CM Quickfire Rapid RMA?

I have a CM Quickfire Rapid (blues), and sometimes it inputs my keystroke twice on certain keys. I've tried deep cleaning it, and pressing the keys with different forces. So I'm planning to RMA it. I heard about the new Quickfire TK and was wondering how I could convince them to send me their newer model through the RMA process? The integrated Numpad looks really nice, and I'd like to take advantage of it.

Deleted
    I have no experience with the company itself, but considering other experiences...

Unless the product that failed is discontinued, the chance of them giving you a product of greater value is often limited.

10+ Year Old Account
    Yeah seeing as how the rapid is still available, I doubt you'd be able to get it upgraded unless you bought it directly from CM and offer to pay the difference, or if you have it still under a return policy or something.
    Desktop: Antec Twelve-Hundred v3| ASUS VH236H | i5-3570k @ 4.5 | MSI 660ti PE | AsRock z77 Extreme4 | 16GB G.Skill 1866 | Havik 140 | Vertex 3 90gb Boot ssd | Kingston 240gb ssd | 620w Antec | Logitech G500, G510, G930
    Laptop: ASUS U36JC-B2B Tablet: HP Touchpad 16gb | Asus Infinity 32gb
    Camera: Canon EOS Rebel T3i with 18-55mm IS & 75-300mm
    Armory: http://us.battle.net/wow/en/characte...en/Cc/advanced

The updated model is offered at the same price as the previous.

The Quickfire Rapid is supposed to be the better keyboard, it is same OEM as Filco IIRC.
    Intel i5-3570K @ 4.7GHz | MSI Z77 Mpower | Noctua NH-D14 | Corsair Vengeance LP White 1.35V 8GB 1600MHz
    Gigabyte GTX 670 OC Windforce 3X @ 1372/7604MHz | Corsair Force GT 120GB | Silverstone Fortress FT02 | Corsair VX450

How come the Rapid is better than the TK? I'm interested in the TK's backlighting and Numpad.

The Rapid is better in the regard that it is build on a really solid platform, one of the best on the market actually. The OEM of TK I can't really find I just know that it isn't made by either iONE, Costar or Ducky which are the really good OEMs.

TK is probably still fine but it just isn't top notch like the Rapid is.
    Intel i5-3570K @ 4.7GHz | MSI Z77 Mpower | Noctua NH-D14 | Corsair Vengeance LP White 1.35V 8GB 1600MHz
    Gigabyte GTX 670 OC Windforce 3X @ 1372/7604MHz | Corsair Force GT 120GB | Silverstone Fortress FT02 | Corsair VX450

Ahh I see. Do you know if the Rapid "stealth edition" is available yet?

They haven't announced any release date yet but you can always take a look at Filco Ninja Majestouch-2 Tenkeyless.

Yeah I thought so, I couldn't find anything on the Stealth edition. I was just curious and earlier today saw a video of CM's new product lineup at CES 2013.

Do you happen to know how new the CM Tk is? Would you switch from the rapid to the TK for the backlight/numpad?

Quote Originally Posted by Litesung View Post
    Yeah I thought so, I couldn't find anything on the Stealth edition. I was just curious and earlier today saw a video of CM's new product lineup at CES 2013.

Do you happen to know how new the CM Tk is? Would you switch from the rapid to the TK for the backlight/numpad?
    The Quickfire TK came out pretty recently--I want to say some time around the start of this year. I'm currently using a Quickfire Rapid and was thinking about getting a TK myself, but the nonstandard modifier row and Cherry stabilizers sort of put me off. If those are worth the trade for a numbad and backlighting, I wouldn't be concerned enough about the quality to pass it up. I'm probably just a little too picky about that crap.

The Quickfire Rapid Stealth and XT should be available in the next few months, but that's a pretty long time to wait if you've got a defective keyboard. Besides, there won't really be much difference between the Stealth and current Rapid. You lose some of the branding on the board and you'll avoid the keycap legends wearing (the one problem with Costar), but it's still basically the same thing.

My Rapid is the very first model, and could you clarify about the nonstandard modifier row? I think I've read on the Cherry stabilizers before. (Something about a bar running through the key to stabilize it?)

I have a CM Quickfire Rapid (blues), and sometimes it inputs my keystroke twice on certain keys. I've tried deep cleaning it, and pressing the keys with different forces. So I'm planning to RMA it. I heard about the new Quickfire TK and was wondering how I could convince them to send me their newer model through the RMA process? The integrated Numpad looks really nice, and I'd like to take advantage of it.
    It is likely not a "problem" you are experiencing but more having a button float right around its activation point like a hair trigger.

My Rapid is the very first model, and could you clarify about the nonstandard modifier row? I think I've read on the Cherry stabilizers before. (Something about a bar running through the key to stabilize it?)
    On the Quickfire TK, left ctrl, left windows, and left alt look to be 1.5, 1.0, and 1.25 width keys. Standard layout has those keys all at 1.25 width. Sort of a minor thing I suppose, but I use those keys a lot and am used to 1.25s. They're probably altered in the best possible way though--since they still come out to the same overall length you should still find alt in the exact same place. The right side has different width keys too, but they should be much less used.

Cherry stabilizers are a system that sort of looks like a stabilized key has two extra switches. They make a key slightly harder to press. The bar stabilizer is usually referred to as a Costar stabilizer, and they have a smoother feel (but they're sometimes squeaky out of the box). Most manufacturers seem to use Cherry stabilizers. They're particularly common on backlit boards because a bar stabilizer runs right over where the LED goes. Also not a big deal probably, but it's hard to acclimate when your keys aren't consistent (especially notable with linear switches, but you're using blues).

I have no idea if these are even negatives for most people; they're just some of the features I've come to dislike personally. If they don't sound that bad to you, I'd definitely go for the TK. It's a pretty neat keyboard design overall and actually looks awesome. I might even get one for work or something despite my problems with it.