Page 1 of 2
LastLast

Realm First 90: Dungeons or Questing?

Looking for some advice on the subject of pursuing Realm First 90 as a Rogue with Legendaries (which should last me until Dread Wastes). What's going to be the faster road to 90 for me if I'm pursuing Realm First?

I'm in a rather casual guild and haven't been able to get anyone from my guild interested in joining me for the grind. While this makes getting it via questing a bit harder due to not being able to mass-pull mobs to complete quests faster, I've heard of many folks getting Server First Max Level questing solo (I believe Kripparrian is one of the more famous examples). Is this route viable for a class like a Rogue?

The other option is joining a cross-server group of folks that are literally going to spam dungeons for hours. While this is a little more monotonous, it plays more into the strength of a rogue with the new party-wide Shroud of Concealment that can help skip a couple of mob groups to get the instance done faster to get the main XP strength of instances out of the way sooner: the quests.

So that being said, which would be the more viable option for one chasing a Realm First 90 achievement? Instancing or Questing? Bear in mind that a hybrid approach really isn't possible because most cross-realm grinding groups pretty much require you to be dedicated to the dungeon grind from start to finish.

Dungeon xp seemed horrible on the beta, I'm planning on just questing all the way.

I made a fresh toon a few days ago on beta, and did a run of the first instance w/ no rested or perks - got about a bar and a half from the mobs/bosses, plus another half bar from the 2 quests; 2 bars total.
    Profanity is the inevitable linguistic crutch of the inarticulate mother%$#@er.
    -
    Jamboro: 110 SPriest, Jamb: 110 Blood DK, Jambori: 110 Prot. Warrior,Jambro: 110 Frost Mage, etc.

Quote Originally Posted by jamlol View Post
    Dungeon xp seemed horrible on the beta, I'm planning on just questing all the way.

I made a fresh toon a few days ago on beta, and did a run of the first instance w/ no rested or perks - got about a bar and a half from the mobs/bosses, plus another half bar from the 2 quests; 2 bars total.
    Well, how long did it took you to finish the instance?

Deleted
    85-86 I think dungeons will be faster if high pop server, if your group is BIS gear then 86 in dungeons will probably be faster aswell. At 87 is becomes pretty unclear. People that say questing is faster haven't done it when there were 20+ other people doing it aswell. It's all about getting to head of the pack, so you don't have to quest with others really.

If you're on a low pop server just quest off the bat to 86 80% and do a dungeon run of each dungeon to finish the quests to get 87.

Questing is ALWAYS better. If you have some competent RealID friends, it might be wise to queue up for each dungeon once to complete the dungeon quests, but only if you're certain it will be a rather quick run. Otherwise, keep questing. The goal is to get started quickly and get out of the overcrowded quest hubs ASAP and ahead of the pack.

Quote Originally Posted by Mokal View Post
    Well, how long did it took you to finish the instance?
    about 30-40 min.

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Stormgnoef View Post
    about 30-40 min.
    how does it take you that long?

but even doing them in 10-15mins the xp is still less then questing

Quote Originally Posted by cyqu View Post
    how does it take you that long?

but even doing them in 10-15mins the xp is still less then questing
    I don't know about that. Queuing with 5 people is a 40% mob dungeon XP increase, by average you should be getting 1 million XP per run, give or take a little bit, with 5 fully competent geared players it should be faster then questing(and fighting for mobs/items against other players) 85-87. Everything beyond that, questing will be faster.

From what I've done on beta and what kink said dungeoning 85-87 is way faster than questing all the way because with scaled gear on beta we were clearing the dungeons in no longer than 12 minutes and on live we'll all be 406 ilvl+ instead of 370 ilvl so that will just make the runs even faster + add in battle standards for 15% more exp from mobs and all that jazz.

We plan to chain pull entire dungeons with cds/flasks/pots on at all times while available all using aoe trinkets/weapons even me as the warrior tank will be in dps gear > my tank gear so we should be finishing dungeons in roughly 5-8 minutes each.

Quote Originally Posted by Draconess View Post
    From what I've done on beta and what kink said dungeoning 85-87 is way faster than questing all the way because with scaled gear on beta we were clearing the dungeons in no longer than 12 minutes and on live we'll all be 406 ilvl+ instead of 370 ilvl so that will just make the runs even faster + add in battle standards for 15% more exp from mobs and all that jazz.

We plan to chain pull entire dungeons with cds/flasks/pots on at all times while available all using aoe trinkets/weapons even me as the warrior tank will be in dps gear > my tank gear so we should be finishing dungeons in roughly 5-8 minutes each.
    You'll still be limited by the 5 instances an hour limit, which means you'd end up doing quests in downtime anyway.
    Problem with that is that after 40minutes of you running instances the starting zones will become more and more crowded, which makes questing less efficient.
    Questing at the start means you'll pull away from the pack atleast.

If you random queue for dungeons you don't get that 5 dungeons per hour limit

If you random queue for dungeons you don't get that 5 dungeons per hour limit
    Yea this, you only get that set back when you specifically queue for dungeons or go to them physically and reset again and again. I'm not doubting you can easily quest and do just fine, but it all depends on your playing style and if your realm is populated or not, when coordinating everything with banners, the group XP bonus and efficiency dungeoning to 86-87 is just easier/faster when done right.
    Last edited by Kink; 2012-09-23 at 12:03 AM.

while I'm not sure from my experience questing is always better than dungeon grinding unless you have boas. there are no 85-90 boas so I'd say questing. but that also depends on your server population it might be better to just grind dungeons to 86 as quick as possible like you said then start questing while people are still around 80% into 85

With the new CRZ thing blizz added all realms r very populated by the other realms so questing in this xpac will be much slower than in previous xpacs no matter what server you play on, so if i can dungeon my way to 87 in roughly 3 hours and skip questing in jade forest and valley of the four winds I will because those zones for the first probably 5-6 hours are going to be packed full of players where as dungeons I can sit in Org or work my way over to kun-lai to start questing as soon as i hit 87

Deleted
    Questing is faster without a doubt, if you can get ahead of the crowd.. Which the server first obviously will

With the new CRZ thing blizz added all realms r very populated by the other realms so questing in this xpac will be much slower than in previous xpacs no matter what server you play on, so if i can dungeon my way to 87 in roughly 3 hours and skip questing in jade forest and valley of the four winds I will because those zones for the first probably 5-6 hours are going to be packed full of players where as dungeons I can sit in Org or work my way over to kun-lai to start questing as soon as i hit 87
    There is no CRZ in MoP zones, so don't worry about it

From my personal experience on the beta I noticed that instance EXP was not nearly enough as question. For almost any expansion questing will be the fastest and most efficient way for that grind. Fill your quest log with daily quests. Turn them in, and then hit the Panda zones! Good luck with your grind!

Deleted
    Moin moin,

so you can´t do more dungoen than 5 even with the dungon finde ???
    are you sure about that

your,
    Holy

Quote Originally Posted by Mosotti View Post
    There is no CRZ in MoP zones, so don't worry about it
    Whoa wait what, is that confirmed?
    If so, I might actually buy the game when it comes out then. I was worried it would get ridiculously populated with my server's population and CRZ.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by lunarath View Post
    Questing is faster without a doubt, if you can get ahead of the crowd.. Which the server first obviously will
    Servers like mine (Outland) wil be so overcrowded it's not even funny
    I thought I did, but apparently I don't

If you die you die but if you don't die you still die.