Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ...
LastLast
    10+ Year Old Account
    Is it his fault the phone got stolen? No.

Is it his fault he's getting charged that much? Yes.

He could have VERY easily prevented it, regardless of 'theft'. Even if the phone was stolen, its still HIS RESPONSIBILITY TO DEAL WITH IT.

Quote Originally Posted by chazus View Post
    Is it his fault the phone got stolen? No.

Is it his fault he's getting charged that much? Yes.

He could have VERY easily prevented it, regardless of 'theft'. Even if the phone was stolen, its still HIS RESPONSIBILITY TO DEAL WITH IT.
    Except it's not his fault. The fault lies with whoever is charging the phone. Saying "deal with it" does not make you correct.

Quote Originally Posted by Howdyho View Post
    People seriously need to stop blaming the victim and actually try to help and not give the snide comments.
    Some people already have...like "get a lawyer"

Where is your helping contribution?

No snide remarks ? Are you new to forums and the internet ?

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Bergtau View Post
    So you blame victims of criminals instead of criminals for the crimes?

The person to blame is the person who accrued the charges. Criminals aren't a force of nature. They are people who make decisions.
    No I blame the criminal who stole the phone for racking up the charges. There is no way to argue that it was his fault that the criminal stole his phone.

All I am saying is that his lack of a reaction, to the criminal stealing his phone, caused this bill to be so high.

Except it's not his fault. The fault lies with whoever is charging the phone. Saying "deal with it" does not make you correct.
    It's his fault for not reporting the phone stolen in the first place. He wouldn't be liable for any charges had he done so.

Stop trying to absolve him of any personal responsibility in the matter.

Quote Originally Posted by Torq View Post
    It's his fault for not reporting the phone stolen in the first place. He wouldn't be liable for any charges had he done so.

Stop trying to absolve him of any personal responsibility in the matter.
    I'm not trying to absolve him of personal responsibility, I'm saying that it's not his fault that a criminal action occurred.

10+ Year Old Account
    Being a victim does not absolve responsibility.

If a guy comes up to me and stabs me, and walks off, I'm not going to sit around bleeding, expecting someone to catch him, and make sure he gets me to a hospital and pay my bills. I'm a victim, yes it sucks, but that doesn't mean I can't, or shouldn't DO something to prevent further harm.

---------- Post added 2012-09-11 at 12:32 PM ----------

I'm not trying to absolve him of personal responsibility, I'm saying that it's not his fault that a criminal action occurred.
    The criminal action is theft. That is not his fault.

However, technically, I dont think there's any 'crime' involved in someone using his phone. He could have prevented that. THAT is his fault. He is a victim of phone theft, not excessive charges.

What the guy above me said. He's a victim, sure, but he also didn't do something that he should have done. You're attempting to blame the criminal for the victim's negligence.

10+ Year Old Account

If a guy comes up to me and stabs me, and walks off, I'm not going to sit around bleeding, expecting someone to catch him, and make sure he gets me to a hospital and pay my bills. I'm a victim, yes it sucks, but that doesn't mean I can't, or shouldn't DO something to prevent further harm.
    To add to that, if no one reports the crime how is the criminal going to be punished?

If you are stabbed and don't go to a hospital or seek help and you die, he is still a murderer.

Quote Originally Posted by smegdawg View Post
    To add to that, if no one reports the crime how is the criminal going to be punished?
    Never said anything about reporting it not being the right thing to do in the situation.

It is his fault, and its the thiefs fault. He is liable for any charges the thief racks up since he didn't report it stolen. He does have to deal with it.
    Quote Originally Posted by Elrandir View Post
    My starfall brings all the mobs to the yard.
    Laurellen - Druid Smiteyou - lol holy dps

Quote Originally Posted by gamingmuscle View Post
    It is his fault, and its the thiefs fault. He is liable for any charges the thief racks up since he didn't report it stolen. He does have to deal with it.
    The "deal with it" part was me misreading and omitting the "to". It appeared, to me, as if he was just angrily posting "DEAL WITH IT".

