Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst
LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Abelino View Post
    I've red somewhere that in the older version the ending is not from the original makers/story writers? But the newer version is. This might not be treu so dont quote me please :P The movie does if i remember correctly move along with the ending of the older serie.

Personally I like the older version the most. It's so more beautiful, I had to whipe some tears away at the end.
    I'd suggest you watch both.
    I really, really loved Lust in the older renditions. I was expecting a similar character in Brotherhood. I was wrong. O_o
    Lolinternet.

10+ Year Old Account
    Both are good, but like was already stated, Brotherhood is the intended story. The first series came out while the source manga was still being published so the studio had to create their own ending. Brotherhood follows the manga to the end.

Quote Originally Posted by Datub View Post
    btw anyone knows a good anime that i can see after FMA (this is my first and i really liked it, unless you count AVATAR: the last airbender, saw that one too)
    Kinda depends on what you are looking for. Looking for something similar? Action? Comedy? The thing is anime is really just a medium, like movies or live action TV so there are all kinds. Sure, there are a fair few "tropes" but you will find that anywhere.
    Quote Originally Posted by Kauro View Post
    Well if you want a anime some fucked up humor I would recommend Gintama, I've only watched 15episodes out of the 210 and it's just so fucked up funny imo.
    Lol, I would think that someone who has only ever seen FMA would miss about 98% of the jokes in Gintama.

The 2009 series is definitely worth watching, I've watched both series, though Brotherhood only up until the 3rd part, because the last two volumes haven't been published here yet. I think I'm enjoying Brotherhood more than the original, only the first part is a skim through alot of the original series, which is a little dull for people familiar with the original series, so don't judge it by that, it gets significantly better around the thirteenth episode.

10+ Year Old Account
    just to echo what everone else here is saying really, Brotherhood is 100x better than the original, if you're familiar with the 2003 version you MAY get a little bored with the start, as the thread very similar paths, but I assure you it is WELL worth pushing on and getting to the 'new' material. I found that FMA 2003 jumped the shark somewhat towards the end of the story, but the recent version, following the manga alot more closely as it did had a much better, more clearly thought out story.

plus the ending ROCKS
    Check out the blog I write for LEGENDARY Indie Label Flicknife Records:

Blog Thirty is live! In which we discuss our latest releases, and our great new line of T-shirts.
    https://www.flickniferecords.co.uk/blog/item/30-blog-30

Quote Originally Posted by Gallahadd View Post
    plus the ending ROCKS
    See with Brotherhood I felt like the ending wasn't an ending at all... there was very little resolution whatsoever. At least in the first one some of the loose end were tied up. (unless there are more episodes then are currently on netflix) Also, I like the way they fleshed out Mustang's character a bit more in the first one. Actually there were quite a few characters that didn't quite get the attention they got in the first run.

Both were really good though, and the story overall flowed a bit better in Brotherhood.

I almost finished watching the 2003 anime of FMA, and i have some questions for those who saw it:
    - is it worth it watching the 2009 version ?
    - which one did you thought was best ?
    - is there a difference in art styles or does it look the same ?

thanks
    This really boils down to if you were a fan of the manga (which I wasn't personally, just never got into it). In terms of an anime to anime comparison the start of both series are dammed near identical. The artwork is basically the same as the original anime.

My suggestion would be if you want to really enjoy FMA:B, read the manga first. You will better appreciate it. If your not a fan of the manga, then don't bother watching it. It will just look like a cheap remake. I personally couldn't watch anymore of brotherhood after the first 8 of so episodes cause it was just too similar to the original anime. Course I was watching it when it was broadcasting and there were other original animes that were on that pulled me away.

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Arlee View Post
    See with Brotherhood I felt like the ending wasn't an ending at all... there was very little resolution whatsoever. At least in the first one some of the loose end were tied up. (unless there are more episodes then are currently on netflix) Also, I like the way they fleshed out Mustang's character a bit more in the first one. Actually there were quite a few characters that didn't quite get the attention they got in the first run.

Both were really good though, and the story overall flowed a bit better in Brotherhood.
    Huh? The very last episode of brotherhood is basically endings for each and every character no matter how minor, after the whole climax that ended with the penultimate episode.
    You know what is better than drinking a beer? Brewing your own beer. And then drinking it. And then... Drinking another beer. And then, punching somebody in the snout! That's what!

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by AetherMcLoud View Post
    Huh? The very last episode of brotherhood is basically endings for each and every character no matter how minor, after the whole climax that ended with the penultimate episode.
    If he was watching it on netflix, he is probably watching the American DVD versions. The last volume isnt out yet I don't think.

FMA: brotherhood is better imo. the story in the 2003 version takes a kinda awkward turn in the end, while Brotherhood stays true to the manga.

Quote Originally Posted by Skizzit View Post
    If he was watching it on netflix, he is probably watching the American DVD versions. The last volume isnt out yet I don't think.
    This is correct. the american version is currently only up to episode 48 out of 64
    Last edited by Bloodlover; 2011-06-07 at 03:46 PM.

