Page 1 of 3
LastLast
    Deleted

Should I start playing RIFT?

So, I've been playing WoW for ages. I was levelling this alt, hoping to feel refreshed by playing a new class and when I've reached 80+ a thought struck me. When I was going to reach 85, I was going to do the same old things, right? Grind honor (I was gonna pvp on this char), find a team when decently geared, get rating, level another alt when I'm bored. Before, whenever I saw some RIFT stuff, I said meh and moved on. But looking at RIFT more in detail, I am starting to think it's actually fun. The soul system looks amazing!

So, in short, should I move on to RIFT from WoW?

I also have a few questions for you RIFT players.

1) Is there enough players right now to not make you feel like you're playing alone?
    2) Is there a decent amount of world pvp?
    3) Does it take AGES to get to max level?
    4) How many 'raids' (or whatever they're called in RIFT) are there to do at max level? And are they similar to WoW raids?
    5) How do the controls and UI feel? I've played DAoC and WAR and the controls just don't feel right. Too clunky and unresponsive.

Thanks

Edit: Don't start a flame war between WoW and RIFT please.
    Last edited by mmoc2c2bcbefc4; 2011-05-08 at 04:16 PM.

Deleted
    If you have played wow then you have played this..

If you have levelled many alts in wow and skipped the story due to it being so familiar then you will due to habit do the same with this...

Its just a finer detailed but kinda clunky wow copy, but enjoyable for a time

10+ Year Old Account
    Theres still the wave of new players coming through so ur never alone.
    the world PvP dosent come untill later on in levels - instanced PVP is fairly common and somewhat fun - tho not too groundbreaking.
    the leveling is pretty quick from what ive experienced, but i guess its relative - my first wow character took forever to level so meh.
    i think there are only 4 actual raids (most deffinatly wrong) but the unique thing about rift is, you'll get these massive "Rifts" that happen ingame, that you can raid - these are multiple tiered boss fights that are pretty engaging - and vary from each type of elemental plane or whatever, I.E. Death, Fire, Life, probbably more but its late
    the controls are suprisingly awesome, and the UI is amazingly configurable. its pretty cool to be able to make an awesome UI without the need for external addons.

but for me rift was a bit... um idk... i guess it lacked substance.
    having so many souls on offer was pretty cool, at first. but after a while you start to think, you know, what do i bring to a raid, or party. pretty much every class has a healing spec, and im sure they all have a tanking spec. even the priests have tanked dungeons for me. I dunno - its just so unusual to the basic system, that it felt a little wierd playing with such a wide and varied group of classes.

No,waste of money.

Honestly

10+ Year Old Account
    No, i tried it and got bored very quickly, they claim to fix homo-generalization with their 9 specs per 4 class, but theres usually not much different spec to spec, just exact ability clones with a new name

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Hailstorm View Post
    So, I've been playing WoW for ages. I was levelling this alt, hoping to feel refreshed by playing a new class and when I've reached 80+ a thought struck me. When I was going to reach 85, I was going to do the same old things, right? Grind honor (I was gonna pvp on this char), find a team when decently geared, get rating, level another alt when I'm bored. Before, whenever I saw some RIFT stuff, I said meh and moved on. But looking at RIFT more in detail, I am starting to think it's actually fun. The soul system looks amazing!

So, in short, should I move on to RIFT from WoW?

I also have a few questions for you RIFT players.

1) Is there enough players right now to not make you feel like you're playing alone?
    4) How many 'raids' (or whatever they're called in RIFT) are there to do at max level? And are they similar to WoW raids?
    5) How do the controls and UI feel? I've played DAoC and WAR and the controls just don't feel right. Too clunky and unresponsive.

Thanks

Edit: Don't start a flame war between WoW and RIFT please.
    Not rly, but you should stop making these kinds of threads and use the search function.

My advice is to wait for another free weekend and give it a try. I like it much more than cataclysm that's for sure, but everyone is different.

Is it better than Cataclsym? Yes. Is it better than WoW? Yes. But should you go play it? No.

I bought it and only played up to 28lvl. It's just another hotkey MMO. There are tons of stuff adapted from WoW so you shouldn't feel estranged. Levelling is easy. Graphics are meh-kay.

In addition to a few raids, there are also "Rift-raids". You basicly get exalted or whatever with an elemental faction then go buy a "seed" to open a huge raid. Then you find some nice place, gather friends, and start fighting a gi-normous rift.

I started playing because i though the soul system was epic too. "Each combination should offer me a different experience, right? And it's all gonna be balanced" i though to myself. It doesn't work that way. Sure you can mix different souls, but not every soul is compatible with the next. So there is always a "the best" spec to go.

I'd suggest waiting for a free-weeken before buying it.
    Signature by Tacy :]

Deleted
    1) Is there enough players right now to not make you feel like you're playing alone? Not really. The initial fad is gone. Now its just leftovers and wow haters.
    2) Is there a decent amount of world pvp? Nope. See point 1.
    3) Does it take AGES to get to max level? No, not really.
    4) How many 'raids' (or whatever they're called in RIFT) are there to do at max level? And are they similar to WoW raids? 2 raids now, I think. Identical to wow
    5) How do the controls and UI feel? I've played DAoC and WAR and the controls just don't feel right. Too clunky and unresponsive. Control is the only good thing. You can basically macro so much that you can play the game with 3 keys basically.

It's a fun game. Worth a try on a free weekend.

