View Poll Results: Nickelback bigger than Elvis?

Voters
276. This poll is closed
  • Yes

49 17.75%
  • No

227 82.25%
Page 10 of 11 FirstFirst ...
LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Afrospinach View Post
    It really just blows my mind how popular elvis is. I am surprised that artists today are not routinely passing him with unprecedented market size and access, but I think I said this before they will not leave the legacy even if they hit the record sales.
    I'm with you with the elvis part, but still, the guy had some quality and true iconic style, and been popular for some good reasons in his own time, but nickleback? ok now the question is, why nickleback? this question of OP is so, I dunno, incomprehensible?

Quote Originally Posted by Charge me Doctor View Post
    Sometimes it's shocking how i moved from 50 cent to Linking Park to Foo Fighters to Muse to Shakira to Anal Nosorog to Children of Bodom to Dimmu Borgir to Toe to Pentatonix.

Reminder: it's not complete and only list of bands that i do like/liked in past
    Sounds disturbing rather than shocking, spcly your comeback back after DimmuB
    Last edited by Akakishin; 2014-12-23 at 11:06 AM.
    green is the color!

I like Nickleback but they are just one of many good bands. Elvis was and still is a legend, sorry to say but Nickleback will never be even remotely close to how big Elvis was.

15+ Year Old Account
    Never heard of Nickelback.

Nickelback still exists? Wow.

I can't say I'm a fan. They've released...maybe one or two songs that I actually like. I think that's about it.

15+ Year Old Account
    I came here thinking this is a Salandrin thread... as for those that voted yes either stop joking or get yourself checked in a clinic for mental help.
    - Vanilla was legitimately bad; we just didn't know any better at the time - SirCowDog

The Unstoppable Force Kelimbror's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    This thread makes me physically ill. I don't think any thread has ever done this before. Hearing Nickelback in ambient noise has exactly one positive result: it reminds me of those 'Creed Shreds' videos that are so accurate and comical. They might as well make a Nickelback Shreds series. They could even use the same music, wouldn't make a difference.

To answer the question, Rebecca Black has more musical relevance than Nickelback ever will. That's possibly the worst thing I could ever say.
    BAD WOLF

Quote Originally Posted by Gothicshark View Post
    Of the films you listed:

Sure all great films, but nothing about them is memorable enough to make it past the primary viewing generation.
    They have made it past the primary viewing generation. Even cross culturally.

M was made 1931 is on every serious review of film since the 1950s. Even in the 30s it was seen and written about in high reference and regard.

Wild Strawberries was made in late 50s. Like 1956 or something. Highly, highly regarded. Annie Hall still inspires parody, fashion, books, magazines, films and music- it is also regarded as a masterpiece by every serious review since release.

To not know of these films would simply be to not know of films. The same as with music- I have a girlfriend and a slew of friends that honestly do not know who Jimi Hendrick was or even recognize a song. People that investigate music are more likely to- as with the films like Annie Hall or M.

It is "populist" mistake to think that innovation is paramount in the arts. When what is paramount is actually creativity in the arts. Uniqueness doesn't really mean a whole lot.

10+ Year Old Account
    Leftcoast 2 blocks from the beach, down the street from a green haze called Venice.
    Quote Originally Posted by Stop Pretending View Post
    Lets be real here for a second. None of you actually hate Nickelback. You just claim to because doing so makes you hip.
    honestly, couldn't name a song of theirs if I heard it. Nor do I care, most of what I know about them is from reading, as my name implies I listen to Gothic Music. Not a fan of Elvis either, but at least I know his music by sound. Like I said before a band is remembered if 3 separate generations are aware of their music by sound.

Elvis passed that test, Nickelback never will.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Wildtree View Post

Now what defines a true iconic artist?
    Doing something worth being remembered for.

