Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst
    Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Inay
    Saturated fats should be avoided.
    I think you're getting mixed up.
    Transfats should be avoided.
    Saturated fats are needed by the body.

• For calcium to be effectively incorporated into the skeletal structure, at least 50% of the dietary fats should be saturated.
    • Saturated fatty acids constitute at least half of the cell membranes. They are what gives our cells necessary stiffness and integrity.
    • Fats also act as enzyme and hormone regulators, and are the base material out of which the body makes cholesterol, which is the precursor to such critical hormones as vitamin D, cortisol, testosterone, estrogen and progesterone, as well as bile acids which are necessary for the digestion of fats.
    • Fats also are needed as carriers for the fat soluble vitamins (the antioxidant vitamins), like vitamin A, E, D, K, and a low fat diet can lead to deficiencies in these nutrients.

As with most things, moderation is the key, rather than excess or omitting foods or macro-nutrients from the diet.

Quote Originally Posted by DiceDice View Post
    I think you're getting mixed up.
    Transfats should be avoided.
    Saturated fats are needed by the body.

• For calcium to be effectively incorporated into the skeletal structure, at least 50% of the dietary fats should be saturated.
    • Saturated fatty acids constitute at least half of the cell membranes. They are what gives our cells necessary stiffness and integrity.
    • Fats also act as enzyme and hormone regulators, and are the base material out of which the body makes cholesterol, which is the precursor to such critical hormones as vitamin D, cortisol, testosterone, estrogen and progesterone, as well as bile acids which are necessary for the digestion of fats.
    • Fats also are needed as carriers for the fat soluble vitamins (the antioxidant vitamins), like vitamin A, E, D, K, and a low fat diet can lead to deficiencies in these nutrients.

As with most things, moderation is the key, rather than excess or omitting foods or macro-nutrients from the diet.
    I know trans fatty acids are even worse but 50% of fats being saturated sounds really much. Whereas I usually stumble upon on something like 7% of your calorie intake daily from saturated and 1% from transfats while you are trying to get lean. Basically trying to eliminate transfats and keep saturated fats low. 50% just sounds alot from the daily fats you consume.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by coolkingler1 View Post
    After not going to the gym for a week or 2 due to lazyness I went again today with a friend who has been no-lifing it the last 5 months. He instructed me and now I feel my arms still from the workout I had 6-7 hours ago. Even though I love the feel of sore muscles to some degree I just don't want it while I am attending college tommorow, but it is inevitable, however I had some bacon left in the fridge, the protein in there surely must help against soreness? (= faster muscle recovery)

Also he goes 4-5 times per week to the gym, is this unhealthy? o.0 his arm muscles are huge now when he flexes them. o.0 And I am not a beginner to fitness either but damn he improved alot in a year.

I ask because bacon is also delicious. :P
    Stretch after your work-out, it helps remove the lactic acid still lingering around your muscles by increasing the blood flow slighty!

Deleted
    The question should be, why _wouldn't_ you eat bacon? Sore, not sore, doesn't matter. Bacon = life.

Deleted
    Bacon is not really bad for you depending on the quantity and amount of salt/preservatives.
    I eat fresh bacon from butchers about 3 or 4 times a week, I'm 6'0, about 9% body fat and 165 lbs, my cholesterol is in a healthy range and my doctor said I'm a "picture of health"

My point is, eat bacon if you want to, but keep your diet pretty balanced and healthy.

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Judge Malthred View Post
    Is there any way to increase the DOMS? I love the feeling!
    Work out with a 4-5 day split targeting each muscle group once per weak. Work to your mental and physcial limit all session and every session, concentrate on perfect form and high weight. Swap routine every few weeks with new or alternating exercise. GG plenty of DOMS.

