Thread: PC Crashing

PC Crashing

I have a huge problems. Since i changed a few parts, my PC keeps turning off while playing games based on Unreal Engine, like Borderlands 2 or Dungeon Defenders. Nothing else. I played Fallout: New Vegas, WoW, SWToR, LoL, Dota 2, Guild Wars 2 etc, and everything looks fine. Only while playing Borderlands 2 or Dungeon Defenders my PC keeps shutting down in random moments.

I know it might be overheating but only those 2 games? Isnt that weird? I cleaned my PC inside and i dont think thats a problem.

Anyone got any ideas??

- - - Updated - - -

Bump

Last edited by Velthy; 2013-07-28 at 06:19 PM.

What are your in-game video settings? Have you tried lower settings, or utilize the game's auto-detect (if they have it)

What parts did you change out?

What type of case are you using?

Are all case fans working?

Is the CPU Heat sink fan and the video card fan working?

Are you overclocking, have you reset bios?

Need more specs, bro.

Epic!
    15+ Year Old Account
    If that's under load, then both your CPU and GPU temps look fine. If that's idle, then you've got problems...

Quote Originally Posted by Regulas View Post
    What are your in-game video settings? Have you tried lower settings, or utilize the game's auto-detect (if they have it)

What parts did you change out?

What type of case are you using?

Are all case fans working?

Is the CPU Heat sink fan and the video card fan working?

Are you overclocking, have you reset bios?

Need more specs, bro.
    I tried and it didnt help. The game doesnt lag or anything on high details, i played Skyrim on very high, just those two games are shutting down my PC, even tho Dungeon Defenders isnt that good looking.

Motherboard and CPU, added a new HDD.

Some CoolerMaster or something, always open.

Yeah they are working.

Not overclocked. Im planning to maybe update my bios.

Specs:
    Core 2 Duo E6650
    4Gb of 800MHz ram (but dested different ones already)
    GF 8800 GTS

I know its not some fresh and awesome PC, but i played those games on a worse one.

Those temps are semi-load, GPU gets up to 90 degrees but ive been watching and it doesnt matter what temp it is when it crashes, something its 80, sometimes 90.
    Last edited by Velthy; 2013-07-29 at 01:52 PM.

Epic!
    15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Velthy View Post
    Those temps are semi-load, GPU gets up to 90 degrees but ive been watching and it doesnt matter what temp it is when it crashes, something its 80, sometimes 90.
    My GTX 260 would hardlock at 90C...I'm guessing your video card temps are at fault. Even if it says 80C, your GPU is probably seeing on-die temps fluctuate up to 90C without the built-in thermocouple detecting it.

Yea i guess it might be true. Ive been playing Fallout: New Vegas now and PC went down, first time on a different game than DD or Borderlands. So, what can i do to fix it? My graphic card is clean, no dusty. Shame its like 35 degrees outside.

Now after restarting PC, GPU is 76-80 degrees iddle.

- - - Updated - - -

Bump? How do i fix it? Buy a new fan or something...

Well if it is your GPU overheating applying new thermal paste would be the best thing. Not sure if they make them or can find anything but an aftermarket cooler would help as well.

I'd try new thermal paste before looking for a new cooler for it.

15+ Year Old Account
    You mention cleaning the PC inside and out, but have you specifically cleaned the fans and heat-sinks?

These are where the dust and hairs really stick to (especially if you have pets).

Many coolers allow you to remove the fan without needing to re-apply thermal paste (a messy proposition which, if done incorrectly, will brick your C/GPU).
    Dragonflight: Grand Marshal Hottage
    PC Specs: Ryzen 7 7800X3D | ASUS ROG STRIX B650E-I | 32GB 6000Mhz DDR5 | NZXT Kraken 120
    Inno3D RTX 4080 iChill | Samsung 970 EVO Plus 2TB | NZXT H200 | Corsair SF750 | Windows 11 Pro
    Razer Basilisk Ultimate | Razer Blackwidow V3 | ViewSonic XG2730 | Steam Deck 1TB OLED

Yeah i cleaned all. I will change thermal paste soon, but for now ive done this and got -20 degrees on GPU.

Dont laught pls.