Page 52 of 64 FirstFirst ...
... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Granyala View Post
    Hehe, I know that feeling.

This. People need to man up and admit the truth.
    Fun fact: I forgot to enchant my new helmet in Cata for several IDs. No one noticed it, not even myself.

Why?
    Statistic fluctuations of DPS > head enchant DPS gain.

Having an enchant or not will never ever make you wipe. The encounters aren't tuned that way anymore.
    99.999% of all wipes are based on flawed execution of encounter tactics a.k.a.: someone "fucked up".
    I got people in my raid complaining on our first trip to MSV that we weren't geared enough for it, and sure enoguh our first few wipes were at above 70%. Pretty demoralising for the first boss in a new expac right? Except gear had nothing to do with it, the standing in purple poo and not linking to your chains target was leading to player death and as a result, DpS loss. Once ppl stopped tihnking it was gonna be like 35% nerf Normal mode Morchok, and opened their eyes, we got our kill

I agree with the dude above, people in this thread are trying to pretend they are in a guild where this sort of thing matters. Fact is - you're not. You're mediocre at an easy game and need to hide behind BS like "Its mandatory to get crap VP items to the raiding community, therefore my logic is fine" when even the raiding community is pretty split on the topic. TBH I'd rather the people in my team who are worrying about being "ready" for the raids just spent a bit of time practicing thier DpS whilst, Idk, moving around to avoid imaginary puddles of poop, so that when they are in that boss encounter, they can actually perform reasonably well in the gear they have.

FYI: Ilvl 450 or Ilvl 490, you do more DpS when you're alive.

Oh and Crashdummy, please stop trying to convince people that they don't know what mandatory means. Its been pointed out in this thread (even by yourself) that basically NOTHING outside of being there, doing the dmg, not dying, is MANDATORY for raiding. In fact people here have already cleared into Heroic modes without using VP gear or doing dailies. Please man up and admit you're wrong on this one. Just generally people will respect you more for it. I doubt you've got the cojones, but w/e
    Quote Originally Posted by Shalcker View Post
    Posting here is primarily a way to strengthen your own viewpoint against common counter-arguments.

Quote Originally Posted by Fhina View Post
    People keep saying "crafting". No one can craft without pretty much doing dailies, because everything uses those stupid soulbound Spirits of Harmony. They should be account wide. If you have a lot of "profession alts" (as I do) this is the worst expansion ever. I don't just have to get all of my alts to a specific level (and I have to level them in order of the usefulness of their professions, not by how much I like actually playing them), but to do anything interesting with their professions, I have to pretty much not just level cap them (which was never required before) but play them constantly in order to accrue Spirits of Harmony, which are nearly impossible to come by while leveling. Sure, I can farm up motes via Tillers, but that means maxing out Tillers (and dealing with THAT grind) on EVERY CHARACTER. I already farm on two toons (I dual-boxed to save time/tedium) and it's not feasible to attempt to farm on all ten classes and expect to have time to do anything else...so I'm back to having to grind dailies on everyone.

Also speaking of crafting, this is the expansion of "cute crap that takes up bag space," but you can't even make newer, better bags unless you're exalted with August Celestials...wtf? God knows making the "big bags" from the last expansion isn't feasible at this point; hell, materials were too much of a pain to come by for those bags THEN. This is the only expansion without a better bag that you can learn from the trainer and make with regular cloth.
    In Cata it was Chaos Orbs. In Wrath it was Frozen Orbs. Both were BoP when their respective expansions first came out. And in both of those not only did you need the rare souldbound mat, you needed to farm Eternals/Volatiles as well. Motes of Harmony just combine the two.

Motes are not hard to farm even without doing dailies. Doing the dailies just means that you are getting the motes as a by-product of another activity. I can usually get 2-3 Spirits of Harmony (20-30 motes) a day if I do ALL the dailies (which I normally don't do). And that is without the 16 motes I could get from farming.
    I found I enjoyed the game significantly more when I stopped paying attention to all the people on the forums telling me how much I am supposed to hate it
    All this complaining is simply further proof that Blizzard could send each and every player a real-life wish-granting flying unicorn carrying a solid gold plate of chocolate chip cookies wrapped in hundred dollar bills, and someone would whine that Blizzard sucks for not letting them choose oatmeal raisin.