On topic. OP you have to get use to the pain and suck it up or go home. Also just because you have been going to the gym for however many years doesn't mean you're good at it or all knowing, people can achieve nothing going to the gym for 10 years if thye know nothing about training. Obviously your friend knows something about going to the gym and you should listen to him as he trained you better than you probably have before if the DOMS is so severe. Also the idea that bacon improves muscle soreness is kind of... well stupid. The only thing that reduces muscle soreness is recovery. You will get plenty of recovery if you sleep enough and aren't on a retarded 3-6 days a week biceps/chest routine working the same muscles over and over.

Deleted
    So to sum it all up
    1)muscle soreness will always happen but severity and length can be reduced by careful warming up not over training and cool down after work out (light stretching to increase blood flow and relax muscles not flexibility increase stretching as that will just further damage the muscles and increase soreness)

2)Bacon can be a part of healthy diet but is not a good post work out source o protein due to the amount you would have to eat, a better idea us to use a few pieces to add flavour to a post workout meal to treat yourself

3)a good protein shake drunk after work out I a better idea to up your protein and allow you lose keep protein intake higher without having to eat obscene amount of meat

4)everyone is different so workout what works best for you and just balance it all out and cook foods in healthier ways to reduce negative impacts

Hope The posts that contained good info helped you out

---------- Post added 2011-10-26 at 05:53 PM ----------

Il add again the DOMS I the aide effect of pushing your muscles so if you want good fast gains accept it's going to hurt, if your by in a huge rush and would rather comfortably improve with minimal soreness just don't destroy yourself eery session, but make sure you do feel something otherwise you will end up just maintaining and won't really improve!

If your in real pain after a session you have been dpig top much and your friend has pushed you to hard to fast, but soreness and pain are different and relative to different people so do what feels right whilst making sure to push yourself

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Abominator View Post
    Work out with a 4-5 day split targeting each muscle group once per weak. Work to your mental and physcial limit all session and every session, concentrate on perfect form and high weight. Swap routine every few weeks with new or alternating exercise. GG plenty of DOMS.

On topic. OP you have to get use to the pain and suck it up or go home. Also just because you have been going to the gym for however many years doesn't mean you're good at it or all knowing, people can achieve nothing going to the gym for 10 years if thye know nothing about training. Obviously your friend knows something about going to the gym and you should listen to him as he trained you better than you probably have before if the DOMS is so severe. Also the idea that bacon improves muscle soreness is kind of... well stupid. The only thing that reduces muscle soreness is recovery. You will get plenty of recovery if you sleep enough and aren't on a retarded 3-6 days a week biceps/chest routine working the same muscles over and over.
    Yo thanks for insulting for no reason at all. I did listen to my friend, who said I did not? And I stated that I like the feeling of DOMS to a certain degree, so don't act like I hate it. And bacon is just delicious so all your arguments fail against that by default.

I don't know about muscle soreness, but I'm pretty sure bacon cures cancer.

More seriously though, there are much better ways to alleviate muscle soreness. Protien isn't going to translate to muscle relief that quickly regardless.

Quote Originally Posted by Caiada View Post
    Tanks are bowls. Healers are milk. DPS is the cereal. If you don't have a bowl, nothing's going anywhere but where you don't want it. If your milk's bad, the whole meal is instantly ruined. If there is not enough cereal, the whole meal is a failure and you aren't satisfied.
    Originally Posted by Ghostcrawler
    If you are trying to AE tank and a bad dps is attacking the wrong target and dies, we call that justice.

Idk about muscle soreness, but the cure for cancer is bacon+duct tape. So I'm sure each of them do something useful on their own.

While Bacon, along with other forms of protein, will help with increase muscle recovery, I've yet to see any personal research showing it reduces muscle soreness. I know for one, according to many of my athletic trainer friends, that Cherries/Cherry juice have a great anti-inflammatory property to help.

Eat chicken instead.

Deleted
    Bump?.. :P

We don't have bacon anymore.....I need to buy me some.

Deleted
    You should go for white meat.

15+ Year Old Account
    Please do not bump old threads.