View Poll Results: What should be the punishment for a police officer brutally assaulting a civilian?

Voters
72. This poll is closed
  • The animal should be put in jail for life

22 30.56%
  • Should be fired

14 19.44%
  • Nothing he's just doing his job

10 13.89%
  • He should retrieve a medal

26 36.11%
Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ...
LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by lachlaan View Post
    Let's see if i can find 5 cases online. Not necessarily of taser-related incidents, but just police brutality in general. First one is one i remember pretty well from a while back, old veteran calls police for medical assistence and ends up dead.

http://www.democracynow.org/2012/3/2...hite_plains_ny

Aaand a nice collection of incidences added to that. http://www.policebrutality.info/tag/police-murder

Aaand then http://www.policebrutality.info/cate...olice-violence to spice it up. Plenty of articles in there to read :P Enjoy trying to dismiss them all. The thing is, this shouldn't be a debate about wether it happens often enough, too often, or acceptably often. It should not happen at all. There is an entire system in place meant to pick sane people for this job, train them to be able to handle all the stuff the job throws at them, and still keep their cool. The fact that any amount of incidents of police brutality take place is just unacceptable, and unless people accept that it's happening, and voice their discontent with that, then it'll keep happening. There's psychiatrist and psychologists out there out of a job when there's cops out there that really need their heads examined. All the while your government's funneling money into already rich corporations and their own pockets, while the "system" , and i mean any system really, sits there, less than what it could be. Police force? Cops can keep their mental health in check on their own, kkthxbye. Healthcare? What even? ... School system? ... As if they need more funds, all you need to learn is a grown up and a kid, books are for noobs. :P I could go on but I don't want to use all my sarcasm in one day.

Oh and just because I quoted ShamanTank doesn't mean the wall of text was directed at him Just generally at people dismissing this thread as trololol, cops never mess up :P
    Your source is a propaganda website with articles that don't have any actual sources?
    No one is claiming cops never mess up.
    But the majority of the anti-police posts in this thread are "Hurr Durr cops are pigs, viva la revolution" that bring no evidence to back up their claims.

Quote Originally Posted by Ailozh View Post
    The amount of police lovers who think police are above all and everything else is sickening. What would you say if a police officer brutally beat up one of your family members? Still praise them as gods?
    The amount of police haters who think police are the scum of the Earth is sickening. What would you say if a police officer risked his own life to save your butt from a piece of trash that was going to kill you. Would you still condemn them as scum?

Idk about the states, but here in sweden the cops are very friendly They usually come by my school to just chit-chat a bit and take a coffe :P

10+ Year Old Account
    Young Turks usually has something stupid to say about everything I see them bring up.

Their rant on tazer use is ridiculous for one. Tazers did not to that to his face. This man was beaten to death and smashed to death by some 300 pound fat slob sitting on him, not tazed to death. Tazers, to the contrary, save lives.

Quote Originally Posted by lachlaan View Post
    Oh and just because I quoted ShamanTank doesn't mean the wall of text was directed at him Just generally at people dismissing this thread as trololol, cops never mess up :P
    Of course cops mess up. Condemning the whole police force over the actions or mistakes of a few is the problem.

10+ Year Old Account
    Some thing I never understood. A criminal would do a crime and they QQ and say the police hurt him... and the Media will be like OMG THIS OFFICER IS BEING TO AGGRESSIVE?!!? Why don't people just not break the law..

Quote Originally Posted by Dairyking101 View Post
    Some thing I never understood. A criminal would do a crime and they QQ and say the police hurt him... and the Media will be like OMG THIS OFFICER IS BEING TO AGGRESSIVE?!!? Why don't people just not break the law..
    Not defending the OP in any way, shape, or form, but your scenario is not always the case.

Sometimes, the police overreact and become too aggressive against a minor offender.

There are documented cases of outright police brutality against perfectly innocent citizens.

Other times, yes, the media does seize on the police brutality bent in a situation where the force used was necessary.

It's not clear-cut either way. I do lean more towards believing the cops are trying to do their job as best they can, rather than they are just violent thugs out for a good time. Doesn't mean there aren't thuggish cops.

3DS Friend Code: 0146-9205-4817. Could show as either Chris or Chrysia.

Quote Originally Posted by Ailozh View Post
    You're so ignorant man, just stop making posts and making yourself look like a complete fool. And I knew you were a police wannabe thug. I have absolutely no respect for people like you with such narrowminded views like you. That you can defend police officers brutalizing civilians is just sickening. I hope you never get your badge. NEVER.

And yes I have done way more to the community compared to you, I'm actually helping people unlike you who's training to become just another thug.

Infracted: Please, refrain from getting too personal.
    You should take a step back, take a deep breath and reread what your typing.

You state that he has a narrow minded view because he believes in what he is doing, that a majority of police officers do the right thing and are not thugs but law enforcement agents who when given a choice, will do the right thing.

Your response is that he is narrow minded and that ALL police officers are thugs, which ironically is a more narrow minded view than the statement you are replying to.
    While I in no way agree with your statements, you should really broaden your thought process if you want to make a convincing argument that supports your statement.

I am a combat medic.

Edit: anyone find it ironic also that the post next to this one is: Man Beats Female Cop ?

Quote Originally Posted by Ozzy1346 View Post
    Thank you for serving your community and keeping people safe. people like the OP are ridiculous in thinking police are evil. the second the OP's car is stolen or gets mugged the police will become his hero. but till then, they are the villain in his mind

If he gets mugged there likely will not be a cop anywhere around because they will be off writing traffic tickets or trying to pick up women.

