Page 20 of 23 FirstFirst ...
... LastLast
    Deleted
    Any race should be able to play either faction, and all races should be able to choose there own class.
    Lets take it one step further and allow anyone to wear anything they want.
    Plate wearing Tauren Alliance Warlock, sounds like something from a private server
    This whole post was sarcasm

Quote Originally Posted by Toxigen View Post
    Gnome Paladin 4tw
    I also want gnome paladins to happen and I don't really understand why...still holding out for tauren rogue above all else though

Quote Originally Posted by unrealeck View Post
    They already made all races able to become Monks, so it wouldn't surprise me. They give into people easily now and it has made a mockery of how well presented the game's races were. They should have had Pandaren Monks only and just told people to deal with it.
    Tbh I am confused as to why monks were given to almost all races besides worgen/goblin. Their rationale regarding worgen/goblin didn't make much sense (those goblins/worgen running around during Cataclysm...did they go /afk when monks started showing up?), and I don't understand why monks were given to sooo many races...(besides goblin/worgen that is)...just strange.

10+ Year Old Account
    You can dream up any combination you want and a reason why they would exist but it's beside the point. I'm not entirely sure why these threads always come down to one side arguing it's not possible while the other side argues that it could be but it's irrelevant. Any race could be any class,(yes ever undead paladins, there's been one in the game since vanilla) but you would need to come up with a reason for them to suddenly appear in big enough numbers to justify being playable. And while that is also doable, at the end of the day all it does it water down the races. It just kills any sense of identity or culture that any of the races have and that is the reason it won't happen.
    Last edited by leaks; 2013-04-09 at 09:20 PM.
    "Terror, darkness, power? The Forsaken crave not these things; the Forsaken ARE these things."

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Urti View Post
    It's pretty obvious he mean't earthen as in titan construct, not as in shaman club, and stuck the "ring' on the end by mistake.
    Also the Troll-Night Elf thing was confirmed in the magazine a while back now. They are Dark Trolls that evolved, either through the Well of Eternity, by Elune's intervention, or possibly both. They haven't said exactly what the cause was out of those three, but they did confirm that the evolution happened.
    Thank you. And yes, the "ring" was a mis-add. I was reading an email while responding, heard "earthen" in my head and just added ring to it. As to the rest, you are correct. The Dark Trolls were either too close to the Well of Eternity, or they did something "near" it... the details are fuzzy, but it was confirmed. This just further validates that evolution on Azeroth is inevitable. However, the other points still stand. Humans learned to be hunters, Dwarves learned to be Shaman, Night Elves started using Arcane Magic after tossing High Elves from their sight for doing what? Using arcane magic. The "lore" is just a jumping off point and is subject to change.

---------- Post added 2013-04-09 at 02:22 PM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by Celista View Post
    Tbh I am confused as to why monks were given to almost all races besides worgen/goblin.
    It's something to do with time and isolation. Again, here is where time screws lore and makes it believable.

Given Answer: Worgen and Goblins were isolated in Kezan and Gilneas and would not have had access to a Monk to train them in the arts of combat

Real Answer: We didn't see the need to spend the amount of resources needed to add monk animations/trainers into these instances.

If Blizz wants to make it happen, they will do so at their leisure and will say that the lore is "evolving" much the way it did in Cataclysm. After all, weren't worgen just sons of Argual and actually SKINNABLE before the cataclysm? Guess the new lore no longer allows you to skin worgen

You people do realize that the so called druids that built those stones were the founding elves of Quelthalas. How it probably works out is that those found elves retrained some of their drudic powers and culture when they first landed on Azeroth. So these founding elves would not be the same elves as today. We all know that the Sunwell was arcane in nature while the moonwell was nature based. To sum it up it would have made sense at the time but now no. The Highborne and High Elves left the Night Elves because of the arcane disagreement. So by now any part of that culture or way of life is gone. So no go.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Sunstriker12 View Post
    So by now any part of that culture or way of life is gone. So no go.
    You know that the Night Elves cast out High Elves as traitors for using Arcane magic 10K years ago... and now we have Night Elf Mages. After 10K years, things change. So, yeah

Yes there are undead priests, but those priests lore wise are shadow priests. They inflict pain. Do we not remember the first building in the first town in the Undead starting zone? That was a shadow priest. For game purposes and balancing all priests would have the access, but in reality undead casting light spells would mean worshiping the very thing that would harm them. An undead casting penance on another undead? Would that not harm the said undead. Even the paladin spell exorcism back in the day auto critted undead. So obviously light spells would harm undead. Its just for the sake for the mechanics of the game that lore is not always reflected.

