Poll: Which class, in your opinion has the most "Lore Potential"?

Page 1 of 4
... LastLast

WoD: Classes With The Most "Lore Potential"

So... With WoD bringing us back to Draenor as it used to be, I started thinking:

Which classes would have it the easiest immersing themselves in that atmosphere?

I've divided it into 3 categories, each representing a different theme Draenor has to offer:

1. The Orcish Clans
    Lots of stories could be told here; the orc clans, while varying from one another in some aspects, have many things in common, such as the adherence of shamans, the tribal style of living, and interaction of nature, I see 3 main classes that have the most potential coming from this direction:

Shamans - Ner'zhul and his shadowmoon clan could provide interesting quests and lore-knowlegde about the origins of shamanism, and their way of life, what was shamanism before it evolved and changed into it's Azerothian manifestation ?
    How did each of the clans and it's leaders approach shamanism? did all of them accept shamanism as the way to go ? or did some clans dismiss it as inferior to the path of blood and honor - the path of the warrior? How will they treat the Troll / Tauren / green Orc and Goblin shamans they'll encounter? In short, History & Mystery ?

Warlocks - Gul'dan and his stormreaver clan pretty much brought the Warlocks to both Draenor and Azeorth, lots of story going on there.

Death-Knights - The 1st Death-Knight ever was Teron Gorefiend, Gul'dans loyal Acolyte: With his future now wide open, he may not turn into a Death-Knight in WoD's timeline, but he could sure as hell shed some light on the origins of the Death-Knights, so I expect some interesting things there.

Warriors - Orcs... blood & honor... victory or death.... need I say more?

Hunters - Orcs, tribes, hides, wolves... more?

2. The Draenei
    Going back to Draenor will be a hell of trip for the Draenei fans, one of the most advanced and intriguing races (imo):
    After losing their home planet of Argus to the defecting Eredar led by Archimonde & Kil'jaeden who joined Sargeras in the Burning Legion, Velen was forced to flee from planet to planet in order to protect his people from the wrath of the legion, Draenor, was where he made his most impressive of home away from home, assisted by the entities of light - the Naaru, and his visions of the future - Velen and the Draenei on Draenor have some expected and unexpected classes to shed some light on (pun intended):

Paladins - Where did the Draenei paladins (who far outdate the existence of any paladins on azeorth) get their powers from ? the Naaru ? in what do they difer from the modern paladins we see today ? was their use of the light infused with religious agendas?

Priests - Same as paladins pretty much

Shamans - Yes, again, while the first Draenei shamans weren't exactly Draenei, they were Broken (Nonbundo): malformed Draenei who lost connection with the light as a result from some mysterious plague / curse. I really hope they shed some light on the origins of that plague.
    In addition, without the orcs being corrupted by fel-energy, will the ancestors still seek out Nobundo and offer him their wisdom, thus making him the 1st Draenei shaman ? or will they stick to the Orcs of the Iron-Horde, will the shamans of the Alliance teach their new allies the ways of the Shaman ? (shamanism has yet to be introduced to the Draenei of Draeneor at that time).

3. The Wilds of Draenor
    As Dave Kosak said many times during Blizzcon: "WoD is going to be SAVAGE, Draenor is going to be SAVAGE".
    With all this "Savageness" going around, The Mok'nathal tribe going about (Rexxar - yay!), and the great variety of feral beasts awaiting us, I imagine some pretty cool quests of tackling enormous foes: Gorgrons, Chimeras, Ogres, enormous Boars, and other unknown savage and fearsome creatures.
    So much hunter potential, I wonder if there will be any "expedition-like" quests and events scattered across the land, in far away lands, at the un-restrained wilds of Draenor.

Hunters - said above.

The least "lore potential" I predict for these following classes (from least to most):

Monks > Mages > Druids > Rogues

Would be interesting to see how these classes (represented by us players, most likely) interact with a world that has practically no knowledge of them! so that's the lore WE can bring to Draenor, instead of it to us!

Feel free to discuss and reason your choices!

I for one, think Shamans have the most potential this expansion.
    Although, since they got some love in Cataclysm, I predict it will be shared evenly between Shamans / Warlocks / Paladins / Priests.
    Last edited by Falu; 2013-12-03 at 04:36 PM.

I'd scratch DK off. The only real thing they share with our DK's is the name.

While others are possible (I don't think warlocks will get much due to MOP), paladin and shaman were hinted at by blizz.
    Quote Originally Posted by Endus View Post
    which is kind of like saying "of COURSE you can't see the unicorns, unicorns are invisible, silly."

