Thread: Tanking Halion

Tanking Halion

Are tankadins out there using their heavy mitigation gear for tanking Halion or the avoidance gear available in ICC? Share your thoughts/opinions.

I'm still stacking as much stamina as possible during Halion. I'm always the Twilight realm tank and he hits me (almost all icc25 gear on my tank offspec) for 12-15k white swings.

I tried tanking it with a mix of ICC10 and a few higher ilvl items and a couple of lower ilvl items. Had no problems staying alive.
    Quote Originally Posted by Chocolatinia View Post
    Deathwing begins to explode as he explodes

thanks for the replies I didnt think he was too hard to tank either, more of an organisation fight

Deleted
    the difficulty is more in rotating him during twilight phase in such a way that he does not breathe, cleave or tailswipe the raid while still leaving enough room for the DPS and healers.. on 10man, a breath on a raid member is not that much of a problem, but it could be different on 25man. i tanked him on 10man and i was having a bit of problems in moving him in such a way that i hug the beam, yet don't walk IN the beam. i ended up usually just tanking him with his sides towards the beam, mostly because i couldn't tank him right in the center (he always moves a bit when i pull to tank him).

Deleted
    This fight can be somewhat compared to Sindragosa for a tank (heroic version atleast) the difference being iirc that the melee hits are a tad bit higher, and the breath a tad bit lower, therefor you should be wearing your bonus armor set.

Well as some1 allready mention the gear doesnt matter that much as how you organise the fight and how ppl react on orbs how tank possition the boss etc etc especially in 25 man heroic

Due to the fact that large swathes of the damage taken is magic, avoidance gear is pants, and armour gear is subpar.

Full stamina for Halion.

Was tanking him on 25 man with my standard mix of stamina gear with bonus armor (IE: pillars over heroic 25 man marrowgar legs) and we had some melee die on the transition (don't ask me how) and because the range didn't understand how the buff worked he actually started to hurt a lot. And this was melee attacks only (I tank the twilight realm). The breath actually was a nice break in between the face breaking melee swings.

WARRIOR / PALLY / DK which tank combo is best for this?
    I'm a paladin do I look op?
    there goes another retorical question

I have only done this on 10man normal so far, but from my perspective the dmg on the tank only becomes problematic if you go below or above 40%/60% corporeality.

Quote Originally Posted by Larsik View Post
    WARRIOR / PALLY / DK which tank combo is best for this?
    Doesn't matter really.
    Get the player with the best mob positioning in the twilight realm and you're set

I opted to wear a lot of the 264 armor pieces (Frost Emblem cloak and belt, Pillars of Might, Gargoyle Spit Bracers) over 277 options for this fight. The breath does not hit that hard and the most dangerous death damage would come from a parry spike.

Dragons = Stamina almost always, the breaths wich is the hardest hitting ability are pure magic and won't be mitigated by avoidance, so is the aura, so I'll go stamina for almost every dragon

From the Twilight Realm parse of our first heroic kill my average melee swing taken was ~25.3k and the average Dark Breath was ~23.2k though I blocked 75% of his attacks at an average of ~22.3k. Like I said, your most dangerous spike isn't going to be the breath; it's going to be parry hasted attacks. When gearing I hardly even considered the breath, although if I was still a Leatherworker, I would have used the wrist enchant to break the next resist threshold.