Page 1 of 15
... LastLast

Diablo3 Launch, amateurish work? Yes idd

read before post.

Iam a long fan of Blizzard, I though. No. I was convinced that Diablo 3 would be a smooth launch, Boy was I wrong.

Blizzard have in its past the best Know-how on how to run a MMO service, They own the best the server server/client mmo inftrastrucutre in the industry, I though this know-how would apply to Diablo3. You may say that Diablo3 isnt a MMO and totally true its still a server/client program.

Iam 110% sure Diablo3 uses some of the WOW infrastructure, it just makes sence from a business standpoint, you dont trow millions of dollars on something new. You use whats been proved to work and the inhouse technology.

For blizzard standards this was amateurish for sure. How come they didnt predicted the influx of players, How come they didnt made sure the infrastructure would cope, they had data not only from the anualpass holders but from they own pre-purchases and the retailers pre-orders/purchases

So what failed? Lack of Knowledge? Incompetence? Cost effective?

- Lack of Knowledge? Cant be cause as I said they network engineers have years of experience on running wow.

- So? Incompetence. Different engineers? Maybe but WOW works and fine, so most of the network talent would be working on Diablo3. again is what makes sence you have human talent that made a good system you put it working on same for a different product

- Last theory cost effective, Ok so listen to me and maybe put the god old tinfoil hat. They had the data they knew millions of ppl around the world would be hamering the servers, still they decided to go with a bad infrastructure! Why? I dont know maybe because the hype on a few days will pass, and then servers would cope? It doesn't mater most want to play NOW its a legitimatly concern

Its not just the cant login thingies, Login Screen Boss and what not, its the constant DCs, high ping in europe more than when I played beta on US servers, the constant ruber bands, Achivments not registering etc

Iam not ranting and venting, ok maybe ranting a bit. but it isnt because I cant log in now after a hard-day work waiting to come work and get my hands on D3 again. No iam extremely pissed at Blizzard, They had know-how, Data, Talent, Infrastructure, Billions of dollars per year and still failed to deliver a smooth launch of the most waited PC game so far of the century(yes the 21st century)

I laugh on cloud computing gaming...
    Last edited by Hellfury; 2012-05-15 at 10:30 PM.

do it better yourself then

10+ Year Old Account
    Error 37 is the hardest boss blizzard have made! Shame was really enjoying it this afternoon :P

10+ Year Old Account
    I think any game that lunches and tries to have million of people logging on at the same time will have problems, People just have to be wait for them to fix it.
    Packers - Penguins - Gators

Quote Originally Posted by Tomservo View Post
    do it better yourself then
    Ofc I wont do it better myself? But if the PC gaming Industry Behemoth cant? Who will

Quote Originally Posted by Graph View Post
    I think any game that lunches and tries to have million of people logging on at the same time will have problems, People just have to be wait for them to fix it.
    This is the mentality we have to fight! This is 2012, we arent in 2005 anymore Internet gaming isnt a wonder new thing, its something that its here, costumers that payed to play should do it from day 1 and the companies have to work for it.

Quote Originally Posted by Hellfury View Post
    Billions of dollars per month
    I'd like to see you back up this point
    Take a deep breath and remember, it's only a game

Quote Originally Posted by Raydin View Post
    Check Activision/Blizzard last shareholder report, and check next one to see Diablo3 box sales.

I am with you OP. No offline mode was the WORST IDEA EVA.

Manage to lvl11 right in the middle of a dugeon when I got kicked out. Then no possible login. So not only are servers full, but they are unstable and probably kick players left and right. For a dungeon crawler, that's a bad bad idea..

Quote Originally Posted by Graph View Post
    thiiiisss pleassee reaaaad thissss ^

I am Murloc!
    15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Raydin View Post
    Based on their subscriber numbers and the monthly cost of a sub, reaching that amount of income from WoW alone isn't difficult. Of course, that is before you even figure in mount/pet purchases, etc or even other games like SC2 and D3 purchase income (also soon to add RMAH income)

The same thing can be said when any game is being flooded by a couple million users going in all at once.

It's called online gaming: When you get new stuff out on the table, everyone and their dog will get on it if its any good. Sit out and wait. :/

No offline mode was a GOOD idea, I'd hate to see the amount of piracy, dupes, hacks and other crap that would come about if information was stored on your computer..

every launch blizz have has problems, they should know the score by now and have something in place.

10+ Year Old Account

Blizzard have in its past the best Know-how on how to run a MMO service
    This is where your entire post goes down in flames

Its like expecting McDonald's to make a perfect New York strip with all the fixing just because they are in the food industry and work with beef (well sort of).

Quote Originally Posted by Sythari View Post
    No offline mode was a GOOD idea, I'd hate to see the amount of piracy, dupes, hacks and other crap that would come about if information was stored on your computer..
    because there totally won't be server emulators^^

15+ Year Old Account
    Rather than complaining that the giant should be able to accomplish this, perhaps you should take a minute to wonder if it IS possible at all if the giant can't. That being said, it was relatively quickly I personally stopped having problems, especially compared to the last games I played at launch.

I am in the EU, though, maybe the servers here are just radder.
    Actually, we prefer "Ethically challenged" now.

Ofc I wont do it better myself? But if the PC gaming Industry Behemoth cant? Who will

This is the mentality we have to fight! This is 2012, we arent in 2005 anymore Internet gaming isnt a wonder new thing, its something that its here, costumers that payed to play should do it from day 1 and the companies have to work for it.

Blizzard =//= PC Behemoth (Not compatible)

Deleted
    Servers down 1 hour, sure is some bad shit with millions of people logging in!

@OP:

Answer is very very simple:
    Not giving a crap.

Why should they?
    People will rave about diablo (even as most seem to be 14-17 year olds who never played diablo in its time, just join the hype) and will play it and adore it no matter what problems it has, so why should they waste money on making sure its smooth?

It all solves itself in time, when people try to log later, give up for the day, have to work and whatnot, even then they might be "furious" but the next day they will play it lol, besides its not a subscription based game thus there is no loss of revenue if players are pissed, they already bought the game.

Personally im not playing it, found the beta to be a tad bland and very similiar to torchlight, but would still play it if not for the constantly online issue.
    I travel a lot and many times i dont have a stable internet connection, so i am in all senses deprived of a single player game due to it, thus i didnt buy it.

Aside from the login issues, I played for several hours with absolutely no bugs of any kind on a laptop that's about two years old. I had zero lag the entire time I was playing, despite having slow internet and playing wireless. I really don't get where the complaints of "constant DCs" come from.