Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst
LastLast
    I don't understand the question here OP. If you kids want to play SWTOR, but without needing to pay for it, doesn't it already exist? They don't need to unlock the "full" version of the game via a sub. They can play perfectly fine with what's given. Your kids aren't going to be experiencing end-game content...

The Unstoppable Force Kelimbror's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by D_K_night View Post
    I don't understand the question here OP. If you kids want to play SWTOR, but without needing to pay for it, doesn't it already exist?
    Yes.
    Quote Originally Posted by D_K_night View Post
    They don't need to unlock the "full" version of the game via a sub. They can play perfectly fine with what's given. Your kids aren't going to be experiencing end-game content...
    ...and here's where you went wrong. There are several things that you just can't get without a subscription. Those include certain rewards for quests, unlocking currency caps, and any 'real' form of end game. Even if you buy what little end game is available, it's not a permanent unlock so it's rented monthly.

While it's ridiculous to claim this game isn't F2P, it's equally ridiculous to say you don't have to unlock a full version of the game as if your viewpoint should override someone else's desires for how they want to play.
    BAD WOLF

The game is a sorry excuse for a "F2P" game.

swtor you fail.

Quote Originally Posted by Argroth View Post
    The game is a sorry excuse for a "F2P" game.

swtor you fail.
    Thanks for adding nothing to the conversation. You remind me of a jilted lover.

Quote Originally Posted by notorious98 View Post
    Thanks for adding nothing to the conversation. You remind me of a jilted lover.
    You didn't add anything to the conversation with this comment either, mr. Hypocrite.

SWTOR is an extremely poor implementation of F2P, it goes way overboard with limitations (like 'hide helmet', no rest xp, repair costs), and jumps in your face at every step begging you to subscribe. I've played a number of B2P and F2P games (DDO, LOTRO, Guild Wars 2, Secret World) and SWTOR implementation is the worst in my experience. I don't mind accessing gear in cash shop, or conveniences, or customization options, or even content. BUT walling off basic gameplay features in cash shop is inexcusable.
    The night is dark and full of terrors...

10+ Year Old Account
    I started playing swtor, I like the atmosphere and the game, i just cant take it very well that they limit so many things, even gear that i could loot but can equip? thats just stupid, then it costs like 10 euros just for the ability of unlocking gear equipping permanently.

Quote Originally Posted by namelessone View Post
    You didn't add anything to the conversation with this comment either, mr. Hypocrite.
    Actually, I've added plenty to this conversation. If you want to call me a hypocrite for calling someone else out for their lack of conversation additions, that's fine, but at least I've contributed in some form or fashion and didn't just rip the game with two sentences that have about as much substance as an episode of 2 Broke Girls.

Quite frankly, this entire thread is pointless. I see no reason for, yet another, thread discussing TOR's F2P methods. It's just going to turn into a bitch fest for people to come in and whine about it. Like there haven't been enough threads like this over the past however many months. May as well just lock it down.

Quote Originally Posted by Snorkle View Post
    The guild wars format could never apply to swtor without wrecking the entire game. You can quite literally buy the best gear in GW...
    if you mean with real life cash for gw, that may be true, I don't play it enough to really know. I dabble.

Even with SWTOR you can pretty much buy the best gear. All mods, enchancements, etc... are all buyable with enough creds, so all those endgame level 27 mods...all buyable on the gtn. Hell, even some of them you could probably buy once a day buy farming dailies.

---------- Post added 2013-03-12 at 02:08 AM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by Rafax View Post
    I started playing swtor, I like the atmosphere and the game, i just cant take it very well that they limit so many things, even gear that i could loot but can equip? thats just stupid, then it costs like 10 euros just for the ability of unlocking gear equipping permanently.
    The only problem here is that you can get them. All those kinds of extras are readily available and pretty cheap on the GTN. Typically a lot of it is cheaper than you would buy if you them for in game creds too. For example: most inventory slots are available for around 70k. Those if you buy the last 2 or 3 yourself are 100k or above if you buy them via creds.

The GTN is a beautiful thing. Use it and be rewarded. Don't and well.... your loss.

Quote Originally Posted by notorious98 View Post
    Actually, I've added plenty to this conversation. If you want to call me a hypocrite for calling someone else out for their lack of conversation additions, that's fine, but at least I've contributed in some form or fashion and didn't just rip the game with two sentences that have about as much substance as an episode of 2 Broke Girls.

Quite frankly, this entire thread is pointless. I see no reason for, yet another, thread discussing TOR's F2P methods. It's just going to turn into a bitch fest for people to come in and whine about it. Like there haven't been enough threads like this over the past however many months. May as well just lock it down.
    Yet if there was a thread that brought up a point you are not satisfied with I'm sure you wouldn't have the same outlook.