Quote Originally Posted by a random troll View Post
    1) Is there enough players right now to not make you feel like you're playing alone? Not really. The initial fad is gone. Now its just leftovers and wow haters.
    2) Is there a decent amount of world pvp? Nope. See point 1.
    3) Does it take AGES to get to max level? No, not really.
    4) How many 'raids' (or whatever they're called in RIFT) are there to do at max level? And are they similar to WoW raids? 2 raids now, I think. Identical to wow
    5) How do the controls and UI feel? I've played DAoC and WAR and the controls just don't feel right. Too clunky and unresponsive. Control is the only good thing. You can basically macro so much that you can play the game with 3 keys basically.
    Your username and the content that you've posted are both very fitting.

Deleted
    Thanks for all the replies! I'll watch reviews and read up about the game and then I'll make up my mind.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Hailstorm View Post
    Thanks for all the replies! I'll watch reviews and read up about the game and then I'll make up my mind.
    No review will match against your own personnal experience in the game, just play it.

Deleted
    Listening to the posts in this thread is a bad idea, since there all WoW fans and extremely biased and wrong really. Most WoW fans played will level 5 then quit. Read the actual Rift thread.

I leveled to 50 then quit. Everyone that I know personally that has sung the praises of Rift have also quit.

Its a decent enough game, but unless they do some major upgrades or go with a Free to play/Micro-transaction payment system, then I will not play this game again.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Twilightdawn View Post
    No, i tried it and got bored very quickly, they claim to fix homo-generalization with their 9 specs per 4 class, but theres usually not much different spec to spec, just exact ability clones with a new name
    you claim to know alot and yet you do not know how to spell homogenization... not generalization. and the exact ability clone is far off the truth....

all in all, to the OP: you seem to be tired of mmo's its the same deal everywhere.... take a break, read up on stuff, do IRL things... and wait for guild wars 2 to come out... thats about 5 months or more so you'll have time to rest from mmo's and time to decide wether or not you want to keep playing mmo's. true story!

Quote Originally Posted by warorc View Post
    No review will match against your own personnal experience in the game, just play it.
    He's right just try the game. It's pretty much a wow clone with rifts spawning everywhere (was fun for a while) and a "dynamic" talent system. I've been trying new mmos here and there for a while now and they're all trying to copy wow in one way or another. These developers just need to come up with something unique. I think Star Wars: The Old Republic, Guild Wars 2 and Tera all look very promising for the future of mmos, but we'll have to wait to see.
    Quote Originally Posted by Lascer
    I don't always drink tears, but when i do, i prefer undead's.

Stay feared my friends.

10+ Year Old Account
    No, it sucks and it's player base is going down hill because people get bored when they hit level cap because there is nothing to do.
    It's terrible.

Quote Originally Posted by Kulthor View Post
    No, it sucks and it's player base is going down hill because people get bored when they hit level cap because there is nothing to do.
    It's terrible.
    there's nothing to do for the casual player. the "hardcore" players have raids. the 5 man dungeons are actually hard, so PUGs typically fail miserably at it. I don't know how many times I've wiped in King's Breach due to the Twin Manticores. And then after them, the final boss (forget his name).
    As far as I know there's only 2 raids now. Greenscale's Blight, and the River of Souls.
    Raid Rifts are fun too, but you can only do them so many times before they get old.

Quote Originally Posted by Twilightdawn View Post
    you must be playing a rogue then.
    try a mage.

I've been playing WoW for a really long time, and I got burned out from raiding as much as we did, so I decided to take a break from WoW for awhile, and try out Rift.

It's dependent on your server, however for the first zone (level 6-17 give or take) it's generally got a lot of people in prime hours.

I leveled on a PvE server, however a few of my friends were on PvP servers and said it's fairly common in the higher level zones, which starts around level 30.

When I did it, I was playing for 5 or so hours a day, and it took me around a week and a half. If you have troubles with quests there's a site called "Rift.zam.com" which is pretty much wowhead.

There's two raids at level 50, both are 20-Man. There's two level 48+ dungeons that you can do, and there's also an Expert (Heroic) version of every dungeon there is, the cool thing about it though is they're split into Tier 1 and Tier 2 difficulties. Tier 1 is the easier version and has five different dungeons to pick from. Tier 2 is the harder version and also has five different dungeons to pick from.

It's UI and controls are basically like WoW if you set it up that way. It's insanely easy to get used to and easy to customize. Just click the huge "Edit Layout" button in your escape menu.

Since you're also interested in PvP, I thought I'd also mention how that goes. There's four battlegrounds (Warfronts) and different ones open at different levels. You have one from level 10-19, another opens for 20-29, anothero pens for 30-39 and then finally you have one more opening for level 50. They all have a time limit of 20 minutes so you don't spend forever in them, and every battleground has their own specific reputation which gives rewards for its specific level, but for the highest reputation it has level 45-50 items.

There's also a "Prestige" rank a level 50, you start at Prestige 1 and as you gain more Prestige you rank up and open up new PvP Items to buy. Each rank requires a different amount of Prestige to rank up, however the first one is 35k to give an example, don't want to spoil the rest. :P

There's a lot of people who bash Rift because it's a "WoW-clone" and everything like that, however they probably haven't leveled past 20 so they don't know about a lot of the really cool stuff that happens in the higher levels. Personally I think Rift is a really awesome game, which has more people then just "WoW Haters", etc. I think it'd be worth giving it a shot, and they may do another free weekend like they did awhile back.

Edit: For the people saying there's nothing to do at level 50, you just need to have friends to play with, because like in Vanilla and Burning Crusade the dungeons aren't for people with brain deficiencies.