Thread: Pokémon!

Deleted

The sword pokemon is called Honedge. 4:02 ->

10+ Year Old Account
    How long before the "Hurr a sword pokemon? They're so unoriginal and boring, that's not a Pokemon!" crowd shows up?

Looks awesome in my opinion.
    Men!

Quote Originally Posted by LilSaihah View Post
    I picked Biden because he may throw Obama into the Death Star's reactor core, restoring balance to the Force.

Now having a ball on SWTOR!

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Nadev View Post
    How long before the "Hurr a sword pokemon? They're so unoriginal and boring, that's not a Pokemon!" crowd shows up?

Looks awesome in my opinion.
    Hurr a sword pokemon? They're so unoriginal and boring, that's not a Pokemon!

(this is probably posted somewhere in this 176 page thread but.....yeah that's a lot to shift through)

While Nintendo takes it's time in making a PokemonMMO (It'll happen.....eventually), those craving the experience should try out Pokemmo. It's actually fairly well featured.

http://pokemmo.eu/

It's based on modifying FireRed, though it can use HeartGold/SoulSilver as a source of sprites (saddly it wont make the world 3D T_T). Basically you can play through the entire main story of FireRed while in an MMO setting where you can trade, battle, and form your own teams. My only real complaint about the game is, for some odd reason, it uses low quality MIDI versions of the music rather than the defaults, but honestly....that's kinda just nitpicking.

Hope this helps cull the Pokemon MMO cravings I know a lot of you have.....I know it's helped mine a bit XD

(Disclaimer: I know some of you will have legal questions about the legality of the game. PokeMMO does NOT contain the game itself, you must obtain it on your own. All the PokeMMO client does is modify the game and allow the online play. For that reason I won't be giving you a link on how to obtain the actual game itself, you are on your own. Preferably you are making your own copy from your own GBA carts.)
    There is a thin line between not knowing and not caring, and I like to think that I walk that line every day.

Deleted
    I'm glad they chose a sword. It could have been something a lot worse.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Muzual View Post
    Was it May or Dawn that was big on the pokemon contests? I remember enjoying them in the anime since it shifted the focus away from Ash always losing
    May started on her adventure thinking she was going to do Gym battles, but Roxanne told her about Contests.

Dawn on the other hand grew up knowing that her mother was a Top Coordinator (the coordinator that won the Grand Festival of a region), and so she always wanted to follow in her footsteps.
    By Blizzard Entertainment:
    Part of the reason is that Battlegrounds are like ducks.
    My Nintendo FC is 2208-5726-4303.

10+ Year Old Account
    aha then it was Dawn I was thinking of - I enjoyed watching Dawn's contests a lot. Great distraction from Ash's journey for a bit
    I agree. I disliked the Hoenn anime for a few reasons. I found Max annoying, and the absence of an Ash rival was a bit distracting. It also felt like it was concentrating on the cool cat in the house - the new Pokemon Contests. I think May had like 2 or 3 rivals. I did like the Team Aqua and Magma story though.

The Sinnoh anime is my favorite series so far. Paul was a great rival. It felt like they balanced the Gyms and Contests more. And Ash using strategy more, rather than pitting everything and using brute strength was a good choice.

**** VAGUE SPOILERS ****

DP series was fantastic in terms of strategy and skill development, it was even made blatantly clear that, had Ash not been beaten by Mr. "My team is all ubers", he would have won the league. I hoped it was a sign for a new direction with the series and that they were finally allowing him to move forward. He'd never made that kind of progress before, they even had the champion acknowledge him, and carried his success in the Frontier through. Making use of pokemon he'd caught in all generations in the league as well.

Then black and white starts "Hey, this is Ash he's 10 years old" - how many days to the year on their planet? I almost rafequit there... "Oh look, the wild normal type bird, time to throw a pokeball at it without a battle!" "Hey, there's an attack that's been used on me many times before... How does it work?" "Oh, look, it's a normal type gym... Time for me to lose the first challenge like every normal type gym ever"

**** /VAGUE SPOILERS ****

They see it as a cash cow having Ash in there, I agree. He and Pikachu are a major draw... So give him another developing series like DP, let him win the damn league, challenge the elite four of the region, put up a good fight against the first of them after doing respectable damage to their team, but making it clear he isn't on their level yet, Pikachu the last to go down.

