl
    Quote Originally Posted by seam View Post
    What do you do in 20 years if a new way of making keys work come out?

Just wondering, cause you seem to expect a keyboard to last 20 years, and in that time you(should) be an idiot to not upgrade, by your logic.
    To be fair, despite Poodles' obnoxious attitude, there is a sizable number of "keyboard enthusiasts" (myself included) who believe keyboard technology peaked in 1984.
    Moonkin maybe looking for raiding guild.
    Q6600 @ 3.0GHz | Abit IP35 Pro | 8GB DDR2 | XFX GTX 260 | Crucial C300 128GB | Asus Xonar STX | Corsair 550VX | Dell U3011 | IBM Model M | Razer Naga

Pandaren Monk
    15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Havermeyer View Post
    To be fair, despite Poodles' obnoxious attitude, there is a sizable number of "keyboard enthusiasts" (myself included) who believe keyboard technology peaked in 1984.
    You could kill a bear with one of those!

Quote Originally Posted by Poodles View Post
    So that's why old IBM keyboards are so cheap on ebay...oh wait, they still sell for a premium because they still work and are a dream to type on (and can be modified quite easily).

Thick skull, nope, sounds more like thin skin here.
    Did i not say more power to you.
    Some people might like useing a typewriter on the other hand would rather not

You can argue forever but until mechanical keyboards have features that i use often i will not use them
    Last edited by georgevonfranken; 2011-06-08 at 12:57 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Havermeyer View Post
    Sure, if keyboards only had the standard keys, and no other features, there would be pretty much no argument. That's really the issue he seems to have, he's stuck on the "Mechanical is better than Membrane" and refuses to accept that features beyond that could make a membrane keyboard more valuable to someone over a mechanical. Now if mechanicals were available with every feature non mechs have(they have some, but not all) it would be a bit different, but they do not at this time.
    EVGA Classified SR-2 | Intel Xeon X5680 x 2 | Corsair Dominator DDR3-1600 6 x 2GB | XFX HD5970 x 2
    Intel PRO/1000 PT Server NIC | ASUS Xonar DX | Corsair AX1200 | Corsair TX750
    OCZ Vertex2 60GB | WD Velociraptor 300GB x 2 | Samsung Spinpoint MP4 500GB
    EK-FB SR2 - Acetal+Nickel | EK-Supreme HF - Acetal x 2 | EK-FC5970 Acetal x 2
    Thermochill TA120.4 x 3 | Thermochill TA120.3 | Swiftech MCP655 x 2

I still have an old wireless keyboard/mouse set, speakers and headset that have to be 8+ years old now and they sitll work great. I have of course since upgraded items for my main system, but those items are still in use on secondary computers. I have had great luck with their products and I still look to them over many other product lines. Currently using the G35 headset (1st gen one), the G700 mouse and the basic illuminated keyboard. My webcam was/is the 1st gen pro9000 has been dropped multiple times and continues to work.
    Most of my new stuff is middle to higher end of their products, but the oldest stuff was low end and it's still going strong.

Quote Originally Posted by Exera View Post
    You could kill a bear with one of those!
    Pretty much considering the 10lb metal plate they use in them LOL

seriously, buy a logitech gaming mouse, they never fail

Quote Originally Posted by ispano View Post
    Sure, if keyboards only had the standard keys, and no other features, there would be pretty much no argument. That's really the issue he seems to have, he's stuck on the "Mechanical is better than Membrane" and refuses to accept that features beyond that could make a membrane keyboard more valuable to someone over a mechanical. Now if mechanicals were available with every feature non mechs have(they have some, but not all) it would be a bit different, but they do not at this time.
    Razer Blackwidow is a step in the right direction, just not LCD (and it's driving the price down which is fantastic)

Also keep in mind the cool part about cherry MX switches. The internals are swapable so you could customize them for whatever feel you want.

