Deleted

Switching speccs in SWTOR, how does it work?

Heya all,

I am deciding which advanced class to pick, and this is crucial for me: does this game have something like dual-spec WoW has, or multiple roles in Rift?
    for example, I pick Jedi Guardian, who can tank or dps, can I switch between tanking role and dps role with a click of a button (dps for quickly killing mobs while soloing, tank for fast dungeon queues...)

Or do I need to do some archaic shit vanilla/TBC style - going to class trainer, manually re-assigning skill points, placing abilities on action bars... each time I want to swap roles? In that case I won't bother and just roll pure dps class, like Jedi Sentinel or Gunslinger.

Thanks for replies!

Deleted
    You have to fly to the planet you started on, find the hidden class trainer that stands on the highest mountain, you need to do the secret handshake and then strafe around him 3 times anti-clockwise. Hope this helps.

You can buy the legacy field respec to reset your talents anywhere. There's no pre-set dual spec, however, so it is kind of annoying.
    A better way to think about Casual v Hardcore: https://www.mmo-champion.com/threads...asual-Hardcore

Quote Originally Posted by Horymir View Post
    Heya all,

I am deciding which advanced class to pick, and this is crucial for me: does this game have something like dual-spec WoW has, or multiple roles in Rift?
    for example, I pick Jedi Guardian, who can tank or dps, can I switch between tanking role and dps role with a click of a button (dps for quickly killing mobs while soloing, tank for fast dungeon queues...)

Or do I need to do some archaic shit vanilla/TBC style - going to class trainer, manually re-assigning skill points, placing abilities on action bars... each time I want to swap roles? In that case I won't bother and just roll pure dps class, like Jedi Sentinel or Gunslinger.

Thanks for replies!
    You can't switch advanced classes after you've chosen, and to respec into the 3 talents within the advanced class you'll either need to buy the legacy respec or go to the fleet and use the respec guy on the end of the class skills area.

Quote Originally Posted by Horymir View Post
    Or do I need to do some archaic shit vanilla/TBC style - going to class trainer, manually re-assigning skill points, placing abilities on action bars... each time I want to swap roles?Thanks for replies!
    No need to go to the class trainer if you buy the field respec. But the rest .. yes you'll have to do some archaic shit. Yes it's just as annoying as you remember it.

I am Murloc!
    10+ Year Old Account
    you can also set several interface layout and switch between interface layout in a click, which helps when you change stpec.
    but yeah, you have to replace point manually.

although you can change your spec in combat. we use that in some place when for example, a DPS would respec to a healer of vice versa depending on the requirement of the fight.

Deleted
    Damn, thats super annoying. Oh well, Jedi Sentinel it is then! THanks for replies

Deleted
    If you don't get field respec it is a real PITA going back to fleet or home planet to reset your talents, if you have field respec that part isn't a problem. Once you've done it a couple of times it only takes seconds to re-spend your talent points so that part isn't a problem.
    As Vankrys said you can save multiple interface layouts and you can change that within seconds also, so your different abilities for each spec are available quite quickly.

All in all if you get field respec you can change spec within a minute or so without too much hassle and it will not seem too much of a bind. That said having companions, in my opinion, reduces the need for dual spec. You can rinse through mobs pretty quickly in tank spec with your DPS comp, swap to your healing comp for boss fights etc.

Quote Originally Posted by Vankrys View Post
    you can also set several interface layout and switch between interface layout in a click, which helps when you change stpec.
    but yeah, you have to replace point manually.

although you can change your spec in combat. we use that in some place when for example, a DPS would respec to a healer of vice versa depending on the requirement of the fight.
    Wait this works? (with it saving the abilities to the hot bars? And really keeping them there between respecs)

I've found it really annoying having to move abilities around respeccing as much as I do.

I am Murloc!
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Lagmonster View Post
    Wait this works? (with it saving the abilities to the hot bars? And really keeping them there between respecs)

I've found it really annoying having to move abilities around respeccing as much as I do.
    not exactly, when you respec, you lose ability and other are placed in the first available action bar in leaning order.
    so yes, it almost works perfectly, you would have to place the 1-2 ability you learned from talent correctly, that all.

you can set so that some action bar are visible or not in the set up. For instance i use action bar 1-2 for a given spec and action bar 3-4 for another spec. Action bar 5-6 are common to both. so with a single click you get your UI exactly how you want it for you want it for the spec minus a couple of spell you learned from talent.

you still have to change your equipment manually though.

10+ Year Old Account
    I am surprised this has not been added yet. You would think it would be higher on their priority list.
    Sir Robin, the Not-Quite-So-Brave-As-Sir-Lancelot.
    Who had nearly fought the Dragon of Angnor.
    Who had almost stood up to the vicious Chicken of Bristol.
    And who had personally wet himself, at the Battle of Badon Hill.

Quote Originally Posted by SirRobin View Post
    I am surprised this has not been added yet. You would think it would be higher on their priority list.
    Find Bioware a way to make money from the CM out of such a feature and it will be added straight away ;-)

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Pourekos View Post
    Find Bioware a way to make money from the CM out of such a feature and it will be added straight away ;-)
    Just have each swap cost cartel coins for freemiums but free for subscribers.
    Sir Robin, the Not-Quite-So-Brave-As-Sir-Lancelot.
    Who had nearly fought the Dragon of Angnor.
    Who had almost stood up to the vicious Chicken of Bristol.
    And who had personally wet himself, at the Battle of Badon Hill.

The Unstoppable Force Orange Joe's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by SirRobin View Post
    Just have each swap cost cartel coins for freemiums but free for subscribers.

Each spec slot can cost cartel points too :P

Quote Originally Posted by Lagmonster View Post

it sort of works, what I try and do is the talents you get are typically 3 active talents. Thus I try and keep my key binds to those 3 spots on the toon. Thus I have my interupt in the same spot, etc...

and while it is slightly annoying, once you get your respec down, and know what spec and where your talents are, etc... it really only takes about 10 secs to respec.