Page 7 of 11 FirstFirst ...
... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Kouki View Post
    Actually you get more loot and experience if you kill a mob other people are killing to encourage helping.
    i dont think thats entirely accurate i think you get the same loot/exp you would have got if you were soloing. Basically you cant mob tag and keep people from earning exp or loot, once 2 people attack a mob they will get the standard experience and have same loot table rolls so loot can drop for both players. -you wouldnt know the other player got loot tho unless he told you-

Now what i think you meant was for the event system the harder the event maybe the more loot and exp you get at the end and more players = harder event so maybe thats what you meant.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Zeek Daniels View Post
    i dont think thats entirely accurate i think you get the same loot/exp you would have got if you were soloing. Basically you cant mob tag and keep people from earning exp or loot, once 2 people attack a mob they will get the standard experience and have same loot table rolls so loot can drop for both players. -you wouldnt know the other player got loot tho unless he told you-

Now what i think you meant was for the event system the harder the event maybe the more loot and exp you get at the end and more players = harder event so maybe thats what you meant.
    I think you're right here yes. I think you need to do at least 20% (?) of the mobs HP to also receive the same exp/loot. I don't know if a DE's reward will increase if more people join the DE, that could cause a problem when people are doing less popular DE's.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Kouki View Post
    Well it is situational i suppose.
    The events that scale offer more rewards if they scale up past various points say 10 20 30 ppl, so more loot to be had due to a harder fight due to more people.
    I'm not so sure it does that, either. The whole point of dynamic events scaling with the number of people is to retain the same level of difficulty despite the greater amount of power on the players' side, not to become more difficult if there's more people.
    Also known as Welcome on the WoW forums.

Herald of the Titans Snow White's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    I don't expect the community to be perfect, but I do expect it to be better than most. Why?
    1. I feel like this game will attract more mature players due to it's engaging and dynamic combat system.
    2. The whole questing style is tailored to help you meet new people, make friends and play with them no matter what class / spec you are.
    3. Arenanet is taking extra steps to try and create a grief-free environment.

Quote Originally Posted by Odeezee View Post
    haha, made me laugh.

people busy arguing about which game will have the better community? wow people are really bored i guess. but hey, this thread is entertaining me while i am sick, so carry on folks.
    I play sith.... 50/50 chance to get it right but he didnt.
    Im curious where there is posts that say a certain game has a better community as another, ive stated that ALL games have bad communities, nor have i defended wow and swtor so im glad your not talking about me there phew.
    If there is 1 thing ive learnt from this thread is that people that do play swtor are hated by a few of the mmo-champion gw2 fanbase.
    Move on..the arguement is boring. (although im enjoying the attention).
    Last edited by Bongomadness; 2012-02-05 at 03:25 PM.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Shortcut View Post
    About the community: Please remember that you are a part of the community aswell (this counts for everyone obviously).
    If you don't like the community, then do something about it.
    Instead of discussing whether the GW2 community is going to be good or not, try to make the community better yourself.
    Try to be friendly, stop discussions from getting out of hand, don't feed the trolls.
    I'm not specifically talking about this thread, but about every thread you will participate in in the future.

Anyone can change the direction a discussion is going, be it for the better or the worse.
    And it's up to the community (and obviously the moderators) to stop a discussion from going the wrong way.

PS. Do have some faith in the community.
    It's never going to be perfect, but that doesn't mean it's going to be terrible
    Quoting this again. Don't like assholes in your game community? Don't be an asshole. There will still be trolls, still be people fighting fire with fire, and still people upset about things, but in a game which encourages cooperative gameplay and doesn't allow kill/loot stealing, maybe we have a chance to get the community off on the right foot by not fighting amongst ourselves so much. Now, slightly tongue-in-cheek:

10+ Year Old Account
    As a couple of people already said: having a good community starts with yourself. It may sounds cheesy, but that's how it is. If you're nice and friendly, and encourage people to do the same, the community will be better.