People keep saying "crafting". No one can craft without pretty much doing dailies, because everything uses those stupid soulbound Spirits of Harmony. They should be account wide. If you have a lot of "profession alts" (as I do) this is the worst expansion ever. I don't just have to get all of my alts to a specific level (and I have to level them in order of the usefulness of their professions, not by how much I like actually playing them), but to do anything interesting with their professions, I have to pretty much not just level cap them (which was never required before) but play them constantly in order to accrue Spirits of Harmony, which are nearly impossible to come by while leveling. Sure, I can farm up motes via Tillers, but that means maxing out Tillers (and dealing with THAT grind) on EVERY CHARACTER. I already farm on two toons (I dual-boxed to save time/tedium) and it's not feasible to attempt to farm on all ten classes and expect to have time to do anything else...so I'm back to having to grind dailies on everyone.

Also speaking of crafting, this is the expansion of "cute crap that takes up bag space," but you can't even make newer, better bags unless you're exalted with August Celestials...wtf? God knows making the "big bags" from the last expansion isn't feasible at this point; hell, materials were too much of a pain to come by for those bags THEN. This is the only expansion without a better bag that you can learn from the trainer and make with regular cloth.
    I didnt know you couldn't craft without doing dailies because spirits of Harmonies only come from doing Dailies, WTF? Are you trying to make shit up just to have something legitimate to bitch about? You don't get spirits of harmonies from doing Dailies, you get them from killing stuff and if you just happen to be killing stuff while doing dailies then bonus. Would you like us to give you spirits of harmonies for sitting in a major faction city and complaining about the game? You have to do something to get something. I have over 300 motes of Harmony on my character.

ANd as far as the bag recipie goes, thats awesome since when I get my Tailor up to that rep level to make those bags I can make more money since there is less competition. Someones auction house mule isn't going to be pounding out 20 a day and making the profit margin so tiny that its not worth making the friggen bags to begin with.

---------- Post added 2012-11-01 at 03:58 PM ----------

One thing they did right in this expansion was cutting the throats of the auction house mule alt, now you have to go out and experience the game if you want to sell the high end stuff and that means that people can actually earn the value of their work on the auction house rather than competing with everyones mules that sit in front of an auction house and play the mat vrs profit game. You are going to make more money on your main, and less on the auction house mule.

Quote Originally Posted by Barky View Post
    If everyone's got a problem with the tabard system, why not have a limit to the rep you can gain with them a week or something, so if you do dailies AND use the tabards, you'll be exalted faster than someone who just does one or the other.

That way the people who don't like doing dailies will get exalted eventually, and the ones who do dailies as well get rep faster. basically the ones who make more effort, get rewarded faster.

Everyone wins.
    The Tabard system of Wotlk and Cata was flawed and certainly destroyed the longevity of early content. But even with the tabards, there were options to getting rep without using a tabard OR doing dailies. MoP does not have that option; you either do dailies or are denied content at some point (each new LFR requires higher average ilvl to queue for. 2nd wing of Heart of Fear I suspect will be 480, and the next raid 490, assuming they continue with the trend of +10 average ilvl per LFR). All I want is a way to get rep that doesn't require having to compete against others to do the same 1-3 sets of dailies every day, especially when you have people who seem to think world PvP = get a raid of 10+ people and camp daily quest hubs.

I can not think of an example before MoP that had a faction that served a purpose that didn't have at least 2 ways of getting rep that wasn't a guild/faction/server effort. What would have been so difficult about making Mantid enemies grant rep with Klaxxi, Mogu grant rep with Shado-Pan / Golden Lotus, with Sha giving rep with the August Celestials? Why does Wrathion care if you kill some nameless mantid or mogu in the 89+ zones, but doesn't acknowledge your efforts in raids, especially since his rewards require raiding to do?

Now this isn't to say some of the factions this time around are poorly thought out; just look at The Order of the Cloud Serpents, The Tillers, and The Anglers. Each of these factions have decently thought out lore, offer nothing serious for getting exalted, and are for some bizarre reason easier to grind than the factions related to end-game zones and raiding. They each have 2 distinct ways to getting rep; dailies or something unique to each faction.

There's so much wrong with this post that it's hard to know where to start.

