Page 1 of 2
LastLast

Msi (1155) p67a-gd65 (b3) =(

This board was pretty and it was the first B3 stocked by Newegg
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16813130574

but it has a terribly high rate now of defective units. I of course received one or I wouldn't be posting. The only + I can name atm is that the product's feedback on Newegg is riddled with Manufacturer responses encouraging users to contact MSI directly.

Hope Asus people are having more luck.

- - -

The board boots and then continues rebooting. Everything fires up for about 2 seconds and then kicks off to a restart. It will do that as long as I let it (I never let it go more than 4 boots as it couldn't possibly benefit the computer). The only way to stop the power cycle is to cut power.

As I understand MSI's RMA policy (though I haven't heard from them myself as I submitted today and they aren't open on Saturday), I'll be paying shipping for a clear defect in the board's production.

10+ Year Old Account
    Keep in mind that, the normal customer who has a GOOD experience will typically not return to write a review. The ratio of 4/5 stars is MUCH higher than 1/2 stars as well.
    Intel Core i7 5820K @ 4.2GHz | Asus X99 Deluxe Motherboard | 16GB Crucial DDR4 2133 | MSI GTX 980 4G GAMING | Corsair HX750 Gold | 500GB Samsung 840 EVO

Quote Originally Posted by Saithes View Post
    Keep in mind that, the normal customer who has a GOOD experience will typically not return to write a review. The ratio of 4/5 stars is MUCH higher than 1/2 stars as well.
    I do always keep that in mind but Newegg also has several products at 80 or 90%+ 4-5 egg reviews. There's a few that have nothing but 5 egg reviews like the Palit gpu I'm using and the cheapy 1155 chipset biostar (LOL).

Most shoppers on newegg, I'd think, were probably waiting a few days for this to come back in stock so they might have been more likely to post a review, good or bad, because they were proud to finally get one.

You know there is some one else in this forum with the same Motehrboard can't get it to POST either...

I think they could just be junk

Quote Originally Posted by coldfiredragon View Post
    You know there is some one else in this forum with the same Motehrboard can't get it to POST either...

I think they could just be junk
    Pretty sure they are >_<.. I hope I can get my Money back, I do NOT want anymore MSI products after experiencing this!.. Hoping to get the http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...-702-_-Product as a replacement.

Quote Originally Posted by Laqweeta View Post
    Pretty sure they are >_<.. I hope I can get my Money back, I do NOT want anymore MSI products after experiencing this!.. Hoping to get the http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...-702-_-Product as a replacement.
    Personally since 98 I have not used anything except an Intel Desktop Board for builds I have done. I like them, they never let me down and they work. I would say look at http://www.intel.com/products/deskto...G-overview.htm

Pretty certain Newegg charges a 15% restocking fee and you 'have to' wait til it's refunded before you can purchase another, no credit to account or anything similar (or you know, you can just float the first cost of this mobo and spend other money while you wait on the refund).

Quote Originally Posted by Catering View Post
    Pretty certain Newegg charges a 15% restocking fee and you 'have to' wait til it's refunded before you can purchase another, no credit to account or anything similar (or you know, you can just float the first cost of this mobo and spend other money while you wait on the refund).
    So, would it be better to just get an RMA of the same board?? The problem I have with that is I have no idea how to connect the PSU cables to everything. I paid a Tech guy to do it for $105.. For nothing. Seeing as how the Board is defective.

wow you got ripped off major. That is like 500 dollars an hour for labor. it takes 20 minutes max to mount the board and hook up the cables even if you have to do research. (i know i had to check yesterday on how to hook my pus's two 4 pits together to make an 8 pin for the MB.) but i do recommend an asus board. the Instructions are great and show you every pin, and plug , what they look like and how to put them on.

Edit: ok well that does not count time setting up the managment and making sure it looks pretty, but i am working on that as i add thing, not to picky.

Quote Originally Posted by ajaxkiller View Post
    wow you got ripped off major. That is like 500 dollars an hour for labor. it takes 20 minutes max to mount the board and hook up the cables even if you have to do research. (i know i had to check yesterday on how to hook my pus's two 4 pits together to make an 8 pin for the MB.) but i do recommend an asus board. the Instructions are great and show you every pin, and plug , what they look like and how to put them on.

Edit: ok well that does not count time setting up the managment and making sure it looks pretty, but i am working on that as i add thing, not to picky.
    When I got the computer back from the Tech Guy.. The cable management was superb. I just wish I knew the Board was defective before letting him work on it! Could have saved some money >_<!

