Page 1 of 2
LastLast

FPS impact on DPS.

I was just thinking to myself about how much of an impact your frame rate really has on dps.

So I wonder, does anyone have an idea where your frame rate will begin to really lower your dps due to input lag/stuttering/etc?

Is it 15 fps? 10 fps? 5 fps?

Anyway, just a ponderance. May or may not gain some momentum in discussion.

10+ Year Old Account
    Any class that has a fast/twitchy rotation would be affected by FPS. The more fps you have, the smaller the margin of error.

That said, playing my mage at anything less than 30fps will have me missing gcd's.
    Quote Originally Posted by Aloodanis View Post
    Damn casuals and their vending machines. Back in my day, We had to go all the way from Orgrimmar to Desolace to pick up chips from the store. we had to do an extensive attunement quest to get into the store and we had to assemble 39 other people to fight the many other trash mobs, i mean trash food, to get to the chip isle. Oh and most of us couldn't even afford our epic car mount to drive there, we had to settle for our 60% bike mounts.

Deleted
    as in dps I belive it can have a slight impact, and also as healer but tank is very little affected by FPS. In wrath we had a warior tank on our server. Known as "Lennis the 5 FPS tank" cause that was his max FPS in raids and yet he was one of the best tanks on the server. Untill kungen and his fanboys arrived

Quote Originally Posted by dooffie66 View Post
    as in dps I belive it can have a slight impact, and also as healer but tank is very little affected by FPS. In wrath we had a warior tank on our server. Known as "Lennis the 5 FPS tank" cause that was his max FPS in raids and yet he was one of the best tanks on the server. Untill kungen and his fanboys arrived
    I find that peculiar. I'd have thought DPS would be at the least risk to play with a shoddy frame rate and tanks at the highest risk because of their responsibility and need to taunt/move etc.

High Overlord
    10+ Year Old Account
    I healed ICC 25 at ~2fps. It's not that bad when you're used to it.

10+ Year Old Account
    If you have lots of stuff to worry about (Buffs / debuffs / procs) framerate will affect you, but if you don't, you should be fine with as little FPS as you can handle before punching the screen.

10+ Year Old Account
    I think getting lower than 20 FPS is going to effect your performance significantly.

I used to play an Arms Warrior in Tier 11, played the game at like lol 10 fps. Got a GPU and cleaned out my fan, ranked like a motherfucker.

Deleted
    If you know your rotations and have enough to frames to see the fire on the floor appearing, you can still run at normal speed and do whatever you would do normally. Ofc now that so many specs are proc-based it becomes a lot more difficult to do it optimally.

During 40 man sha is the only place my frame rate is low, but then it also gets REALLY low. sometimes 1 fps would be my guess, but i still often manage to stay top of the charts on heals.

Getting about 40-ish FPS all Ultra with Multisampling at 8x on the average encounter(read: Not Ultraxion with Lust intense). I wouldn't be able to play with 30 or lower constantly. Higher FPS not only means faster ability response time, but better raid awareness.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Mordakanen View Post
    I find that peculiar. I'd have thought DPS would be at the least risk to play with a shoddy frame rate and tanks at the highest risk because of their responsibility and need to taunt/move etc.
    through out wrath pretty much all encounters for tanks were like a script. You could almost always count the seconds for taunts from pull to kill xD

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by OriginalVocalMix View Post
    I healed ICC 25 at ~2fps. It's not that bad when you're used to it.
    I healed Naxx with 450-750 ping, which should result in a quite similar experience. It's doable but a pain and your performance suffers alot. Tanking and dpsing are affected a lot less.

10+ Year Old Account
    I played all of WotLK and Cata till the very last week with 3-5 FPS during 25m raids during the heavier parts, and 10 FPS average. It is hard, but once you get used to it, it doesn't make much of a difference (coming from a Mage). Got a full ultra 40 FPS raiding computer now, and the only thing that seems boosted is my raid awareness and seeing what is happening is a lot easier.
    Battletag: Vale#11596
    Armory - Twitter - Stream

I bet dodging double Attenuation on Heroic Zorlok with 10 FPS will be lots of fun.