Just because you've settled for Swtors shitty "F2P" method dosn't mean everyone should shut up and take it like you do. Some people want better outta their games, some people like to vent frsutrations and find others who sympathize with their mistreatment from this company/game.

Any post boasting about how great a game is is just as unproductive if not less since no improvements solutions or discussion can be made yet those posts and threads are all over the place. yet you don't demand those threads closed down...
    Biowares Go-to Plan:
    - Offer something for free
    - Change mind and charge for it
    - ALWAYS MAKE SURE YOUR WORK HAS BUGS
    - Never fix bugs and give crappy CS.

Yet if there was a thread that brought up a point you are not satisfied with I'm sure you wouldn't have the same outlook.

Just because you've settled for Swtors shitty "F2P" method dosn't mean everyone should shut up and take it like you do. Some people want better outta their games, some people like to vent frsutrations and find others who sympathize with their mistreatment from this company/game.

Any post boasting about how great a game is is just as unproductive if not less since no improvements solutions or discussion can be made yet those posts and threads are all over the place. yet you don't demand those threads closed down...
    Dissatisfaction and beating the same dead horse are two wholly different things. This has become beating a dead horse.

"Hmmm, not enough activity on the SWTOR forum. I know, let's talk about how shitty we feel the F2P model is......again.....for the thousandth time."

Yeah, we get it, you dislike it. We got it months ago. What's the point of reiterating the same damn thing over and over again? If you haven't gotten over your frustrations and irritation for this model yet, then it's not the game's problem, it's yours. Considering how unabashedly you rail against this game, the question becomes why you keep coming back. Move along and get over it.

And, yeah, if all people were doing was creating the same thread and just saying "Hey, this game is great", it's redundancy would drive me to say the same thing. It's pointless. And, last I checked, nobody was doing that with this game or any other.

I'm in the mood for some dead horse beating.
    I honestly think they should have stayed sub base and concentrated on providing value for subs, to keep people subbed instead of moving to a F2P and penalize for not subbing model. But alas that ship has sailed.

Here are some things I think that they could have done better
    1) Made it B2P not F2P and basically give everybody what would be equivalent to preferred status with all the account unlocks currently available.(except for maybe cargo and inventory) The funny thing is if you spend about how much you would on a new game in the cartel market you can get most of the important stuff now anyway. The difference is 100% in player perception. People expecting F2P join up and expect a game they can play, the reality is that it is B2P you just aren't buying a box you have to spend some money for the essentials to make it playable. Making it so you were actually buying a box that was playable out of the box would jive much better with player expectations and cause less blow back.

2) Frankly limiting space missions, flashpoints, ops etc... seems pretty iffy. You want people to come, stay and spend money. But I think the problem they are having by forcing itself into a F2P model, is that without breaking F2P subbing doesn't look all that attractive. The thing is most F2P games make money by selling vanity items and nonessential items, or with content packs(like Makeb), but charging for core gameplay isn't something a lot of players are used to.(or comfortable with). IMHO subscribers should get access to all content free(including new packs), more coins than just buying coins with your sub fee would get you, also veteran bonuses given out on anniversaries of consecutive subscription(6 months, 1 year, etc...), so if you take a break it gets reset back to 0.
    Edit: I think this would help make subbing more attractive without needing to overly penalize F2P, and then they could loosen up some of the F2P restrictions a bit more.

I think they could make a ton of money just selling things like a guild starship, famous ships for space missions like the millenium falcon or slave one. Vanity gear and pets are also nice.
    Last edited by jbombard; 2013-03-12 at 06:18 AM.

10+ Year Old Account
    I doubt he would use a similarly worthless couple of lines that should have received an infraction to express his opinion. Grow up and post something with substance if you want to complain about it. I don't really care if you want to beat a dead horse, because I take part in it when something rubs me wrong, but to type the equivalent of "SWTOR sucks, screw this game" you aren't helping anyone. Like I said, be glad you didn't get an infraction because that's typically a given with those kinds of post.

Even what you just posted is miles beyond what he was referring to. Just actually post instead of slinging a two line insult and walking away.
    BAD WOLF

Deleted
    Relevant updates from patch 1.7.2:

Originally Posted by SWTOR

Additional rewards have been added to many missions throughout the game. Players will find new Experience Boost items added to the end of important mission chains and some class missions. (Note that added rewards are similar to items available from the Cartel Market but will bind to the player when received.)

Additional rewards have also been added to some Space Missions, including Space Experience Boosts and Weekly Access Passes (useful for Free-to-Play and Preferred Players). (Note that added rewards are similar to items available from the Cartel Market but will bind to the player when received.)

