Page 24 of 27 FirstFirst ...
... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Greywardenn View Post
    I know not getting DI sucks but you can/should be pulling a lot more dps.
    I noticed a couple of things and the most important things are at the bottom of this list

1) You are at 3352 haste,....the last attainable haste break point in this tier is 3202, you should reforge that extra haste into mastery.
    2) The second thing I noticed (from just looking at your Ultra log as that is pretty much a patchwerk fight) is that you aren't using your 4 piece rotation which is an easy 2k increase in DPS if you are doing it right, please take a look at howtopriest.com and look under the 4 piece rotation lists to see what fits your playstyle.
    3) You only used one Pot
    4) You only got off 2 shadow word:death,....definitely not a good thing, in execute phase, which is sub 25% shadow word:death jumps to the top of your priority list
    5) Probably the most concerning is that you only cast Mind blast 19 times, not much else can be said as Mind blast is your hardest hitting spell. In optimal conditions with the time it took your group to kill Ultra you could have easily gotten off 40 Mind blasts and maxed out at around 46 with optimal Fading lights. With your gear right now, that is (not factoring crits) an 800k damage loss overall.

Fix all of the above and you should be better
    Also forgot to note that you are missing your LW enchant,....get this profession up quickly

Item Level 395
    Expectations: Increase DPS
    Armory Link: http://us.battle.net/wow/en/characte.../Indygo/simple
    Worldoflogs Link:
    http://www.worldoflogs.com/reports/q...?s=3157&e=3683 (Heroic Yor'sahj)
    http://www.worldoflogs.com/reports/q...?s=4902&e=5240 (Heroic Zon'ozz) - 1st ever Heroic kill
    http://www.worldoflogs.com/reports/5...?s=6047&e=6362 (Heroic Ultraxion)

I recently changed my main raider from my hunter (which was always top DPS and ranked quite a few time on WoL) to a shadow priest in order to give the raid group more utility with off-healing, though shadow is my main spec.
    However I have not been happy with my DPS compared to my hunter and hope people here can help me out.
    I am still gearing this toon up (still have LFR legs, etc), but I still think my DPS should be higher than it currently is. Also, I can't get Wowreforge to work on my computer, I always get a "silverlight" error with it

Thanks in advance!
    Last edited by Thaela; 2012-05-25 at 01:56 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Thaela View Post
    Item Level 395
    Expectations: Increase DPS
    Armory Link: http://us.battle.net/wow/en/characte.../Indygo/simple
    Worldoflogs Link:
    http://www.worldoflogs.com/reports/q...?s=3157&e=3683 (Heroic Yor'sahj)
    http://www.worldoflogs.com/reports/q...?s=4902&e=5240 (Heroic Zon'ozz) - 1st ever Heroic kill
    http://www.worldoflogs.com/reports/5...?s=6047&e=6362 (Heroic Ultraxion)

I recently changed my main raider from my hunter (which was always top DPS and ranked quite a few time on WoL) to a shadow priest in order to give the raid group more utility with off-healing, though shadow is my main spec.
    However I have not been happy with my DPS compared to my hunter and hope people here can help me out.
    I am still gearing this toon up (still have LFR legs, etc), but I still think my DPS should be higher than it currently is. Also, I can't get Wowreforge to work on my computer, I always get a "silverlight" error with it

Thanks in advance!
    Hi,

First off,...your comp is really caster friendly at all, you really don't have any buffs that help out your DPS. You are missing a warlock for DI and/or SP buff (if Demo) you're missing 3% from Arcane Mage or Ret Pally, your hunter should get the wind serpent pet to at least give the 8% increased spell damage, oh and you don't have an elemental shaman for sp and crit. You may think that being dependent on buffs sucks (and it does) but currently shadowpriests are the most reliant on buffs. They scale so amazingly with every buff *cough* HM major domo *cough* normal/HM Madness *cough* that buffs are really required to do above average dps. Take it from somebody who mains a shadowpriest and is constantly ranking on WOL between the 20's-low 110 ranks (pre 20% nerf with no gimmicks to boost dps), without the correct buffs you are really going to be doing ok damage.

As for your gear, you have way too much haste at the moment,...get to 30% raid buffed and then the rest into mastery. Unless you can reach 3202 haste you are wasting stats, more mastery means bigger 4 piece damage. Obviously you don't have the optimal gear but if you get lucky enough to have your trinket proc during your burn,...you should see some nice numbers.

As for logs, I chose to look at HM Yorsahj as that's my favorite fight and you have really low dot uptimes 42% VT and 56% SW:P. You may be on ooze duty but even then all you have to do is go 35-40 yds from the boss in the direction of the ooze you have to burn and keep your dots up as best you can. Your uptimes are obviously not going to be 95-100% (especially with 4 piece it will be more like 80-85%) with all of the mind searing you are going to be doing on add phase but 42% is not going to get you anywhere. A trick I use on this fight is I dot up (VT and SW:P) as many of the adds as possible before they get to the boss as MS isn't going to go hit them all until they're bunched up, it helps with DPS, take a look at my log for this fight (was ranked at a 28 at the time) http://www.worldoflogs.com/reports/r...98#Greywardenn

Thank you so much for the quick reply! I'm going to PM you, if that's ok, so I don't take up room in this thread.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Thaela View Post
    Also, I can't get Wowreforge to work on my computer, I always get a "silverlight" error with it

Thanks in advance!
    Change web browser.