---------- Post added 2013-04-09 at 09:41 PM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by Superman-BladesEdge View Post
    You know that the Night Elves cast out High Elves as traitors for using Arcane magic 10K years ago... and now we have Night Elf Mages. After 10K years, things change. So, yeah
    Yes things do change, but I am not talking about Night Elves. We are talk about High Elves. Their whole culture and civilization was founded by outcasts that wanted to wield the arcane. So why would the retain that part of their lives? Obviously they didn't or we would be seeing High Elf druids since Warcraft I

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by emily View Post
    A gnome shaman would be sooooo cute, with little robot totems that walk around :3
    yes please, I want those robot totems

10+ Year Old Account
    Yes there are undead priests, but those priests lore wise are shadow priests. They inflict pain. Do we not remember the first building in the first town in the Undead starting zone? That was a shadow priest. For game purposes and balancing all priests would have the access, but in reality undead casting light spells would mean worshiping the very thing that would harm them. An undead casting penance on another undead? Would that not harm the said undead. Even the paladin spell exorcism back in the day auto critted undead. So obviously light spells would harm undead. Its just for the sake for the mechanics of the game that lore is not always reflected.

---------- Post added 2013-04-09 at 09:41 PM ----------

Yes things do change, but I am not talking about Night Elves. We are talk about High Elves. Their whole culture and civilization was founded by outcasts that wanted to wield the arcane. So why would the retain that part of their lives? Obviously they didn't or we would be seeing High Elf druids since Warcraft I
    As I've said to others, lore is cute but can always change. Ask anyone bound by lore about Dranei Shadow priests and watch their blood boil. These are people who worship the light and despise/refute anything to do with Fel/Shadow energies. Yet we have them. Humans never hunted before the cataclysm. Guess they got bored and learned how. Dwarves learned how to be shaman... for no apparent reason. Gnomes finally started wielding the light as priests, yet they are more likely to be hunters since they manufacture weapons and tanks.

As much as I would love to say, "You're right. Lore is lore and nothing will change.", I just can't help looking at some race/class combos and thinking "someday". If the Cataclysm brought changes to the lore, who knows what the next expac or the one after that will bring. I would safely predict that any class will play any race in the next expac or two. It's the most logical step to expand your fanbase and spark new interest from the old one.

---------- Post added 2013-04-09 at 02:49 PM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by RyokuchaMidori View Post
    yes please, I want those robot totems
    They could be similar to Goblin totems, but much cleaner and shinier... maybe even make them look like Jeeves, but in different colors. One for each element

The thing is those thing you listed were already happening and being practiced. Draeni that succumbed to fel energies are Eredar since they are not playable and not teaching Draeni to be warlocks its not happening and hasn't happened at all in the past. Dwarves could always be Shamans, its just that Iron Forge dwarves were the were the only playable dwarf. Until the Dark Iron and Wildhammer join together with the Iron Forge then we start seeing the actual dwarves that we play actual learn these classes. Night Elves could always be mages they were just called Highborne since we cant make highborne and the night elves rejected that off shoot of their culture NE mages did not exists. When the came back and taught them about the arcane then we see it reflect in game. So these things were always there besides the Tauren light thing and gnomes. There is a difference between having lore to support it then just creating it. In the case of the Tauren it was created on the spot. Everything else was there and could have always happened. Until they create the lore of High Elves to be druids which I won't see ever happening you will never see a single High Elf druid.

OMFG this X1,000,000,000,000,000 I want nothing more than to have a Forsaken Paladin, or Druid.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Rucati View Post
    I doubt they'll do this because all the lore nuts will freak out over it for some unknown reason.
    Yes, how dare we ask that Blizzard hang on to some shred of a coherent story.
    Putin khuliyo

Bound by lore? Everything is bound by lore. If nothing was bound by anything everyone would be anything and nothing would make sense. WoW would only have senseless morons that mash buttons and don't read single word of quest text and care less of the story. Exactly why I do not like the latest batman movie. Sure great movie but a shitty batman movie. Nolan did not pay homage to any of the lore beside the fact bruce wayne is batman. such a disgrace. So if Blizzard has half a brain they wouldn't just allow everyone to be anything without having something that makes sense and respects the lore that is always there.

Huh, after looking around a bit you are correct about the magazine clarifying that evolutionary line from Trolls to Night Elves. I'm sorry, I hadn't know that. Still, this discussion is about class availability, and not the evolutions of the races.

The evolution of race has a direct tie to what the race can be as classes. Night Elves worship nature, the ones that went with Arcane became High Elves which evolved into a new species. It's because of that decision to change their whole culture and way of life we get something new. That's why we dont see night elves worshiping the sun and vise versa. They would literally change into their respective opposites.

