Page 1 of 2
LastLast
    The Patient
    10+ Year Old Account

Have $400 - what's the biggest bang for my buck?

Ok computer pros. I'm not one, and I need your help. I've got $400 bucks to spend on upgrade(s), but I'm not sure what's really going to make the most noticeable difference.

This computer is pretty much only used for playing WoW, and I raid with little to no FPS issues currently. I've tried to Xfire raids, but that drops my FPS pretty low and the game gets choppy (probably more a CPU issue with dual core, but again I'm no pro). My load times are also ridiculously slow at the moment, as my hard drive is incredibly old.

Here's my setup (all links are newegg and legit):
    Processor - Intel Core2Duo Wolfdale 3.16ghz (1.5 yrs old or so)
    Mobo - Gigabyte EP45T-UD3LR (1.5 yrs old or so) - only capable of SATA II, not III, boo
    GPU - EVGA GTX 570HD
    Memory - 2x2 GB sticks (couldn't find link, but they're Gskill)
    Hard Drive - Cannibalized from previous system (5+yrs old... ridiculously slow r/w)
    External Hard Drive - 1TB Seagate

Here's what I'm considering:
    1) Replace the hard drive with an SSD, perhaps this one ($270), for faster load times, and also be able to have $130 extra for some more memory(or other recommendation?)

2) Replace the hard drive with a plain jane mechanical $100ish bucks (don't need much space given the external 1TB, but it would likely have faster r/w times than what I'm working with now), and have more money for.... recommendations?

I'm a bit hesitant to pull the trigger on an SSD given that my mobo is only SATA II capable and I wouldn't be able to take advantage of the SATA III speeds. Yea, I could get the SATA III adapter, but most of the reviews I've read on those don't end well (correct me if I'm wrong though). Either way, the hard drive absolutely has to go. I'm just wondering if there's something else I should be more concerned with that I'm not even thinking of, where it might be obvious to the pros.

Long story short, I have $400, and I'm undecided what to do with it. Any help or advice from the pros is appreciated!!

Heroic progression raider. Incapable of using Saran Wrap.

Deleted
    From what I can see, everything seems pretty old there. Considered getting a cheap-ish Mobo bundle which is basically just a smaller upgrade in all areas and is more easily upgradable as opposed to an upgrade which isn't fully utilized?

Deleted
    Get a Samsung Spinpoint F3, new mobo & 2500k.
    (This s just my opinion, of course)

If Wow is your main concern, actually even if it's not, Hmmster above was spot on:
    Quote Originally Posted by Hmmster View Post
    Get a Samsung Spinpoint F3, new mobo & 2500k.
    (This s just my opinion, of course)
    For that money though the Hard disk can wait, try to find some 2500k + motherboad + ram combo. May be a push for that money however but you can rest at ease knowing the core of your computer is pretty much the best there is at the moment, and Wow just loves good processors, graphics cards above anything average are a waste of time.
    Robtrina of Sylvanas.
    Robwong of Sylvanas.
    Roblína of Sylvanas.

Scarab Lord
    15+ Year Old Account
    Best bang for your buck is going to be a new CPU/Mobo/RAM. As others have mentioned you have the funds to get an i5 2500K so might as well.

Deleted
    Why is everyone hating on 4gb of ram? >:

Scarab Lord
    15+ Year Old Account
    Why is everyone hating on 4gb of ram? >:
    No one is hating on 4GB of memory but his board is DDR2 and if he goes with the current generation of i3 or i5 CPU his board will require DDR3 memory thus rendering what he currently has as useless.

The Patient
    10+ Year Old Account
    Great thoughts - I had always heard WoW was more CPU intensive than GPU. How do you guys feel about this bundle, despite the fact that the hard drive isn't what you're recommending?

http://www.newegg.com/Product/ComboB...679872-_-Combo

Deleted
    I would go DDR3, DDR2 is much more expensive.

Also whenever I see a tread asking whats the bast bang for my buck, I automatically think 'Shotgun!'.

Deleted
    The only reason I was recommending that harddrive is because it's known as the best & cheapest one.
    And yes, that looks great. Be aware you can't really upgade that CPU though, since it's a 2500 and not a 2500k.

EDIT: Looked closer, no,woudln't recommend that. You only save 31 dollars anyway. Lemme look something up real quick.
    EDIT: Or well, 1333 vs 1600MHz ram doens't make much difference, and that was the main thing I saw.
    Last edited by mmocb39a133b7e; 2011-07-30 at 08:06 PM.

Indd the drives like - £35 for 1GB and is the fastest "old tech" drive until you start throwing money at WD velociraptors (have 5 in a raid 5 and they kick ass).
    Quote Originally Posted by Boubouille
    I knew it would be useful to be french at some point.
    Quote Originally Posted by xxAkirhaxx
    just get a mac. It's like sleeping with a fat chick to avoid STD's.

The Patient
    10+ Year Old Account
    Just wanted to say a huge thanks to everyone offering up advice so far - I came in here thinking I was going to do one thing, and you guys have helped me steer into a better decision. And no one's been elitist or arrogant about it. This is why I love these forums.

I would go for upgrading in this order:
    1.Mobo, 4GB DDR3 RAM and either i3-2100 ($125) or i5-2500k ($220), which CPU you get depends on if youre willing to spend the extra over $400 to get the best.
    2. Hard drive, would get a new HDD before a SSD

Can't afford anything good with $400 if you plan to play games on it.

The Patient
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by shruikan2553 View Post
    I would go for upgrading in this order:
    1.Mobo, 4GB DDR3 RAM and either i3-2100 ($125) or i5-2500k ($220), which CPU you get depends on if youre willing to spend the extra over $400 to get the best.
    2. Hard drive, would get a new HDD before a SSD
    Pretty much what I'm going to do based on everyone's help, though I'll likely do it all at once so I don't have to build twice - I'll try to squeeze the extra money out to get the 2500k version. Thanks all!

Scarab Lord
    15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by conqq View Post
    Can't afford anything good with $400 if you plan to play games on it.
    Bullshit, just straight up and outright. Have you even bothered to read anything that anyone else has said.

Deleted
    New Mobo: 100 bucks
    i5-2500k: 220 bucks
    that leaves 80 bucks for a HDD: You could consider a Hybrid drive like the Seagate Momentus XT. They're a little more expensive but since you already have an external drive, you don't really need more than the 320 GB model.

Quote Originally Posted by Culadin View Post
    Bullshit, just straight up and outright. Have you even bothered to read anything that anyone else has said.
    His machine is pretty dated. It'd be more worth it just to get a new one if he plans to do anything beyond purely PLAYING WoW.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by conqq View Post
    His machine is pretty dated. It'd be more worth it just to get a new one if he plans to do anything beyond purely PLAYING WoW.
    Pretty dated?
    THe only thing dated is the Ram, mobo & CPU, the GPU is really good. <.<

Pretty dated?
    THe only thing dated is the Ram, mobo & CPU, the GPU is really good. <.<
    My point, one component being new doesn't mean the entire machine is up-to-date

A GPU is about 30-50% the price of a PC.