Page 1 of 3
LastLast
    10+ Year Old Account

AnandTech benches the iPhone 4S

http://www.anandtech.com/show/4951/i...pu-than-ipad-2

For those too lazy to hit the link.. The only things on the market even competing with the 4S's speed are tablets. It's about twice as fast as the Galaxy S II in every benchmark.

Discuss.
    i7 930 @ 4.0Ghz | Sapphire HD5970 w/ Accelero Xtreme | ASUS P6X58D Premium | 32GB Kingston DDR3-1600
    Xonar Essence STX | 128GB Vertex 4 | AX750 | Xigmatek Elysium
    Laing D5 | XSPC RX 360mm | Koolance RP-452X2 | EK-Supreme HF
    Dell 3007WFP-HC | Samsung BX2350 | Das Keyboard Model S Ultimate | Razer Naga Molten | Sennheiser HD650

ipad2/iPhone4s are the only two dualcore handhelds at the moment. Explains the speed.

You might have some problems finding some programs requiring two cores though, or even able to utilize two cores when iOS is bit anal about running programs in background.
    Never going to log into this garbage forum again as long as calling obvious troll obvious troll is the easiest way to get banned.
    Trolling should be.

Fast, but not much more significant, judging from my experience with iPad2. Not many apps utilize the dual core until later, even then lesser phone still run those apps well.

Quote Originally Posted by vesseblah View Post
    ipad2/iPhone4s are the only two dualcore handhelds at the moment. Explains the speed.

You might have some problems finding some programs requiring two cores though, or even able to utilize two cores when iOS is bit anal about running programs in background.
    yeah... the galaxy 2 is dualcore...

Quote Originally Posted by Skelly View Post

For those too lazy to hit the link.. The only things on the market even competing with the 4S's speed are tablets. It's about twice as fast as the Galaxy S II in every benchmark.

Discuss.
    What is there to discuss?
    New gen phone beating last gen phones? WAit for competition to release their new phones, then there is something to discuss. Tough outcome will be probably similar as was with regular iphone 4. Everything being better while being cheaper than iphone lol (o and also benchmarks are just that...benchmarks, often they dont represent actual speed or functionality of the device)
    I personally will NEVER understand apple users. Apple products often are inferior to competition or on par at best (current 4s situation is temporary as competition hasnt released their phones yet) yet you pay like 40% more for it lol
    Why would i buy apple iphone 4 if i can get samsung galaxy s2/motorola atrix for like half the price while both are vastly superior to iphone 4? oO

edit: o and i just noticed that they benchmark vs old version of galaxy s2 which is 1.2ghz not 1.5ghz
    Last edited by Dexiefy; 2011-10-11 at 03:58 PM.

Galaxy S2 and (iirc) Droid Bionic would like a word with you

The only things on the market even competing with the 4S's speed are tablets. It's about twice as fast as the Galaxy S II in every benchmark.

Discuss.
    Not only Galaxy s 2 is 6 months old already , it is much faster than the current Iphone4. 4S is still not released and these statistics are not official , they're based on leaks (go figure). Also , the difference is not 100% (ie. twice) , but more like 50%.
    Also Samsung is preparing the galaxy s3 , which will be better in terms of performance , compared to the 4S (the same as galaxy s2 vs. iphone4)

It's just stupid to compare a yet to be released phone to a 6 month old one.

Just my .02

Droid X2 sports the Tegra 2 as well... Far more dual core handhelds than you think

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Dexiefy View Post
    What is there to discuss?
    New gen phone beating last gen phones? WAit for competition to release their new phones, then there is something to discuss. Tough outcome will be probably similar as was with regular iphone 4. Everything being better while being cheaper than iphone lol (o and also benchmarks are just that...benchmarks, often they dont represent actual speed or functionality of the device)
    I personally will NEVER understand apple users. Apple products often are inferior to competition or on par at best (current 4s situation is temporary as competition hasnt released their phones yet) yet you pay like 40% more for it lol
    Why would i buy apple iphone 4 if i can get samsung galaxy s2/motorola atrix for like half the price while both are vastly superior to iphone 4? oO

edit: o and i just noticed that they benchmark vs old version of galaxy s2 which is 1.2ghz not 1.5ghz
    God, I don't even know where to begin. First off, what is up with this constant changing from the hypocrite, Apple bashers? Earlier, benchmarks were the holy grail and the proof that [insert android phone here] is faster than the iPhone. Android bashers would say that benchmarks don't matter, because real life performance is what matters. Right. So now the new iPhone rapes every other phone out there on the benchmarks, the OS itself hasn't been made slower one bit (in fact, they made iOS 5 so good that even the iPhone 3GS with iOS 5 is faster than some recent Android phones). And suddenly, benchmarks aren't important and it is about real life performance? Did you forget iOS has the crown there as well? Seriously, stop this pathetic thickheaded fanboyism. It's really pathetic. Just accept it. The new iPhone is the FASTEST PHONE EVER, for now. Deal with it.