Deleted
    Shaman>=Paladin>warrior>=Warlocks

Quote Originally Posted by Raiju View Post
    I'd scratch DK off. The only real thing they share with our DK's is the name.

While others are possible (I don't think warlocks will get much due to MOP), paladin and shaman were hinted at by blizz.

They don't need to share much with our DKs to be relevant in terms of lore... it will be damn interesting learning more about Teron Gorefiend, the origins of the death-knights, and how they used to be in their earliest stages, before the LK came about.

Quote Originally Posted by Alceus View Post
    Shaman>=Paladin>warrior>=Warlocks
    What makes you think Paladins are superior to Priests in terms of lore-potential this expansion ?
    I pretty much find them equal, perhaps with priests pulling ahead slightly - Don't forget Yrel, a prominent Draenei / Alliance figure is a Priest, and so is Velen.
    Last edited by Falu; 2013-12-03 at 12:48 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Falu View Post
    They don't need to share much with out DKs to be relevant in terms of lore... it will be damn interesting learning more about Teron Gorefiend, the origins of the death-knights, and how they used to be in their earliest stages, before the LK came about.
    They still have nothing to do with "modern" scourge Death Knights, though, and therefore do not actually fit into this topic.

Quote Originally Posted by huth View Post
    They still have nothing to do with "modern" scourge Death Knights, though, and therefore do not actually fit into this topic.
    I don't understand why not?

Learning about your class' history, regardless of how different you are from what it once was, is still relevant to your class...
    If I could compare it to something, I'd say learning more about Teron Gorefiend and the origins of the Death-Knights, can be paralleled to us (humans) learning about our pre-history: The evolution of man-kind, homo-sapiens, the transition from being hunter-gatheres into farmers etc. etc.
    While learning about Death-Knights under the LK in the Scourge could be paralleled to our more recent history (world war 1 for example etc.).

I find both relevant to the Death-knight class as both my examples are relevant to us humans today - different types of history.... Anyway, that's the way I see it at least.
    Last edited by Falu; 2013-12-03 at 12:58 PM.

Well, obviously warriors, shamans and warlocks will have more lore potential in this expansion. Rogues, mages, priests and paladins not so much but there is still some potential there. I don't see druids, hunters, DK's and monks getting much lore love this expansion though. I hope they do, but I doubt. It will probably be all about the three first ones, particulary shamans.

I don't understand why not?

Learning about your class' history, regardless of different you are from what it once was, is still relevant to your class...
    If I could compare it to something, I'd say learning more about Teron Gorefiend and the origins of the Death-Knights, can be paralleled to us (humans) learning about our pre-history: The evolution of man-kind, homo-sapiens, the transition from being hunter-gatheres into farmers etc. etc.
    While learning about Death-Knights under the LK in the Scourge could be paralleled to our more recent history (world war 1 for example etc.).

I find both relevant to the Death-knight class.... Anyway, that's the way I see it at least.
    They are not created the same, and don't have the same powers.

It's like comparing blood elf and human paladins, except there's no gameplay excuse in place. They're closer to warlocks than dk's.
    which is kind of like saying "of COURSE you can't see the unicorns, unicorns are invisible, silly."

Bloodsail Admiral
    15+ Year Old Account
    Shaman (Both sides, mostly Horde focused) and Pally (Draenei) during the opening stages of us vs. the Iron Horde. Warlock later on if the Legion gets involved.

Shaman probably trumps the rest because... y'know... orcs and Metzen and stuff.

Quote Originally Posted by Disgruntled Penguin View Post
    Shaman (Both sides, mostly Horde focused) and Pally (Draenei) during the opening stages of us vs. the Iron Horde. Warlock later on if the Legion gets involved.

Shaman probably trumps the rest because... y'know... orcs and Metzen and stuff.
    Shamans got nothing in cataclysm, I wouldn't expect anything now.

2. The Draeneis
    The plural of Draenei is Draenei

Quote Originally Posted by Raiju View Post
    They are not created the same, and don't have the same powers.

It's like comparing blood elf and human paladins, except there's no gameplay excuse in place. They're closer to warlocks than dk's.
    They are closer to warlocks... after all, they were once acolytes, these first DKs... but aren't they apart of the death-knight evolution?
    These "closer to warlocks" guys, are the rough uncut gem, blueprint if you'd like, for the future distinctive death knights we know today from the Scourge... or am I getting something terribly wrong?

Also, to all you other folks picking Paladin... What about Priests? c'mon! They are atleast tied up with paladins... I said it in a previous post... but... Yrel, Velen - Priests! hello?