Did you even play Cata or Wrath? Chaos Orbs were not only BoP, but they required running heroics and winning rolls against other people. Motes are way easier and quicker to get plus you don't need to be max level to get them.

Dailies have nothing to do with motes except being able to grow 16 motes on your farm. In fact, the best way to get motes is to grind out certain mobs.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Trubo View Post
    ...you either do dailies or are denied content at some point (each new LFR requires higher average ilvl to queue for. 2nd wing of Heart of Fear I suspect will be 480, and the next raid 490, assuming they continue with the trend of +10 average ilvl per LFR).
    No. Both wings of Mogu'shan vaults require an average item level of 460. Both wings of Heart of Fear and the single wing of Terrace of Endless Spring require an average item level of 470. Dailies are not mandatory do to any of that content.

All I want is a way to get rep that doesn't require having to compete against others to do the same 1-3 sets of dailies every day, especially when you have people who seem to think world PvP = get a raid of 10+ people and camp daily quest hubs.
    If you are playing on a PvP server, it's because *you chose* to play on a PvP server. If you don't want world PvP, transfer to a PvE server.

The only thing about motes and level is that the higher your level the higher your chance of getting a mote. From 85 to level 86 I managed to pull down 4 motes. At 86 I pulled down 6 motes in 20 minutes.

This means that you won't be able to use your level 85 characters as virtual atms, where you put some money into a craft and then keep sliding your card in the slot until your money bags are full. You are going to have to put some effort into them and actually put some value into the time spent on your character. You will make more because there will not be a 100 to 1 ratio of auction house alts to main character ratio.

Sorry, if you want alt atms then find another game or take up herb gathering and alchemy.

Quote Originally Posted by Gurbz View Post
    In Cata it was Chaos Orbs. In Wrath it was Frozen Orbs. Both were BoP when their respective expansions first came out. And in both of those not only did you need the rare souldbound mat, you needed to farm Eternals/Volatiles as well. Motes of Harmony just combine the two.

Motes are not hard to farm even without doing dailies. Doing the dailies just means that you are getting the motes as a by-product of another activity. I can usually get 2-3 Spirits of Harmony (20-30 motes) a day if I do ALL the dailies (which I normally don't do). And that is without the 16 motes I could get from farming.
    I'm talking about professions on alts (does no one read?), after they made this expansion a rep grind from hell in order to be able to use valor points to get anything, which keeps one busy on their main. I'm too busy on my main to have time to get my alts to 90, and you don't receive jack for motes until characters do hit 90. And you have to kill a lot of crap to get enough motes to make enough spirits to make stuff. Did you listen to YOURSELF? If you do ALL the dailies. How many characters am I supposed to have to do ALL the dailies on on a daily basis? Some of us have a life and can't level 10 different classes to 90 AND do rep grinds via dailies AND max all their professions AND have time to get them all spirits by doing all of those (optional) dailies every day. And you're an idiot if you just grind mobs to hope for motes without doing them in conjunction with dailies, because you need the rep from dailies to get anything, plus it pays you in gold and valor points.

Also, Spirits of Harmony are not a direct replacement for Chaos Orbs, etc., which were reserved for creating EPICS, and were not available except as a roll after completing a dungeon (not as an rng drop for mob kills) so what point do you have in bringing them up? It is NOT the same thing, and I'm sure THEIR equivalent is still coming. Never mind that you didn't need to gather TEN bits of one in order to create one. You didn't need chaos orbs for low level engineering greens (as seen in MoP), or for crafting entry level blue quality items (inscription staves in MoP...which you need, plus MORE spirits, in order to make the epic ones). Motes of Harmony correlate DIRECTLY to items such as Motes of Earth/Motes of Mana/Motes of Life and Spirits of Harmony correlate to Primal Earth/Primal Life/Primal Mana (which Blizzard declared in a blue post at one point), and which were neversoulbound, so it didn't matter which character you were on, and you could easily aquire them in droves via herbing or mining or engineering (which you can't now, another point you conveniently forgot). Finally, you could outright buy them if you wanted to.

People also keep forgetting that this was supposed to be the expansion where we could play the classes we enjoyed. It's why there are account wide mounts, pets and achievements. Making what was once a non-soulbound item soulbound goes completely against that concept.