Adjusted reductions to experience gains for Free-to-Play and Preferred players. There will no longer be a flat reduction rate applied at level 10. Instead, experience reductions will begin at level 12 and will gradually increase to the original flat rate at level 20.

Free-to-Play and Preferred Players no longer have a lower cap on the number of Commendations they may accrue compared to Subscribers.

Quote Originally Posted by Haruss View Post
    Relevant updates from patch 1.7.2:

Originally Posted by SWTOR

Additional rewards have been added to many missions throughout the game. Players will find new Experience Boost items added to the end of important mission chains and some class missions. (Note that added rewards are similar to items available from the Cartel Market but will bind to the player when received.)

Additional rewards have also been added to some Space Missions, including Space Experience Boosts and Weekly Access Passes (useful for Free-to-Play and Preferred Players). (Note that added rewards are similar to items available from the Cartel Market but will bind to the player when received.)

Adjusted reductions to experience gains for Free-to-Play and Preferred players. There will no longer be a flat reduction rate applied at level 10. Instead, experience reductions will begin at level 12 and will gradually increase to the original flat rate at level 20.

Free-to-Play and Preferred Players no longer have a lower cap on the number of Commendations they may accrue compared to Subscribers.
    Good work on their part.

It's still the stupid way to do it.
    Rather than give BOP unlocks for f2p/preferred just give them CC for completing certain quests. It's literally that simple. That way the player can choose what they want to do.

WHY WON'T THEY JUST DO IT THE EASY WAY. WTF. AS I AM WRITING THIS I REALIZE I AM WRITING IT FOR THE HUNDREDTH TIME OR SOMETHING. FUCK. BIOWARE, STOP MAKING THIS SO FUCKING HARD ON YOURSELVES.

I am left to assume that they lack the ability to grant CCs in game. There's almost no reason for them to continue to do this in this way.

Anyways. : / hopefully they sort themselves the fuck out eventually.
    (Warframe) - Dragon & Typhoon-
    (Neverwinter) - Trickster Rogue & Guardian Fighter -

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by hk-51 View Post
    Good work on their part.

It's still the stupid way to do it.
    Like you, I was ready to give them a golf clap until I realized in similar fashion that they could have just started putting coins on quest and mission rewards. Then I wanted to facepalm myself. I guess it's a reluctance to actually give something of value to their paying customers...you know...something they clearly hate doing.

Just going to stop before I get angry and overly negative. Hopefully this goes over well and they can all high five themselves and pat their backs and then get crazy and start putting coins on stuff. That's the day I'll come back and play the game more as a F2P player. I would maybe even get a little tipsy and forgive their past errors and accidentally give them more money.

Who knows? Balls in your court BiowarEA.
    BAD WOLF

Deleted

I am left to assume that they lack the ability to grant CCs in game. There's almost no reason for them to continue to do this in this way.
    That's definitely not the case since Achievements in 2.0 will give you CCs. 800+ total at the moment on PTS, could be more in live version since the current rewards seem rather randomly selected/placed in Achievements in general

Anyway, the removal of stupid Commedation Cap is the best news so far. F2P/Preferred players were already paying 25% more in every vendor in the game (including items bought by comms) and with Commedation Cap, some items were simply not possible at all to buy (like Campaign Relics for 200+ something Daily comms while the cap was 175 lol)

Quote Originally Posted by Haruss View Post
    That's definitely not the case since Achievements in 2.0 will give you CCs. 800+ total at the moment on PTS, could be more in live version since the current rewards seem rather randomly selected/placed in Achievements in general
    Ah... Well then.

It's completely inexcusable.

At least achievements offer some way to unlock stuff. I guess.

Personally, I would tack it onto weekly quests to promote people going out and doing world bosses, ops, fps, wzs, space missions, ect ect ect.
    More players doing them, easier it is to do them, more guilds form, more friends lists fill out, more interpersonal investment in the game, more people spending money on your game.

Keep in mind, you can get a lot of the unlocks of the GTN. So... Don't throw money away on things like "hide helm" when you can get them for video game money.
    Just need to get around the ridiculous low credit limit which is like 25% of the epic account unlocks

Quote Originally Posted by Termak View Post
    Just need to get around the ridiculous low credit limit which is like 25% of the epic account unlocks
    Since the credit cap is 350k and many of them sell for about 50k-75k that won't be a problem.

(I got both my artifact unlocks below 350k)

10+ Year Old Account
    But I do agree with such an inflated economy that the credit cap needs to be higher. If not for the sake of opening up F2P a little, but for the sake of actually rewarding subscribers and making their stipend more valuable to them. Subscribers really don't get enough in this game.
    BAD WOLF