Poll: Should parenting require a license or parenting courses?

Page 5 of 12 FirstFirst ...
... LastLast
    10+ Year Old Account
    Sounds good to me. Less babies would die due to abortion.
    Science flies you to the moon. Religion flies you into buildings.
    To resist the influence of others, knowledge of oneself is most important.

Quote Originally Posted by Khaidu View Post
    There should be more selective breeding.. Too many people are having kids, too many are idiots. Start breeding for the future and expansion of humanity instead of just because you want a kid. If you have some significant intelligence, combine that with someone else who will compliment your genes and produce something worthwhile.

It's inevitable. The smartest people lived 2500 years ago. It's been a downward spiral since.

http://www.popsci.com/science/articl...cist-thinks-so

10+ Year Old Account
    No. The real problem with bad parents are the lack of role models and willing to shoulder the responsibilities that came with being a parent. Having a strong ties with family, friends, and communities can help you perform your role as a parent better.

What we don't need is more laws, rules, and regulations dictate what and how we should live because people are irresponsibilities, selfish and have no common sense.

This is the most authoritarian, and borderline Nazist way of thinking i have seen in the past months.

Seriously, removing the right of people for having insecure sex is violating human rights, is the state controlling your personal life.

This is a utilitarian way of thinking that ignores people rights in name of the common goal for the society. This was proved a fallacy many times, but people seems to ignore it every time.

You can create classes for parents, yes, this would be great. But you cannot force people to abide by it.
    We need to move on the contrary way, removing already authoritarian features of our society, not creating more of it.

How much it will cost to the state is not even something we should CONSIDER, because the damage that this would be doing to us, by removing our freedom and enabling other laws with even more restrictions to seems legal is so HUGE, that no amount of money would ever be able to pay for that.

We help those children that needs state support because we feel that they are HUMAN BEINGS, and that failing their parents taking care of then, we need to intervene and safeguard their life, because its precious, its a human life.
    Trying to reduce taxes by reducing the amount the states pay to help people is trying to not HELP people in NEED! This is borderline inhumane.

And about the genetic topic, this is the most absolute asinine argument i have ever read on my entire life.
    Go read new biology articles, go read what the science thinks about human genes. There is no bad pool of genes, and there is no dumb and smart people, individual talents are not genetic, and two healthy parents can have an unhealthy child because of ressessive genes.

Thinking that only some people can have the joys of parenthood is PATHETIC, and is an ELITIST, Authoritarian and inhumane way of thinking.
    Its taking away a basic right, and letting the state control the thing that is most personal for a person.

Its Elitist because it makes it sound like some people are GOOD for society, and others are WORTHLESS! And this is an ABSURD! Its a well know fallacy, because of Cultural requirements, our society value a certain set of characteristics, and that is arbitrary, if you are born with the wrong characteristics you are deemed unworthy!
    What is a worthy person or unworthy person should not EVEN BE DISCUSSED!

Its like saying a disabled person should be killed because it gives cost to the state but is unworthy to the society.
    People are not here for the value to be JUDGED by us, they are human persons, and we need to treat then like so, they have freedom, and their rights.
    It does not matter if they are more useful for us or not, what is important is that we work the improve our society giving those persons chance to have a good life too.

This way of thinking leaded to Nazism, where they tried to remove from their society everyone they deemed not useful for them. Did anyone of you think that living like that is the right way?

Are you going to force people not to have sex? Are you going to kill babies with "bad genetics"?

Id like to remember you that one of the most genial minds of our time is Stephen Hawking, and by our standard he should NEVER be born, because of his body conditions!
    So will you make Stephen Hawking have a children because you want his genius mind? Or you will not because of his disease?
    Who knows if his son will even like science? Or if he will be that intelligent?

Researches shows us the contrary, that genetics are only tendencies, and small ones at that. The live of the being is way more important on their development than some people want to suggest with this biological inaccurate arguments.

Are a good blind artist a good genetic pool? What about the median guy that is average on everything? And that awesome employer, that hits his wife?
    How you will judge who is good, and who is bad?
    And how you will know if that guy will still be good in the future? People change, maybe he will became an asshole in his late 40s... And how much of that can you really attribute to genetics, when we now know that it only gives tendencies, that may be re forced or simple not happen?

Seriously, go read some good scientific articles on the matter, and avoid political play, and religious play over it.
    The economy problem, your life problems, and the state problem is not the fault of the disabled, or bad genetics... if you wish to blame someone blame yourself, blame your culture, but not genetics, its too easy to blame it, because it removes it from us, from our culture.

Deleted
    Well that didn't took long for children to get a product status.

10+ Year Old Account
    I can't believe this idea was even given the time of day.

I thought I'd seen a lot of asinine ideas and comments in the whole gun control debate.

I've never been so wrong.

10+ Year Old Account
    No, it would be ridiculous.

