Help!! Using Dual View with AMD Radeon HD 6970

I am trying to connect a second monitor to the second VGA port on my AMD Radeon HD 6970 , but its not noticing it at all. Is there some setting that i have to enable for dual view, or is my GFX card just faulty? Any help would be greatly appreciated!

First, your card doesn't have VGA ports. Second, Windows sometimes defaults to mirror mode, but sometimes doesn't use the second monitor on its own. Meaning you have to go into the display properties and tell it to use it.
    EVGA Classified SR-2 | Intel Xeon X5680 x 2 | Corsair Dominator DDR3-1600 6 x 2GB | XFX HD5970 x 2
    Intel PRO/1000 PT Server NIC | ASUS Xonar DX | Corsair AX1200 | Corsair TX750
    OCZ Vertex2 60GB | WD Velociraptor 300GB x 2 | Samsung Spinpoint MP4 500GB
    EK-FB SR2 - Acetal+Nickel | EK-Supreme HF - Acetal x 2 | EK-FC5970 Acetal x 2
    Thermochill TA120.4 x 3 | Thermochill TA120.3 | Swiftech MCP655 x 2

10+ Year Old Account
    if by vga u mean DVI then u need to right click and click on resolution (if u using windows 7) or properties (if you are using Vista) and then for the second monitor option choose to either mirror or extend desktop. you can also choose wich one is your main. However if you choose to mirror it will set both monitors and they are differedn in size/resolution it will set both to the smallest of the two.

Deleted
    VGA is the blue port, DVI are the yellow/grey things, although there's different versions of DVI.

If they have hooked up the monitor to the right port, make sure the monitor doesn't have a "mode" selection to switch between different hook-ups on the monitor itself.
    01001000 01101001 00100001

Yea sorry noob mistake haha i meant DVI. And yes i know that i have to go through the properties to find the two monitors and enable the dual view, but when i do that , the second monitor that i have plugged in doesn't even show up, its not even being detected. So is this a problem with the Card itself?

Scarab Lord
    15+ Year Old Account
    Could be the cable being used, usually I start simple.

Quote Originally Posted by Hugsforlove View Post
    Yea sorry noob mistake haha i meant DVI. And yes i know that i have to go through the properties to find the two monitors and enable the dual view, but when i do that , the second monitor that i have plugged in doesn't even show up, its not even being detected. So is this a problem with the Card itself?
    Can you try a different cable, or a different port? - Have you tried switching the cables around for each monitor?
    Computer: Intel I7-3770k @ 4.5GHz | 16GB 1600MHz DDR3 RAM | AMD 7970 GHz @ 1200/1600 | ASUS Z77-V PRO Mobo|

15+ Year Old Account
    Also - most noob thing to check - is this on a fresh reboot? Occasionally, if you try to plug-and-play a monitor with windows already loaded and running, all it takes is a reboot to recognize the second monitor.

10+ Year Old Account
    Are you using any converters for the cables such as a VGA to DVI? The 6970 has 1 DVI-D (Digital Only) and 1 DVI-I (Analog and Digital). The DVI-D can't do VGA at all even using a converter, but the DVI-I can do either.
    Intel Core i7 5820K @ 4.2GHz | Asus X99 Deluxe Motherboard | 16GB Crucial DDR4 2133 | MSI GTX 980 4G GAMING | Corsair HX750 Gold | 500GB Samsung 840 EVO

Quote Originally Posted by Yohassakura View Post
    Can you try a different cable, or a different port? - Have you tried switching the cables around for each monitor?
    Yes ive switched the cables out for the only port thats working and both cables work fine on the Top one, its the bottom one thats not showing anything.

