View Poll Results: How many subs will be cancelled by the end of MoP?

Voters
1131. This poll is closed
  • 0 people will have canceled

316 27.94%
  • Less than 500,000

223 19.72%
  • 500,000 - 1,000,000

188 16.62%
  • 1,000,001 - 2,000,000

156 13.79%
  • 2,000,001 - 3,000,000

90 7.96%
  • More than 3,000,000

158 13.97%
Page 6 of 15 FirstFirst ...
... LastLast
    I'm on the fence. This is just personal experience but from the folks I know (including myself), many are still unsubbed and waiting to see if MoP is any good. Not looking at how many copies are sold or BS reviews from puppet gaming mags, but actual reviews from players who are playing it. It looks cool right now but for me, resubbing depends on the depth of the content and the replayability. If I see people complaining about having nothing to do a month in, I'll likely stay away for good.

250k- 2 million. It depends if Mists turn out to be more like BC/Wrath or Catafailism.

Judging from the lack of interest I have seen in wow and for MoP I would say around 7.8 million around the last patch for MoP. 25 man raiding is dead, content is handed on a plate and pet battles are there for the tweens to enjoy for awhile.

A lot of people will probably come back for the expansion (hell, even I'm a little tempted, although I won't) and initially push numbers upwards (probably like 9.5 mil I guess). Some will eventually leave, but by the end of MoP I'd bet subs sit at around 8 million (depends a lot on time to next expansion, if there's another 4.3, that's bad). And of course, members of the media will act like this is a disaster and start throwing Free-to-Play rumors around, even though A) WoW is still the equivalent of an A.T.M. machine and B) having even a million subscriptions for an MMO used to be unheard of. WoW has much more than that.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Awakar View Post
    even though A) WoW is still the equivalent of an A.T.M. machine and B)
    And if it's constantly treated this way, it's never going to recover.

1-2 million. Lets hope not tho.

Edit: I don't understand how anyone (much less 124 people... so far) can vote for "0 people will have cancelled". There's bound to be at least one person who cancels at some point during MoP. Even if it was the best game of all time, there has to be someone, somewhere who cancels, for some reason. Maybe they're facing financial problems, and can't afford the sub, maybe they die in real life (it happens), maybe they just get bored, but there will be at least one cancellation. I just can't understand that kind of thinking, that not a single person would quit during an entire expansion, that has never been the case
    I think it's worded badly - that they think some people might quit but equal number will join so no loss or gain either way.

I voted for 0 lost. Even though I'm sure there will be lost subs - i foresee this expansion actually gaining subs and possibly putting wow into a new high point as far as total subs. Because for every person lost to this sub I believe there will be a 10-12 year old pokimon fan just gobbling up the features they introduced in MoP. This is exactly what a company does when it wants to keep it's game relavent with gamers, they cater to the "next generation" of gamer and what they like.

Quote Originally Posted by slime View Post
    I voted for 0 lost. Even though I'm sure there will be lost subs - i foresee this expansion actually gaining subs and possibly putting wow into a new high point as far as total subs. Because for every person lost to this sub I believe there will be a 10-12 year old pokimon fan just gobbling up the features they introduced in MoP. This is exactly what a company does when it wants to keep it's game relavent with gamers, they cater to the "next generation" of gamer and what they like.
    True out with old and in with the new. Obviously they respected the older generations intellect a lot more 8 years ago.

10+ Year Old Account
    Well, from my experience with Mists so far, going to have to say they're going to keep losing subscriptions.

An easy 1-2 Million before the inter-expansion lull. And then I'd safely say another million lost to boredom.

Quote Originally Posted by Conscious View Post
    Well, from my experience with Mists so far, going to have to say they're going to keep losing subscriptions.

An easy 1-2 Million before the inter-expansion lull. And then I'd safely say another million lost to boredom.
    And the world keeps on moving. Get over yourself.

Quote Originally Posted by slime View Post
    So what you are saying is that wow after 8 years and 4 expansions will become even bigger and have more than the record 12 million of early wrath?

You are very optimistic my friend.

10+ Year Old Account
    MOP is guaranteed to set a new record for subs. I expect over 15 million.
    @Ghostcrawler:Some advice: [My pet issue] is why there were sub losses is one of the weaker arguments players use. Players don't have that data.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Shadylol View Post
    Illogical

People have been saying they expect to see people return, or stay for Pandarians, since they announced it, almost a year ago. WoW continued to lose subscribers for the rest of Cataclysm, though. If these people expected to keep playing, they probably wouldn't have quit in the first place, with the next expansion right around the corner
    Your post is quite illogical considering that it's today the expansion got released. Why the heck would anyone want to play Cataclysm (especially months ahead of the next expansion) if they want to play MoP, unless they are already subscribed and playing the game?

There are plenty of people who leave games when they have run out of stuff they wish to do and then return when new content/expansions get released. I happen to be one of them.
    Last edited by Frozen Death Knight; 2012-09-25 at 06:05 PM.

Its gonna be hard to say for several weeks if Blizz will rise or fall, in Cata alot of people stuck with it for a few months and then started falling off. My vote and hopes are that Blizz has figured out what poeple didn't like about Cata and made strong enough adjustments that the player base will increase!!

Serious answer: 3 mil+ based on my beta experience and the fact that the game is in a natural decline (standard lifecycle for any product). MoP will bring things people will love but also things people will hate, I think we'll see a sub loss when players' AP ends and then 3 months or so after the xpac releases.

Who knows though, I might be eating my words.
    Last edited by Celista; 2012-09-25 at 06:21 PM.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Oldschoolwow View Post
    So what you are saying is that wow after 8 years and 4 expansions will become even bigger and have more than the record 12 million of early wrath?

You are very optimistic my friend.
    He's just in denial just like the other 150 people who voted 0 subs

1-2 million depending on content.

Quote Originally Posted by Pancaspe View Post
    MOP is guaranteed to set a new record for subs. I expect over 15 million.
    facts disagree with you.

AP slowed down the sub lost and wow stopped at 9 million when the AP ends we will see another *mite be small* sub lost that the lauch of MOP may cancel it out. but to think that MOP will bring back 7million players is stupid cata lost 3million and you think that MOP will bring 2x that amount back??????

*From this point on is my personal opinion*

On Topic: I personally feel wow will keep losing subs untill it stops around 5 million. once AP ends we will see a small sub lose *or a BIG one if MOP dose not go off well* and it will keep going this way.

Subbing to mmo's is a thing of the past many 2 many coming out subed and having to go F2P or a mix of the 2 and then u get the MMO's that come out F2P/B2P.

The next MMO thats coming out that will be F2p/B2p is Neverwinter *not a fan of the combat system they are using so i won't be checking it out its rules will be based off of D&D 4.0 aka 4th ed*.

Each MMO that comes out takes a small bit out of wow and then u got blizzard treating it like a ATM so if something dose not chance they will keep bleeding subs but right now its going to be at a slow rate.

*remember this is just my personal opinion*
    Check me out....Im └(-.-)┘┌(-.-)┘┌(-.-)┐└(-.-)┐ Dancing, Im └(-.-)┘┌(-.-)┘┌(-.-)┐└(-.-)┐ Dancing.
    My Gaming PC: MSI Trident 3 - i7-10700F - RTX 4060 8GB - 32GB DDR4 - 1TB M.2SSD

A better poll might have been "how high do you think wow's total sub base will be near the end of mop"
    Add in the current value,. and just say itll be 2-3mil lower than the start of mop and you should be fairly accurate.