Next season he's spent the last year or two training but mostly laying low, hasn't entered any leagues. Scene with Ash battling Pikachu vs one of his previous Pokemon, (I'd like to say an evolved Gible), Pikachu uses a power move he didn't know before, the other pokemon counters with the same finisher from the elite 4/Pikachu's eyes seeing elie 4's pokemon and there's a huge explosion, smoke clears and both are in their "I'm ready, no damage" pose. Ash calls out the next move only to have Pikachu instead draw his attention to the sky, Ho-oh's passing over head at which point Ash checks his compass app only to have the device state "bearing N-N-West, <name of new> region. - Tacky, but very Pokemon.

"Looks like it's time", Ash calls the other back into its ball and Pikachu to his shoulder, then picks up his backpack. Cue his mother calling him for dinner along with Mr. Mime cameo. And another pokemon from a previous gen he didn't own before - flashbacks for its story later. Ash tells his mother he's not hungry and has to go, she replies with "OK, but I've made your favourite", tummy rumbles show he's still Ash, even if older.

Departure, new region,after chat with new prof... Ash encounters Team Rocket who seem shocked to see him after so long, they have also levelled up. A battle ensues, meanwhile one of the new heroes rides her bike to the scene, as Pikachu deflects an attack which she's riding into, agility and deflects the attack awat again. TR next attack is about to hit her, so Pikachu knocks her off the bike just as the attack lands, frying the bike - same gag as before, but obvious difference, later Ash will make a joke about it not being his fault for once.

This trainer also wants to be a master, travels with Ash as more of a mentor figure. New trainer collects badges, third trainer does new gen's activity. Ash goes over the gym defeats with the new trainer and helps with strategies. When trouble arises, like Team Rocket or other danger, Ash initially intercepts and deals with it, eventually learning he has to let them fight for themselves sometimes, meanwhile new trainer develops a special strategy which Ash improves for himself. Along the way both new trainer and Ash make battle rivals, several for other trainer, for Ash it's one who's a seasoned battler who criticizes Ash for going into obscurity.

Come league time new trainer presents her badges only to have Ash also present a badge case. Flashbacks to the two scenes where after gym battle was won and they're ready to leave the town Ash says "hold on, I've got something vague to deal with", has been collecting badges the entire time. In the league the new girl takes down her rivals while Ash works his way through on the other side of the ladder. Ash's rival faces the new girl, and beats her in a condescending manner through psychological attacks. Quarter final battle Ash beats rival, last match of Q finals someone pulls out, bringing new girl back as the next highest on points of the top 16, she wins. Semi final is Ash vs new girl, their first "real" battle, Ash is the clear winner but thrilled with how strong she was, finals are his, it's league 2 to him. Battles through the elite 4 and wins. Challenges champion resulting in a tie, Ash states that it wasn't a definitive win, so he isn't the champion, others agree that this is technically true, but he states he will be back and he won't wait 2 years this time. As he leaves existing champion declaring they too need to get stronger.

And there we have a story where Ash is able to grow and improve that still gives a minimum of 3 more full seasons with Ash only also gives meaningful lasting development as well as a method of delivering the old jokes.

Honedge will be apart of my team I think..I love that it is carrying a sheathe around with it
    Nintendo 3DS Friend Code: 4527-7566-5852. PM if you add me.

Yes! Paul was great, I really like how cold he was towards the group. It wasn't exactly nice but it was very fresh to see in pokemon. I agree with you on the other points, especially Max >.>

What do you guys feel about Gen V's anime? I absolutely loved the first few episodes (I didn't watch many so I don't know how it went after the second gym). One of my favourite things were that Team Rocket was actually succeeding in their plans. I really like Jesse and James. Always secretly rooting for them
    I have liked Gen V's anime more than 3 or 4, mostly because Team Rocket isn't just for comedic value, but them actually doing something, and I wasn't a fan of contests being of any focus. Definitely not a fan of Cylan or Iris and still can't stand how they are still saying incredibly obvious things whenever there is a Pokemon battle and they are on the sidelines, but the obvious statements will probably never go away from the series.
    Last edited by Dontrike; 2013-07-05 at 09:22 PM.

