Page 9 of 10 FirstFirst ...
LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by ispano View Post
    But the flaw in your statements is that the "expensive" and "cheap" membrane based keyboards are the same. While the tech used for the keys is the same, the reason the expensive ones are more expensive is due to features and other such things. Adding features and other technology to the base keyboard makes it more expensive. A base Membrane keyboard will be cheaper than a base mechanical keyboard. But many mechanicals don't have the extra features, likely because they're already more expensive than normal.
    These "features" are extra keys and some software functionality like macros. Neither of those adds anything significant to the manufacturer's cost and you can get them on mechanical keyboards like BlackWidow. The Logitech "gaming" keyboards are simply extremely overpriced, repackaged versions of their cheap stuff.

---------- Post added 2011-06-08 at 06:15 AM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by Exera View Post
    Stop throwing your equipment in the wall and it might last longer.

My G15 is 2 years old and theres not a single sign of it failing any time soon. My G5 mouse is 3 years old and again not a sign that it's about to break, both of these products are going to last me another 3-4 years.

Yeah totally crap products with no quality right there.
    I have never had any keyboard or mouse of any manufacturer break. What I'm talking about is deterioration which happens to ALL cheap membrane keyboards including your G15, if it doesn't bother you then great but it's hugely noticeable if you've ever compared it to an actually proper mechanical keyboard.

Deleted
    Logitech MX518 is pretty good, I've had 2 of them since they got released and before that I used the MX510

Deleted
    Logitech isn't too great in the headphone department. However, I use their G9x on a daily basis - it sees a lot of heavy use as I play FPS's next to WoW. No wear whatsoever (yet), apart from the usual on the friction pads. And I've been using it for 18 months.
    Its already lasting longer than any low-end mouse I've bought. Three friends of mine use the G9 (nearly identical to the G9x - some minor improvements) and theirs are lasting for over 3 (2) and 2.5 (1) years now. Not too shabby, but I'd expect it for this price.

Quote Originally Posted by Brett Skullcrack View Post
    These "features" are extra keys and some software functionality like macros. Neither of those adds anything significant to the manufacturer's cost and you can get them on mechanical keyboards like BlackWidow. The Logitech "gaming" keyboards are simply extremely overpriced, repackaged versions of their cheap stuff.

---------- Post added 2011-06-08 at 06:15 AM ----------

I have never had any keyboard or mouse of any manufacturer break. What I'm talking about is deterioration which happens to ALL cheap membrane keyboards including your G15, if it doesn't bother you then great but it's hugely noticeable if you've ever compared it to an actually proper mechanical keyboard.
    Yet some of these "features" are enough to get even knowledgeable people to buy them over something without said features, just to get mechanical keys. Also, most people here have agreed that mechanical keyboards do indeed last longer. However, the manufactuers have not seen fit to put ALL of the same extra features on them, as they do the non mechanicals. When that happens, and the mechanical versions aren't extraordinarily expensive compared to them, i'll likely use one. Until then, i'll keep using my G19 and my G15, and that G15 is pretty old and still kicking.
    EVGA Classified SR-2 | Intel Xeon X5680 x 2 | Corsair Dominator DDR3-1600 6 x 2GB | XFX HD5970 x 2
    Intel PRO/1000 PT Server NIC | ASUS Xonar DX | Corsair AX1200 | Corsair TX750
    OCZ Vertex2 60GB | WD Velociraptor 300GB x 2 | Samsung Spinpoint MP4 500GB
    EK-FB SR2 - Acetal+Nickel | EK-Supreme HF - Acetal x 2 | EK-FC5970 Acetal x 2
    Thermochill TA120.4 x 3 | Thermochill TA120.3 | Swiftech MCP655 x 2

Yet some of these "features" are enough to get even knowledgeable people to buy them over something without said features, just to get mechanical keys.
    Can you list these "features" then? Couple of extra buttons and some software to make macros (which you can do with any keyboard anyway using 3rd party software), what else?

I've been using a lot of Logitech gear for almost 4 years and have never had any problems with my stuff.

G15 - 3+ years
    G13 - 2+ years
    G9 - 3+ years
    Headset/Speakers - 3+ years

I recommended their stuff to others.

You're supposed to be intelligent, you know how to find this stuff. Yes you can make macros via software, but without those extra buttons, you end up using modifier + other keys to run them. The LCD screen in particular on my model, maybe you think it's useless, maybe you think it's not worth the money, but I use it. The ability to press more than 3 keys at once and have them recognized, something that all good keyboards should be able to do anyhow. The USB ports on the back, while minor and ignorable are still a feature. Back to the macros and extra keys. You can have them run commands, shortcuts, macros, and they change based on the software running, yes yes other software can do this, but does it let you create them on the fly in game? The ability to disable the windows key in hardware. And honestly, considering it's built with a "cheap membrane" I've had 0 issues with this one or my G15.

I honestly don't care what you prefer or like in your keyboards, what you find to be better and/or preferable. I take no issue at people's opinions. I take issue with the people who try or seem like they're trying to push their opinions, as fact. Or those who seem to reek of blatant bias or fanboyism.
    EVGA Classified SR-2 | Intel Xeon X5680 x 2 | Corsair Dominator DDR3-1600 6 x 2GB | XFX HD5970 x 2

10+ Year Old Account
    Kinda have to agree with Ispano.

