Thread: Real Money

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ...
LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by ayashi View Post
    the ca$h shop item i'm conserned about are:
    -magic find boost: the mere existence of such a bonus means lots of bad things for the original drop rate.
    Doesn't matter too much. You are not reliant on dropped gear outside of dungeons. Most and the best gear is vendor sold.

What magic find boost grants as an advantage is fodder for the forge and most importantly, salvaging. Which is greatly enhanced by cash shop purchases.

Quote Originally Posted by ayashi View Post
    the ca$h shop item i'm conserned about are:
    -magic find boost: the mere existence of such a bonus means lots of bad things for the original drop rate. Just take D3 as a extreme exemple of magic find boosting
    -instant repair canister: ANY item that allows to bypass a game mecanic is worthy of consern
    On the same note, anyone knows how the Resurection orb works ? I really hope it's not what it sound like : an instant res item

I find the unlock bag slot/bank tab and the perfect salvage kit annoying but i guess i can live with it.
    You're giving those items to much credit.

Rare drops are that, rare. And not really needed, remember there is no gear disparity at lv80. So its going to give you slightly better gear during questing. But this level of gear rarely drops, ive seen 3 drops in total from lv1->27. Needless to say the drop rate is somewhere in single-digit %s, possibly as low as 1%.
    Getting a 50% boost on that mens 1.5% droprate. Not amazing, you'll never really know if you got more drops due to sheer luck or due to the magic boost. It would only be noticeable if you farmed hundreds, no, thousands of mobs, this isnt D3. So its not important nor very likely to be an actual benefit.

Instant repair canister is just a quality of life item. You dont have to use your instant teleport to a town, pay some coin to get it repaired, and instantly teleport to the nearest waypoint you were. And if you have any kind of foresight you repair whenever you come across a repairman with 1 or more damaged pieces.
    So, its more of a "ow shit, i shouldnt have ignored all those warnings of damaged gear, and now i dont want to go back to a town"-thing. Not a big deal. And considering its quite expensive to buy, i dont really see a lot of people spending actual money to buy these. Rather, people will just find em from various sources. 5 of these suckers cost you more then 3.5$.

Resurection orb does as it says, slowly rezzes you from the dead but doesnt work in PvP (either sPvP or WvW). So, you die out in the world and res, all it really does is spare you a little time. Since now you dont have to spawn at the nearest waypoint and run back to where you were. So at best it can save you some time running, unless you are close to a waypoint anyway then its faster to run.
    And another thing to consider is, a lot of people help you out and run around rezzing fallen players. So, unless you are in a poorly populated area and lazy, this item is barely a benefit. Would you really pay more then 3$ for this item with a ONE TIME USE? Litterally the only place i can see this item actually being of any good use is during jumping puzzles, where this might save you having to redo part of the jumps and traps. But again, over 3$?

Wow, it's like people are scrutinizing the cash-shop to find something to whine about.

LOOK at it, there's nothing actually worth buying for personal progression. It are merely luxury items, nothing more. Don't worry, your wealthy neighbour won't be any better than you just because he has a limitless credit card.

The repair canisters are actually highly useful in the dungeons. Esp. in expo mode. Burned my entire repair canister supply on 2 runs of xAC, roughly 7 or so cans.

And yes, you can use them in the dungeon even though it says you can't.

10+ Year Old Account
    I'm wondering if people who pre-purchased or pre-ordered will get a free 500 or 1000 gems. I'm also curious to see what the gold:gem ratio is. I believe in the beta 100 (or 150) got you about 15 silver and a bit of copper. This probably will be different in retail when everyone doesn't automatically get 2500 free.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Sentinel View Post
    I'm wondering if people who pre-purchased or pre-ordered will get a free 500 or 1000 gems
    If that were the case, it would say so here.
    I hope you haven't forgotten my role in this little story. I'm the leading man. You know what they say about the leading man? He never dies.

If you give in to your impulses in this world, the price is that it changes your personality in the real world. The player and character are one and the same.

Quote Originally Posted by Fencers View Post
    The repair canisters are actually highly useful in the dungeons. Esp. in expo mode. Burned my entire repair canister supply on 2 runs of xAC, roughly 7 or so cans.

And yes, you can use them in the dungeon even though it says you can't.
    Beta has bugs...I know, who knew?

Quote Originally Posted by Ryngo Blackratchet View Post
    Yeah, Rhandric is right, as usual.

Maybe it is, maybe it isn't. Release will tell.

10+ Year Old Account
    Well. The dye tooltips said that they were account-bound, and they weren't. Turned out to be a tooltip that wasn't updated.
    I hope you haven't forgotten my role in this little story. I'm the leading man. You know what they say about the leading man? He never dies.

If you give in to your impulses in this world, the price is that it changes your personality in the real world. The player and character are one and the same.

