Poll: What do you do when dialect starts??

Be advised that this is a public poll: other users can see the choice(s) you selected.

Page 15 of 17 FirstFirst ...
LastLast
    Herald of the Titans Sephiracle's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Puremallace View Post
    Not sure people are getting this. There is no story. You story is the same as the Sith Inquisitor next to you. In the end the minor difference between people like dark and light side points will end up getting nerfed into oblivion. Noone wants actual consequences for their decisions in MMO's and when you get to end game this will become more apparent why I am saying this.
    That's a whole lot of speculation and anger in a single post.

I simply do not get what is the difference between playing this game and jumping on youtube and watching a compilation of the cut scenes?
    How about the latter being a lot less interactive and immersive?
    LoL: Kr1sys
    WoW:'06 - '11 '14-?' : Krisys - Blood/Frost DK | Sephiracle - Arms/Prot Warrior | Sephyx - Shadow/Disc Priest | Petergriffin - Huntard

Quote Originally Posted by Puremallace View Post
    Not sure people are getting this. There is no story. You story is the same as the Sith Inquisitor next to you. In the end the minor difference between people like dark and light side points will end up getting nerfed into oblivion. Noone wants actual consequences for their decisions in MMO's and when you get to end game this will become more apparent why I am saying this.

I simply do not get what is the difference between playing this game and jumping on youtube and watching a compilation of the cut scenes?
    Even if your story is similar to other people of your class, it's still your own story. Some people just like to experience the story for their own character, in their own way.

You don't play a story-driven game to watch the story on YouTube.

Deleted
    for me story is almost everything. best games of all times for me were planescape: tornment and legacy of kain series. hell, the gameplay was dreadful at times (especially in planescape) yet i did enjoy every single dialogue or cut scene in them.

"skip text->kill stuff->turn in quest->get another->repeat->???->win" ?
    been there, done that. that game was called wow and i died out of boredom in cataclysm. even raiding is pointless without any story behind it (or shit story).

Take an extra dose of Adderall. You people have the attention span of a hamster.

What I usually don't like about the dialogue is having all the pointless responses to make, i'd like it to kind of auto play for me, while I chill and get the experience of it. Some affect the game but there are alot where they just are fluff and don't do shit, they should just get u two points and say whether it will be hostile or well received because the bastard never say exactly what the option says 90% of the time.

I skipped off and on because it was the beta, I probably will skip a lot in the beginning besides class quests, mainly due to I will want to see whats at end game see how other classes do and make an alt and take my time on the alt assuming I don't make more than that.

Come 2012 I'll probably be playing GW2, TSW or KoA:Reckoning-perhaps the MMO to follow, firefall might take some of my time as well.

WoW does not stand a chance through the early year of 2012, people will see games with either better storytelling in game(cutscenes+cinematics), better combat design, better "worlds" and different MMORPG styles.

If you don't realize that SWTOR is made to be very Story driven as a game then you need your head examined, info has been out and about nonstop on the game for the past months, we all knew it was like that months ago. Dialogue can be slow and predictable at some points, but its a large scale MMO not all quests scripts in game will be perfect. Hell, only like 30% of WoW's quests are entertaining and only like 1% have any cutscenes or dialogue for them.

Scarab Lord
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by budong View Post
    Take an extra dose of Adderall. You people have the attention span of a hamster.
    I resent that. I have ADHD and I've never skipped any dialogue, even when not taking my pills! Quit stereotyping!

Pretty sure it's mental laziness and/or disinterest, not ADHD, that makes people skip scenes.

Deleted
    The first time i play a game i always try to read/listen to the story because it adds more depth and immersion to the game, but if it get's boring or just plain stupid i skip it.

Alot of us skipped em because it was Beta weekend. There is a very good reason why you dont want to skip them. You want to maximize your points. So when you send that companion on mission he doesnt take hours to do something someone else will take no time to do. Yes the more they like you the faster they finish quests.