On the other point, how much does your mechanical keyboard cost, and how long does it last?
    As we've seen often cheap £10 membrane based keyboards last for 6+ years. (dont know about you, but that seems like a pretty good deal to me... considering you can often replace those for "free" every 3-5 years at the same time as the computer system.

Deleted
    I've got two Logitech mice, each cost £25. One has survived 5years of mad gaming in all sorts of genres and the other 2 years of heavy WoW use. No problems from either (unless you count me screaming "grow more buttons!" at them). I would definitely buy more Logitech products, as personally I love the cost vs. reliability.

Keyboard is a Saitek Eclipse, 5 years old too, never a single problem.

10+ Year Old Account
    I'v had MX518 for who knows how long... around 3 years i guess.

I use it 8+ hours daily. (software engineer student + HC gamer)

The only problem during these ~ 10 000 Hours i'v used it is that
    the logo has been completely wiped off from the top of the mouse.

Imho MX518 is the best mouse ever made.

Deleted
    If the products you're buying are dying within a year take them back to the dealer you bought them from with your receipt and warranty and they'll sort you out.

Quote Originally Posted by Oleh View Post
    If the products you're buying are dying within a year take them back to the dealer you bought them from with your receipt and warranty and they'll sort you out.
    That might work in the EU, but not in the US. While we do have warranties just like everyone else, you don't go back to the store to get it fixed/replaced, you send it to the manufacturer. If it's within the store's return policy, like 30 days most of the time, you can take it back to have it swapped for sure, but after, it's the warranty and manufacturer for you.

EDIT: To add to that, some people might find that way of doing things retarded. I however have no issues with it, why should the store have to do anything about say a Logitech mouse that stopped working a year later, it's not like the store made it and placed the warranty on it, Logitech did.

Quote Originally Posted by JonBoy2001 View Post
    Oh I have a $15 Microsoft mouse that's lasted 3+ years of FPS gaming. That's a low-end product that's lasted.
    Same, my cheapie MS peripherals have lasted ages. On the other hand I've bought super-duper amazeballs (with pricetags to match) Razer products and they haven't lasted long at all (a year tops from one mouse, about four months from another)

10+ Year Old Account
    EDIT: To add to that, some people might find that way of doing things retarded. I however have no issues with it, why should the store have to do anything about say a Logitech mouse that stopped working a year later, it's not like the store made it and placed the warranty on it, Logitech did.

Becuase here in the EU we value repeat custom :P So if the store will do that part for you, you're more likely to go back to that store to buy more/other stuff from. Not to mention its just easier. Our postal service doesn't come round to us to collect mail, we have to go into a post office to send anything more than a standard letter.

What? ALL stores value repeat customers. If something like that would cause you not to be a customer at a store, I wouldn't want you as a customer. Nor would I want to be a customer to a store like that, it's not their place, it's the manufacturer's responsibility. What if the store doesn't carry the item you originally bought? It's like going through an extra step, which in my mind isn't easier, but more annoying, not to mention spoiled. Do we have things here that I feel spoil the people? Of course, and I think many of those should vanish as well.

Also the postal service here doesn't go around to pick up mail, they go out to deliver it. If you have mail to go out then they take it of course, they're there already.

Mechagnome
    15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by falafel View Post
    G11: No problems what so ever
    G35: Most epic headset ever. There's metal inside :O so I expect it to never break (Stuff really works like that!)
    whats price for g35 headset and have u played CS (how good it recognize footsteps,3D)?

also what are prices for logitech keyboards in GBP?
    World of Warcraft wiki
    http://wowwiki.com
    World of Warcraft database
    http://thottbot.comhttp://wowhead.comhttp://wow.allakhazam.com

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by K1boRG View Post
    whats price for g35 headset and have u played CS (how good it recognize footsteps,3D)?

also what are prices for logitech keyboards in GBP?
    The G35 has one driver in each cup, has bass and treble sliders in the G35 software, and allows you to fuck up guildies by morphing your voice into a chipmunk one.
    As I said it has 2 drivers, so it doesn't do true 7.1, it's emulated, however it still works quite good, and I'm happy with the purchase I made.

Bloodsail Admiral dicertification's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    I have only ever bought three logitech products. The mx518 and g15 that are still my main keyboard and mouse, and seem very old since I can't recall at all when I bought them. the third is a mx518 that I bought my gf two years ago because she liked my mouse.

So my next ones will be logitech.

My MX518 has been rolling with me for 6 years and G10 3 or 4 so no complains.
    Last edited by Typo; 2011-06-08 at 11:34 AM. Reason: moar stuff

Logitech makes crap headsets. Their keyboards and mice have been fine in my experience (though I prefer razer products over all).
    Quote Originally Posted by lol View Post
    I've had lucid dreams a couple times.

I usually imagine some girl I have a crush on and DEMOLISH her, then go back to the computer and start farming whiptail.