Page 1 of 2
LastLast
    10+ Year Old Account

Protein consumption

Hey I've been doing a rather extensive amount of daily cardio in an attempt get back to my ideal weight and a friend of mine who has noticed the amount of exercise I am doing thinks I should start drinking protein shakes for as long as I'm doing it. I was just wondering could this be really counter productive or actually useful if I did this? I have heard good and bad things about protein drinks.

Quote Originally Posted by Alewyn View Post
    Hey I've been doing a rather extensive amount of daily cardio in an attempt get back to my ideal weight and a friend of mine who has noticed the amount of exercise I am doing thinks I should start drinking protein shakes for as long as I'm doing it. I was just wondering could this be really counter productive or actually useful if I did this? I have heard good and bad things about protein drinks.
    Why does he think you need protein shakes, you are trying to get to a goal weight, while protein shakes are usually designed for those who are trying to gain muscle weight.
    Gamdwelf the Mage

Quote Originally Posted by Theodarzna View Post
    I'm calling it, Republicans will hold congress in 2018 and Trump will win again in 2020.

10+ Year Old Account
    I'm guessing your friend is saying that drinking protein shakes will boost muscle formation will increase metabolism will decrease weight, at the same time decreasing BMI. I guess it could work

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Gamdwelf View Post
    Why does he think you need protein shakes, you are trying to get to a goal weight, while protein shakes are usually designed for those who are trying to gain muscle weight.
    Neither of us are fitness experts by any means, I think he just associates exercise with increased need for protein. I always thought they were just for building muscle but then again I guess I kind of am indirectly building muscle from swimming laps so much and being very un-muscular to start with.

If you're trying to gain weight, it's the best.
    If you're trying to loose weight, it's the worst.

You do gain muscle faster than you'd do without it, so if you're trying to look more fit it's great.
    “The north still reeks of undeath. Our homelands lay in ruin. Pandaria oozes our hatred and doubt. What hope is there for this world when the Burning Legion again lands upon our shores?” - Eric Thibeau

Deleted
    protein shakes are good suppliments if you insist on doing intensive muscle hypertrophy. cardio is usually not supposed to build up large quantities of muscles.
    in your case you should get a proper (low carb low fat high prot) diet. shakes would only help you if you could replace otherwise high cal food with it definitely not worth the money.

Im in the process of gaining weight for the upcoming football season as i lost it due to injury.
    ive been able to gain about 10kg of weight from just being smart ive gone from 71kg (156) to 82kg (180).

protein shakes are good and al but being smart is key, having them with water is good, but milk is better, make them thick like a milkshake.

also eat every two hours, even if its a peanut butter sandwich. and eat your rolled oats/porridge in the morning.
    i think the idea amount of calories you need to loose weight is like 1300, to gain weiht you need over 2500 (?) ( am prob wrong there)

But if you think only having protein shakes will make you gain weight your wrong, you will actually need to eat and work out.
    If theres an ad for it on tv, stay away from it,( unless its an add for meat, fruit or vegetables)

and again make sure you actually work out.

10+ Year Old Account
    It shouldn't be too counter productive unless you go over maintenance calories for the day. So if you need the extra protein because you aren't getting enough through regular diet, then I guess it couldn't hurt. But if you are only doing cardio and no strength training, normal diet should get you enough.

---------- Post added 2013-06-05 at 06:51 PM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by enfermera View Post
    i think the idea amount of calories you need to loose weight is like 1300, to gain weiht you need over 2500 (?) ( am prob wrong there)
    It all depends on your current weight. 1300 is usually way too low for a man. They have calculators online to find out what your maintenance calories are.
    Ryzen 9 5900X/Trident Z Neo 32GB 3600 CL16/AORUS 1080 Ti Xtreme/Crosshair VIII Hero Wi-Fi/Arctic Liquid Freezer II 240/Optane 900p 3D XPoint/EVGA SuperNOVA 1200 P2/Lian Li O11 Dynamic XL/Steelcase Leap/BenQ XL2411Z/Philips Fidelio X2HR/Noppoo Choc Mini (RIP Reckful)/Razer Viper Ultimate/QcK Heavy

