Page 1 of 3
LastLast

How much gold does "good" gear cost?

My Wizard is starting to hit a brick wall in Act 3 so I'm looking on the AH for more gear, but I can't seem to find any upgrades at a decent price. I can usually find small upgrades that would cost 1-2 million gold each and any big upgrade/well rolled item goes for upwards of 10m a piece, let alone weapons going for 20-30m. I'm starting to wonder if I'm just poor or if I should be looking somewhere else for upgrades. I currently have 18m.

So how much does a good set of gear cost, people talk about being able to farm Act 3 with 1m worth of gear and other people seem to have a similar issue as I do, in that any decent upgrade would cost half of our gold.

Deleted
    Peoples definition of "farm" is quite varying, some say they "farm" when they die plenty of times, I've got a mate who says he's farming Act III without deaths, forgot to mention that he takes eons chipping a champ pack away.
    I don't consider something on farm until I can safely obliterate the whole act with maybe a few deaths max, and those not because of affixes but delusions of grandeur and masspulling.

Prices are pretty insane atm. If you can your better off selling items you find on the RMAH and then using the money you make to buy items on the RMAH.

Or flip items between the RMAH/GAH and vice versa that are cost effective.

You need money to make money though and 18M is more than enough to start flipping items.

You should be able to clear the entire game pretty easy in a set worth 10M.

Quote Originally Posted by PowerGamez View Post
    You should be able to clear the entire game pretty easy in a set worth 10M.
    clearing a game and farming with few deaths is huge difference..I (and many people here) cleared inferno weeks ago with much worse gear but I can't say I'm farming act3 comfortably without deaths in way better gear

The Unstoppable Force Resentful's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    The economy is pretty much in shambles, Gold in inflated into the very core and It's pretty much impossible to recover from it. Prices are pretty much for ''Good'' gear is within millions and such.

Deleted
    It depends what you think of as "good" items, you can get gear good enough to clear entire inferno for a few million, depending on what you're looking for and for what class you're looking for gear. "Decent" items are often dropping in price and the "best" items are rising in price, reason for this is that there's so many able to farm in the later acts now, and even with pretty good chances of getting "decent" items in act 1 & 2 aswell, but getting a really REALLY good item is still a very low chance because you need to get so many things right on the item for it to be "omgwtfawesome150million".

So to clarify: You can get "good enough" set of gear to clear inferno for a few million in total, but if you're looking into maxing you're looking to get gear so you can roflstomp everything, you'll have to spend very high number of gold.

currently "close to best" in slot items are 50mil+/item, 200mil+/weapon [EU]

Pandaren Monk
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by -Apathy- View Post
    The economy is pretty much in shambles, Gold in inflated into the very core and It's pretty much impossible to recover from it. Prices are pretty much for ''Good'' gear is within millions and such.
    Well, that's what happens when there are no gold sinks other than 1) the AH, and 2) crafting, and 3) minor repair costs. Considering that most people don't bother with 2) to any great degree and 3) was unnerfed recently, the gold AH will continue to get more and more inflated.

The middle ground gear is dirt cheap now and getting cheaper. I see items now that a month ago brought 300-500k going for less than 40k.

You can easily get Act 3 ready gear in a good budget. The really "good" gear though has had its prices skyrocket to the 100 millions or even billions.
    It is near impossible to win a bid war on good gear either over the last week between my wife and I we have lost 15 bids at the last second usually by 100k or less.
    I am sure these items are being reposted at enormous amounts too.

The RMAH isnt any better though tbh. Outside of weapons It is a buyers market if you have a decent balance, great gear going for 1.50 to 2 bucks. Selling on the RMAH is harder than the gold imo.

---------- Post added 2012-07-11 at 12:34 PM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by FathomFear View Post
    Well, that's what happens when there are no gold sinks other than 1) the AH, and 2) crafting, and 3) minor repair costs. Considering that most people don't bother with 2) to any great degree and 3) was unnerfed recently, the gold AH will continue to get more and more inflated.
    This is a huge issue, repair costs are in a good spot as far as Im concerned, there needs to be some other type of gold sink.

Gems are a huge sink on a per unit basis but, not all gear has gem slots.

The game is in trouble, and the blue response I have seen don't bode well.

The Unstoppable Force Resentful's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by jearle View Post
    The middle ground gear is dirt cheap now and getting cheaper. I see items now that a month ago brought 300-500k going for less than 40k.

You can easily get Act 3 ready gear in a good budget. The really "good" gear though has had its prices skyrocket to the 100 millions or even billions.
    It is near impossible to win a bid war on good gear either over the last week between my wife and I we have lost 15 bids at the last second usually by 100k or less.
    I am sure these items are being reposted at enormous amounts too.