What memory are you running exactly? The manual specifies DDR3/240pin/1.5. Are they 1.5v? Lack of voltage to you memory could be the issue. if not:

Did you try the memory module suggestion?

Run only 1 module in DIMM_1 (first blue slot), and see if it posts.

If yes, run memtest. If it passes, test the 2nd module by itself in DIMM_1.

If both passed, seat the modules in DIMM_1 and DIMM_3 (the blue slots), and see if it posts again.

If yes, run memtest.
    Last edited by Dizey; 2011-03-13 at 01:19 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Dizey View Post
    Did you try the memory module suggestion?

Run only 1 module in DIMM_1 (first blue slot), and see if it posts.

If yes, seat the 2nd moduel in DIMM_3 (2nd blue slot), and see if it posts again.

If yes, run memtest.
    Yes, I have tried this. I have no way to run memtest either. Yes, they are 1.5v Everything is compatible.. It's the Mother board, I've got a defective unit.. What do you think I should do? Send it back and get a new one? Or get a Refund and go with an Asus P8P67?
    Last edited by Laqweeta; 2011-03-13 at 01:14 AM.

The Unstoppable Force DeltrusDisc's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Yeah I just got an Asus P8P67 mobo, I do suggest it.
    "A flower.
    Yes. Upon your return, I will gift you a beautiful flower."

"Remember. Remember... that we once lived..."

Quote Originally Posted by mmocd061d7bab8 View Post
    yeh but lava is just very hot water

I have a question... How far would a mobo boot without any ram in it? Enough to POST successfully? I hardly want to actually do anything with no RAM but in all my attempts at starting, I did try running with no ram after all other options were exhausted. Same exact thing happened.

Gogo gadget $1200 brick

It won't POST at all without memory. You'll probably just hear a beeping noise.

@Laqweeta, Yeah I would just suggest returning it for store credit and picking up one of the other options. The looping issue seems to the the common factor with all the NegEggs.

Quote Originally Posted by Dizey View Post
    It won't POST at all without memory. You'll probably just hear a beeping noise.

@Laqweeta, Yeah I would just suggest returning it for store credit and picking up one of the other options. The looping issue seems to the the common factor with all the NegEggs.
    I'm heavily thinking about getting that Sabertooth.. It's $219, But it can withstand such harsh environments.. Either that or the Asus P8P67 Pro. Not too sure yet, I'll pick one and order it by Wednesday. :P

10+ Year Old Account
    I'm heavily thinking about getting that Sabertooth.. It's $219, But it can withstand such harsh environments.. Either that or the Asus P8P67 Pro. Not too sure yet, I'll pick one and order it by Wednesday. :P
    It can withstand as much as any other board and not to mention the color scheme is hideous.
    Intel Core i7 5820K @ 4.2GHz | Asus X99 Deluxe Motherboard | 16GB Crucial DDR4 2133 | MSI GTX 980 4G GAMING | Corsair HX750 Gold | 500GB Samsung 840 EVO

It can withstand as much as any other board and not to mention the color scheme is hideous.
    xD.. I heard it can withstand tons of heat, Like.. where I live, It's gets to about 100 Degrees Fahrenheit,, Someone told me it does really well in types of weather like that

10+ Year Old Account
    xD.. I heard it can withstand tons of heat, Like.. where I live, It's gets to about 100 Degrees Fahrenheit,, Someone told me it does really well in types of weather like that
    100 Degree Fahrenheit is nothing to silicon... Try 100-120C which is typically the normal max operating temperature for consumer grade components. Military grade hardware is 2-3x more expensive than what ASUS has to offer and that is proof enough. Using solid caps doesn't make it any better than any other board with solid caps and chokes.

The sabertooth boards are as much a joke as MSI's "Military Grade" bullshit they advertise.

100 Degree Fahrenheit is nothing to silicon... Try 100-120C which is typically the normal max operating temperature for consumer grade components. Military grade hardware is 2-3x more expensive than what ASUS has to offer and that is proof enough. Using solid caps doesn't make it any better than any other board with solid caps and chokes.

The sabertooth boards are as much a joke as MSI's "Military Grade" bullshit they advertise.
    +1. Yeah this hopefully was clear up front for anyone buying. Honestly I bought the MSI board for 3 reasons and none had to do with hype on the box

1.) It was in stock.
    2.) It came pretty well recommended. I've looked at a few other MSI boards and they're not having this rolling restart issue, not that I've seen.
    3.) I liked the price. Considering everything else, The price seemed "right", not a $50 card but I neither needed nor wanted a $400 board either.