I turned on subtitles and skipped a lot of the actual voiceovers because I can read about 5 times faster than the NPCs talk. I listened to the voiceovers for dramatic effect on the class quests.

The same people that genuinely skip the VO's (without reading) the first time around and rush through quests will be the same people that complain that the end game is boring and has no story.

Deleted
    I listen to the class quests, but some of the side quests are easily skippable. I also predict a lot of people criticising others for skipping dialogue will be eating their words after they've done the same flashpoint a few times

I don't think it's fair to criticise people who don't want to play the game the same way as you. Some people are just in it because they want to kill stuff with lightsabers and blasters. There's nothing wrong with that at all. Same with WoW. Some people love the lore and read all the text etc, some just want to know how many boars they gotta kill and be pointed in the right direction. It's all good.

Quote Originally Posted by Eurhetemec View Post
    I resent that. I have ADHD and I've never skipped any dialogue, even when not taking my pills! Quit stereotyping!

Pretty sure it's mental laziness and/or disinterest, not ADHD, that makes people skip scenes.
    Same here. Feel kinda insulted actually. :/

Quote Originally Posted by Woobe View Post
    oh please go play BF3 or MW and leave the RPG's.

if you just want to kill things there is plenty of games. whats the point in playing an rpg if you don't take the time to enjoy the story. When you watch a film (was going to say read a book but realised the futility of that statement) do you just skip to the end?
    There's a substantial difference between a good story and a bad story. It's hard for a lot of people to understand that the story elements in SWTOR are mostly generic and bland, which is probably why this topic has become so controversial lately.

Just because there's cool voice acting and cut scenes that convey the story, doesn't mean the story is a good one and worth listening to.

Quote Originally Posted by Eroginous View Post
    There's a substantial difference between a good story and a bad story. It's hard for a lot of people to understand that the story elements in SWTOR are mostly generic and bland, which is probably why this topic has become so controversial lately.

Just because there's cool voice acting and cut scenes that convey the story, doesn't mean the story is a good one and worth listening to.

Oh, look, a critic...

From what I have gone through so far, the writing hasn't been bad. Its no award winning novel by any means, but I find people that have to nit pick rather then sit back and enjoy and immerse themselves confusing (and often unhappy people in general).

Why is complaining so fun? Its not a bad story as you imply. It already is set in the SW IP and if you are already a fan its easy to get caught up in the storyline. But even without the IP, the Bioware writers are pretty awesome. They have shown it in many of their games and while I didn't make it to max level in the beta, have very much enjoyed the storyline so far.

So, yes, that is just my opinion. But get off your high horse. Generic and Bland are nothing more then your opinions and certainly don't apply to many many people. And the fact is, even with a non-steller storyline, the VO and environment can still pull you into a enjoyable fantasy setting if you'd only let it.

Quote Originally Posted by Cel View Post
    Oh, look, a critic...

From what I have gone through so far, the writing hasn't been bad. Its no award winning novel by any means, but I find people that have to nit pick rather then sit back and enjoy and immerse themselves confusing (and often unhappy people in general).

Why is complaining so fun? Its not a bad story as you imply. It already is set in the SW IP and if you are already a fan its easy to get caught up in the storyline. But even without the IP, the Bioware writers are pretty awesome. They have shown it in many of their games and while I didn't make it to max level in the beta, have very much enjoyed the storyline so far.

So, yes, that is just my opinion. But get off your high horse. Generic and Bland are nothing more then your opinions and certainly don't apply to many many people. And the fact is, even with a non-steller storyline, the VO and environment can still pull you into a enjoyable fantasy settings if you'd only let it.
    It's generic because you can cut and paste the dialog into any sci fi story and it would fit. It's bland because there's not much that's exciting about the IP this is based from to begin with. Every good SW title that has ever been released as a video game has been based/extended from the movie franchise. Those games are good because they follow a theme or direction for a pre existing plot that ties directly into game play. Players enjoy those games because they identified in some manner with the characters from the movies and playing a game based around those characters fulfilled many a nerds wet dream.