The RMAH isnt any better though tbh. Outside of weapons It is a buyers market if you have a decent balance, great gear going for 1.50 to 2 bucks. Selling on the RMAH is harder than the gold imo.

---------- Post added 2012-07-11 at 12:34 PM ----------

This is a huge issue, repair costs are in a good spot as far as Im concerned, there needs to be some other type of gold sink.

Gems are a huge sink on a per unit basis but, not all gear has gem slots.

The game is in trouble, and the blue response I have seen don't bode well.
    RMAH is the top priority on there side really, Not much to tell about it. Every time X sells or X buys; They gain profit

Gold AH is nothing more then trash lol

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by FathomFear View Post
    More likely it's because of botters, who are injecting billions of excess gold into the economy. If they weren't, the gold you can farm, vendor and salvage alone would be in a pretty decent ratio to the current gold sinks in the game, but it isn't. No gold sink in the universe is going to drain enough gold from the economy as there current is, and even if there was, it would hurt the poor players way harder than the rich. Sure they'd lose a lot but the poor would go bankrupt so fast it isn't even funny.

Like the man said, it's almost impossible recover from at this stage. It's just simply too messed up fix anymore and you can pretty much blame it on Blizzard's decision of inaction. But then again, why would they? While gold devalues, real world currency doesn't. So as the GAH continues to decline, you will see more and more people utilizing the RMAH, which is an absolute win-win on Blizzard's part.

Prices for most really good items are pants-on-head retarded at this point.

Having said that, you can find very infrequent deals on perfectly serviceable gear. Folks who claim they're clearing act X with only X amount invested are either extremely lucky with their own drops, or got equally lucky scouring the AH.

10+ Year Old Account
    what melodramocracy said
    and yea Dannyl, fucking bots

Deleted
    ya you can get average act 3 inferno gear for very low prices. the problem is upgrading these items if you are having trouble in your current gear. the price gap between average and awesome and then to BiS is insane.

an average item can be anywhere from 40-100k which is easily obtainable for anybody. awesome items can be anywhere from 1-10m but they have only marginally better stats than the previous tier. upgrading just one average piece to an awesome item for this price almost seems pointless as you need more than a few to make a noticeable stat difference. then BiS is on another level with prices being anywhere from 50m-300m and even these aren't truly BiS. they are the BiS for what is on sale at the current time and there will always be upgrades sometime or another.

personally i've given up trying to gear my character. i'd say most of his items are in the awesome category and to pay such a greater price for so little stats seems insane to me and it's really not worth the time.

Quote Originally Posted by melodramocracy View Post
    Prices for most really good items are pants-on-head retarded at this point.

Having said that, you can find very infrequent deals on perfectly serviceable gear. Folks who claim they're clearing act X with only X amount invested are either extremely lucky with their own drops, or got equally lucky scouring the AH.
    You can buy mid quality gear dirt cheap, and it's more than good enough to smash act 3/4. Especially on a barbarian or monk.
    Last edited by Shmeh; 2012-07-11 at 06:31 PM.

Maybe its not the answer you are looking for, but im having good results in act3 and 4 by changing talents instead of complaining of lack of gear (wich I also do a lot tbh, havent been able to buy anything good for gold for weeks).
    From what I have seen, "glass cannon" builds have huge troubles in those acts without tons of gear, you cant just burst something that one/two shots you. With like 5million you can buy a decent melee wizard or blizzard/hydra set, you might have better results with that.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Dannyl View Post
    Like the man said, it's almost impossible recover from at this stage. It's just simply too messed up fix anymore and you can pretty much blame it on Blizzard's decision of inaction. But then again, why would they? While gold devalues, real world currency doesn't. So as the GAH continues to decline, you will see more and more people utilizing the RMAH, which is an absolute win-win on Blizzard's part.
    Not really, EU RMAH is dead.

Quote Originally Posted by Sznur View Post
    US RMAH is pretty dead, as well. I throw things on there from time to time massively undercutting anything similar that's listed and no bites at all.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by SamR View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Sznur View Post
    US RMAH is pretty dead, as well. I throw things on there from time to time massively undercutting anything similar that's listed and no bites at all.
    That's all really weird because you can hear people talking about stuff all the time, how much they've sold, how much they've bought, etc. Someone is obviously using it.

I'm still selling stuff on the RMAH. All my sales (both GAH and RMAH) have dropped to about 10% of what they were a month ago though. I tend to post stuff on the RMAH with no max buy out and just a moderately low starting bid (maybe 1/2 to 2/3 of the price i'm actually after).