Quote Originally Posted by Joyful View Post
    Change web browser.
    I'm on a mac and use safari, which it says is one of the supported browsers in the error info... so not sure why it won't work =/ I'm not going to download a whole separate browser just to use that one site though..

EDIT: nvm, got it working yay!
    Last edited by Thaela; 2012-05-25 at 05:34 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Joyful View Post
    Ye due to how ultraxion work that would be your best bet to get a accurate log
    Hey man, I finally did a log of my own. I think I still need to improve SW-D casts, but other than that, I was pretty happy with it.

Looking forward to your feedback!

http://www.worldoflogs.com/reports/2.../?s=853&e=1106

The Patient
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Skygoneblue View Post
    Hey man, I finally did a log of my own. I think I still need to improve SW-D casts, but other than that, I was pretty happy with it.

Looking forward to your feedback!

http://www.worldoflogs.com/reports/2.../?s=853&e=1106
    Hey that's a pretty big improvement! Awesome!

Things you still may want to look at:
    Are you timing your trinket usage with your 4 piece cooldowns?

Make sure you are spacing your Mind Spikes and your Mind Blast with shadow word: death or mind flay so that you get 3 orbs up for the instant mind blasts.

You could probably take away a lot of haste and reforge it to mastery. I usually tell people to reforge to be like 30.5% haste raid buffed and put the rest of the haste into mastery. That will help you maximize those burst periods.
    www.mostlydead.enjin.com - We're recruiting!

Quote Originally Posted by lwalker8 View Post
    Hey that's a pretty big improvement! Awesome!

Things you still may want to look at:
    Are you timing your trinket usage with your 4 piece cooldowns?

Make sure you are spacing your Mind Spikes and your Mind Blast with shadow word: death or mind flay so that you get 3 orbs up for the instant mind blasts.

You could probably take away a lot of haste and reforge it to mastery. I usually tell people to reforge to be like 30.5% haste raid buffed and put the rest of the haste into mastery. That will help you maximize those burst periods.
    Thanks lwalker! I may have slipped and done a Mind Spike too early, but yep, I know to space them out. As for the trinket procs, I generally don't watch for them. Well, technically, I'll be watching for Power Torrent and Lightweave procs - neither of my trinkets contribute anything important to Shadowfiend burst.

Appreciate the feedback sir!

The Patient
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Skygoneblue View Post
    Thanks lwalker! I may have slipped and done a Mind Spike too early, but yep, I know to space them out. As for the trinket procs, I generally don't watch for them. Well, technically, I'll be watching for Power Torrent and Lightweave procs - neither of my trinkets contribute anything important to Shadowfiend burst.

Appreciate the feedback sir!
    Oh you may have been in heroic spine gear or something, I saw the vial trinket on there. Good luck with everything!
    www.mostlydead.enjin.com - We're recruiting!

Quote Originally Posted by lwalker8 View Post
    This is wrong and is a clear GCD loss.

To clarify this more, even though that Mind Blast is instant cast, it still triggers a GCD. And SP's GCD duration is always the same as Mind Blast's cast time is, making that GCD spend on SW: D a waste, because you could cast the actual Mind Blast instead, but you need it's cast time back to get 3 orbs during the cast.

The only way to execute this is to use a /cancelaura Mind Melt macro, which you need to mash like crazy while casting your last Mind Spike (the one which will be followed by a Mind Blast).
    Some have also tried to macro the /cancelaura Mind Melt into ther Mind Blast (well, at least I have), but due to how casters work (spell que-ing, which you should be doing in case you're not), server lag doesn't allow it to work properly, so you have to use it as I explained above.

And the most proper use of AA/SF is that you should try to get 3 orbs before you pop either of them, then first pop AA and cast a Mind Blast with those 3 orbs and AA up, then pop SFiend (because AA lasts 18 seconds, but Shadowfiend is only 15) and start spiking until MB is back off cooldown, and do the cancelaura on your last MS. That way your next Mind Blast gets it's cast time back, which is just enough time for your Shadowfiend to get 1 melee attack off, and award that Mind Blast with 3 orbs.

This has to be done really fast, and requires hilarious amounts of practice in order to be able to execute it perfectly, but on the bright side, it's twice as rewarding as it's hard.

~ Veiled <Enraged Revolution> Sylvanas EU.
    Last edited by veiledy0; 2012-06-17 at 03:04 PM.

For spine specifically yes the cancelaura method is definitely better than spacing with MF because the main benefit of spacing with MF is that when it's time to put your DoT's up you are starting with 5 stacks of eveangelism and that doesn't matter on heroic spine at all. On the other fights though both methods are equally viable when done correctly.