And once again, I'm talking ALTS. You'd need to grind Tiller's rep on all of your alts to open up all the slots on their farms (oh, but wait, dailies are OPTIONAL...no one is MAKING me do them...) and you can only farm on so many characters and still be playing WoW instead of Farmville.

you either do dailies or are denied content at some point (each new LFR requires higher average ilvl to queue for. 2nd wing of Heart of Fear I suspect will be 480, and the next raid 490, assuming they continue with the trend of +10 average ilvl per LFR).
    This is blatantly false. What they are doing with the ilvl increase is giving casual raiding the same sort of raid-to-raid progression that normal and heroic have. Normal mode players will do MSV first (for several weeks) before they move on to HoF, or start farming both. LFR players are supposed to do the same. You're not supposed to unlock every LFR segment in a day, do them all, and then log out for the rest of the patch like you could in Cataclysm. You're supposed to just naturally gear up through running LFR.

Also MSV is 460 for both wings, so I see no reason why the second wing of HoF would have a higher ilvl than the first. It's going to be 470. That data is already in game. You're just supposed to run MSV for a few weeks and get geared up to 470, which, given that it gives 476, should take the average person a while. It's really just giving casual players some sense of progress and some reason to actually want to gear up (to see more content) which is the main reason people want to gear up in this game anyways. Kill more bosses, see more content. Dailies will certainly assist you to reach that goal faster if you do them (and casuals who have nothing to do except LFR are certainly the target audience of the dailies) but to claim it is not possible to see all the content without them is a completely false claim.

And someone's already said it, but doing dailies is far from the best way to get Spirit of Harmony, and someone who is really interested in crafting items and marketing them would know that. Hence, there is unlikely to be a huge shortage of crafted gear available. Heck, the epic offhands I can make with inscription only take one spirit. Yes, they take 5 days to make, but that's just a matter of logging on and making a scroll. No dailies required. Got recipe from trainer.

Deleted
    If you do ALL the dailies. How many characters am I supposed to have to do ALL the dailies on on a daily basis? Some of us have a life and can't level 10 different classes to 90 AND do rep grinds via dailies AND max all their professions AND have time to get them all spirits by doing all of those (optional) dailies every day.
    AND we're in the second month of the expansion. Why do you think you're entitled to have all of this so quickly? It's an MMO - you do not have to be self-sufficient for all professions.

Bleh, for some reason my browser was showing me as having 2 identical posts, and upon deleting one, it deleted both. To sum up what was said:

1. I was misinformed about average ilvl requirements for the next few LFRs, I apologize for further spreading this misinformation.

2. I enjoy balanced world PvP in the sense that server populations are balanced, which hasn't been the case for my server since Cata as we went from A:H ratios of 1:2 to 1:6. World PvP is dead in my eyes as Alliance just can't get the numbers to do anything meaningful, as was seen when the one time we attempted to kill Galleon by stealing it from a horde 40 man tag, horde simply brought two more 40 mans to stop us in 5 minutes.

3. Don't recall mentioning SoH stuff lately and have already discussed with someone about the availability of crafted epics for ilvl boosting purposes.

People wanted a bc grind, here it is. I don't like working, but i love money. I don't like dailies, but i love the rewards.
    Bane

I'm talking about professions on alts (does no one read?), after they made this expansion a rep grind from hell in order to be able to use valor points to get anything, which keeps one busy on their main. I'm too busy on my main to have time to get my alts to 90, and you don't receive jack for motes until characters do hit 90. And you have to kill a lot of crap to get enough motes to make enough spirits to make stuff. Did you listen to YOURSELF? If you do ALL the dailies. How many characters am I supposed to have to do ALL the dailies on on a daily basis? Some of us have a life and can't level 10 different classes to 90 AND do rep grinds via dailies AND max all their professions AND have time to get them all spirits by doing all of those (optional) dailies every day. And you're an idiot if you just grind mobs to hope for motes without doing them in conjunction with dailies, because you need the rep from dailies to get anything, plus it pays you in gold and valor points.

