Page 1 of 3
LastLast

Prot Paladins looking forward to MoP?

When they released holy power I gave up on my paladin. I played him through all of BC and Wotlk and loved him but as soon as holy power was introduced I had enough. I switched to warrior and have had a blast with him but I still miss my Paladin. I think it has a lot to do with having only a handful of abilities I actually need. Most of the stuff on my bar is never used or rarely used.

I really hope its better in MoP but I have a feeling that Paladin is just going to be more of the same.

I feel like the loss of blockcapping and the methodology behind the new SotR buff is going to be a real game-changer as far as bringing our mitigation mechanics more in line with the other classes.

Assuming it actually works how I imagine it would, the mechanics patch for 5.x is going to make a lot of DS hardmode fights a lot more pleasant to paladin tank. Being able to push out an SotR during Hagara's special attack is hugely better than how things are in live, where DK's are disproportionately advantaged because of blood shield scaling off of the attack amount. Also, timing an SotR right before an impale on madness along with your other CD mappings and being able to follow up with a buffed WoG is absolutely spectacular compared to live.Also imagine how awesome Ultrax is going to feel with double SotR buff uptime (assuming the mechanics will work consistently with live).

My basic feeling is that the changes are going to give us a much better toolset for dealing with a lot of encounter-specific situations that arise in the current raiding game, in exchange for losing what is arguably an inappropriate amount of consistent mitigation against routine boss melee attacks.
    Last edited by underdogba; 2012-06-27 at 08:50 PM.

10+ Year Old Account
    Soo, a new resource that really didnt change much of the Protection paladin caused you to quit, and now you are wondering if anything has changed? Hmm, nope, holy power still there.
    Quote Originally Posted by Moounter View Post
    I think your problem is a lack of intellect.

Quote Originally Posted by HollerTH View Post
    When they released holy power I gave up on my paladin. I played him through all of BC and Wotlk and loved him but as soon as holy power was introduced I had enough. I switched to warrior and have had a blast with him but I still miss my Paladin. I think it has a lot to do with having only a handful of abilities I actually need. Most of the stuff on my bar is never used or rarely used.

I really hope its better in MoP but I have a feeling that Paladin is just going to be more of the same.
    100x this.

Holy Power killed my Paladin for me, especially Holy. I've kept him alive during Cata due to all the achievements, but as soon as MOP lands I'll likely vendor all his gear, equip him in a Transmog set and park him.

They've made some nice tweaks in MOP, but Holy Power's still as clunky as ever. I'm also looking at swapping to my Warrior, or Druid, or DK, or roll a Monk!

Quote Originally Posted by Raugnaut View Post
    Soo, a new resource that really didnt change much of the Protection paladin caused you to quit, and now you are wondering if anything has changed? Hmm, nope, holy power still there.
    They increased annoyance of a simple rotation so that we could have a really boring combo point system. Then they took away some abilities or made them worthless, added some more insane forbearance crap and left me wondering what advantage my paladin had over other tanks. They did something very similar to druids with lacerate/pulverize but at least I could switch to cat and smash things on the fly.

---------- Post added 2012-06-27 at 09:07 PM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by Dakara View Post
    100x this.

Holy Power killed my Paladin for me, especially Holy. I've kept him alive during Cata due to all the achievements, but as soon as MOP lands I'll likely vendor all his gear, equip him in a Transmog set and park him.

They've made some nice tweaks in MOP, but Holy Power's still as clunky as ever. I'm also looking at swapping to my Warrior, or Druid, or DK, or roll a Monk!
    My paladin has a lot of achievements that I didn't want to give up but it seems Blizzard is going to fix that for me.

I enjoy holy power as ret in the beta now that more abilities generate it. Prot is a bit meh now that CS and HotR are back to 4.5 sec cooldowns though.

Dusted off Prot in Beta (gave up right around T12 and went to my Warrior) and they seem to be a lot more fluid than currently on live, with all the utility still intact. I'm more than likely going back since I don't like how Warriors feel on Beta, and I haven't had the chance to try a Monk (and realistically I wouldn't be able to spend the time leveling one to be a new main)

Quote Originally Posted by Arothand View Post
    Dusted off Prot in Beta (gave up right around T12 and went to my Warrior) and they seem to be a lot more fluid than currently on live, with all the utility still intact. I'm more than likely going back since I don't like how Warriors feel on Beta, and I haven't had the chance to try a Monk (and realistically I wouldn't be able to spend the time leveling one to be a new main)
    I don't like the sound of that. What don't you like about warrior?

Deleted
    Definitely looking forward to it, some nice changes going on, although I will probably need a bit of time getting used to 4.5 sec crusader strike, atm I feel like there's a bit too much gap time or overlapping.

Deleted
    I'm really looking forward to trying out my Prot Paladin in MoP!
    It's my first tank tho.