Quote Originally Posted by Alewyn View Post
    Protein really is the "magic ingredient" when losing weight. Not only does it help you to keep the hunger away longer, but it also helps to preserve muscles.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Exorbitance View Post
    Protein really is the "magic ingredient" when losing weight. Not only does it help you to keep the hunger away longer, but it also helps to preserve muscles.
    ye, proteins are awesome. but there is no actual benefit to have them in powder form unless you want to give nutritients to your muscles directly after workout to optimize hypertrophie. if youre on a diet its even better to eat naturally available proteins turkey/low fat curd cheese as theyll usually keep satiated longer than liquid meals. at least that works better for me. not even mentioning the cost of protein shakes...

I love healthy food with lots of protein and nutrients. Lol.

10+ Year Old Account
    I say if you want protein eat meat..If you wnat protein and tesosterone eat high fat meats...If you want just to lose weight stay away from the shakes.

10+ Year Old Account
    There's no logical reason for you to drink protein shakes every day... he was probably confused... did you tell him you were working out everyday or did you tell him you were going on runs? If you told him you were working out, chances are he thinks you're hitting the gym for 30 minutes... if he really does believe you need protein for your post runs, he's a fool. There's absolutely no reason why anyone needs protein or carbs after a run. If all your fitness is from running... you don't really have to change your diet accordingly... I bodybuild so I have to make sure I get 1-1.5g of protein per body weight. On top of that, I have to be on top of my carb intake... start with high carbs in the morning and decrease them as the day goes on because there's less of a demand for them since i'm already done working out.
    Most likely the wisest Enhancement Shaman.

Protein is essential for any male who wants to get in better shape, it builds muscles which rev the metabolism and keep fat off. But don't waste money on shakes, just eat eggs as a supplement instead, you can buy like 60 of them for 7 bucks at Costco.

Single biggest thing to not confuse is a whey protein shake and a weight gainer shake. The weight gainers are basically just whey with loads of sugar for "bulking". Otherwise whatever protein the body can't immediately use will be burned as fuel, particularly in the case of fast absorbing whey. Gluconeogenisis bascially is the body stripping down protein of any kind and turning it into glucose. Whey itself is the runoff from making cheese. Little Miss Muffet "eating her curds and whey". The whey absorbs faster compared to much slower casein, which you can get a chunk of from eating cottage cheese.

The one other thing to watch is if you have any sensitivity at all to milk products that whey might give you a just a little trouble, but nothing serious.

Protein and good fat acids are better then carbs as a energy source if you are trying to loose wait.

Also the more muscle you've got, the easier it is to loose weight.
    Last edited by Waynhim; 2013-06-06 at 04:21 AM.

There are so much incorrect information being passed around in this thread its dreadful to any beginner looking for some help.

---------- Post added 2013-06-06 at 09:08 AM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by Gamdwelf View Post
    Protein is a necessity to everybodys diet.
    Protein repairs broken muscle tissues and will help with recovery

---------- Post added 2013-06-06 at 09:08 AM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by Komati View Post
    If you're trying to gain weight, it's the best.
    If you're trying to loose weight, it's the worst.

You do gain muscle faster than you'd do without it, so if you're trying to look more fit it's great.
    Terribly wrong. Protein should be consumed by those trying to lose weight also!

---------- Post added 2013-06-06 at 09:11 AM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by kalo View Post
    in your case you should get a proper (low carb low fat high prot) diet. shakes would only help you if you could replace otherwise high cal food with it definitely not worth the money.
    These diets are nonsense but the internet is filled with misleading articles.
    You shouldnt reduce anything in your diet except for sugar, and starchy carbs. Moderation is key, a clean balanced diet is what you want.

---------- Post added 2013-06-06 at 09:18 AM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by enfermera View Post
    protein shakes are good and al but being smart is key, having them with water is good, but milk is better, make them thick like a milkshake.

