Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst
    Quote Originally Posted by Synthaxx View Post
    Also, programming and hacking aren't really synonymous with each other. Most hackers have extensive knowledge of how programs and systems work, but might not really know how to program for themselves. Likewise, as a programmer, i know very little on how to actually hack, even if i know of the methods in which it's done. It comes down to the fine points of hacking that make the difference between success and failure. I know about systems (and not just in the "here's what i built" way that i usually show in this forum), but i don't know the finer points on where to start for hacking, if i was interested in doing so that is (which i'm not).
    Hacking is oftentimes even slower than an easier approach called social manipulation. Really. Smooth talking gets me everywhere and anything I want.
    Quote Originally Posted by Flyingmoney View Post
    Don't you know the meaning of life?

Get born.
    Play WoW.
    Snort crack.
    Fuck bitches.
    Die.

Quote Originally Posted by AverageForumTroll View Post
    Hacking is oftentimes even slower than an easier approach called social manipulation. Really. Smooth talking gets me everywhere and anything I want.
    Social Engineering. Pretty amazing what people will give you if you just ask

OT: Python, php, java, c#, rails (ruby on rails) would be my guesses to start. Learning some markup languages like HTML and XML would be beneficial as well
    Last edited by bals; 2011-09-24 at 08:14 AM.

Ah, that was the word I was thinking about, couldn't quite remember it
    Quote Originally Posted by Flyingmoney View Post
    Don't you know the meaning of life?

Get born.
    Play WoW.
    Snort crack.
    Fuck bitches.
    Die.

This thread got me interested in Delphi but I can't find a compiler for under $150. Anyone know a freeware version?

Delphi is more or less a waste of time at this point. Delphi is a Borland product, the actual programming language it uses is Objective Pascal. Pascal was and is a fantastic language for learning programming, but it's heyday has long since come and gone. The only real world use of Pascal/Objective Pascal is in maintaining old programs.

I'm surprised that not many of suggested Python. While C/C++/C#/Java are fantastic languages, there are some very large barriers to entry. C and C++ are particularly difficult to pickup for new programmers. C# and Java libraries are very difficult to understand. They both have huge ecosystems that surround them, which can be very overwhelming to a beginning programmer.

My absolute recommendation is Python. There is a divide in the community between version 2 and version 3 (they aren't completely compatible). But for a beginner, 2.6/2.7 is going to provide you absolutely everything you need. Check out Learning Python the Hard way. It's available for free on the internet, as are python interpreters for every platform. It's not actually that hard, and provides a tonne of great lessons.

I have a degree in Computer Science and have been programming professionally for 5 years, and as a hobbyist for another 7 years before that.

Finally, Best of luck! Programming has a MASSIVE learning curve, but there's never been a better time to learn, as the internet is full of fantastic resources for those with the patience to find the answers they need. Programming is very much about reading (a lot!) and problem solving.