So for a first time Pally-tanker.. What exactly is changing in the playstyle?

Deleted
    I like being a holy warrior who soaks all damage, I don't care what I can do, I only care about how awesome it is to take big hits.

10+ Year Old Account
    They increased annoyance of a simple rotation so that we could have a really boring combo point system. Then they took away some abilities or made them worthless, added some more insane forbearance crap and left me wondering what advantage my paladin had over other tanks. They did something very similar to druids with lacerate/pulverize but at least I could switch to cat and smash things on the fly.
    We could castsequence macro our rotation in WotLK. That's not "simple", it's boring and bad design. Altering the rotation so that it would actually matter as to when abilities were used is a good thing, and they're going further down that path in MoP.

What Forbearance mechanics were added? The only abilities that are affected by it are Divine Shield, Hand of Protection, and Lay on Hands. Not to mention it was kicked down to a 1 minute debuff from 2 minutes (that may have been late WotLK, but I'm pretty sure it was for Cataclysm).
    Host of Talking Skritt, a GW2 podcast!

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Malthanis View Post
    What Forbearance mechanics were added? The only abilities that are affected by it are Divine Shield, Hand of Protection, and Lay on Hands. Not to mention it was kicked down to a 1 minute debuff from 2 minutes (that may have been late WotLK, but I'm pretty sure it was for Cataclysm).
    And they removed it from Divine Protection. I can't see how Forbearance is MORE of an issue now than it was in Wrath. o_O

I'm just thrilled I can use word of glory without there being a silly cooldown again, and we're getting sacred shield back. <3

Quote Originally Posted by Wondercrab View Post
    I'm just thrilled I can use word of glory without there being a silly cooldown again, and we're getting sacred shield back. <3
    There is sort of a pseudo-cooldown in effect to be fair, because of the fact that you would need to stack the buff from SotR for it to be maximally-effective.

High Overlord
    10+ Year Old Account
    I love the direction they are going with Prot Pallies in MOP, can't wait to try that as well as being a Brewmaster Monk.
    A wise saying once said "A wise man builds a foundation from the bricks others have thrown at him."

I don't like the sound of that. What don't you like about warrior?
    It boils down to the rage gen feels... strange. It feels like I pool all my Rage just to use it on Shield Block, and the damage reduction just doesn't seem there compared to other tanks despite the awesomeness of Shield Barrier (even less so than how things currently are in DS where I feel like the weakest overall tank, not in the sense of being incapable of tanking the fights, but other tanks can do it easier).

The pally feels much smoother compared to live, which is part of why I abandoned it for the Warrior in T12; T11 I liked my Pally still.
    Last edited by Nobleshield; 2012-06-28 at 10:45 PM.

On beta prot just needs some number tuning. The new shield slam buff feels clunky at first glance but you kind of get used to it and lining up your holy power to get a ~5-6 second duration of it feels rewarding. The removal of the WoG cd and actually buffing it when you shield slam is a welcomed change, though I kind of liked the opposite effect (buffing shield slam damage when you WoG) just for entertainments sake.

Prot pally is boring on live. The priority system is easy, gearing is simple with basically no diversity, and our mastery causes us to basically hit a brick wall where other tanks can just get better and better with each piece of gear. MoP fixes these issues and more, really looking forward to it.

As for the other specs, they made holy much more interesting (because I'm not pushing Holy Radiance and LoD and auto winning) but I'm not so sure about ret. Basically, every ability you have (except for TV) grants holy power. So honestly, its back to just hitting whatever button lights up again and TV at 3hopo while maintaining inquisition. Its not as simple as WoTLK was, but its close. Damn close.

Quote Originally Posted by Malthanis View Post
    We could castsequence macro our rotation in WotLK. That's not "simple", it's boring and bad design. Altering the rotation so that it would actually matter as to when abilities were used is a good thing, and they're going further down that path in MoP.

If you think the current paladin tanking system is better than the cast sequence system we had before you are not paying attention... that your you are a cat and a laser pointer is fun. There is nothing at all complicated about the current system. Forcing me to pay attention to a boring system is not better than being able to ignore a boring system.

---------- Post added 2012-07-03 at 02:23 AM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by Arothand View Post
    It boils down to the rage gen feels... strange. It feels like I pool all my Rage just to use it on Shield Block, and the damage reduction just doesn't seem there compared to other tanks despite the awesomeness of Shield Barrier (even less so than how things currently are in DS where I feel like the weakest overall tank, not in the sense of being incapable of tanking the fights, but other tanks can do it easier).

The pally feels much smoother compared to live, which is part of why I abandoned it for the Warrior in T12; T11 I liked my Pally still.
    To be fair rage is basically a endless resource when tanking. If it required even a tiny bit of thought it can't be much worse than what we have.

Deleted
    Just like Cata, i'll see how it turns out.