You shouldnt drink protein shakes with milk post workout, you should actually use water. Any other time is fine, but post workout choose water.
    Fat is the slowest to digest, and even the little fat in milk means the protein your muscles are starved for have to wait that little bit longer to receive the nutrients they want.

You are very wrong regarding the calories and losing weight. We are all different. OP needs to figure out his BMR, and then calculate his TDEE to figure out his proper calorie deficit. It is key is to never eat below your BMR.

lol so much "i think" not i know going on around here.... person above me is right. i only have protein shake aftert he gym because its fast absorbing. if you dont have time to eat properly a protein shake is good past protein, otherwise stick to whole foods. have a calorie deficit, aim for 2500 calories a day, adjust to your body's needs

OP

Protein shakes will not be counter productive, they will simply repair and recover your damaged muscle tissues after using them helping them recover to develop further.
    Supplements are not actually necessary throughout the day if you eat a well balanced diet and I dont ever encourage supplements to people other than a post workout shake. Feel free to get yourself a whey protein to consume immediately after your training, take this with an banana to create an insulin spike. You will feel refreshed and recover quicker, ready for your next training day.

If you are trying to lose weight though, and essentially get some shape I imagine then you should add more to your training. Cardiovascular is actually primarily for the cardiovascular system.. ie the heart. You will lose fat yes but you will lose fat no matter what type of exercise you are doing, but for a nice shape to your body you need muscle, and I am not talking meat head type of muscle. What I am trying to say is, if you are running you are using your legs but what about other parts of your body?

You should throw in some resistance exercises too, you need to remember to give a full workout to each body part at least once a week, but never the same on consecutive days.
    Legs, Back, Chest, Shoulders, Arms and Stomach.

If you arent a member at a gym and dont have any equipment, that is fine, you can use your body weight without equipment such as squats, press ups, pull ups, sit ups etc.

This will all help aid in fat loss, as well as develop your muscles, giving you a better body and faster.

Ofcourse its not all about exercising though. There is no point even looking at a dumbbell if your diet isnt right.
    I wont bore you to death with the diet but you need to know the basics:

Carbs are not bad
    Fat is not bad
    Protein is not bad

The only bad is SUGAR

You should have a balanced meal every meal and regularly small portions. Ensure you have some form of protein with every meal, do not forget your fats - especially the good fats. Go easy on starchy carbs though such as grains, bread pasta rice etc.
    Dont forget the calories in drinks too!

Remember, Sugar is the bodys enemy

Read and use this to get your TDEE:
    http://scoobysworkshop.com/calorie-calculator/

That will tell you your BMR which is the minimum calories your body needs just to function properly without no physical movement at all. That means you should never eat less than your BMR. (This surprises alot of people trying to lose weight, when they starve themselves.. their bodys arent working properly. Do it right, and you turn your body into a fat burning machine).
    Then you get your TDEE, which is basically your BMR + the amount of calories required to fuel you for your daily activities.

To lose weight you eat less than your TDEE but never less than your BMR.

3500 Calories is 1 pound of fat. Some say 4000, but whatever. That means you need to eat 3500 calories ONTOP of your TDEE to gain 1 pound of fat. And obviously vice versa, 3500 calories LESS than your TDEE to lose 1 pound of fat.

If your TDEE is 3000 and your BMR is 2000, to lose weight you want to eat less than 3000 calories a day.

So with a calorie deficit of 500, you would be eating 2500 calories daily. That would be a healthy 1 pound of fat loss every week.

A website like myfitnesspal.com can help with tracking your calories too.

All in all, good luck mate.
    Any questions, just ask
    Last edited by DStrukt; 2013-06-06 at 08:45 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by DStrukt View Post

Protein is a necessity to everybodys diet.
    Protein repairs broken muscle tissues and will help with recovery[COLOR="red"]
    Yeah but you can get what you need from a normal diet no need to have a protein shake.
    Gamdwelf the Mage

Quote Originally Posted by Theodarzna View Post
    I'm calling it, Republicans will hold congress in 2018 and Trump will win again in 2020.