Elvis most popular rocker of the first generation of Rock and Roll.
    Beatles First globally successful Rock Band.
    Led Zeppelin grand father of Heavy metal, has a song considered the perfect rock song.
    Blacksabbath first Shock rock band to claim Evil status intentionally
    Nickelback?
    Quote Originally Posted by wikipedia
    Reception
    Review aggregator Metacritic reports that four of their six most recent studio albums since becoming a mainstream act, The Long Road, All the Right Reasons, Dark Horse, and Here and Now, have scores of 62, 41, 49, and 51, respectively, out of 100.

AllMusic reviewer Liana Jones complimented Nickelback after their commercial breakthrough, Silver Side Up; "what gives the group an upper hand over its peers is intensity and raw passion... Nickelback ups the ante by offering realistic storytelling that listeners can relate to."Following their 2008 album, Dark Horse, ChartAttack credited the band's success to knowing their target audience: "Chad Kroeger is a genius because he knows exactly what people want and precisely how far he can go. He turned out an extremely racy album that's loaded with songs about gettin' drunk and doin' it all without breaking any taboos, and with enough love and moral authority to grease its passage into the mainstream. Rejoice, North America. This is your world." Billboard gave praise to the band: "The bulletproof Nickelback provides affordable fun that promises good returns in hard times." Various fellow musicians like Chris Martin of Coldplay as well as R&B singers Timbaland and Keyshia Cole support the band.

The band has been criticized due to their over-use of themes involving "strippers, sex, prostitutes, drugs, sex, drinking and sex", and for being derivative in the music they create, too often sticking to formula and being repetitive instead of innovative. In November 2011, users of the music-oriented dating site Tastebuds.fm voted Nickelback as the number one musical turnoff, edging out Justin Bieber and Lady Gaga. In May 2013, the readers of Rolling Stone magazine named Nickelback the second worst band of the 1990s, behind only Creed.
    They are an average band, with some popularity, with a lot of "meh" reviews.

Nickelback is already better than Elvis.

Unfortunately people getting on the "lol lets hate nickelback cause its cool too" bandwagon.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Led ++ View Post
    Since when is Nickalback big? Oh you teenagers.
    Throughout the early 2000's where most people that enjoyed them are now in their 20's/30's

Quote Originally Posted by Cerus View Post
    LMAO - NB isn't even in the same league as Elvis - not even in the same universe of leagues. He's been dead 37 years and his stuff still sells like hotcakes.
    Couldn't have said it better. There are Icons which no one will never ever reach:

Solo artists: Elvis, Michael Jackson
    Band: Beatles

That doesn't mean there are no excellent and brilliant solo artists or bands out there, but it demands respect to produce (back in the day) and still sell so many songs long after they have died or split up.

10+ Year Old Account
    Leftcoast 2 blocks from the beach, down the street from a green haze called Venice.
    Quote Originally Posted by Tavin View Post
    Bigger than Elvis? No.

Most hated band ever? Very likely.
    Doubtful.

Honestly I can name a few bands and artists that actually generated a whole lot more hate.

Maroon 5, Metallica, (any boy band ever), U2, Insane Clown Posse (fans are actually listed as a terrorist group by the FBI), Madonna, Michael Jackson, GG Allin, Eminem, Axl Rose, Marilyn Manson, , Taylor Swift, The Judds, Dixie Chicks, and many others.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Fencers View Post
    They have made it past the primary viewing generation. Even cross culturally.

M was made 1931 is on every serious review of film since the 1950s. Even in the 30s it was seen and written about in high reference and regard.

Wild Strawberries was made in late 50s. Like 1956 or something. Highly, highly regarded. Annie Hall still inspires parody, fashion, books, magazines, films and music- it is also regarded as a masterpiece by every serious review since release.

To not know of these films would simply be to not know of films. The same as with music- I have a girlfriend and a slew of friends that honestly do not know who Jimi Hendrick was or even recognize a song. People that investigate music are more likely to- as with the films like Annie Hall or M.

It is "populist" mistake to think that innovation is paramount in the arts. When what is paramount is actually creativity in the arts. Uniqueness doesn't really mean a whole lot.