The evolution of race has a direct tie to what the race can be as classes. Night Elves worship nature, the ones that went with Arcane became High Elves which evolved into a new species. It's because of that decision to change their whole culture and way of life we get something new. That's why we dont see night elves worshiping the sun and vise versa. They would literally change into their respective opposites.
    What you're trying to claim isn't evolution. The High Elves leaving the Night Elves was a party split, so to speak. There was no evolutionary change there, merely political differences on what was moral.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Superman-BladesEdge View Post
    As I've said to others, lore is cute but can always change. Ask anyone bound by lore about Dranei Shadow priests and watch their blood boil. These are people who worship the light and despise/refute anything to do with Fel/Shadow energies. Yet we have them. Humans never hunted before the cataclysm. Guess they got bored and learned how. Dwarves learned how to be shaman... for no apparent reason. Gnomes finally started wielding the light as priests, yet they are more likely to be hunters since they manufacture weapons and tanks.

As much as I would love to say, "You're right. Lore is lore and nothing will change.", I just can't help looking at some race/class combos and thinking "someday". If the Cataclysm brought changes to the lore, who knows what the next expac or the one after that will bring. I would safely predict that any class will play any race in the next expac or two. It's the most logical step to expand your fanbase and spark new interest from the old one.

---------- Post added 2013-04-09 at 02:49 PM ----------

They could be similar to Goblin totems, but much cleaner and shinier... maybe even make them look like Jeeves, but in different colors. One for each element
    They look so cute already, please Blizz gives shaman to gnomes !

Literally every single content patch has changed the lore, because the lore has grown with each content patch. Lore as inflexible and immutable is only an argument against lore one personally does not want. Race and class combinations being intransigent implicitly means that races themselves are incapable of adopting new ideas or learning new skills, but that is already disproven. Hell, Paladins were an invention by the races in the game, during the course of Warcraft lore. So were Warlocks. Nobody is racially hardwired toward or against doing any of these things. The only class that can be said to have a lore-based intrinsic quality is DK, and that's because they were all recreated as DKs. Every other class is more of a profession/vocation, it's not a genetic trait that one can be a shaman or a druid.

Quote Originally Posted by Stormdash View Post
    Literally every single content patch has changed the lore, because the lore has grown with each content patch. Lore as inflexible and immutable is only an argument against lore one personally does not want. Race and class combinations being intransigent implicitly means that races themselves are incapable of adopting new ideas or learning new skills, but that is already disproven. Hell, Paladins were an invention by the races in the game, during the course of Warcraft lore. So were Warlocks. Nobody is racially hardwired toward or against doing any of these things. The only class that can be said to have a lore-based intrinsic quality is DK, and that's because they were all recreated as DKs. Every other class is more of a profession/vocation, it's not a genetic trait that one can be a shaman or a druid.
    Of course lore can grow and change, I don't think anyone has denied that. However, there are things that stand in the way of particular paths of progression. That isn't to say the path is impossible, but it's incredibly unlikely and would require a major event to change the views of a race, or class, etc.

Take the idea of a Tauren to be a Mage, for example; Tauren view the Arcane magics to be destructive to the world and to go against nature, so for them to accept the class they would either have to drop their devout compassion for the Earth Mother or find a way to wield Arcane magic in a non-destructive way. If you think either of those things are likely, be my guest, but don't be disappointed if the idea doesn't come to fruition.

Quote Originally Posted by Monkiy View Post
    Of course lore can grow and change, I don't think anyone has denied that. However, there are things that stand in the way of particular paths of progression. That isn't to say the path is impossible, but it's incredibly unlikely and would require a major event to change the views of a race, or class, etc.

Take the idea of a Tauren to be a Mage, for example; Tauren view the Arcane magics to be destructive to the world and to go against nature, so for them to accept the class they would either have to drop their devout compassion for the Earth Mother or find a way to wield Arcane magic in a non-destructive way. If you think either of those things are likely, be my guest, but don't be disappointed if the idea doesn't come to fruition.
    Right -- the boundaries of lore for race/class are mostly about racial culture, politics, ideology. But even in that context, we see implicit divisions and outsider status in the races lorewise. At one point, the Farstriders would have been the best example, but I think now the Highborne returning to the Night Elves would be. 10,000 years of cultural rejection of arcane magic, but apparently not so much that they can't readmit them to their society. Likewise, humans having warlocks in their midst despite the pretty serious negative history Stormwind has had with warlocks in the past.

Really, after any argument someone wants to make about genuine, intrinsic incompatibility between race/class (I'm talking about arguments of literal impossibility, like the Undead-Paladins-would-'splode argument, or there were no Pandaren around for Arthas to turn), the only ones that can justify a mechanical restriction in the game are those cultural ones that are so strong, so absolute, that it stops being believable that the player character would even be permitted to interact with their own race's NPC. Best example would be Dranei/Eredar Warlock. Pretty hard to go defend Velen (ha!) if the city guards should want to kill your character.

But most combinations don't have some major hurdle like that.