If you want to buy a Samsung Galaxy S2 or Motorala Atrix for half the price, sure. If you think it's vastly superior to the iPhone 4, go ahead. No one is stopping you. I guess the sale numbers show what most people think. I guess the customer satisfactory ratings, the reviews and the return rates show you what most people think as well. It's fine and you are entitled to your own opinion (however crappy and based on ignorance or unfunded hate). But coming in here to mindlessly (and factlessly, because you have not supported any of your retarded claims one bit) bash Apple is pathetic.

Do you think that the extra .3 Ghz will make the Galaxy S2 automagically twice as fast? I thought we were done with this "more Ghz = more speed" crap a decade ago.

Come on, even with the price Apple has made it hard for anyone to compete with the iPhones and iPads. Yeah, the Mac side of things are a bit more expensive, but don't take that to the iOS side. Show me this 40% cheaper Samsung Galaxy S2 then.

It doesn't surprise me that you do not understand Apple users. In fact, I wouldn't be surprised if you didn't understand a lot in life, judging by your post. Stop being a thickheaded [insert company here] fanboy and just be glad Apple is there to provide competition. Be glad that so much is happening in phone land, especially if you seem to care so much about phones as your post makes it seem. If it weren't for Apple, I'm sure all these Android phones and the Android OS itself would be a wholly lot different.

Stop being a dick.

* User was infracted for language and flaming. You are welcome to express your opinion, but do so in a tidely manner
    Last edited by BicycleMafioso; 2011-10-11 at 05:28 PM.
    I'm a reverse solipsist. I know the rest of the universe is real, I just don't have any conclusive proof that I exist.

15+ Year Old Account
    This side of an imaginary line in the sand
    Is it really necessary to benchmark a... phone? Really?

My HTC Vision seems as fast as any other handset I've tried, in real world scenarios anyway.
    red panda red panda red panda!

iPhone 4s is not out yet, ofcourse it will be faster. I'm curious to see the Google nexus prime benches, though.

Deleted
    Here's the benchmark without the misleading graph that only shows the stuff the 4S is better at:

http://www.glbenchmark.com/compare.j...e%20iPhone%204

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by XenuMC View Post
    God, I don't even know where to begin. First off, what is up with this constant changing from the hypocrite, Apple bashers? Earlier, benchmarks were the holy grail and the proof that [insert android phone here] is faster than the iPhone. Android bashers would say that benchmarks don't matter, because real life performance is what matters. Right. So now the new iPhone rapes every other phone out there on the benchmarks, the OS itself hasn't been made slower one bit (in fact, they made iOS 5 so good that even the iPhone 3GS with iOS 5 is faster than some recent Android phones). And suddenly, benchmarks aren't important and it is about real life performance? Did you forget iOS has the crown there as well? Seriously, stop this pathetic thickheaded fanboyism. It's really pathetic. Just accept it. The new iPhone is the FASTEST PHONE EVER, for now. Deal with it.

If you want to buy a Samsung Galaxy S2 or Motorala Atrix for half the price, sure. If you think it's vastly superior to the iPhone 4, go ahead. No one is stopping you. I guess the sale numbers show what most people think. I guess the customer satisfactory ratings, the reviews and the return rates show you what most people think as well. It's fine and you are entitled to your own opinion (however crappy and based on ignorance or unfunded hate). But coming in here to mindlessly (and factlessly, because you have not supported any of your retarded claims one bit) bash Apple is pathetic.

Do you think that the extra .3 Ghz will make the Galaxy S2 automagically twice as fast? I thought we were done with this "more Ghz = more speed" crap a decade ago.

Come on, even with the price Apple has made it hard for anyone to compete with the iPhones and iPads. Yeah, the Mac side of things are a bit more expensive, but don't take that to the iOS side. Show me this 40% cheaper Samsung Galaxy S2 then.

It doesn't surprise me that you do not understand Apple users. In fact, I wouldn't be surprised if you didn't understand a lot in life, judging by your post. Stop being a thickheaded [insert company here] fanboy and just be glad Apple is there to provide competition. Be glad that so much is happening in phone land, especially if you seem to care so much about phones as your post makes it seem. If it weren't for Apple, I'm sure all these Android phones and the Android OS itself would be a wholly lot different.

Stop being a dick.
    OH snap. I agree 100 % though. All the apple bash without any facts is just hilarious.

Many of my friends are also androidfanboys, or just general apple Haters, saying that they're hypocrites and money suckers e.t.c....
    Next time I see someone post something about apple being so bad I'll redirect them to this post, seriously.
    (I'm not saying android phones are bad, they're great, but apple products don't deserve all the hate that's thrown at them. It's just ridicolous.)