In SWTOR, it's great that you get to play as one of many roles from the movie franchise, but it falls short because you're just generic jedi/trooper/sith/bounty hunter/ect and your purpose is defined the same as every other player in the game playing your class. This becomes increasingly obvious as you progress through a series of 'story driven' quests where NPCs direct you to complete objectives that are no different than any other generic quest from any other RPG, ever.

The best RPG games ever made are usually ones where you only have one quest and the entire game is centered around completing that quest. All the mini quests in the world with the most elaborate voice acting and ground breaking cut scenes are going to pale in comparison to one RPG with a single epic quest. Think Legend of Zelda series. Or Final Fantasy. In those games you are presented with your quest at the very beginning, and you undertake tasks along the way that aid you in completing your quest.

I haven't yet discovered anything in SWTOR that is a pointed part of any of my characters main story or purpose for being in the old republic. Therefore the story has been bland and generic thus far.

Herald of the Titans Sephiracle's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    The best RPG games ever made are usually ones where you only have one quest and the entire game is centered around completing that quest. All the mini quests in the world with the most elaborate voice acting and ground breaking cut scenes are going to pale in comparison to one RPG with a single epic quest. Think Legend of Zelda series. Or Final Fantasy. In those games you are presented with your quest at the very beginning, and you undertake tasks along the way that aid you in completing your quest.
    Yeah, those are called single player games.

This becomes increasingly obvious as you progress through a series of 'story driven' quests where NPCs direct you to complete objectives that are no different than any other generic quest from any other RPG, ever.
    I would find it pretty difficult to provide unique story driven quests to every player in the game, but maybe that's just me.
    LoL: Kr1sys
    WoW:'06 - '11 '14-?' : Krisys - Blood/Frost DK | Sephiracle - Arms/Prot Warrior | Sephyx - Shadow/Disc Priest | Petergriffin - Huntard

10+ Year Old Account
    I haven't yet discovered anything in SWTOR that is a pointed part of any of my characters main story or purpose for being in the old republic. Therefore the story has been bland and generic thus far.
    Delighted you have an opinion on the matter. It's been noted and archived for the future generations.

I'm afraid, however, that many people disagree with your superior artistic perception of the issue.

Oh and FYI, you are not the one to determine what others should or should not listen to or perceive as bland or interesting. You only determine that for yourself.

So please stop preaching this as if it's the God's final truth.
    Last edited by zealous; 2011-12-02 at 09:51 PM.
    - Looks like they took him to some bolt hole in the Wounded Coast.
    - I wonder if it's near the Injured Cliffs? Or the Limping Hills? Massive-Head-Trauma-Bay? No? Just me? *sigh* Forget I said anything.

I didn't even know you could skip, so I didn't. But going to reroll the same character when real game comes out so will skip a lot then.

I'd probably skip it if I had heard it before, but not the first time.

The voice overs are nice but around level 10 I was honestly sick of listening 5 minutes of "story",of why I need to kill X amount or retrieve and bring back X. The class story for sith seem way more interesting-(Jedi consular compared to sith version,)at least from my experience.Some other stories like the smuggler one just seem like turds put together in a week.

The community for this game also drives me away from it anytime someone voices a negative opinion its flooded with

"LOL WOW FANBOY GO BACK TO KUNG FU PANDA"

"ITS A STORY DRIVEN GAME OMG WHY CAN'T YOU GUYS UNDERSTAND HOW STORY THIS MMOSTORY IS"

I honestly think its worse than the WoW community by a lot. The class story is good and I enjoy listening to most of them but side quest "story" is just annoying even with the "skip" options of "just tell me what to do". Also the cutscenes appear to be the only time where characters have any detail besides Eyes mouth and hair. My twilek is literally a green version of my human with no hair.