Quote Originally Posted by Arlee View Post
    For spine specifically yes the cancelaura method is definitely better than spacing with MF because the main benefit of spacing with MF is that when it's time to put your DoT's up you are starting with 5 stacks of eveangelism and that doesn't matter on heroic spine at all. On the other fights though both methods are equally viable when done correctly.
    Actually, I think cancelaura method is the best on every boss.

Instead of spacing with MF, I just use the last 2 seconds of Archangel (MB still having 3 sec cooldown remaining here, so no way to get it off during AA) to stack up Evangelism. That way I don't just get 25%+dmg on the Mind Flay, but also keep the 3 orbs from Shadowfiend's last attack for my next Mind Blast.

Could also just be me used to doing it the "hard way" all the time.

I'm not sure about other ways of use yielding less dps, I'm just 100% sure they can't be better, just perhaps the same.

Feel free to correct me of course, since I haven't even tried other ways of executing those 2 cooldowns, because just simple maths has proved most of them less beneficial.
    Last edited by veiledy0; 2012-06-18 at 10:13 PM.
    When you cried I'd wipe away all of your tears
    When you'd scream I'd fight away all of your fears
    And I held your hand through all of these years

Eh I am basing it off from testing Kilee has done on the subject. His conclusion is that there isn't really a difference between the two methods over the course of a fight; though individual people all seem to get better results with one method or the other but I think that is just one of those things has to do with the individuals in questions and all the variables involved between the different people.

If you want to read a lot of talking/maths on it there is a long discussion thread here: http://howtopriest.com/viewtopic.php?f=21&t=1176

Quote Originally Posted by Arlee View Post
    Eh I am basing it off from testing Kilee has done on the subject. His conclusion is that there isn't really a difference between the two methods over the course of a fight; though individual people all seem to get better results with one method or the other but I think that is just one of those things has to do with the individuals in questions and all the variables involved between the different people.

If you want to read a lot of talking/maths on it there is a long discussion thread here: http://howtopriest.com/viewtopic.php?f=21&t=1176
    Your name rings a bell, so I pretty much knew where your claims are coming from. That's the actual reason why I said you may feel free to correct me.

But I think I'll just stick to my cancelaura thingy 'till MoP, since it's farm status anyways.

Was just giving the newcomers a heads up in the original post about the cancelaura use.

You can never get the same parses, even with the exact same rotations, 'cause of that, oh so useless to SP's, stat called crit rating, anyways.

Yea I was just saying that neither way is imperially better than the other

10+ Year Old Account
    What's the stat prio for 4p? Simcraft says crit over mastery. I think not. I'm confused.
    Science flies you to the moon. Religion flies you into buildings.
    To resist the influence of others, knowledge of oneself is most important.

Quote Originally Posted by Moshic View Post
    What's the stat prio for 4p? Simcraft says crit over mastery. I think not. I'm confused.
    C/p of my post from the official priest forums:

Haste outweighs mastery by far, until you reach 30.1% haste, or to be more precise, these exact haste rating values:

With dark intent | Without dark intent
    Rating Goblin | Rating Goblin
    2589 2437 | 2141 1993

These add the 2nd extra tick on your Vamp Touch.

After that is when haste and mastery become on par stats, meaning that on single target fights they yield the exact same results per rating.

Which you should reforge for depends mostly on the fight mechanics, having fights with burst phases, like Hagara and Spine favor heavy mastery builds, but most other fights favor heavy haste builds. Morchok and Warmaster 'cause of multidotting, Yor'Sahj and Madness 'cause of AoE.

Ultraxion is neutral 'cause of the thing mentioned above (both being on par on single target), but you should also favor haste here, just in case RNG doesn't serve you well, and you don't get to clip your AA/SF in-between the 2 times raid members get fading lights.
    As for crit, it is your most useless stat on most fights, and is never to be even compared with mastery.
    Last edited by veiledy0; 2012-06-20 at 03:38 PM.

10+ Year Old Account
    I'm curious. What's the difference between:

MS, MS, Cancelaura MB
    and
    MS, MS, waiting for 3 orbs from SF, MB

It seems to me the cast time and/or gcd would be longer than simply waiting

Quote Originally Posted by chazus View Post
    I'm curious. What's the difference between:

MS, MS, Cancelaura MB
    Requires 3 global cooldowns.

and
    MS, MS, waiting for 3 orbs from SF, MB
    Requires 4 global cooldowns.

It seems to me the cast time and/or gcd would be longer than simply waiting
    The cast time of your Vampiric Touch, Mind Spike, Mind Blast and Flash Heal is always precisely the same as the duration of your GCD.
    Those are actually the spells you use to figure out how long your GCD is.

The reasons why those spells have a cast time is to get better scaling with your spellpower (scaling formulas contain the cast time in their calculations), and to give your opponents in arena something to interrupt, so you can't just go jumping around, mashing instants, doting everyone, like warlocks do ATM 'cause their Soul Swap/Fel Flame. /shadowpriestcries.
    Last edited by veiledy0; 2012-06-20 at 03:53 PM.