Quote Originally Posted by Sentinel View Post
    I'm wondering if people who pre-purchased or pre-ordered will get a free 500 or 1000 gems. I'm also curious to see what the gold:gem ratio is. I believe in the beta 100 (or 150) got you about 15 silver and a bit of copper. This probably will be different in retail when everyone doesn't automatically get 2500 free.
    I would like that. Some free gems. But I think it would be 200-400. Since a add character slot is 800. and that is 10 dollars. That would be basically giving us a 10$ discount.

Well, I think the rate will be high at first, people will not really go for it AT first. IF anything ppl will buy gems for the character slots haha. In the future I think it would be like 1g for 100? Just a wild guess. I got like 50 silver really easy in the beta, keeping ALL the mats for myself, never sold one thing besides junk. If you think about 800 as of 10$ (I think?). So With 10$ on the beta I can buy 1gold and 50 silver? That sounds really low, and almost unworthy. Now if you put 1g every 100 gems average. I think it would be fine. Idk XD just wild guesses here.

Deleted
    The gem store (whatever it's called now) is not an auction house. It's more like a supermarket.
    The market buys gems from producers at a set price, then re-sells it to the consumer.

If there's a high demand, but not much avaibility, the price goes up. If it's high supply and low demand, it goes down. The difference would be that the supermarket in this case doesn't take a cut.

ANet have said they looked allot at Eve making this, and I would assume the reason they went with this road instead of just allowing gems to be sold on the normal auction house is because of the extreme price differences you found for PLEX in Eve. To make a good deal, you sometimes had to wait days to trade your plex for ingame money.

By having a centralized market instead of an open market, you won't have as much difference in the costs. The costs are flattened out, giving a more even and stable cost.

Actually if you're going to compare the GW2 economy to a game, so far it looks like EVE might be the closest, and EVE has a mother forking awesome economic system. GW2 has the buy orders just like EVE though it has an anywhere AH where EVE has AHs in individual systems (though with training you can access them from other places). EVE has Aurum which function like gems in that players can purchase them with money and sell them for in-game currency to other players if they so choose. Currently in EVE Aurum only buy vanity items, but EVE also has a monthly subscription (that you can actually pay with real money too by buying plex off the AH).

Honestly i feel it should. Why have 1 player run back to repair, delaying the whole group? What is unbalanced of having repair canisters work in dungeons, i'll never know.
    Perhaps Arenanet is just scared it might be a required to run?

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by terrahero View Post
    Honestly i feel it should. Why have 1 player run back to repair, delaying the whole group? What is unbalanced of having repair canisters work in dungeons, i'll never know.
    Perhaps Arenanet is just scared it might be a required to run?
    are they even really necessary at all in dungeons? AC has a repair anvil at the start of the dungeon, so basically you can just waypoint within the instance and repair then waypoint back. i really do not see the need for it at all unless you are super lazy or are broke in-game.
    "Cherish the quiet...before my STORM!"

For a $5/5000 in-game credit bonus for backing
    Star Citizen (MMO) or Squadron 42 (Single Player/Co-op) use my Referral code: STAR-3QDY-SZBG
    Star Citizen Video Playlist

Quote Originally Posted by Odeezee View Post
    are they even really necessary at all in dungeons? AC has a repair anvil at the start of the dungeon, so basically you can just waypoint within the instance and repair then waypoint back. i really do not see the need for it at all unless you are super lazy or are broke in-game.
    Well that applies to just about the entire game, finding a place to repair is easy. So why not let them be used in dungeons? Atleast then you and 4 others dont have to wait for you to port back and forth. Saves more people a little bit of their time.

Deleted
    I hope you reported it either way.

10+ Year Old Account
    I'm just going to budget myself $15 a month on vanity items, but not cheesy things like XP boosts. If the game is good, I have zero problems handing an MMO dev, their $15.

Quote Originally Posted by Binaris View Post
    anyone who had experience with guild wars, in the first one, did they sell cards at convenience stores for the in game store like LoL and other games? Sorta the only way to hide shameful purchases from the wife i really hope they do this.
    It's NCsoft so you can probably buy everything including the game with paysafe cards.

Quote Originally Posted by azthal View Post
    The gem store (whatever it's called now) is not an auction house. It's more like a supermarket.
    The market buys gems from producers at a set price, then re-sells it to the consumer.

If there's a high demand, but not much avaibility, the price goes up. If it's high supply and low demand, it goes down. The difference would be that the supermarket in this case doesn't take a cut.

ANet have said they looked allot at Eve making this, and I would assume the reason they went with this road instead of just allowing gems to be sold on the normal auction house is because of the extreme price differences you found for PLEX in Eve. To make a good deal, you sometimes had to wait days to trade your plex for ingame money.

By having a centralized market instead of an open market, you won't have as much difference in the costs. The costs are flattened out, giving a more even and stable cost.
    I think this is the only post I've seen in here by someone who actually understands how the gems/gold transactions work.

Quote Originally Posted by omlech View Post
    I think this is the only post I've seen in here by someone who actually understands how the gems/gold transactions work.
    I love supermarkets. You can just walk in with 5 apples and they'll give you cash for it based off of how many people are buying apples from them VS how many people are selling apples to them. It's so convenient!