Been using Logitech G15/G110 and Logitech G9x now for quite some time, it's the best keyboard and mouse I've ever used.
    The G15 broke only because I spilt a glas of coke on it about 3 times, also my G930 headset is amazing.
    Note, before I swapped to G9x I broke 3x Razer Deathadder mice, scroll, button clicking on its own, buttons not responding to clicks.

EDIT: I'll never buying anything Razer ever again, and I'd love it if Logitech came out with a mechanical keyboard, used to have an old PS2 one but it broke (From a glas of coke as well I think, I really should stop drinking coke at the PC late at night when I'm tired.) sadly.
    Last edited by LeVvE; 2011-06-08 at 01:07 AM.

G15 KB and G500 Mouse rapidly approaching their second year of daily gaming. Prior to that I had a 2-in-1 wireless setup, KB + rechargeable mouse, lasted ~4.5 years before the mouse battery stopped holding a charge for longer than 45 minutes.

Edit: And the mouse battery issue is exactly why I went back to wired when I built this PC. Nothing like being in middle of a Counter-Strike ranked match and praying you can end it before the mouse goes bye bye.
    Last edited by Priestiality; 2011-06-08 at 01:14 AM.

That's another rant, WTF is with the fetish with heavy mice for gaming? I left all the weights out of my G9x, but it's still quite hefty.

Razer Blackwidow is a step in the right direction, just not LCD (and it's driving the price down which is fantastic)

Also keep in mind the cool part about cherry MX switches. The internals are swapable so you could customize them for whatever feel you want.
    You know, I know how mechanicals work, I know about Cherry, Clear, Blue, Black, Brown, and all the other types. I know how they work. I never said they were bad devices, or were inferior in any way. And comparing JUST the key tech is fine, but saying mech keyboards as a whole are factually better than non mechs, especially when mechs DON'T have all the features current high end membranes do, is lunacy.

---------- Post added 2011-06-08 at 01:17 AM ----------

That's another rant, WTF is with the fetish with heavy mice for gaming? I left all the weights out of my G9x, but it's still quite hefty.
    See, this is a bit better. I personally have no preference, but some do. Some like the heftier mouse so it doesn't have a tendency to move a tiny bit if you let it go, or doesn't respond to the lightest flick. some just like the "fee" of it. It's all opinion and preference. As long as you're not trying to push it as fact, no big deal.
    EVGA Classified SR-2 | Intel Xeon X5680 x 2 | Corsair Dominator DDR3-1600 6 x 2GB | XFX HD5970 x 2
    Intel PRO/1000 PT Server NIC | ASUS Xonar DX | Corsair AX1200 | Corsair TX750
    OCZ Vertex2 60GB | WD Velociraptor 300GB x 2 | Samsung Spinpoint MP4 500GB
    EK-FB SR2 - Acetal+Nickel | EK-Supreme HF - Acetal x 2 | EK-FC5970 Acetal x 2
    Thermochill TA120.4 x 3 | Thermochill TA120.3 | Swiftech MCP655 x 2

The thing is, they COULD make keyboards in between that would work quite well. The topre switches are much like that, but you could go even more simple but eliminate the weak link in the membrane keyboards (the metallic paint on plastic film).

Funny thing is, there were keyboards like that, but they used conductive surfaces on the bottom of foam pads. They didn't last long...

15+ Year Old Account
    I've been using G110 and a 8 button mouse (don't know which one) for a long while now and haven't had any problems yet, so I'm happy with Logitech at least.

I've had my MX700 for about four years, having only set of rechargeables for them. The mouse itself is a little worn, but works fine.

I've also had my MX1000 for about three years, it came to me second hand as well. Same battery, obviously, and no problems. Doesn't hold a charge for longer than about 24 hours use but I've never left it out of it's cradle more than once or twice for that period of time, and it's always been useable due to it going into standby.

I also have a set of Logitech 5.1 speakers which I got for £20 - they've been great.
    5800X | XFX 7900XTX | Prime X570 Pro | 32GB | 990Pro + SN850 2TB | Define 7