Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Rhazgul View Post
    oh so it is kind of like real life with priests and choir boys?
    Otherwise the light is a very very boring Mary Sue religion for Mary Sues
    The followers of Holy Light seek to make the world a better place by being true to their own emotions. They aren't so ignorant to know that they would be hurting a child. Again this is a philosophy about being good and spreading that goodness throughout the world.

Seriously please read the article I have already posted several times.

Deleted
    I am very sorry for being so awfully off-topic. I was trying to find reasons for roleplayers to be able to RP a sinister follower of the light. In other works with Christianity or religions inspired by it, it can be much more subjective. You can have for example characters like Frollo from disney's The Hunchback of Notre Dame, Mozgus from berserk or Alexander Anderson from Hellsing
    http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.ph...nisterMinister
    or the famous Spanish inquisitors(IRL).
    All of them would be able to swear that the light/maker told them personally to torture/cleanse/murder and their followers would believe and continue follow these leaders.
    On the other hand in WoW, you have naaru preaching the exact same thing in every street corner of Shattrah that can be asked any and all questions. Really ruins potential RP, especially since their philosophy is so flawless it becomes Mary Sue'ish to be a true follower.
    Last edited by Myrrar; 2011-09-02 at 07:43 AM.

10+ Year Old Account
    If you have a problem with an infraction or moderators actions feel free to PM Sunshine or the person who infracted you. But can't discuss moderator actions on the forums, just leads the thread away and OT and instigates things. =]

15+ Year Old Account
    I am very sorry for being so awfully off-topic. I was trying to find reasons for roleplayers to be able to RP a sinister follower of the light. In other works with Christianity or religions inspired by it, it can be much more subjective. You can have for example characters like Frollo from disney's The Hunchback of Notre Dame, Mozgus from berserk or Alexander Anderson from Hellsing
    http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.ph...nisterMinister
    or the famous Spanish inquisitors(IRL).
    All of them would be able to swear that the light/maker told them personally to torture/cleanse/murder and their followers would believe and continue follow these leaders.
    On the other hand in WoW, you have naaru preaching the exact same thing in every street corner of Shattrah that can be asked any and all questions. Really ruins potential RP, especially since their philosophy is so flawless it becomes Mary Sue'ish to be a true follower.
    It's possible considering

Originally Posted by Blizzard Entertainment
    Q: Can you please explain how "light" works? The lore states that undead are physically incapable of using the light, much like the Broken, but then we have Forsaken players casting healing spells, and Sir Zeliek in Naxxramas using pseudo-paladin abilities.
    A: Without spoiling too much, we can tell you that wielding the Light is a matter of having willpower or faith in one's own ability to do it. That's why there are evil paladins (for example, the Scarlet Crusade and Arthas before he took up Frostmourne). For the undead (and Forsaken), this requires such a great deal of willpower that it is exceedingly rare, especially since it is self-destructive. When undead channel the Light, it feels (to them) as if their entire bodies are being consumed in righteous fire. Forsaken healed by the Light (whether the healer is Forsaken or not) are effectively cauterized by the effect: sure, the wound is healed, but the healing effect is cripplingly painful. Thus, Forsaken priests are beings of unwavering willpower; Forsaken (and death knight) tanks suffer nobly when they have priest and paladin healers in the group; and Sir Zeliek REALLY hates himself.
    So long as you believe you are righteous, and that you CAN channel the Light. You should be able to. (I think that's what that means)
    Theron/Bloodwatcher 2013!

Quote Originally Posted by Alsompr View Post
    Teasing, misdirection. It's the opposite of a spoiler. People expect one thing? BAM! Another thing happens.

I'm like M. Night fucking Shamylan.

I dont think being gay is considerd wrong in the wow lore since wow morals are pretty modern.As for priests and Paladins i always thought them to be more celibate or maybe evne Asexual well exept for Arthas.

Warchief
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Prince Arthas Menethil View Post
    I dont think being gay is considerd wrong in the wow lore since wow morals are pretty modern.As for priests and Paladins i always thought them to be more celibate or maybe evne Asexual well exept for Arthas.
    Except that there are plenty of paladins ingame with wives and kids.

10+ Year Old Account
    As said, as long as you believe what you're doing is right you can use the light. This is why there are undead priests and the scarlet crusade and all the paladins that went bad could still use all their same 'powers'.

This is a good post about Azeroth religion: http://wow.joystiq.com/2008/06/30/as...-and-religion/

10+ Year Old Account
    I don't know that sexuality is mentioned, so why would you have the need to bring it into the play. It's not like there isn't enough to talk about. I guess some just need something to stand out.