Well, this makes me feel a little better, seeing as I play on a piece of crap laptop and I get 3~ fps in 25 man raids (lfrlol) luckily I do raid 10 man, so the fps isn't the worst in them, but it's still not fantastic 10-20~. Seeing as I play on an 800x600 resolution with every option turned to absolute minimum, raid awareness definitely suffers from the cluttered UI I'm dealing with.

Mostly what I was trying to grasp is whether or not the dps upgrade will be a big one when I do manage to pull together a new computer, but from what I'm seeing, the dps won't seem to go up in leaps and bounds. Playing a ret pally I'm often gcd locked and then sometimes gcd starved. So perhaps my dps won't change much due to being a melee with instant abilities, I somehow feel that ranged with their casts would suffer more from fps issues. Then of course, I don't think I'd ever try healing or tanking in a serious raid environment currently.

Quote Originally Posted by thevoicefromwithin View Post
    I healed Naxx with 450-750 ping, which should result in a quite similar experience. It's doable but a pain and your performance suffers alot. Tanking and dpsing are affected a lot less.
    No. Not at all. DPS is affected the most by ping/fps issues on any CD/rotation class. Healing involves too many instants and you can rely on stopcast macros a lot with latency issues (I healed TBC through WoTLK as an Australian in a top 20 US). If you know what source of damage is coming you can make up for it.

100 ping difference on my hunter though? Makes a huge difference. If I have ~450ms for whatever reason instead of my usual 190-200 the difference is incredible. I lose so much DPS it's not funny.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by thevoicefromwithin View Post
    Healed Kara as a paladin, where I had to face the wall to not go 1 fps on that dude who did aoe frost. It was flash heal whack a mole stile healing at the time, so as you spam flash heal, you just got to target the right player. How I never got kicked out of that guild, I will never know. Few were good folks... Stole one of their names for an alt on a new server, out of respect...

---------- Post added 2012-11-28 at 12:55 AM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by snegro View Post
    No. Not at all. DPS is affected the most by ping/fps issues on any CD/rotation class. Healing involves too many instants and you can rely on stopcast macros a lot with latency issues (I healed TBC through WoTLK as an Australian in a top 20 US). If you know what source of damage is coming you can make up for it.

100 ping difference on my hunter though? Makes a huge difference. If I have ~450ms for whatever reason instead of my usual 190-200 the difference is incredible. I lose so much DPS it's not funny.
    In my experience, I agree with this guy. Healing was easier with bad lag. Tanking followed by melee dps was the worst.

Prior to Mists, Sub rogues were very dependent on latencty and FPS. Now there is alot more flex, but I still would not like anything below 20. Even if I get to 20 I panic because I think somethings wrong.

Not sure how other classes are fairing?

It has an impact. I know from experience. I used to have a really bad computer, but my brother had a good one. I had ~5 frames in high stress situations and maybe 12-15 at best, ever, while he had an easy coasting 20-30 constantly. If I swapped to his computer, I would perform noticeably better than when I was on my own computer.

Why seems pretty clear to me.

I can't imagine a huge difference between like 20 and 40, but when you're on the border of single digits constantly, you are going to have much more trouble performing as well as you possibly can.

The Patient
    10+ Year Old Account
    I had between 0.25 and 4 fps, averaging 2 fps, during a successful 10-man Ragnaros kill back in early 4.2. Whenever the screen froze, I'd resort to lightning bolt spam until the screen caught up. My old laptop didn't like the Firelands much... even with all addons turned off and at minimum graphic settings, that raid would occasionally overheat the computer enough to trigger the anti-fire emergency shutdown. Needless to say, my dps took a hit either way. The Firelord actively threatened to melt the video card every time we pulled. By fire be purged indeed. >.<

Being a player who raided H t10 and t11 with a consistent 5-10 fps in 25 mans on low graphics, I can say without a doubt it starts to affect your performance anywhere under 15. Once it goes below that point your movement is very sketchy, and your inputs are a bit delayed. I played a shadow priest, and sometimes I'd accidentally clip my mind flay, but I never really had any issues with keeping my DoTs up, even with 3+ targets. But if you're a spam happy class, I would say it won't really affect you as much.
    My sig was stolen, if you find it please contact me. Thanks.