Also, Spirits of Harmony are not a direct replacement for Chaos Orbs, etc., which were reserved for creating EPICS, and were not available except as a roll after completing a dungeon (not as an rng drop for mob kills) so what point do you have in bringing them up? It is NOT the same thing, and I'm sure THEIR equivalent is still coming. Never mind that you didn't need to gather TEN bits of one in order to create one. You didn't need chaos orbs for low level engineering greens (as seen in MoP), or for crafting entry level blue quality items (inscription staves in MoP...which you need, plus MORE spirits, in order to make the epic ones). Motes of Harmony correlate DIRECTLY to items such as Motes of Earth/Motes of Mana/Motes of Life and Spirits of Harmony correlate to Primal Earth/Primal Life/Primal Mana (which Blizzard declared in a blue post at one point), and which were neversoulbound, so it didn't matter which character you were on, and you could easily aquire them in droves via herbing or mining or engineering (which you can't now, another point you conveniently forgot). Finally, you could outright buy them if you wanted to.

People also keep forgetting that this was supposed to be the expansion where we could play the classes we enjoyed. It's why there are account wide mounts, pets and achievements. Making what was once a non-soulbound item soulbound goes completely against that concept.

And once again, I'm talking ALTS. You'd need to grind Tiller's rep on all of your alts to open up all the slots on their farms (oh, but wait, dailies are OPTIONAL...no one is MAKING me do them...) and you can only farm on so many characters and still be playing WoW instead of Farmville.
    Good riddence to your auction house alts, now I can make money selling things that I have earned.

10+ Year Old Account
    Gating crafting content for alts may be annoying, but may also be good for the market. Less supply / more demand -> more profit.

Almost any piece of gear that requires them for crafting is also at least blue quality, and aside from a very small number of items (the inscription staves are the only ones I found upon a quick check of wowhead) all require level 90. There is 1 engineering item that only requires level 20 but its a mount.

My point was that there is always a BoP crafting mat needed to make max level items. Yes, the Chaos Orbs/Frozen Orbs were less random in nature, but you also had to run a heroic THEN win a roll against other people. So it was not necessarily a guarantee that you would leave each heroic with an orb. And I very clearly said that the Spirits of Harmony are a combination of the two common crafting mats from the last two expansions (Frozen Orbs+Eternals and Chaos Orbs+Volatiles), in that they are BoP (like the orbs), require 10 of a lesser version to be combine into the greater version (like eternals/volatiles) and that lesser part, while not very rare, drops with a lower frequency which requires a certain amount of time commitment (like primals in TBC or the eternals/volatiles that didn't come from mining or herbalism).

It is supposed to take time. The expansion will be out for approximately 18-24 months, of which we have only barely completed 1 month. It is unreasonable to expect to be able to maintain a stable of 10 alts at maximum possible progression all within the first month of an expansion. The changes made to mounts and achievements were made so that it would be more convenient to switch characters and/or play alts. Not necessarily easier or less time consuming.
    Last edited by Gurbz; 2012-11-01 at 07:01 PM.
    I found I enjoyed the game significantly more when I stopped paying attention to all the people on the forums telling me how much I am supposed to hate it
    All this complaining is simply further proof that Blizzard could send each and every player a real-life wish-granting flying unicorn carrying a solid gold plate of chocolate chip cookies wrapped in hundred dollar bills, and someone would whine that Blizzard sucks for not letting them choose oatmeal raisin.

Quote Originally Posted by hunteromg View Post
    this is not true. firelands dailes were optional content. mop dailes are not. or maybe you think of everything as optional content. bgs are then optional as well as raids.
    Of course BGs and raids are optional. It's a GAME...

Just do what I do. Pick 1-3 factions to do dailies with and stick to them. I did Anglers, Order of the Cloud Serpent, and Tillers to exalted. I also got Golden Lotus to revered. Now I'm sitting back and waiting til the next patch for my DOUBLE REP REWARD to proceed because I don't like any of the new dailies.

:3

If you just focus on a few factions at a time, you don't spend hours a day on dailies (god forbid...), you still get Exalted, just not all at once like a hardcore grinder, you get your mounts and your pretty gear.

There's no reason a casual gamer should be expected by themselves or others to get all of the epic gear, patterns, mounts, tabards, ect all within the first month that the game is out. The raids are capable of being run in mostly heroic blues. We've had holiday events going on since it came out, giving you free lesser quality epics. If you're playing the same main as hardcore as you "want" to get your rep, even less so, you should have at least one epic ring and one epic trinket.

Also, read the notes about how it's literally impossible to gain VP as fast as you can farm dailies. You're not missing out by not doing dailies every day.

