Question Spriest using mouseover macros to spellcast

So I've been trying, ever since the Valiona & Theralion fight, to use mouseover macros for all my dps spells. They all look like this:

#showtooltip
    /cast [target=mouseover,harm,exists][target=target,harm,exists][target=focus,harm,exists][] Vampiric Touch

The macro permits me to cast on my target, my focus or even any mouseover targets, which was SO easy to use while fighting V&T. But I did found ONE problem about using that technique: from time to time my cursor would mouseover an "invalid" target, and when I'd try to cast a spell, it would just tell me that I was trying to cast... on an invalid target... eventhough I have a target and a focus set up. So I'm asking, in there any way I can change that mouseover technique, but to not care for invalid targets?

Deleted
    Why don't you use your focus frame

Sometimes there are more than 2 mobs to dot around, the target + focus just makes two. I do use the focus to cast on it, by moving my mouse-over it (!) and then cast. But on situations like Maloriak, dotting the boss while dotting the ads, it quickly becomes a cluster-f**k. Also on fights like Alysrazor, I got the boss, the bird, the casters to dot around, all at the same time. How could I accomplish doing that efficiently without using a mouseover macro?

IMO, you shouldn't be using mouseovers for PVE anyway, just focus your secondary target and use "cast on focus" macros.
    This is a great target/focus switch macro for V&T that will keep the grounded dragon as your target and the air one as your focus on phase changes:
    Code:
    /focus [target=focus, noexists]
    /target [combat, noexists] focus
    /clearfocus [nocombat, noexists]
    /stopmacro [target=focus, noexists]
    /target focus
    /targetlasttarget
    /focus [exists]
    /targetlasttarget
    Edit: Use Tidyplates to keep tack of your DoTs on more than your target and focus, like on Maloriak and click to target while VT is casting.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Wrathbaby View Post
    Why don't you use your focus frame
    This guy speaks the truth
    Learn it, love it

Deleted
    So yeah, I guess you guys didn't notice the part where he said for more than 2 targets?

Personally I used my arena setup for alysrazor, /cast VT [target= hatching] ect:

- Target her and dot normally
    - Shift would cast whatever spell on the the hatching
    - Alt would cast on the night elf adds round the edge

Quote Originally Posted by powersoul View Post
    Personally I used my arena setup for alysrazor, /cast VT [target= hatching] ect:
    Well, the V&T fight was just an example, we only raid Firelands now, but I repeat, since we can only set up ONE focus, how can I go efficiently to target and dot 3 or 4 targets, like in the Alysrazor fight? As for powersoul, I'm not sure what your arena setup is, I'm not getting it. As for spiralout, I do use Tidyplates, but in the heat of the action, with 24 other guys running around, with all the movement we must do in the fight, I'm not sure I got the time to look at the nameplates to know if my dots or on or off.

If only there was a way (addon?) to set up more than one focus...

Update:
    If I'm not to use my mouseover technique (and resort back to plain old 2 targets technique), it would mean clicking on my focus to cast, then clicking on another target to cast, and clicking again on another target to cast, then go back at clicking my focus, and so on. I click absolutely nothing with mouseover (although I do have to move my mouse alot of course)... I'm VERY efficient atm with mouseover macros, except for the "invalid target" problem. Is there no macro expert here, other than telling me not to use that technique, that can tell me if my macro can be optimized at all?
    Last edited by DiGG; 2011-07-14 at 12:12 PM.

Is there any shadow priest here that fought Alysrazor and could tell me how they handle multiple targets?

Mouseover macros are a godsend for healing PVE, and there are pretty clearly lots of uses for them as dps/tanks too.

Can you explain what kind of invalid targets you're getting? If it's dead adds, you might try adding a "nodead" condition; I don't think exists implies nodead and that might be your problem.

Also, Fitzcairn's is awesome for checking that your macro is doing what you want it to.

Quote Originally Posted by DiGG View Post
    Is there any shadow priest here that fought Alysrazor and could tell me how they handle multiple targets?
    I am put on one hatchiling and I use my focus for alysrazor... I generally stay in a certain area and really just focus down the hatchling and alysrazor if another of the adds is near i will just target swap throw some quick dots up and back to my main job.

Yeah I just double-checked and nodead (as well as harm and help, for that matter) both imply exists, so you can just eliminate the "exists" condition.

Also, it doesn't matter for you now, but if you get into more complicated macros that push the character limit, you can replace "target=mouseover" with "@mouseover"

Quote Originally Posted by DiGG View Post
    I use ElvUI and when you hit "v" it pops up all the frames for the mobs either over their heads (if everything is spread out) or in a neat column (if the mobs are all close together). Each frame will show DoTs and their duration and the mob's health, so from there I just click the frame of whatever mob I want to target.

Quote Originally Posted by Arlee View Post
    I use ElvUI and when you hit "v" it pops up all the frames for the mobs either over their heads (if everything is spread out) or in a neat column (if the mobs are all close together). Each frame will show DoTs and their duration and the mob's health, so from there I just click the frame of whatever mob I want to target.
    Ya, that's like pretty much any good templates addon should do, as long as you're in range. OOR the bars just disapear and you just see the name of the boss/mob.
    Last edited by DiGG; 2011-07-14 at 05:19 PM.

Yea.. unfortunately most of them don't. Some of them show you stuff but you can't click on the bar to target them which is particularly annoying when there are a lot of mobs all clumped up, and other just arrange things extremely haphazardly which is also frustrating.