Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst
... LastLast
    Talk to your parents, calmly, and explain the situation in term they will understand. She is paying to get to use the connection, not to hog all the traffic. If they don't care, get a router where you can limit the speed and set hers to less than half of what you're paying for (since she's only paying 9 of the 30 euros). If that's not an option for some reason (I don't see why it wouldn't be, but just in case) unplug the damn cable every time she slows your internet down to being unplayable. If she complains, tell her she overloaded the router.

Trying to reason with someone like her will most likely not work, you'll just put yourself completely at her mercy. It's your home, you shouldn't have to do that. I've had a similar problem on a shared network in a student apartment, and talking to people did absolutely nothing. They nod and say they understand and then they do their own selfish thing again. Try progress raiding while someone's blocking your connection so badly you keep disconnecting. When you start hitting them with consequences when they act like jerks, that's when they start paying attention.
    ~ I'm having trouble hearing you. Getting a lot of bullshit on this line. ~

Deleted
    There's still people in Sweden with low download/upload speeds? :/

Quote Originally Posted by Porkitozh View Post
    I seriously feel like life has no meaning right now, I'm unable to do anything. Right now I spend all my time awake infront of the computer and I only talk to my friends online, can't login to games or talk on skype. She has ruined everything I love.
    Your life has no meaning and you spend every waking hour in front of the computer? The solution is simple. Your folks push you outside and tell you to suck it up and make a friend.

The way I see it, your parents are paying 30euro, shes paying 9euro...how much are YOU paying a month to use the Internet? As the only person not actually kicking in money, I think you have no right to complain.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Tiili View Post
    There's still people in Sweden with low download/upload speeds? :/
    Me and my brother talked to everyone in our neighbourhood and asked if they wanted FiberLAN (100 mb/s) and we got enough people to do it, made a "group" and wrote "rules/regulations". That was what was required for the new internet but my parents wouldn't even lift a finger. Even though the price to make a huge hole in the street was expensive we would pay less each month for a internet speed that was 20 times better than what we got now.

10+ Year Old Account
    dns would be under wan or the obvious dns tab
    and the port filtering would probably be under routing
    and i imagine the parental control tab probably has a p2p blocking section

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by ares1013 View Post
    The way I see it, your parents are paying 30euro, shes paying 9euro...how much are YOU paying a month to use the Internet? As the only person not actually kicking in money, I think you have no right to complain.
    I've even told them that I can pay to get a better connection but I can't do shit without them actually helping me out.
    Last edited by mmocf3e8550591; 2011-07-05 at 01:58 PM.

Deleted
    Just close the ports on your router.

Quote Originally Posted by Fojos View Post
    Yes you can, at least when it's a sublet.
    I assume the parents own the house. And even if it is sublet, you still have a lot of the original rights as the one renting.

Deleted
    Me and my brother talked to everyone in our neighbourhood and asked if they wanted FiberLAN (100 mb/s) and we got enough people to do it, made a "group" and wrote "rules/regulations". That was what was required for the new internet but my parents wouldn't even lift a finger. Even though the price to make a huge hole in the street was expensive we would pay less each month for a internet speed that was 20 times better than what we got now.
    O_o

You should convince your parents to just get the other internet offer with more download/upload!

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Tiili View Post
    O_o

You should convince your parents to just get the other internet offer with more download/upload!
    even if that were possible the person upstairs would like just further saturate the line and would be back to square one and be paying more to boot

It's really not that hard to just go talk to her. You've gotten as much advice as the internets can provide at this point, talk to her and we can go from there. Usually being polite and cordial works well.

Thats a bummer buddy, but at the end of the day you can't just limit a service someone is paying for, especially when you have no stake in the service itself. If you really want to do something about it, be an adult and talk to the subletter about her internet usage. This passive-aggressive port blocking and throttling is childish, and judging from what you've told us about your (seemingly) overbearing parents, odds are its going to end up getting you in trouble.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by lockblock View Post
    dns would be under wan or the obvious dns tab
    and the port filtering would probably be under routing
    and i imagine the parental control tab probably has a p2p blocking section

Edit: sorry for the huge picture
    Last edited by mmocf3e8550591; 2011-07-05 at 02:13 PM.

You're in a really tough situation, OP. I know how stubborn parents can be, and a lot of the time, stubborn parents think they know everything better than you do.

I think the best solution is to talk to them and explain it in details to them. Surely not even they won't think it's fine that your neighbour is hogging the whole line for herself.

Seriously though, this is why it sucks to be young. I find that parents these days really do not take the time to listen to their kids. It's very disappointing.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by lockblock View Post
    even if that were possible the person upstairs would like just further saturate the line and would be back to square one and be paying more to boot
    Depends.. not that many seeders that will allow you to use your full potential of your internet if you've got a 100 mbit line, in most cases you'll have to settle at lower speeds than you can achieve(It's rare that I go above 2 mb / s down even though I've downloaded about 8-9 mb / s down from friends, movies and stuff that's been recorded while being out and so on.).

Deleted
    Didn't read all previous posts, was there any mention of what router is in use? Maybe it supports QoS (Quality Of Service). If so you'd be able to split the internet connection speed 50/50 or whatever between the person upstairs and any other machines. That way the person upstairs can use the internet for whatever they want and won't be responsible for managing their bandwidth. Google QoS

Edit: from the SS above, yes you do have QoS support, so get that enabled and you'll be a happy bunny.

Oh, if I were you I'd blank out your MAC address in the screenshot!
    Last edited by mmocbc17c142b5; 2011-07-05 at 02:08 PM.

Deleted
    I don't really care about a movie being downloaded once or twice every week or so but right now it feels like she is downloading every episode of several TV-series constantly.

---------- Post added 2011-07-05 at 02:09 PM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by Moosi View Post
    Didn't read all previous posts, was there any mention of what router is in use? Maybe it supports QoS (Quality Of Service). If so you'd be able to split the internet connection speed 50/50 or whatever between the person upstairs and any other machines. That way the person upstairs can use the internet for whatever they want and won't be responsible for managing their bandwidth. Google QoS

"Oh this is easy! I definitely see the option that I should choose."

HOLY SHIT

Deleted
    Ah.. at this time I must advise you to RTFM! /runsaway

Seriously though, look in the manual

Deleted
    "Oh this is easy! I definitely see the option that I should choose."

HOLY SHIT
    lol, that's one horrible option dialog.. never seen that one before.

Mine looks like this for my QoS: