Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst
    This thread is lol...

The questions are indeed not enough to prove one's intelligence. I think one of those online psychometric tests would've been a lot better to test intelligence.

Quote Originally Posted by mludd View Post
    Also, 81^(1/2) shouldn't be hard for anyone over the age of 12, when I was that age I had already been forced to memorize the multiplication tables for n*1 to n*10 for n = 1,2,3,4,5,6,7,8,9,10.
    Forgive me for saying this and no offense to anyone, but... after seeing the test results for question 1, I believe its fair to assume that even less people will actually know that the "square root of 81" and "81 to the power of a half" means the same thing.
    Last edited by zsun; 2011-02-09 at 11:45 AM.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by KieranM17 View Post
    World War 2 didn't end in 1945...Legally in Britain, it was at 4pm, 9th July 1951. That was when the Queen decided the state of war was officially over, as stated in Halsbury's Laws of England. It was 1945 when Germany surrendered to the Allies, however Italy, Romania, Bulgaria, Hungary and Finland didn't surrender until much later, on 15th September 1947. Austria surrendered the day after, while Japan kept going until 8th September 1951. Therefore, the state of war was only rescinded six years after most people think the war ended.

http://www.qi.com/talk/viewtopic.php?t=16143
    The major belligerents in WWII all ceased hostilities in 1945, that's why the war ended that year.

Japan surrendered on 1945-08-14 and was technically occupied by the allied powers until 1951-09-08 when the San Francisco Peace Treaty was signed, thus formally ending the occupation.

There are similar issues with the other dates you listed...

1st: Easy
    2nd: Never heard it before, had to think like 3 seconds.
    3rd: Dah. Who does not know this?

10+ Year Old Account
    prolly 2/3, as i read the answer of the genies by accident, so I can't give myself points for that, although anyone that thinks a sec should know that. If WWII 1940-1945 is incorrect as well, then it is just 1/3 for me:P. But that is how long it was in Holland. So i count it correct.

10+ Year Old Account
    I'm happy to see that 3/4 of the participants had at least one of the questions correct. Which leaves us with only roughly 25% of players that are either not old enough to know math or just don't bother with it and can't wrap their minds around the genie-creative-thinking question and have little historical knowledge about European wars. The last question is totally situational on top of it. Like someone already said... I wouldn't know any war dates of the US either. Being German, I know my WW durations however.

Around 75% of the players are halfway intelligent! Hooray, that's more than I expected.

Quote Originally Posted by Szemere View Post
    prolly 2/3, as i read the answer of the genies by accident. If WWII 1940-1945 is incorrect as well, then it is just 1/3 for me:P. But that is how long it was in Holland. So i count it correct.
    Well "WWII" was from 1939-1945 so I guess if one had to be strict it would be considered wrong. Even though the Netherlands and multiple other countries weren't included from the beginning (mean Germans not wanting to play with us =() it doesn't make the war shorter, sadly :P

I have to wonder how many of the 0/3 were Blizzard employees.

This might not be all that bullet-proof as the OP wanted it to be, but it still gives a certain image.

I mean, the questions were retardedly easy and still so many fail. If you fail on any of those questions (this is for all you crying that it's not valid, stupid questions, not a good representation, ...) you shouldn't be in my random heroics.

I said it before and I'll say it again: make servers with an IQ-check before you can make a char there.

Also I'll end this post with a quote from an American:
    "The problem with America is stupidity. I'm not saying there should be a capital punishment for stupidity, but why don't we just take the safety labels off of everything and let the problem solve itself?"

Quote Originally Posted by Pozz View Post

I'm pretty sure the definition of "history" includes having people involved >_>
    Only if you believe the old testament. There can of course be history without people.

History: The branch of knowledge that records and analyzes past events

So... the results are a simplified bell-curve.

New and interesting?

I'll be interested when they do a comparative analysis between the different factions of the WoW community - that is, simplified, the Raiders, Casuals and PvPers.
    All that study shows is that WoW players are human.

Quote Originally Posted by KieranM17 View Post
    World War 2 didn't end in 1945...Legally in Britain, it was at 4pm, 9th July 1951. That was when the Queen decided the state of war was officially over, as stated in Halsbury's Laws of England. It was 1945 when Germany surrendered to the Allies, however Italy, Romania, Bulgaria, Hungary and Finland didn't surrender until much later, on 15th September 1947. Austria surrendered the day after, while Japan kept going until 8th September 1951. Therefore, the state of war was only rescinded six years after most people think the war ended.

http://www.qi.com/talk/viewtopic.php?t=16143
    You sir are fail.Stop listening to people who have no idea what a war is all about(Politics/Technicalities is what kills many people these days). First of all Japan surrendered on the 2nd of September 1945 after eating 2 atomic bombs from the Americans and being invaded by the Russians. Romania(country I live in) actually turned on the germans around 1944 but due to Russians being prics was denied a winning seat at the negotiations table. As for 1947 that is when those states signing the peace treaties not when they surrendered or anything. Just like you mentioned in 1951 Japan signed the peace treaty that ended the war on paper but the actual fighting ended in 1945. Stop trying to confuse people.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Reucht View Post
    ...(this is for all you crying that it's not valid, stupid questions, not a good representation, ...)...
    The genie question is open-ended and thus does not have a single answer that can be called the only correct one. The other two should be laughably easy for anyone who has at least entered puberty though.

I posted the EU results in another thread, the resuts weren't that much of ''lol fail'', more like what you would expect them to be... but still... nice to compare.

Quote Originally Posted by Wezmon View Post
    Only if you believe the old testament. There can of course be history without people.

History: The branch of knowledge that records and analyzes past events
    History (from Greek ἱστορία - historia, meaning "inquiry, knowledge acquired by investigation"[2]) is the study of the human past.

I love how the EU one showed much better figures :-) But yes, 3 questions is still a rather vague way of determining a persons capacity for thought. For the people who state question 2 was too hard... It gives you the answer in the question really. Perhaps take the time to read it through?

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by hutchzilla View Post
    This only proves that 360 of the people playing an ONLINE game who took the test had the intelligence to use google....
    I dont use google to find the square root of 81. I use my grade 2 maths skillz

Quote Originally Posted by Lackluster View Post
    Logical thinking is the only one of those criteria that pertains to intelligence. SORRY BRO
    Also, I don't expect an American to know exactly when WWII took place, I for one don't know when their petty civil war was exactly, either.
    Is this serious?
    It is the mark of an educated mind to be able to entertain a thought without accepting it.
    Also, it's should HAVE. NOT "should of". "Should of" doesn't even make sense. If you think you should own a cat, do you say "I should of a cat" or "I should have a cat"? Do you HAVE cats, or do you OF cats?

Quote Originally Posted by Senox View Post
    I posted the EU results in another thread, the resuts weren't that much of ''lol fail'', more like what you would expect them to be... but still... nice to compare.
    I as an European find the history question very biased in favour of Europeans though.

---------- Post added 2011-02-09 at 01:17 PM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by scoobysnacks View Post
    I love how the EU one showed much better figures :-) But yes, 3 questions is still a rather vague way of determining a persons capacity for thought. For the people who state question 2 was too hard... It gives you the answer in the question really. Perhaps take the time to read it through?
    They're not complaining about it being hard, they're complaining about it being vaque, and being a question that has no specific correct answer but a whole lot of them.