And I'm a strong believer that game-mechanics have an influence over inter-player interactions. GW2 gameplay places strong emphasis on teamwork, which will result in a nicer overall community.
    Resurrected Holy Priest

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Bongomadness View Post
    I play sith.... 50/50 chance to get it right but he didnt.
    Im curious where there is posts that say a certain game has a better community as another, ive stated that ALL games have bad communities, nor have i defended wow and swtor so im glad your not talking about me there phew.
    If there is 1 thing ive learnt from this thread is that people that do play swtor are hated by a few of the mmo-champion gw2 fanbase.
    you do realize that you as a person are not "people" as a whole, right? so assuming that my comment was directed at you is reaching at best, but i'll play; will GW2 have a better community than other MMOs? /shrug who knows at this point really? does GW2 have mechanics that can foster a better community over time? yes indeed. all we have to do now is see if people embrace these mechanics or not.
    your comment about GW2 fans disliking SWTOR fans is not really accurate though. Mif did not say he dislikes SWTOR or it's fans, but merely identified that you are a fan of SWTOR and due to the competing nature of the genre these days people tend to try and tear other games down to elevate their own. so i took it as more of a caution than a slate. oh and i play SWTOR too so...yeah...i still found his comment funny.
    "Cherish the quiet...before my STORM!"

For a $5/5000 in-game credit bonus for backing
    Star Citizen (MMO) or Squadron 42 (Single Player/Co-op) use my Referral code: STAR-3QDY-SZBG
    Star Citizen Video Playlist

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Primal Zed View Post
    I'm not so sure it does that, either. The whole point of dynamic events scaling with the number of people is to retain the same level of difficulty despite the greater amount of power on the players' side, not to become more difficult if there's more people.
    In one of the blogs and videos the pannel says you will not be like oh great another player here to ruin my game, you will go oh great another player here to help, and they went on to say more rewards.
    This reward system has created impromptu groups without grouping that flow across zones.

Quote Originally Posted by Primal Zed View Post
    More? I never heard that before. In everything I've seen about this, the developers have said each player involved gets full rewards, as opposed to having a set amount getting divided among all participants.
    You're correct.
    All participants recieve 100% of the mobvalue, nothing more, nothing less.

They have however said that certain encounters are scaled based on amount of people nearby and these encounters also yield different amounts of XP depending on the amount of people around it.

There will be alot of regional pride tho, asuming they're still going for NAvsEUvsAll as servers that is.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Rivehn View Post
    It will probably be good for the first year, then as the popularity gets bigger your going to attract more trolls.
    Dont feed the trolls. Ignore them and move on /solution

Deleted
    I think this thread is getting a bit out of hand.
    Some people are taking things way too personal and that's never the right way to go.
    Even though this last page does give me some hope that this thread will be alright.

Shortcut is correct, this thread is getting a bit out of hand at times. Keep it civil guys.

10+ Year Old Account
    Of course its a community in a nutshell. Its an online computer game. If you havn't learned that yet, well there you go!

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Ynna View Post
    As a couple of people already said: having a good community starts with yourself. It may sounds cheesy, but that's how it is. If you're nice and friendly, and encourage people to do the same, the community will be better.

And I'm a strong believer that game-mechanics have an influence over inter-player interactions. GW2 gameplay places strong emphasis on teamwork, which will result in a nicer overall community.
    I agree. In terms of community, LFD and later LFR were very bad moves. On my old WoW server, there was this annoying gnome rogue that nobody wanted to group with because he was a ninja looter, trade chat spammer and generally being an asshole. Eventually, he changed name. It didn't really help hm much because gnomes rogues were so rare and his gear didn't change fast enough so everyone could keep an eye on him. Eventually, he was forced to leave the server. LFD and LFR made sure that those people could still enjoy a large part of the game without suffering consequences for their crappy behavior. That's why I'm glad that at least for dungeons and structured PvP, they will have to play nice or nobody would want to team with them. Or leave the server and suffer the same fate again. Also, since the game isn't about loot/mob competition, I'm generally convinced at least some people will learn that playing nice isn't that bad.

And yes, you yourself are responsible. Treat people like crap and they will treat you like crap and it sickens the atmosphere. If you are nice and other people are nice, there won't be a problem.

It's a shame GW2 is generating so much publicity. I hope the small skill bars and beautiful graphics are not to WoW Players' tastes and they return to their panda game after throwing ANET some cash in box sales

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by General_Typhus View Post
    It's a shame GW2 is generating so much publicity. I hope the small skill bars and beautiful graphics are not to WoW Players' tastes and they return to their panda game after throwing ANET some cash in box sales
    Why? Why wouldn't you want (former) WoW players playing and enjoying GW2?

Quote Originally Posted by Ghostrider View Post
    Why? Why wouldn't you want (former) WoW players playing and enjoying GW2?
    Because I'm from Mannoroth.

Deleted

Wouw, seems playing WoW on that realm hasn't helped your faith in humanity.

10+ Year Old Account
    point taken
    The Original Ganksta

Top 100 US daggers. yeah, you're jelly alright

Quote Originally Posted by Durzlla View Post
    then again i'm pretty sure you're smarter then the average dumbass