"New" idea for current teir loot system

After reading a lot of posts about loot systems, RNG, and low drop rates, I was thinking about how to design a new loot system that would allow people to choose their own destiny for gearing. Here is what I came up with.

1. Remove the loot tables from bosses, instead of gear dropping from Raid bosses, each boss will drop some kind of item that designates that that boss was killed. Something like a claw from Magmaw, etc.....
    2. Each item can be redeemed from an epic vendor in which the person would have to complete a relevant quest line that ties into that boss to get to.
    3. The vendor will display the revelant gear items available to that player.
    4. Each gear item will take one token + some amount of gold to craft. The gold will be used as an offset to how "rare" the item is and represents the difficulty of making the item. For High drop rates 100 gold, Medium 200, Low, 500 gold.
    5. If no gear is needed, the item can be vendored for an average of the gold cost of the available items.
    6. Tie in the guild system by allowing guild funds to pay the vendor for crafting the item.

The biggest benefit will be that gear distribution can be made linear. Loot systems would only have to take into account who needs an item. Raid boss farming can be cut down significantly as anyone can benefit from killing the raid boss for each kill. It also ties in a more solid and craftable quest lines that are revelant to the current content placing more emphasis on story.

Any thoughts?

wasnt something some what similar to this implimented for SWP?

gear dropped as well but there were tokens where you could "change" a piece of gear for something relevent to your spec.

So...hundreds of gold to get the item I already won from killing the boss and then beating 9/24 people in a random /roll....

Throw in the fact that alot of items are named from the boss that drops them or are a part of lore that only a certain boss should be dropping. Like the Hammer of Twilight off of Halfus? Dont think so. Sounds like you havnt been getting the loot you need but look at it this way, if you get all the gear you need from the get go, as does the rest of the raid, wtf is the point of raiding anymore at that point? The current carrot on a stick design keeps people raiding in hopes of getting the gear they need, and quite frankly gear is what runs this game.

10+ Year Old Account
    itd make raiding seem more like a job than it already is, and itd make it so only rich people CAN get gear

plus if it was one item that could be redeemed for any spec/item then one person could become fully geared in one clean sweep of raids

also....what would be the point of doing different bosses? besides chances at more gear....you could throw progression out the window....if im understanding you correctly.

EDIT: ahh nvm i think i understand what you were saying....like each boss has a unique token that can be traded in for the gear that would have dropped from their "loot table"
    Last edited by Desminn; 2011-05-02 at 09:07 PM.

That is exactly what I was trying to say. Every boss would require a different epic vendor that can only be obtained from completing a quest chain. As far as only the rich being able to afford it, would you rather farm 500 gold or kill the same boss literally 20 times and not get the drop? I personally have been waiting on the halfus and double dragon drops but I am geared enough that I am not at all needing the gear to clear the current non heroic teir.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Desminn View Post
    also....what would be the point of doing different bosses? besides chances at more gear....you could throw progression out the window....if im understanding you correctly.

EDIT: ahh nvm i think i understand what you were saying....like each boss has a unique token that can be traded in for the gear that would have dropped from their "loot table"
    to clarify what he meant; the boss keeps all his gear, but drops a token. with this token you can buy any of the pieces the boss would've dropped efficiently taking out the random drop-aspect from bosses.

Tbh taking the random part out of the gear drop isnt the worst idea, sure it have some disatvantages towards the lore, but so does the current system (a boss not dropping a weapon we clearly see him use in the fight doesnt make much sense either hehe), and sometimes when you get the important pieces like legendary shards (or similar ) or op trinkets that some high end progress guilds just gets extremely unlucky with, wich in the end might hurt their progress abit, that must feel abit hard

Personally i prefer something near the system as it is today cause I kind of like the excitement of "omg hope this or that drops today" and deep inside i even like to cry when it dont Tough i still feel some bosses on 10 man should drop more loot to make it the same as 25 man (just to make it the same)

But the token system, for a guild it would be great, but for a pug it would be murder, everyone could roll on everything and sell, sell, sell would be just all over

Quote Originally Posted by Dameondark View Post
    After reading a lot of posts about loot systems, RNG, and low drop rates, I was thinking about how to design a new loot system that would allow people to choose their own destiny for gearing. Here is what I came up with.

1. Remove the loot tables from bosses, instead of gear dropping from Raid bosses, each boss will drop some kind of item that designates that that boss was killed. Something like a claw from Magmaw, etc.....
    2. Each item can be redeemed from an epic vendor in which the person would have to complete a relevant quest line that ties into that boss to get to.
    3. The vendor will display the revelant gear items available to that player.
    4. Each gear item will take one token + some amount of gold to craft. The gold will be used as an offset to how "rare" the item is and represents the difficulty of making the item. For High drop rates 100 gold, Medium 200, Low, 500 gold.
    5. If no gear is needed, the item can be vendored for an average of the gold cost of the available items.
    6. Tie in the guild system by allowing guild funds to pay the vendor for crafting the item.

The biggest benefit will be that gear distribution can be made linear. Loot systems would only have to take into account who needs an item. Raid boss farming can be cut down significantly as anyone can benefit from killing the raid boss for each kill. It also ties in a more solid and craftable quest lines that are revelant to the current content placing more emphasis on story.

Any thoughts?
    That's a really, really good idea m8

Loot rng sucks and can really be nasty for some ppl. Both raids I run in have killed Atramedes 35 times between the 2 runs and we have never seen the spirit bracers so the priest are stuck in a holding pattern waiting for them months into the run. However if we switched to the system you are talking about with in a few kills of a boss nobody would need loot from them at all causing ppl to skip as many bosses as they could or loot motivated raiders to get what they want a few runs in and vanish.
    "Privilege is invisible to those who have it."