Page 1 of 2
LastLast
    The Lightbringer
    10+ Year Old Account

Headache from Push Ups..

Hello

I'm not sure how to explain it but from like 1 week ago I started getting real head ache from doing push ups. It started with the flu and I've gotten better already but the headache is still there. I'm wondering what it could be? I'm doing it right, that's not the problem.

*edit* could it be I'm not drinking enough water?`

Deleted
    It could be tension, not raising your head enough, breathing and stuff but as you say you're doing it right it shouldn't be any of those. Assuming you do it correctly it's probably unrelated to the push-ups and more likely that something from the push-ups is triggering another underlying problem.

High Overlord
    10+ Year Old Account
    How long ago has it been since you've had the flu?
    I think you're pushing it too early.

I caught a really nasty virus that gave me body aches and really horrible head aches. Even after I got better for about 3 weeks I had to lay off of the strenuous activities which was tough because I like to work out, my job was all manual labor and I biked 3 miles to work. My lower back was the last thing to heal after I went to the hospital and got medication and if I had too bike to hard up hill I would get a slight headache but it'd go away after a few minutes.
    Last edited by Nikvis; 2011-11-13 at 11:08 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Kezotar View Post
    Hello

I'm not sure how to explain it but from like 1 week ago I started getting real head ache from doing push ups. It started with the flu and I've gotten better already but the headache is still there. I'm wondering what it could be? I'm doing it right, that's not the problem.

*edit* could it be I'm not drinking enough water?`
    Could easily be lack of water. Especially after the flu. Probably dehydrated during that time to begin with.

I've had this problem with the bicep freeweight (its a curved bar,) whenever I lift up I get a very large pain in the left backside of my neck.

Not sure what it is but I'm going to see a doctor about it.

Deleted
    LOL when i saw the topic i thought you got headache from push up bra :/

The Lightbringer
    10+ Year Old Account
    Okey, so probably drinking more water should help. I think I'm at about 1.5 - 2 L each day which I guess is not enough. Also, I read something with breathing while training, I sometimes hold my breath for like many reps. That's probably my problem.. Thanks for a lot of tips guys!

*edit*

It could be that I broke a vein or something, that could be caused from holding my breath while doing heavy exercise. We'll see, I'll try some more the 3 next days drinking more water and working on the breathing system. I'll let you know

<snip>

I found your video and I can see where the problem may be.
    Last edited by Radux; 2011-11-14 at 12:03 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Yourgrounded View Post
    <snip>

Don't be a douche.
    Last edited by Radux; 2011-11-14 at 12:02 AM.

The Lightbringer
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Nikvis View Post
    How long ago has it been since you've had the flu?
    I think you're pushing it too early.

I caught a really nasty virus that gave me body aches and really horrible head aches. Even after I got better for about 3 weeks I had to lay off of the strenuous activities which was tough because I like to work out, my job was all manual labor and I biked 3 miles to work. My lower back was the last thing to heal after I went to the hospital and got medication and if I had too bike to hard up hill I would get a slight headache but it'd go away after a few minutes.
    somewhere 12 days ago, that's when it started until somewhere Tuesday last week

---------- Post added 2011-11-14 at 12:20 AM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by Yourgrounded View Post
    <snip>

My weight is about 74 kg, I do 60 x 3 push ups. I'm fine ) And of course my BMI is 23, I'm normal weighted, so that's obviously not the problem
    Last edited by Radux; 2011-11-14 at 12:02 AM.

Deleted
    are you a midget or something?

The Lightbringer
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Haajib View Post
    are you a midget or something?
    178cm = 1.78m. I wouldn't call that a midget xD

My guess would be you held your breath without noticing. That is very common when thinking a lot about bodily form, just focus on your breathing next time.

Also, it's not very wise to workout while you're sick and especially with the flu. Your lungs and throat are already having a bad day, working out just makes it worse.

The Lightbringer
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Drihan View Post
    My guess would be you held your breath without noticing. That is very common when thinking a lot about bodily form, just focus on your breathing next time.

Also, it's not very wise to workout while you're sick and especially with the flu. Your lungs and throat are already having a bad day, working out just makes it worse.
    Yeah, working on it, breath in while going down, out when up. Thanks for the help, really appreciate it!

Quote Originally Posted by Bodygrinder View Post
    I've had this problem with the bicep freeweight (its a curved bar,) whenever I lift up I get a very large pain in the left backside of my neck.

Not sure what it is but I'm going to see a doctor about it.
    Your probably using bad form and jerking the weight up. In other words use less weight. It's very common to see people get hurt by using more weight than they should be and using their entire body to move it instead of the intended muscle. I see it happening all the time at the gym along with other things like using to much weight on squats and not even hitting parallel. I usually just laugh at them, eventually most people learn.

And no I'm not going to spend extra time that I don't have at the gym going around to every newbie or moron teaching them what to do. That's what personal trainers, internet, and books are for.
    Last edited by avx81; 2011-11-13 at 11:53 PM.

People are really pushing the line to a place we really don't like. Be nice or get out. Trolling/Flaming or anything in between will not be tolerated. One and only warning -- clean it up.

The Lightbringer
    10+ Year Old Account
    So today I was trying again, I was doing the breathing perfect, breath in when going down and out when up. Drank about 2.5L of water about the whole day. The headache is still there and it's ridiculous, I tried to take a 1 week break after my sickness was over ( 5 days ). Could it be that I could've broken any blood veins due to massive overload while sometimes not breathing when I should? I'm allergic, so I'm a bit shitty mood sometimes, itching in eyes, nose etc. I'm not using my allergic pills regular, could this have something to do with it?

Thanks ahead!

*edit* I'm not heating up before doing my push ups, like doing some easy 15-20 to just warm up, should I be doing this?
    Last edited by Kezotar; 2011-11-14 at 11:25 PM.

you may need to go see a doctor before proceeding further.

The Lightbringer
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Dragoncurry View Post
    you may need to go see a doctor before proceeding further.
    The two next days have been going bad, the head ache is just worse. I stopped doing them and will contact my doctor within this week. I'm afraid of have broken a vein which could be the problem here. That means 3 months no exercise..

I thank you again for good tips, I will give more information after being at the doctor.

The Lightbringer
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Congelatore View Post
    Not a lot of info. here to go off of.

Getting the flu is not a side effect of doing pushups. My guess would be that you got the flu from somewhere around the same time you started doing pushups. Lay off of them until you feel better, then start up again.
    Hehe of course not, I was just taking that to account if that could be a reason for my head-ache..