Page 1 of 2
LastLast
    Deleted

Affliction AoE problems!!!

Hello guys - recently i leveled at warlock, just right before patch 5.0.4 hit.
    - Many have told me that affli is the spec to go (I play PvE) my ilvl is 374 and doing around 20-21k dps on dummy.
    Though when i join a dungeon, i have no idea how to AoE. I use soulburn+seed on one target and then RoF so it explodes. Now... this brings me to around 12-15k dps which is totally ridiculous..
    So, i would be appriciated if u have any tips or tricks to tell me.

Ripfull.

1. Soulburn seed
    2. Harvest life

Win. Btw destro is better if you play it right.

If you wanna go affli make sure to pick harvest life and grimoire of sacrifice and reforge mastery.
    For Destro go with soul leech and pick grimoire of supremacy and go with haste.

10+ Year Old Account
    Depends how many targets there are, in a regular heroic I Soulburn+Soul Swap and continue until I have all the mobs dotted. Seems to work out just fine, if there is anywhere between 2-6 mobs. Anything more and I just Soulburn+Seed of Corruption then Harvest Life spam.

As people have said i SB+seed but if there is only... Let say 3 i just Agony and Corruption and then harvest life
    "Prepare for the unknown by studying how others in the past have coped with the unforeseeable and the unpredictable."
    "If everyone is thinking alike, then somebody isn't thinking."

General George S Patton

If its 1-4 mobs just Soulburn soul swap dots on all of them and spam harvest life. If its more than 10 mobs just SB Seed and spam HL.

Seems like u should use ur dual specc, aka have a destro demo or afli build spessified for AOe problem solved

" A single dream is more powerful than a thousand realities "

Does it not seem wrong to anyone that, in order to do good AoE DPS, you have to talent for it?

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Abominatus View Post
    Does it not seem wrong to anyone that, in order to do good AoE DPS, you have to talent for it?
    Affliction aoe dps is okayish-good, its burst isn't.

why harvest life if rain of fire does more damage O.o
    Quote Originally Posted by adam86shadow View Post
    I hear people say bring War back to World of Warcraft, well how about bringing World back to World of Warcraft

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by hellhamster View Post
    Affliction aoe dps is okayish-good, its burst isn't.
    Have you even played Affliction since 5.0.4? One thing you can't say about Affliction is its lack of burst.

Deleted
    uhm, okay - so i got the SB+SS which actually worked out pretty good on 3 targets.
    - Though havent tried SB+Seed and HL - so my question is, do u only use Seed once and then just harvest life??

10+ Year Old Account
    Talking about aoe, there is no way you can say that you can aoe hard within the first 5 seconds as Affliction, Madness excluded.

Quote Originally Posted by Daedelus View Post
    Have you even played Affliction since 5.0.4? One thing you can't say about Affliction is its lack of burst.
    I agree, I bursted 66k dps on the final boss of the end time dungeon (the one screaming THERE IS ONLY POWAH!!!!) with no 4pc bonus and only raidfinder gear and wep (no flask no foodbuff). The burst on afflic locks makes me think we are going to get nerfed (Haunt).

You don't need to talent into harvest life. For a trash pack that's going to live for more than 10 or 15 seconds, just tab target + seed onto a bunch of mobs, then soulburn soulswap your dots onto one of them and possibly malific grasp it to blow up the seed on that target and cause a chain reaction of seed explosions. There's plenty of aoe burst.

If mobs are living for less than 10 seconds, dps on them doesn't really matter anyway.

On packs of 3 or 4 (e.g. yor'sahj trash), I found soulburn soulwapping dots onto each, then tabbing and seeding each target was higher dps than soul harvesting.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by DenniZ View Post
    I agree, I bursted 66k dps on the final boss of the end time dungeon (the one screaming THERE IS ONLY POWAH!!!!) with no 4pc bonus and only raidfinder gear and wep (no flask no foodbuff). The burst on afflic locks makes me think we are going to get nerfed (Haunt).
    We're talking about AoE burst here; affliction does not have AoE burst

Quote Originally Posted by ananoon View Post
    If mobs are living for less than 10 seconds, dps on them doesn't really matter anyway.
    This statement is incredibly false.

10+ Year Old Account
    Blizzard does not expect every spec within a class to have equal potential against non-patchwerk encounters.

Demonology and Destruction both vastly outmatch Affliction in true AoE (FnB Immolate/RoF/FnB Incinerate or hand of Gul'dan/Hellfire/Immolation Aura/Void Ray/Felstorm), or burst AoE (FnB Conflagrate and Chaos Wave for example), but Affliction is still king of sustain multi-DoT.
    Last edited by Grubjuice; 2012-09-11 at 08:25 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Grubjuice View Post
    Blizzard does not expect every spec within a class to have equal potential against non-patchwerk encounters.

Demonology and Destruction both vastly outmatch Affliction in true AoE (FnB Immolate/RoF/FnB Incinerate or hand of Gul'dan/Hellfire/Immolation Aura/Void Ray/Felstorm), or burst AoE (FnB Conflagrate and Chaos Wave for example), but Affliction is still king of sustain multi-DoT.
    Nor do we. But afflictions aoe burst damage (aoe on targets that have to die in 5-10s) is 50% (or less) of other spec/classes. The difference should not be that large. If its not as good, fine. Does 20% less, fine. Absolutely abysmal, not fine.

Aff AoE is bad.. but its not that bad. The most effective way i've found to sustain any okayish AoE is to SB:SW x3 targets and use the last shard to SB:SoC on the mobs with dots rolling on them, and then seed the other two and rotate between the 3 with seeds. This will yield enough sustained AE to at least keep up with some of the other classes. No matter what you do our AE takes up considerable ramp up time so this method is best on 5+ targets with a generous health pool. For mob packs that have very little health; SB:SoC and Harvest Life, like others have said.

Quote Originally Posted by Mindcrime View Post
    Aff AoE is bad.. but its not that bad. The most effective way i've found to sustain any okayish AoE is to SB:SW x3 targets and use the last shard to SB:SoC on the mobs with dots rolling on them, and then seed the other two and rotate between the 3 with seeds. This will yield enough sustained AE to at least keep up with some of the other classes. No matter what you do our AE takes up considerable ramp up time so this method is best on 5+ targets with a generous health pool. For mob packs that have very little health; SB:SoC and Harvest Life, like others have said.
    My point was that we (affliction) should naturally be able to do decent(ish) damage on adds that need to die quickly without having to talent for it. It's too fundamental a game mechanic to not be able to do so. For those fights HL will not be just a nice to have but an absolute necessity. No talent should be that way.

Making HL baseline and making the talent add the healing effect to HL would solve it. That would also allow the possibility of spec specific damage tuning by, for example, making afflictions mastery affect it.