15+ Year Old Account
    Well, that's a bother.

The only thing I know about netflix is the frakking message: "Sorry, Netflix is not available outside of the US"
    You know what is better than drinking a beer? Brewing your own beer. And then drinking it. And then... Drinking another beer. And then, punching somebody in the snout! That's what!

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by AetherMcLoud View Post
    Only the first ~8 episodes of the old Anime were true to the manga original. From there on until the end they just made shit up (which the end clearly showed, it was very convoluted).

The new series is basically a scene-for-scene adaptation of the manga.
    8... It followed the story up to episode 23.

Brotherhood goes through all of that in about 10 episodes. And they didn't 'make shit up' the author of the manga was with the development team every step of the way. She deliberately wanted it to go a different way from the manga to prevent spoilers as the manga wasn't finished at the time.
    And both were great stories, so don't put either out.

Uhh and Brotherhood is longer they just haven't released the last set of episodes.

Deleted
    IMO Brotherhood is the best anime I've ever watched. The first one was good but Brotherhood just made me love FMA that much more.

OH... I hope that is the case because I got to the end and was like "wut??". They have Part 1 and Part 2 up... which is 26 episodes.

10+ Year Old Account
    OH... I hope that is the case because I got to the end and was like "wut??". They have Part 1 and Part 2 up... which is 26 episodes.
    Oh wow, yeah thats not even half the series. There are 64 episodes total.

The Lightbringer
    15+ Year Old Account
    Brotherhood is very well worth watching since its close to the manga I believe and its a bit darker.

10+ Year Old Account
    If you want the true story, watch the 2003 version first. But if you've finished that and want more (like I did) just watch the Brotherhood version. I like both, but the 2003 version stays clearer to the original plot line.
    If you can't explain it simply, you don't understand it well enough. ~ Albert Einstein

Brotherhood is many times more epic than the original anime adaption (and the original was one of my top 5 anime's at the time).

Watch it, OP. You'll understand the characters and everything a lot more. Brotherhood goes deeper than Inception goes into dreams within dreams :P.

Watch the first episode. You'll be hooked straight away.

Quote Originally Posted by Arktosa View Post
    If you want the true story, watch the 2003 version first. But if you've finished that and want more (like I did) just watch the Brotherhood version. I like both, but the 2003 version stays clearer to the original plot line.
    Completely untrue. The 2003 version was only true to the original manga for the first part (due to the manga still being drawn at the time), and then takes it's own story. That's why the story takes a massive turn partway through the series and leaves a lot of questions at the start of the series unanswered or very vague. Brotherhood is a flawless adaption to the now complete manga.

---------- Post added 2011-06-08 at 12:25 AM ----------

btw anyone knows a good anime that i can see after FMA (this is my first and i really liked it, unless you count AVATAR: the last airbender, saw that one too)
    Code Geass, Death Note, Darker than Black, Gundam Seed, Gundam Seed: Destiny, Gundam 00, Buccanno!

Some pretty easy Anime get into. There's also Naruto and One Piece but there is a LOT to watch.

10+ Year Old Account
    that's because you're only at the midseason break there's like 60 eps all told you've got ALOT of Alchemical goodness left trust me the ending for Brotherhood leaves the original in the DUST. Everything is wrapped up, all ends tied off and there's a very sweet speech it got me a bit teary... well no it didn't... but it was very cute none-the-less
    Check out the blog I write for LEGENDARY Indie Label Flicknife Records:

Blog Thirty is live! In which we discuss our latest releases, and our great new line of T-shirts.
    https://www.flickniferecords.co.uk/blog/item/30-blog-30

Although I'd be hard pressed not to say I thought the first ending was no where as great as it could of been, with obvious plotholes (eg. how does envy look like hohenheim, if he had a different body), if you decide to watch the second anime (which IMO, is absolutely awesome and explains things much better):
    - You MAY get a bad idea of it from say the first 8 episodes (excluding ep.1), which zoom through what essentially took the first series about 20 episodes. So, until this point, it does seem like it is less emotional than the first was, but ONLY because it is trying to get to the Greed arc of the story, where it moves completely away from where the anime went...and to put it litely, shit goes down.
    Just my 2 cents, and I am aware my opinion is subjective.

EDIT: But wow, i forgot to give series 1 props all the way up untill Scar dies: THAT was amazing, and trust me, brotherhood will give a storyline equally worthy of that.
    Last edited by Ragehammer; 2011-06-08 at 01:09 AM.

Oh wow, yeah thats not even half the series. There are 64 episodes total.
    Quote Originally Posted by Gallahadd View Post
    that's because you're only at the midseason break there's like 60 eps all told you've got ALOT of Alchemical goodness left trust me the ending for Brotherhood leaves the original in the DUST. Everything is wrapped up, all ends tied off and there's a very sweet speech it got me a bit teary... well no it didn't... but it was very cute none-the-less
    Yay that makes me feel soooo much better. I was feeling way let down.