I said they are great films, and they are studied by film students and critics, but as a remembered film by the majority of the population they are unknown. As a random person on the street about Oz, ask them about M. People will know Oz they wont know M.

This is like Classical music, most know the name of Mozart and Beethoven, but how many will recognize Frédéric Chopin, Tchaikovsky

They might know a song or two but they wont know who did them. I love 'Night on Bald mountain', but how many know of Mussorgsky?

Music, Film, literature, and other forums of art, might have people who study them, and the people who study art will know Van Gogh from Edvard Munch, most will just recognize 'The Scream' and 'A Stary Night'. Sadly this is just how humans work we have only so much space to learn, and most avoid art history, which includes music. So only the Popular and stand out are truly remembered.

nickelwho?

havent heard them mentioned anywhere since like 10 years ago, in my teen years. did u mean are they similar to Elvis because both of them are dead? if so then my answer is yes.

Quote Originally Posted by Endonyx View Post
    I came here thinking this is a Salandrin thread... as for those that voted yes either stop joking or get yourself checked in a clinic for mental help.
    It's the same kind of poster. But they generate traffic, traffic = add views and that = money... and who doesn't like money!?.

I seriously doubt NB will be selling millions of cd's in 20-30 years, unlike the iconic solo artists and bands. NB hasnt even passed Britney Spears or the Spice girls, neither of which are at 100m yet, in album sales and most likely wont for a long time.

They arent even the biggest selling band of the 2000s, Ill give you "1" guess who was the biggest selling band. Thats right, the Beatles.

This isnt to say the band isnt talented or well liked, but they arent on the same level of the legit icons.

Quote Originally Posted by Gsara View Post
    I seriously doubt NB will be selling millions of cd's in 20-30 years, unlike the iconic solo artists and bands. NB hasnt even passed Britney Spears or the Spice girls, neither of which are at 100m yet, in album sales and most likely wont for a long time.

They arent even the biggest selling band of the 2000s, Ill give you "1" guess who was the biggest selling band. Thats right, the Beatles.

This isnt to say the band isnt talented or well liked, but they arent on the same level of the legit icons.
    Nickelback is simply here to make money. They can appeal to tone deaf teenagers and giant doucher young adults. Both demographics seem to have plenty of disposable income (parents' income).
    『Fun Removed by DPRK 』

15+ Year Old Account
    For the people stating that some people are just jumping the NB hate train to look cool, have you even listened too 1 full song of that band? In the work branch im in the radio is on allmost everywhere i walk but once i hear them i either turn the radio volume lower or turn the radio off or turn around and walk the other way, if i want to hear someone sing like hes sitting on the toilet doing a number 2 or like he has a fist up his ass i might aswell go to the toilet myself and start singing while doing a number 2.
    - Vanilla was legitimately bad; we just didn't know any better at the time - SirCowDog

For the people stating that some people are just jumping the NB hate train to look cool, have you even listened too 1 full song of that band? In the work branch im in the radio is on allmost everywhere i walk but once i hear them i either turn the radio volume lower or turn the radio off or turn around and walk the other way, if i want to hear someone sing like hes sitting on the toilet doing a number 2 or like he has a fist up his ass i might aswell go to the toilet myself and start singing while doing a number 2.
    They should sing more like the dutch.
    『Fun Removed by DPRK 』

Because music taste isn't entirely subjective or anything.

I generally laugh if I am listening to Nickelback and someone says "wow that music is shit" then proceeds to put on some god awful Rap or Pop music. I tell them how can they judge someone else's taste then play a song from Dr. Dre or one of those other equally talentless hacks..

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Tyderi View Post
    They should sing more like the dutch.
    Or sing like black pete.

I would like to point out that Nickelback isn't even number 1 in it's own music genre let alone in music in general. Nor are they as famous as some people make them out to be. Before even thinking if Nickelback can grow bigger than Elvis, it would be better if you picked out an artist/band that is at least in the top 5 of it's own genre to start.