(Since the infraction I guess I'll add some to make this a bit more constructive, not trying to upheave it or anything just making it less spammy.)
    * User was infracted for this post. Unconstructive posts (Quoting big posts and just adding a one-liner) is considered spam.
    Last edited by Geekbustarz; 2011-10-11 at 06:08 PM. Reason: blaah
    Quote Originally Posted by Tzzentch View Post
    honestly what happened in BC? it's like the 60's of WoW everything is in awful colours, shit doesn't make sense and i feel like i'm trippin bawls everytime i level an alt past 58...
    Shattarath is kinda pretty but outside is a technicolour nightmare that looks like someone tied horses to the contrast slider and fired a rifle

Not true at all. My Google G2X is a dual core Tegra phone (each core running at 1.2 Ghz)
    01001000 01101001 00100001

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by foolmetwice View Post
    Here's the benchmark without the misleading graph that only shows the stuff the 4S is better at:

http://www.glbenchmark.com/compare.j...e%20iPhone%204
    Still, on most points where the 4s wasn't winning it was literally just behind, and on the points that the 4s was better on it blew the galaxy S 2 out of the water.
    Quote Originally Posted by Tzzentch View Post
    honestly what happened in BC? it's like the 60's of WoW everything is in awful colours, shit doesn't make sense and i feel like i'm trippin bawls everytime i level an alt past 58...
    Shattarath is kinda pretty but outside is a technicolour nightmare that looks like someone tied horses to the contrast slider and fired a rifle

Most of the new phones are dual-core these days. AFAIK, only Sony Ericsson hasn't released one yet. My Galaxy SII is definitely dual core, though.

Quote Originally Posted by Callisa View Post
    Not only Galaxy s 2 is 6 months old already , it is much faster than the current Iphone4. 4S is still not released and these statistics are not official , they're based on leaks (go figure). Also , the difference is not 100% (ie. twice) , but more like 50%.
    Also Samsung is preparing the galaxy s3 , which will be better in terms of performance , compared to the 4S (the same as galaxy s2 vs. iphone4)

It's just stupid to compare a yet to be released phone to a 6 month old one.

Just my .02
    I'd say they would be accurate. And why is it stupid to compare a to-be-released phone to an old phone? The SII is renowned as a performance king of todays segment. Obviously they want to compare it to the 'best', no?

The main issue with this phone, is it being a shrunk/downscaled iPad, will be batterytime. It will be horrible. :P
    Also, did they fix the antennae issue with the 4s?

Quote Originally Posted by tetrisGOAT View Post
    Most of the new phones are dual-core these days. AFAIK, only Sony Ericsson hasn't released one yet. My Galaxy SII is definitely dual core, though.

I'd say they would be accurate. And why is it stupid to compare a to-be-released phone to an old phone? The SII is renowned as a performance king of todays segment. Obviously they want to compare it to the 'best', no?

The main issue with this phone, is it being a shrunk/downscaled iPad, will be batterytime. It will be horrible. :P
    What I meant was that with the 4S being slightly better overall (as in the GLbenchmarks , with some fields being way ahead and some being way behind , just the average to be lil better ), I find the Applefanbois super proud of Apple releasing a phone slightly better than the 6month S2 , a little bit silly.

Not my comparing itself, but rather "laughing off the competition" , which applefanbois tend to do with the 4S announced.

S2 is still the 'best' , until 4S comes (and later taken over by galaxy s3).

Discuss.
    i want iphone 5. discuss

* User was infracted for unconcstructive posting.
    Last edited by BicycleMafioso; 2011-10-11 at 05:24 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Asera View Post
    Is it really necessary to benchmark a... phone? Really?

My HTC Vision seems as fast as any other handset I've tried, in real world scenarios anyway.
    Pretty much my thoughts exactly-I have never in my life imagined a need for a phone to do this right now.

@XenuMc: your quote here "

Stop being a dick."

IS probably the main reason people think apple fanboys are annoying. "YOU NOT LIKE APPLE? YOU STUPID AND KNOW NOTHING ABOUT LIFE LOL GET AN APPLE YOU KNOW WHATS UP THEN!"

Quote Originally Posted by tetrisGOAT View Post

Intelligent dual switching antennae was mentioned at iphone release last week. Should fix the death grip problem from what I have read. THe A5 in the 4S is downclocked to conserve battery power and only takes a marginal hit to talk and standby time vs. the 4, if any according to release again.
    Krimson states...
    Clearly the correct play here is to drop acid everyday.
    Just because you can't easily overdose on acid doesn't mean that dropping 50 hits in a night won't turn you into a drooling retard.