Dontrike/Shadow Priest/Black Cell Faction Friend Code - 5172-0967-3866

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Ryve View Post
    **** VAGUE SPOILERS ****

DP series was fantastic in terms of strategy and skill development, it was even made blatantly clear that, had Ash not been beaten by Mr. "My team is all ubers", he would have won the league. I hoped it was a sign for a new direction with the series and that they were finally allowing him to move forward. He'd never made that kind of progress before, they even had the champion acknowledge him, and carried his success in the Frontier through. Making use of pokemon he'd caught in all generations in the league as well.

Then black and white starts "Hey, this is Ash he's 10 years old" - how many days to the year on their planet? I almost rafequit there... "Oh look, the wild normal type bird, time to throw a pokeball at it without a battle!" "Hey, there's an attack that's been used on me many times before... How does it work?" "Oh, look, it's a normal type gym... Time for me to lose the first challenge like every normal type gym ever"

**** /VAGUE SPOILERS ****
    I think it's because Gen V was meant to be like a new beginning for Pokemon. They wanted to treat it as if it was Red and Blue (or whatever the original 2 games were). They had completely new pokemon, and no old gen pokemon in B/W.

Quote Originally Posted by Auxis View Post
    I think it's because Gen V was meant to be like a new beginning for Pokemon. They wanted to treat it as if it was Red and Blue (or whatever the original 2 games were). They had completely new pokemon, and no old gen pokemon in B/W.
    I did gather that much, but I hardly appreciate it . Even more so given the big guy is brought back into his team rotation, and he's a Kanto native. It'd be more understandable if Pikachu was the only one he kept using for the series. But having a Pikachu that soloed a legendary Pokemon get his arse handed to it by what would be a level 5 is never going to sit right.

Quote Originally Posted by Auxis View Post
    However, the old ones make a glorious return in B2/W2 (the games, anyway).

As far as the series go....I think they hold onto the old ones more for nostalgia than anything.
    Last edited by Keile; 2013-07-06 at 02:00 PM.
    There is a thin line between not knowing and not caring, and I like to think that I walk that line every day.

Deleted
    I am searching for something.

That special that came with the first movie of Pokemon.

It was about a place where Pokemon could relax, and Pikachu and co were dropped there and Ash returned at the end. There was a race in the water if I remember correctly and a Hitmonlee and Hitmonchan were sparring.

EDIT: Never mind, found it. Pikachu's Summer Vacation.

http://img401.imageshack.us/img401/8190/jtx.gif

That is awesome, Honedge has a scabbard it's draws itself from for battles.

Does anyone else think that's awesome?

Quote Originally Posted by Shadow-cleave View Post
    http://img401.imageshack.us/img401/8190/jtx.gif

That is awesome, Honedge has a scabbard it's draws itself from for battles.

Does anyone else think that's awesome?
    yeah i think thats awesome.

although i felt stupid at first because i kept wondering why the sword had different designs ingame and on the artwork and was like "why the hell is it holding something" before i realized that was the sheath

Deleted
    I just have to say this: Onix are scary shit man, it's literally a giant rock snake with aggresive behaviour in the wild too.
    Brock's Onix seemed like a good guy but the rest...ugghn.n still I find an Onix's menacing looks cool too.

Quote Originally Posted by Bananarepublic View Post
    I just have to say this: Onix are scary shit man, it's literally a giant rock snake with aggresive behaviour in the wild too.
    Brock's Onix seemed like a good guy but the rest...ugghn.n still I find an Onix's menacing looks cool too.
    I like Steelix better, it looks cooler.

Got one early in my Soul Silver by catching an Onyx then using a Steel Coat from my Platinum game, thing was a tank forever.

Quote Originally Posted by Shadow-cleave View Post
    I like Steelix better, it looks cooler.

Got one early in my Soul Silver by catching an Onyx then using a Steel Coat from my Platinum game, thing was a tank forever.
    Steelix is boss, I use it whenever I can in Heart Gold or regular Gold. Definitely one of my favorite Pokémon.

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by MasterOfKnees View Post
    Steelix is boss, I use it whenever I can in Heart Gold or regular Gold. Definitely one of my favorite Pokémon.
    Steelix is pretty much the single reason i was able to beat Red about 20 levels too early. Such a beast.