Not all children are planned, a lot of unplanned children are raised properly and grow into normal humans. What you're suggesting would either 1. Force abortion on anyone who got pregnant accidentally or more likely 2. Force those children into orphanages or foster care, and afaik there are already to many children like that. You could I supposed have the people that accidentally get pregnant then apply for a license to parent, but it still doesn't seem right because a lot of people that accidentally get pregnant won't have their lives in order yet but will still become good parents.

Honestly these are the only problems I see it with it, limiting the amount of children/who can be parents would be a good thing imo but it just can't be done while still taking care of the children properly.

"Yes, parenting should require both a license and mandatory parenting courses."

Yes to this ^
    Quote Originally Posted by diddle View Post
    I am a liberal, I vote democrat. That doesn't mean I agree with the ludicrously naive belief that a full-time job entitles one to the concept they should be able to entirely support themself.
    Quote Originally Posted by Nostop it View Post
    Cooking is a skill? In wow maybe.

Legendary!
    10+ Year Old Account
    No. It's more than just a bad idea, it just won't work. Who is going to teach the parenting courses? The same people who write all of the parenting books that don't seem to work?

Deleted
    Eventually it has to come to that you have to earn the right to breed. Humanity is in no danger of extinction anyway. 200 years ago there was 1 billion+ human beings. Now there 7 billion. We're already getting uncomfortably close to the amounts where it becomes increasingly difficult to feed, educate, vaccinate, and employ majority of them.

If we're allowed to breed like rabbits what happens when there's 10 billion of us? or 25 billion?

Id rather we live in world of 5 to 6 billion well fed and educated human beings instead of 30 billion starving and uneducated ones.

I said courses cause I belive its not something to evasive. Besides such courses should be targeted at young parents who might need abit extrea guidance.

Trough nothing to big if it dosen't help much. Sadly we cant prevent bad parents/addicts etc from having kids.
    Youtube channel: https://www.youtube.com/c/djuntas ARPG - RTS - MMO

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Eversor-Nw View Post
    Eventually it has to come to that you have to earn the right to breed. Humanity is in no danger of extinction anyway. 200 years ago there was 1 billion+ human beings. Now there 7 billion. We're already getting uncomfortably close to the amounts where it becomes increasingly difficult to feed, educate, vaccinate, and employ majority of them.

If we're allowed to breed like rabbits what happens when there's 10 billion of us? or 25 billion?

Id rather we live in world of 5 to 6 billion well fed and educated human beings instead of 30 billion starving and uneducated ones.
    Do come back collecting your reward when our planet's & system capacity actually has left such a population grow. Having a "parenting license" has nothing to do with overpopulation you're speaking of.

Deleted
    yes, you should have to prove you can support a child, and also be screened for genetic conditions which would have a large chance to be passed on. We have taken natural selection out of our species, so we need to combat hereditary genetic defects this way.

Who need to be good parents when you got SWAG?

But seriously, it is different from person to person, some people need a little guidance ...

Light comes from darkness shise's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Look, not everyone should be allowed to drive a car, yet we allow everyone to do so because it's money.

But the line is where humans comes up... some partents should not be allowed to have kids, plain simple.

So what less than requesting the parents to have a license or call it as you wish? I would call it a proper psychological test.

Deleted
    Right to family is a human right; and whilst perhaps everyone else would be happier with less unproductive members of society, many of whom stem from unstable family environments, it doesn't mean the it's the right thing to do.

Also seeing the increasing 'idiocracy' makes me feel better about myself that I'm not like them.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by shise View Post
    Look, not everyone should be allowed to drive a car, yet we allow everyone to do so because it's money.

But the line is where humans comes up... some partents should not be allowed to have kids, plain simple.

So what less than requesting the parents to have a license or call it as you wish? I would call it a proper psychological test.
    Then do what? Preventing people from mating? Forcing abortions?

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Kasami View Post
    Do come back collecting your reward when our planet's & system capacity actually has left such a population grow. Having a "parenting license" has nothing to do with overpopulation you're speaking of.
    I unsure what reward you meant but perhaps you're just being snide. Anyway what i simply meant was that overpopulation is one of the many reasons why in future parenting license may become mandatory.

The amount of population the world can have is based solely on technological level.
    There is no overpopulation, more then middle age had overpopulation.

Greeks already discussed about overpopulation at their time...

There will always be a sense that the amount we have is almost over the limit, because we will always live by the limit of our technological possibility.
    So no, read some real science please, there will not be a necessity for a state controlling reproduction on countries that value freedom and human rights, this only happens on authoritarian countries.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Eversor-Nw View Post
    I unsure what reward you meant but perhaps you're just being snide. Anyway what i simply meant was that overpopulation is one of the many reasons why in future parenting license may become mandatory.
    Demographic development doesn't work the way you described it. This planet won't be filled with dozen billions of people in the future if ever.