10+ Year Old Account
    Never said anything about reporting it not being the right thing to do in the situation.
    And no one here said that the person who stole his phone is not a criminal.

10+ Year Old Account
    Per his contract, it is his LEGAL RESPONSIBILITY to act accordingly if the phone is stolen.

The charges are his fault. Period.

EDIT: Lets say those charge were rung up overnight. If he had reported it, they would have written it off no problem. He didn't. He violated his contract. Done deal.

The "deal with it" part was me misreading and omitting the "to". It appeared, to me, as if he was just angrily posting "DEAL WITH IT".
    I gathered that, but you were absolving him for the charges. It is not entirely his fault the phone was stolen, but it is his fault that the thief was able to make these charges. If he had reported it stolen the phone would have been de-activated or at the very least a clear paper trail showing his innocence. But he didn't do that.
    Quote Originally Posted by Elrandir View Post
    My starfall brings all the mobs to the yard.
    Laurellen - Druid Smiteyou - lol holy dps

His fault for not reporting it stolen, stop being sloppy and pay the bill.

The other guy/girl on the other end of the phone isnt gonna kill you when you call.

Haha, 11k pounds...holly gut, that girl must be the biggest text-freak ever. Her fingers are so fast moving she text faster than she talks.

No really, how the hell do you spend elleventhousands f...ing pounds inn one month?! She must really have had some mature phoning and texting going on.

For the OP, I cant say I'm sorry for you're friend. I mean, if it was his one-night stand that took it...whew...whew, maybe he should consider who he picks up. And ofcourse treat a mobile as stolen the first day
    Youtube channel: https://www.youtube.com/c/djuntas ARPG - RTS - MMO

Deleted
    Stealing a phone is a criminal act, as is the unauthorized use of the telephone network, and the thief will be liable for all costs incurred plus compensation to the phone owner and the phone company.

Firstly the account holder needs to report the theft of the phone to the police and give all the details he can about the girl suspected of taking it. After doing this he will be given a crime reference number, which he can pass on both to his insurance company (if he had phone insurance) and to the mobile phone company itself. It is highly likely that considering the amount involved, the phone company will issue court proceedings against the girl themselves as she has used their network without authorization.

He should then instruct a solicitor to take the matter to court or ask his insurance company to do so. The phone company will be required to cooperate with both the police and the court by providing all pertinent details such as times of calls, location the calls were made from and whom to. All of these details can be used to help prove that the accused girl was guilty of both crimes.

10+ Year Old Account
    Is he on a contract?

Why the hell would he not lock it if it was?

If he's under contract, it's his own fault. He will be very lucky if he doesn't have to pay it. If he can somehow prove it was stolen, it may help. I'm baffled as to why you wouldn't report it though, is your friend a bit stupid?

If you're not on a contract, I've no idea how you can rack up a bill.

---------- Post added 2012-09-11 at 09:15 PM ----------

It is his fault though.

If your phone is stolen and you don't report it, you are the one left responsible to pay the phone bill.

It's a tough lesson for this guy, but he was dumb not to report it.

Quote Originally Posted by Korbany View Post
    Stealing a phone is a criminal act, as is the unauthorized use of the telephone network, and the thief will be liable for all costs incurred plus compensation to the phone owner and the phone company.

Firstly the account holder needs to report the theft of the phone to the police and give all the details he can about the girl suspected of taking it. After doing this he will be given a crime reference number, which he can pass on both to his insurance company (if he had phone insurance) and to the mobile phone company itself. It is highly likely that considering the amount involved, the phone company will issue court proceedings against the girl themselves as she has used their network without authorization.

He should then instruct a solicitor to take the matter to court or ask his insurance company to do so. The phone company will be required to cooperate with both the police and the court by providing all pertinent details such as times of calls, location the calls were made from and whom to. All of these details can be used to help prove that the accused girl was guilty of both crimes.
    The problem is that even though all this would be the way to go about it, its all void because he never reported the phone stolen.