Warchief
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Ossian View Post
    I don't know that sexuality is mentioned, so why would you have the need to bring it into the play. It's not like there isn't enough to talk about. I guess some just need something to stand out.
    I don't see why it should be avoided. When you develop a character you should develop all aspects of them, including whether or not they are gay, straight, bi, or anything else. A person's sexuality is as much a part of who they are as anything else. If you play a character enough, you WILL eventually encounter a situation where their sexual preference may be good to know.

Warcraft follows the normal game ratings. These ratings have a huge problem with anything depicting homosexuality. That isn't modern - its old. But then taboos have come and gone regarding it. So don't expect much solid information in game but we can draw some conclusions.

The generic/normal churches would likely be fine with it so long as they fit into the social norms. Figuring out what those norms would be about crossdressers/homosexuals is going to be hard because of the teen rating. Myself I figure it would be close to modern cities where its fine more or less.

But then you have zealots who burn people at the stake for being different and carrying 'scourge thoughts'. I don't see any problem with RPing someone who is that violent and closed minded as an intolerant bigot to homosexuals. With an asterix though. You should touch base with the player and let them know you aren't the sort of person your RPing and don't hate them. When you do that it helps keep the community feeling.

---------- Post added 2011-09-05 at 10:00 PM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by Synaxis View Post
    I don't see why it should be avoided. When you develop a character you should develop all aspects of them, including whether or not they are gay, straight, bi, or anything else. A person's sexuality is as much a part of who they are as anything else. If you play a character enough, you WILL eventually encounter a situation where their sexual preference may be good to know.
    A great example is Captain Jack in the new Doctor Who. He travels with The Doctor some and though not defined by his sexuality its a big part of him. I really enjoyed his appearances because of it.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Myrrar View Post
    If you have a problem with an infraction or moderators actions feel free to PM Sunshine or the person who infracted you. But can't discuss moderator actions on the forums, just leads the thread away and OT and instigates things. =]
    I didn't have any problem with you moderating me, well not that much really. Back in my most active days on the forums you could get 3 month suspension for a witty side remark at a moderators favorite poster. I did however post it to compliment the RP community but now they'll never see it.

Quote Originally Posted by Myrrar View Post
    As said, as long as you believe what you're doing is right you can use the light. This is why there are undead priests and the scarlet crusade and all the paladins that went bad could still use all their same 'powers'.
    but what is the point then you might as well be any other evil torturing magic user.
    Why can't the head priests of Stormwind be burning innocents for being supposed burning legion worshippers? Because the naaru would easily have them demoted/punished. If the Mary Sue naaru weren't there, we could have been having homophobia and fun.

10+ Year Old Account
    The naaru blessed the draenei with the Holy Light in an effort to help them in their struggle. They are beings of pure energy not the end all source of the Light. And the point here is the mindset. That is what the Light is, not just simply a religion. It is a philosophy. A way of thinking and then turning those thoughts into actions in order to become self enlightened and use those actions, that helped you achieve this state, to help as many other as you can. Whether your version of if it as twisted as the Scarlets it doesn't matter because by your logic you are doing right. The Light is not this being that decided who gets to channel it and who doesn't. Simply put you get to choose if you are able to wield it or not.

but what is the point then you might as well be any other evil torturing magic user.
    Why can't the head priests of Stormwind be burning innocents for being supposed burning legion worshippers? Because the naaru would easily have them demoted/punished. If the Mary Sue naaru weren't there, we could have been having homophobia and fun.
    It's not only a type of magic, but part of the culture. The Light symbolizes all that is good (good here being a relative term, mainly because of the Scarlet Crusade). The difference between the normal good and the Crusade's version of good is that for the most part the Crusade has bastardized the teachings of the church (Which we've discussed already). However, since they still feel their cause is just, they can channel the Light. The Church and the Light are connected, but you don't have to follow the practices of the Church to use the Light.

It's also not the job of the priests to be killing anyone. They are healers, advice-givers. Killing innocents just because they might be burning legion worshippers is against their code of conduct and honor, as it would be for the majority of the people who follow the philosophy of the Church. The Stormwind military might do these sorts of things, but it's very unlikely. The Naaru aren't connected with the Church whatsoever, aside from their both using the Light.

As well friend, you're throwing around the phrase "Mary Sue" too much. The Church nor the Naaru are mary sues. A philosophy can't be a mary sue, and the Naaru are probably, at least to me, one of the least cliched races I've seen.