Personally, I thought the tabarding thing was meh. I'd like more Commendations bought with JP, personally. I've very little to do with JP apart from hoarding it for pet battles otherwise. That's my only complaint with the current system. JP is worthless to those who gear without using the rep system in game unless you're seriously that unlucky. :3 Casually playing, I've already got two 90s fully heroic geared. One has a trinket and no need for Halloween rings due to the OTHER amazing source for gear, LFR, which gives you gear on the same level as the honored rep level pieces (I believe it's that level. It's the lower quality one.). One has two rings from Halloween and no trinket.

It's. Not. Required.

So. Yes. Please. If you don't want to do dailies. Don't do them. Not every day. It's not worth it. It's optional. And that's the truth, not an opinion.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by hunteromg View Post
    this is not true. firelands dailes were optional content. mop dailes are not. or maybe you think of everything as optional content. bgs are then optional as well as raids.
    lol no one forces you to raid or do bg's or arenas, it is all you. Instead of saying you are force to do them, say the truth. I am forcing myself to do them, because i want to get virtual item that doesn't matter one bit lol.
    If the people are reasonable they will understand if not i would suggest leave them.

The whole problem that between tbc and now some years past and people forgot that getting an item you really wanted isn't manditory. I would bet 1000$ that if they made something like this in tbc, i mean adding rep requirement for badge of justice people wouldn't complain, i think quite the opposite.

The changes were made for good, since it makes you feel better if you worked this way about getting this item, i work a lot of days to get this epic shoulders, and i am proud of it..

You miss the point of getting the item, it is not item it is the journey that counts not the reward, since it is a video game.

MMO were always about dedication, dedication to spend a lot of time, to play them. MMO's aren't for people who spend 2 hours max in them, they are for people who spend like 5 to 7 hours in them, that is the freaking point.

When people were younger, they spend a lot more time in them. I know this from my experience, when i was in university i could spend ever 9 hours in them.
    But now after i have a job i can spend 2 or 3 hours everyday, do not count weekends.
    My friends who were playing wow from 2004 decided to do something else because as they said mmo take too much of their time, since they have job, family etc.

So one of them decided he wants always to be a blacksmith, he has a forge in his house, and he make a sword when he wants to rest from work.
    Another one decided that the gardening is his calling, so he start buying flowers and put them in his hourse and etc.
    Another one decided that he will start modding games.

As i have said previous mmo are for people who have time, not for people who come from work and are tired and so on, the reason is not that you wouldn't be able to play, that is not it.
    Ther reason is you do not like to lose, you would get angry and all those people who have the time and do it.
    That is why most people i knew in tbc quit, they do not want to spend little free time they have on play wow, other games can give you the same amount of pleasure without the frustration, if you do not have high amount of time on your hands.

As for me, i am using wow more like facebook now, chatting with friends that haven't left wow, chatting with guild mates, i do not have time to raid now, but that doesn't mean i can experience the game

Quote Originally Posted by Gilian View Post
    Oke let's take your logic then. So then I also want craftable gear to be cheap because I am not going to farm 60k for a stinking trinket which is mandatory. I also want Galleon to spawn more often like sha because that is also mandatory. Enchant mats should be reduced since they are mandatory and they cost way too much.

I want LFR gear to be nerfed to 463 since I hate doing LFR but it is mandatory.
    You could ask for that, which have no logic at all. Some people even did asked for LFR to drop blues and even not drop anything at all.

The difference is that Blizzard has not taken similar actions to what you ask in the past, but they did took actions that seem to contradict how the daily system is working.

Lets take the word mandatory away since you guys dont seem to understand what we want to say with the word and take the word literally.

The thing is: Blizzard has taken off the game things that gave advantages to raiders but required huge grinds to do so (25 man raids doing 10 mans in Wrath, head enchants in Wrath/Cata). The dailies system give raiders a bigger advantage and asks a bigger grind than those taken off the game before. It doesn't make any sense.

15+ Year Old Account
    I hate hating the haters who hate the people hating on the ones who hate daily quests... HATE

Hate is a strong word. People have their opinions, and some people wish to speak them. Let them do so.

Quote Originally Posted by Granyala View Post
    Gating crafting content for alts may be annoying, but may also be good for the market. Less supply / more demand -> more profit.
    So what do we do with the professions that are not gated?