Page 1 of 3
LastLast

Alternative to getting Windows 7 64 product key?

My laptops warranty ran out so of course the computer breaks. I had an issue with windows not working right so i did a system restore but somehow the restore point wasnt readable or something so it had to do a complete system wipe. Then Windows didnt load itself right after the wipe so it messed up again. at this point ive already taken it in to a computer place and the guys said he'd fix it. i told him i couldnt ready the sticker on the bottom of my computer so i wouldnt be able to reinstall windows. Turns out thats what he did so im wondering if theres a way to salvage the product key from microsoft or if theres something else i could do.

i'd prefer not to buy a new windows key from that laptop because windows costs more than half of the computer itself.
    Its a HP G series laptop btw

Call Microsoft, explain the situation and get a new key. Other than that I don't know of a way to do it free the legal way.
    Or you have to be a student.

ill have to give that a shot tomorrow then. i didnt even think of doing that. thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Antixmother View Post
    ill have to give that a shot tomorrow then. i didnt even think of doing that. thanks
    Not 100% sure it works though. But I had to call them up one time because I re-installed Windows one time too often, and they gave me a new key to work with.

do you know what number i should call? i cant find anything from microsoft about how to reach them, it all just leads me to the comp company phones =/

Ehmm, do you have windows 7? If so, Start -> right mouse on Computer -> properties. At the bottom there should be an "click here to activate" link. In there should be instructions to call them.

Or even better than my guide is this guide: http://support.microsoft.com/kb/950929/
    Since you don't have the key anymore, choose "Contact Microsoft to help resolve this problem"

oh i forgot to mentikon that it says i need the installation discs (which i can make off another comp AFAIK) so i cant get to the desktop

15+ Year Old Account
    @OT - exactly why Asmekiel said.

off topic - I thought this was a thread about that thing we don't talk about on the comp forums. XD

oh i forgot to mentikon that it says i need the installation discs (which i can make off another comp AFAIK) so i cant get to the desktop
    Oh, right..
    A bit further searching resulted in me finding this number, no idea if it works though: Windows activation: (888) 571-2048

And yes, if you have a legit key, downloading Windows and burning it to a disc can be done. I consider torrenting something where you have a legit key of, legal.
    Here downloading is legal, uploading is illegal, don't know how what the law says about that in the USA.
    Last edited by Asmekiel; 2011-08-26 at 06:33 AM.

Making a copy of something you bought is considered legal. Breaking encryption to do so, like for movies and such, is however not. Go figure, huh. Downloading something you have purchased previously however, is not legal, as stupid as that sounds. Though you can get an ISO from MS themselves, not sure if you can do so without buying it from them however.
    EVGA Classified SR-2 | Intel Xeon X5680 x 2 | Corsair Dominator DDR3-1600 6 x 2GB | XFX HD5970 x 2
    Intel PRO/1000 PT Server NIC | ASUS Xonar DX | Corsair AX1200 | Corsair TX750
    OCZ Vertex2 60GB | WD Velociraptor 300GB x 2 | Samsung Spinpoint MP4 500GB
    EK-FB SR2 - Acetal+Nickel | EK-Supreme HF - Acetal x 2 | EK-FC5970 Acetal x 2
    Thermochill TA120.4 x 3 | Thermochill TA120.3 | Swiftech MCP655 x 2

Microsoft should be able to provide you with information regarding downloading an iso of any windows os. This has come about because of people wanting to install windows onto netbook where there is rarely a cd or dvd fitted. Just be honest about your situation and they should be understanding and allow for you to have a new key. Good luck .

Ive just reread your post, depending on what edition of windows you have, as long as you have a windows cd that you can boot from you could try doing a windows repair, which means that you will not lose your data and windows will try to repair the installation. Ive had to do this my self once or twice when my computer would not boot up. I am suprised that the computer shop person did not mention to you whether he had tried this.
    Last edited by lsmf5; 2011-08-26 at 06:59 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by ispano View Post
    Making a copy of something you bought is considered legal. Breaking encryption to do so, like for movies and such, is however not. Go figure, huh. Downloading something you have purchased previously however, is not legal, as stupid as that sounds. Though you can get an ISO from MS themselves, not sure if you can do so without buying it from them however.
    herpaderpawut... Governments really do live in the 70's....
    Just like this: http://www.reuters.com/article/2011/...77M01O20110823
    So, putting an item on your mp3player so you can listen to it in the park is legal, but putting it in a dropbox on the internet and then listening to it from your netbook in the park is copyright infringement.... Yea, I read that the EMI states that MP3tunes is giving people who illegally downloaded music the opportunity to listen to it, but mp3player manufacturers do the exact same.