The real problem with police today is the transition of the job from 'protect and serve' to 'revenue collector'. Police used to be about helping people. Now it is about writing tickets and crapping all over everyones day. This builds up resentment. Now instead of changing someones tire on the side of the road or helping get a cat out of the tree or unlocking someones car door, they are sitting on the side of the road running radar or shooting cats out of the tree.

Too little police resources are devoted towards actual crime. Now its about shaking people down for money for the state. Policy needs to change first. The police in this country are becoming a major problem.

Police corruption certainly exists, it just depends on the type of officer. Small town cops, corrupt as hell. Sheriffs, 50/50. State troopers seem to be better than city cops. Just how I see things.

The video proof isnt good for the police if you watch the 33min video. I dont see how they arent charged as felons. There is no reason the police should be policing themselves, this is the source of corruption. They have zero accountability.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by GrimDesign View Post
    Edit: anyone find it ironic also that the post next to this one is: Man Beats Female Cop ?
    Not really. He started that thread too.

Quote Originally Posted by mittacc View Post
    Idk about the states, but here in sweden the cops are very friendly They usually come by my school to just chit-chat a bit and take a coffe :P
    Well sadly the USA is morphing into a police state Corporatocracy. As corporations seize more control of our govt they will use the police to control the masses. We are already seeing this.

---------- Post added 2012-07-22 at 08:51 PM ----------

you think this is rare? HA. This is going on to this day. Everywhere. The police today are nothing more than pirates

http://articles.cnn.com/2009-05-05/j...ty?_s=PM:CRIME
    Last edited by fletchdwb; 2012-07-22 at 08:51 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Sayl View Post
    Not really. He started that thread too.
    I am pretty confused then. On one hand he states that Police are becoming more aggressive and corrupt and on the other hand he gives an example of a police officer being savagely beaten down but complaining about the sentence.

actually no never mind, that makes perfect sense ( in that I strongly disagree with this guys thought process)

10+ Year Old Account
    Police brutality is sadly one of the harder things to stop. Most of the time courts end up siding with the police and if you try to challenge their authority they end up getting pissy and make your life hell.

15+ Year Old Account
    As far as the poll goes, I'm not voting because my response depends entirely on the situation.

As far as the POST goes, there isn't an "increase" in police brutality. There is, however, an increase in media coverage whenever a police officer does anything to a suspect (and note the use of the word SUSPECT...not civilian, not person, this is a person suspected of breaking a law). Like the cop in California who shot and killed a crazy teenage girl who tried to rob a bank, then attempted to come at police with a knife. And people wanted him in JAIL...for DOING HIS JOB.

With all the garbage police officers have to deal with on a daily basis....underpaid, overworked, and incredibly disrespected...I don't blame them for playing the "use force" card to bring down suspects faster than they may normally. Screw that thug, what did he do to deserve an extra three warnings to get down on the ground? I'd taser his ass AND kick him in the nuts. So he just got lucky it wasn't me.
    Fenixdown (retail) : level 60 priest. 2005-2015, 2022-???? (returned!)
    Fenixdown (classic) : level 70 priest. 2019 - present

Quote Originally Posted by Lora View Post
    Police brutality is sadly one of the harder things to stop. Most of the time courts end up siding with the police and if you try to challenge their authority they end up getting pissy and make your life hell.
    ding ding we have a winner. Until we remove the judicial protection police get from judges, you cannot expect fair decisions in court. The only good technology is bringing to law enforcement angle is eventual shoulder cams and mics where we can hear and see everything from the time the officer enters a situation.

But what we really need to do is break up and destroy the police unions. There should not be a union for law enforcement. The irony is most officers complain about liberals yet they hide behind their union. Go figure. Hypocrites.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by The EagleOwl Mage View Post
    Cops do mess up, that is not a vlid reason to generalize and hate them all. Some teachers sexually assault their students, does that mean we should hate all teachers and assume they will all do the same and abuse the power given to them?
    I don't hate them all, I distinctly said in my post that I wish for the police, in general, to get better services. I'm sure being a cop is very stressful, and with stress comes the chance for people to snap, which isn't necessarily their fault. Sure, some might have a predisposition for ... tasering innocent people, but I seriously doubt all the cases of police brutality were caused by cops secretly being assholes. I'd like to think that most of the time it's just a case of ill-prepared officers of the law, under more stress than they need to be at that particular moment, who just lose it, and go into defensive-aggressive mode. Stress kicks in our survival instincts, and rationality is one of the first to go sadly. Right, let me just re-affirm that I do in fact believe that police officers are the good guys It's just sad to see police brutality happen at all, and that's what should be discussed in this thread, not wether or not it's on the rise. Because obviously, if police brutality occurances maintain a steady rate, then that means the OP is wrong, since it's not on the rise! AHA! .. but .. not really o.o That's like someone afirming that some other brutal, horrible act is happening more often, and the only thing people can say is that the OP is wrong, rather than supporting the stance that it is horrible for said act to take place, ever.

15+ Year Old Account
    How is this thread still open?
    Quote Originally Posted by Ulqiorra View Post
    If you equate playing WoW to having electricity, I feel very, very happy for the rest of the world, as that kind of thinking will, inevitably, lead to the eradication of your seed from the gene pool.
    WoW Toons: Duskwind (retired)/Duskrime (retired)
    Diablo 3 Profile

Quote Originally Posted by Duskster View Post
    How is this thread still open?
    Yes lets close it. Continue the American way of censorship talk we do not care for. God this country has really gone to hell.