Quote Originally Posted by uggorthaholy View Post
    Also - most noob thing to check - is this on a fresh reboot? Occasionally, if you try to plug-and-play a monitor with windows already loaded and running, all it takes is a reboot to recognize the second monitor.
    Yea ive tried that, even took my computer apart and pulled out the gfx card

Quote Originally Posted by Saithes View Post
    Are you using any converters for the cables such as a VGA to DVI? The 6970 has 1 DVI-D (Digital Only) and 1 DVI-I (Analog and Digital). The DVI-D can't do VGA at all even using a converter, but the DVI-I can do either.
    I am using the DVI-I , and it seems to be working just because i have two, one for both my monitors. And like i said, the one port thats currently active works for both monitors, its just the second one thats not finding anything.

I am trying to connect a second monitor to the second VGA port on my AMD Radeon HD 6970 , but its not noticing it at all. Is there some setting that i have to enable for dual view, or is my GFX card just faulty? Any help would be greatly appreciated!
    That video card's second video output is DVI-D only. The first port is DVI-I, which is cross compatible with DVI-A. You aren't seeing anything because your monitor does not support digital input. You need a monitor that has two channels, or one that is digital only. A safe bet is if the monitor has HDMI input, you are good. Otherwise, good chance it will not work on the second port no matter what you do.

Quote Originally Posted by Demoness View Post
    That video card's second video output is DVI-D only. The first port is DVI-I, which is cross compatible with DVI-A. You aren't seeing anything because your monitor does not support digital input. You need a monitor that has two channels, or one that is digital only. A safe bet is if the monitor has HDMI input, you are good. Otherwise, good chance it will not work on the second port no matter what you do.
    Ok awesome, so basically the only thing to do is go get a monitor that has an HDMI output???

10+ Year Old Account
    Ok awesome, so basically the only thing to do is go get a monitor that has an HDMI output???
    Monitor with a DVI-I output or HDMI
    Intel Core i7 5820K @ 4.2GHz | Asus X99 Deluxe Motherboard | 16GB Crucial DDR4 2133 | MSI GTX 980 4G GAMING | Corsair HX750 Gold | 500GB Samsung 840 EVO

Monitor with a DVI-I output or HDMI
    Ok well i went and returned my monitor and got one with an HDMI port, and now both monitors are showing up on the screen and the extended display is working perfectly, The only problem i am having is that the mouse is only staying on my primary display, and not moving over to the secondary... and i have no idea what could be causing this....

Are you moving the mouse in the right direction? Windows isn't psychic, the side you have the second one on, may not be the same side it is to Windows.
    EVGA Classified SR-2 | Intel Xeon X5680 x 2 | Corsair Dominator DDR3-1600 6 x 2GB | XFX HD5970 x 2
    Intel PRO/1000 PT Server NIC | ASUS Xonar DX | Corsair AX1200 | Corsair TX750
    OCZ Vertex2 60GB | WD Velociraptor 300GB x 2 | Samsung Spinpoint MP4 500GB
    EK-FB SR2 - Acetal+Nickel | EK-Supreme HF - Acetal x 2 | EK-FC5970 Acetal x 2
    Thermochill TA120.4 x 3 | Thermochill TA120.3 | Swiftech MCP655 x 2

10+ Year Old Account
    Ok well i went and returned my monitor and got one with an HDMI port, and now both monitors are showing up on the screen and the extended display is working perfectly, The only problem i am having is that the mouse is only staying on my primary display, and not moving over to the secondary... and i have no idea what could be causing this....
    Right click the desktop and select Screen Resolution. Now click and drag the second monitor to where you want it.

Quote Originally Posted by ispano View Post
    Are you moving the mouse in the right direction? Windows isn't psychic, the side you have the second one on, may not be the same side it is to Windows.
    Right click the desktop and select Screen Resolution. Now click and drag the second monitor to where you want it.
    Yes it works! I feel sooo retarded right now haha, Thank you all for your help guys it really payed off <3 you.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by gnlogic View Post
    if by vga u mean DVI then u need to right click and click on resolution (if u using windows 7) or properties (if you are using Vista) and then for the second monitor option choose to either mirror or extend desktop. you can also choose wich one is your main. However if you choose to mirror it will set both monitors and they are differedn in size/resolution it will set both to the smallest of the two.
    This, but you may have to "detect" the other monitor. It should be by the "identify" button.