If EMI has any clue how the internet works, they should now start to sue any mp3player manufacturer.
    Last edited by Asmekiel; 2011-08-26 at 07:06 AM.

Actually the big labels are trying to get streaming a song, even if it's your own dropbox account or something similar, classified as a public performance. So you would have to pay royalties on it, or not do it at all, nice huh.

No it's just the companies resisting change, trying to lobby the government to prop up their antiquated business models. As an example, http://www.techdirt.com/articles/201...question.shtml There's links in that article leading back to the original article, but this one shows the results.
    EVGA Classified SR-2 | Intel Xeon X5680 x 2 | Corsair Dominator DDR3-1600 6 x 2GB | XFX HD5970 x 2

Actually the big labels are trying to get streaming a song, even if it's your own dropbox account or something similar, classified as a public performance. So you would have to pay royalties on it, or not do it at all, nice huh.

No it's just the companies resisting change, trying to lobby the government to prop up their antiquated business models. As an example, http://www.techdirt.com/articles/201...question.shtml There's links in that article leading back to the original article, but this one shows the results.
    Then either they do not understand what they're doing or do not want to understand. But the only ones affected by such change are honest paying customers. And the first line of the article is very, very clear on that:
    Exactly as we predicted, when the Fox Network hid its TV shows online behind various paywalls and delays, the rate of infringement on those shows shot way up.
    Honest paying people are being put in a corner where they don't belong and as such start to rebel. I would do the same.
    Ever saw the piracy rate on the Ubisoft games with the Always Online-DRM? It's higher than any game before and still they state it's very effective (ofcourse, why wouldn't they. You don't just drop a product you make), while games like The Witcher 2 are being sold rather good.

As for the TV shows on FOX, I understand that there might be a little fee for the service on internet, that's normal. We have that too. But paying copyright fees again and whatever to see an episode you missed on TV is just ridiculous....

Microsoft will not help you, but point you towards the OEM (HP) for support.

What you need to do is to call HP to send you recovery discs. They will ask you the serial number of the computer, purchase date and all kinds of other tidbits, and charge something for the discs that may take a month to arrive in mail. Depending on OEM and how much you beg in the phone the price is something between free and $50.

Neither HP nor Microsoft will give you CD key that will allow installing of plain vanilla Win7.
    Never going to log into this garbage forum again as long as calling obvious troll obvious troll is the easiest way to get banned.
    Trolling should be.

Reading is technically the same as copying and viewing something on the web is also both downloading and copying. Your computer breaks these laws every few minutes on it's own.

Yeah, except they made distinctions for that. Like copying data into RAM, computer has to do that to function, so no problem. But deliberately using something like the Pirate Bay to download Windows because you bought it already, nope, not legal.

Stupid I know, but yeah.

Yeah, except they made distinctions for that. Like copying data into RAM, computer has to do that to function, so no problem. But deliberately using something like the Pirate Bay to download Windows because you bought it already, nope, not legal.

Stupid I know, but yeah.
    What about your browser downloading copyrighted stuff in to the temp folder ? It needs to do this to function, but it's saved on your computer and you can open it.
    And the piratebay thing is pretty logical, since the torrent clients usually upload when downloading something, so you are helping people download it illegally.

Scarab Lord
    15+ Year Old Account
    Retrieving a product key is perfectly legal and easy using retrieval software. I use a boot cd utility by the name of Hirens which includes a program called Mini XP allowing you to run a version of Windows XP and run the retrieval programs. The retrieval program I use is ProducKey. Never had a single issue retrieving a Microsoft Office or Windows product key with it.

Then you just need your system restore disks or a copy of Windows 7 64 Bit.

10+ Year Old Account
    My laptops warranty ran out so of course the computer breaks. I had an issue with windows not working right so i did a system restore but somehow the restore point wasnt readable or something so it had to do a complete system wipe. Then Windows didnt load itself right after the wipe so it messed up again. at this point ive already taken it in to a computer place and the guys said he'd fix it. i told him i couldnt ready the sticker on the bottom of my computer so i wouldnt be able to reinstall windows. Turns out thats what he did so im wondering if theres a way to salvage the product key from microsoft or if theres something else i could do.

i'd prefer not to buy a new windows key from that laptop because windows costs more than half of the computer itself.
    Its a HP G series laptop btw

System restore points are really not the most reliable way to recover a corrupted system. Consider back ups in future, I'm a fan of Arcronis true image back up, works like a charm as well if you have to change your primary hard drive for either an upgrade or due to a failure the disc imaging works like a charm.