Quote Originally Posted by Jeffseid View Post
    The plural of Draenei is Draenei
    You sir, are right - fixed!

They are closer to warlocks... after all, they were once acolytes, these first DKs... but aren't they apart of the death-knight evolution?
    These "closer to warlocks" guys, are the rough uncut gem, blueprint if you'd like, for the future distinctive death knights we know today from the Scourge... or am I getting something terribly wrong?
    I don't believe there is *ANYTHING* in common besides the name, no.

My top 5 picks.

1. Shaman: Draenor has lots of shamanism and now we'll see how the orc clans did theirs and how it compares to ours.
    2. Hunter: Draenor has been described as a very savage world. Hunters thrive in such environments.
    3. Paladin: They said there would be some paladin lore and that Blood elves would also be involved at Blizzcon
    4. Warrior: There will be War in this expansion, warlords and such.
    5. Warlocks: Gul'dan is out there, Kil'jaeden is on the phone with him. Some demon stuff is gonna happen.

10+ Year Old Account
    Monks would be last for me. I love mine, but he's always seemed way out of left field when compared to the other classes. I can be a bit of a lore junkie and honestly, I sometimes find myself thinking I want to get back on my Shaman or Lock because of their history with the Warcraft universe.

10+ Year Old Account
    Paladins and Priests have lore potential through the connection to the light via the Naaru and the Draenei. Getting to explore the Draenei uses of the Light will definitely be interesting for these two classes. So there is lore there.

Hunters will be more subtle, under the way that the hunters of each race hunt. However, we may always get to see the origins of Rexxar and the Mok'nathal. In there, we have lore potential.

All Warlock lore will center around one specific ass of the group: Gul'dan. He still looks evil, he still looks like he is channeling fel energy. So we could easily have areas where the demons take over via Gul'Dan summoning. This will be organic lore for sure.

Death Knights may get some lore but in a different way, via Teron Gorefiend. This may not happen at all, or it might be explored. This goes to the roots of the Death Knight, given how it was Ner'zhul who created them in the first place.

Druids I do not think will be getting much overarching lore in this one, they have had a good amount in the past and Draenor is more of the Shaman place. Now, the Orcish Shamans will have lots of lore to discover as the uncorrupted orcs utilize it heavily in lore. This will be where Shaman lore turns away from the sort of pairing it had in Cataclysm, where the Earthen Ring and the Cenarion Circle worked together.

Mages...Maybe. Spellcasters of magic can and may exist on the Draenei side. It is unknown if Jaina Proudmore will be involved heavily (probably though, she is queen of the orc-slayers). I suspect that we will get some details from the current Dalaran for sure.

Warriors...pfft. Sorry dudes but Warriors are the default class for every fist-waving dude. You'll be getting lots of lore through the main antagonists because if they arent warlocks or shamans, they will be warriors. So this isn't even a question of it.

Rogues...Maybe. Garona Halforcen. You never know.

And finally Monks....And thats it everyone!
    ---TransAwesome---
    A rainbow a day keeps the gloomies away.

Quote Originally Posted by lupii View Post
    (probably though, she is queen of the orc-shaggers)
    fixed that

10+ Year Old Account

Also, to all you other folks picking Paladin... What about Priests? c'mon! They are atleast tied up with paladins... I said it in a previous post... but... Yrel, Velen - Priests! hello?

You sir, are right - fixed!
    Death Knights would later become Death Knights...let me explain.

The guy that saw them be created was Ner'zhul. Ner'zhul later became the Lich King and created Arthas. What is the common thing between Arthas and the original DK?

Souls.

Specifically what happens to the soul after one becomes a DK. Arthas' soul was forfeited and bound eventually to the armour of the Lich King. He lost his soul when he obtained Frostmourne. Comparatively, the souls of the original acolytes were bound to armor, abandoning their bodies for stronger vessels...This actually draws a parallel to the Lich's.

To what we know about how a modern DK is made: A hero dies, they are resurrected, their soul gets put back into their body but under the control of the Lich King. They retain their personality to an extent, but still have that alternation due to the ressurection.

So we actually DO see the origins of the modern DK's here, because it is the same base process related to the soul. We essentially can get to see where Ner'zhul starts off at.
    ---TransAwesome---
    A rainbow a day keeps the gloomies away.

I think shamans have the most lore potential 'cuz of the orc description

Btw, don't expect to see Draenei shamans, there are not gonna be any (if WoD follows the lore that is).