Page 1 of 3
LastLast

Flask, mats more expensive than the actual flasks

Alright

I'm not wether this is just on my server or on a global scale

But i just spend 4000g on power leveling alchemy to 525, just to find out that all flasks sells for about 50% less than the actual mats used

Anyone else experiencing anything similar?

Also, can anyone suggest another way to make money with Alchemy than flasks?

I wouldn't know, I took Herbalism so every flask I sell is pure profit. Making 200g+ for nothing is a nice profit. Just last night I made about 950g selling flasks, and looking forward to making more tonight.

Deleted
    Go transmute. Make a trugeold every CD and make inferno rubies and other rare gems if raw mats are worth using. Be a transmution master also. You will have to be lucky to get a truegold proc but rare gem procs were quite common for me.
    Flasks are not very profitable on my realm too.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Nytz View Post
    Alright

But i just spend 4000g on power leveling alchemy to 525, just to find out that all flasks sells for about 50% less than the actual mats used

I believe that's why people farm for the mats themselves.

Herbalism is an alchemist's best friend.

They're also changing the requirements to 8 herbs instead of 12 (of each) for the flasks.
    Like the Draconic Mind flask will be 8 twilight jasmine and 8 azshara's veil and i believe 8 volatile life as well.

Quote Originally Posted by CaptainArlong View Post
    Making 200g+ for nothing is a nice profit.
    the fact that you spend time herbing, implies that you did more than "nothing" to earb the 200g profit

Deleted
    Also if you are transmuting, check volatile prices. On my realm volatile life is around 5g each, but I get ton of those while herbing, while volatile air are 40-50 g. So I transmute volatile life to volatile air for pure profit

10+ Year Old Account
    Transmute volatile elements. Life sells for ~9g on my server. Air for ~29g. Every 4 hours I roughly triple my earnings on that alone. Also, sell the herbs. I've made more gold than I know what to do with farming and selling herbs between raids and dungeons.

I wouldn't know, I took Herbalism so every flask I sell is pure profit. Making 200g+ for nothing is a nice profit. Just last night I made about 950g selling flasks, and looking forward to making more tonight.
    These people just boggle my mind. Just because you have herbalism does not make mats free. Lets say flask cost 1 stack of flowers for simplicity. And 1 stacks of flowers sells for 300g while flasks sell for 150g. So you herb the stack make a flask and "MAKE" 150g with your alch.....

NO you just made 300 with your herbalism and lost 150 with your alchemy... This misconception is amazing.

same on my server for some flasks. look to see if its like that for all. the 300int flask generally goes for 2x the cost of the others because it requires azsharas veil which is only "farmable" in vash, arguably the least visited zone. even still if you have to buy all of your herbs at ah cost you're never gonna make anything that approaches a profit. If you're elixir spec it's not too painful to pay a 1:1 ratio mats to flask, because in the long run with procs you will turn a considerable profit

As an herbalist it still costs you something. That something is your time. And time is money, my friend! (and I know you just used the goblin voice in your head!) Not that what you're doing is wrong, you're making good money. But if the herbs are selling for more than the flask they create, selling the herbs would be the better use of your time (money) and increase profits. A lot of the production professions right now have their markets flooded and demand for the materials greatly outweighs the products.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Gnomity View Post
    Transmute volatile elements. Life sells for ~9g on my server. Air for ~29g. Every 4 hours I roughly triple my earnings on that alone. Also, sell the herbs. I've made more gold than I know what to do with farming and selling herbs between raids and dungeons.
    Air goes for 50g on my realm.

Quote Originally Posted by Nytz View Post
    Alright

Fields of application at work. Herbs can be used for Alchemy and Inscription. Likewise, ore can be used for Blacksmithing and Jewelcrafting. Leathers generally go for less than the completed project because they have less fields of application.

If you're looking for money, you could sell the vial of the sands mount.

There are a few reasons I can think of Nytz:
    1) we're still in the gathering-is-king phase (typical for post-expansion periods), which leads to
    2) many people powerleveling profs selling for a loss just to recoup some of the cost
    3) flask demand is realtively low now as well, when the masses can kill content demand will rise (couple that with the decrease in mat cost as more and more farmer enter the market)

As noted by others, Xmutes should remain tasty, as always!

Deleted
    Mats are ~350g, flasks are 300g. Mats for 10 flasks is ~3500g, getting 16 flasks due to procs is worth 4800g. Profit made, 1300g.

Quote Originally Posted by Deathfairy View Post
    These people just boggle my mind. Just because you have herbalism does not make mats free. Lets say flask cost 1 stack of flowers for simplicity. And 1 stacks of flowers sells for 300g while flasks sell for 150g. So you herb the stack make a flask and "MAKE" 150g with your alch.....

NO you just made 300 with your herbalism and lost 150 with your alchemy... This misconception is amazing.
    You are correct. You are almost always better off selling raw mats (mining, leather, herbs) than you are crafting with them unless you have a recipe that ultra rare/desirable...

Quote Originally Posted by Posttrauma View Post
    You are correct. You are almost always better off selling raw mats (mining, leather, herbs) than you are crafting with them unless you have a recipe that ultra rare/desirable...
    This is not 100% accurate, a few months down the road anything I would consider a core raider item (flasks/foods/enchants) will sell for higher profits than the raw mats. That is assuming you can find good prices and trend along with the AH.

Just in case, what I mend by trending with the AH is the tendency of selling goods on typical raid nights (Tues/Wed/Thurs) and replenishing your mat stocks on the weekend.

Quote Originally Posted by Smoothe View Post
    There are a few reasons I can think of Nytz:
    1) we're still in the gathering-is-king phase (typical for post-expansion periods), which leads to
    2) many people powerleveling profs selling for a loss just to recoup some of the cost
    3) flask demand is realtively low now as well, when the masses can kill content demand will rise (couple that with the decrease in mat cost as more and more farmer enter the market)
    4) Many people are mass producing flasks to unlock cauldrons for their guilds, and then dump all those flasks on the market below mat cost just to get some of their money back. Since prices are bound to fall (especially when 4.0.6 comes live and the mat requirements bevome lower), it doesn't make sense to just sit on those flasks and wait for demand to rise.

Quote Originally Posted by Hybr1d View Post
    Mats are ~350g, flasks are 300g. Mats for 10 flasks is ~3500g, getting 16 flasks due to procs is worth 4800g. Profit made, 1300g.
    Yeah right, because you have 60% procs on average... Not.

Also, what Deathfairy said.

Raw materials offer a skillup opportunity, so always have a value that a crafted item will not, particularly if it is something many others can craft, and therefore due to competition driving the price down further.
    Herbs and Ores in particularly not only have demand for a number of crafting professions, but also due to processing can be turned into other materials, sometimes offering further skilling up.

Firstly, if you farm herbs and make flasks to sell, you are an idiot. Potential profit dictates that you could sell those herbs for 50% more gold. If you REALLY want flasks, just sell the herbs and buy the flasks. You are losing gold by farming herbs for flasks.

Potion master is the most profitable atm, in my eyes. Unless you have 5+ Alchemists, Xmute isn't worth it imo. With potions, you make 10-15g profit per pot. I move about 200-300 pots per day on a good day, bringing my profit to 2-3k at a minimum (And I'm not buying from farmers or anything, so you could potentially make more profit). Ofc, it's all server dependant, but I assume other servers are similar.