Page 1 of 6
... LastLast

"Just let them win"

Tsk.

What are your thoughts on this practice? Not so much win trading, but when you get down in a BG and you have people crying to "just let them win". Usually, these maniacs are really aggressive about their obsession to lose, this morning someone merely asked why I capped a node in BfG while we were down 1420-400.

Personally, I'm there for the fun, we weren't necessarily getting smashed, just losing. I love the matches were we overcome a huge deficit to win, or make the other team nervous. Most of all, i applaud the effort of my faction. If you want to just roll over and stay on the boat, just eat the deserter debuff and stay out of my battlegrounds.

I do understand the honor/time argument, but then what? You'll be full Ty and still giving up.

10+ Year Old Account
    Most people like myself don't really care about factions. Some people just care about getting geared to play their alt in arena and want to save as much time as possible. You have to remember that some people out there do not enjoy random bg's and do not enjoy the grind of getting basic gear that they will get rolled in arena anyway. The bad attitudes stem from that and possibly playing the game for an extended period of time without a break.

I love the matches were we overcome a huge deficit to win, or make the other team nervous.
    The thing is is that most experienced players know this isn't going to happen unless the bad players leave and are magically replaced with better players. That is usally the only time a comeback will happen. I've only seen it happen probably twice in my time playing this game and I've played over a thousand bg's. I'm sure more experienced bg hero's can answer this for you better than I can.

10+ Year Old Account
    damn, a trashcan

Contribute when posting, please
    Last edited by Darsithis; 2013-08-05 at 01:48 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Ryan Cailan Ebonheart View Post
    The thing is is that most experienced players know this isn't going to happen unless the bad players leave and are magically replaced with better players. That is usally the only time a comeback will happen.
    This is my opinion on it too. If you've started to lose, unless some of your players get replaced then it's unlikely you're going to turn it around. Capping a base at 1500-400 is mostly pointless because to come back from that you'd have to 5 cap them in AB within < 30 seconds and hold it until you won. All you were doing is stalling your loss which is probably why someone mentioned it.

It's not particularly 'giving up', it's more like accepting that you can't win because of the quality of your team vs their team. Most people would rather lose fast and queue up for the chance of winning than sit in a losing BG for 20 minutes.
    Last edited by Snuggli; 2013-08-05 at 01:51 PM.

While I agree with you to a point, when you've done as many battlegrounds as I have, you know a loss when you see one. If there's any potential for coming back, you'll see it very early. It's clear when there's no hope at all though, but in those cases, I still don't understand why someone would say to just let the other team win when they're obviously going to anyway. I guess it's to save a few minutes, but I'll try to prolong that time just to rebuke their whining. And I suppose what one of the other posters said is true as well, some people just want the gear to do arena, but I'd wager that's a small portion. Arena isn't nearly as popular as battlegrounds, and gets less so each expansion. But still, even if you're only intending to do battlegrounds, you still want the gear as quickly as possible. So I see both sides of the fence on this, but it's about knowing when it's hopeless and when it isn't. Some call it quits way too easily, and they're the ones I feel contempt for.

10+ Year Old Account
    I hate this attitude. Usually the people saying it are the 0k-5d types who are terrible.

The problem is rewarding failure.
    Players get honor for screwing around, such that they have no intention of actually winning and see any result as a win in their eyes, because they get something out of it.
    The honorable defender buff should be extended to all objectives, and to be the only source of honor.
    Ganking people in the middle of nowhere, away from every objective should get you no honor.
    That way people might be encouraged more to play.

Quote Originally Posted by Snuggli View Post
    Capping a base at 1500-400 is mostly completely pointless because to come back from that you'd have to 5 cap them in AB within < 30 seconds. All you were doing is stalling your loss which is probably why someone mentioned it.
    This one was Gilneas, i've seen these comebacks there much more frequently. AB, i would have planted my honor boosting flag and /prowl for those last few seconds.

I have zero interest in Arenas (I will do the 100 for the mount next patch), since it's usually done with my roommates who are about as casual as I am, but I still like the "thrill" of random BGs.

I think the 10% win percentages of IoC and AV have softened my stance on these types of things, but I just don't like giving up... most times.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by ComputerNerd View Post
    That was one of my issues with Rift, you'd get a chunk of XP, Gold, Rep, and "honor" for losing. A lot of it.

there are 2 reasons to join a bg= trying to win it, or doing achieves in said bg. som e of the achieves require you to cap X amount of bases/flags/carts whatever, so in a sense even those bgs in which you are losing can yield a gain by progressing on those achieves.

Sure you delay the loss for others, but the same way winning a bg would probably delay your progress on said achieve as others will have kept the base and not going to lose it for your achieve progress.

Apart from some achieves that promote risky play (overcome a 500 disadvantage, win with 1600-1590), anything else is beneficial to the main objective= winning the bg, so is fair game in a pug, you can premade the detrimental gameplay achieves if you wish to.

Fun fact to add, after trying for 2 hours to get the 1600-1590 achieve back then but failing (as in winning with 1600-1580 or 1600-1570 and giving the pug opponents the achieve once, i joined 2 pugs and ended up running into a premade that did the same miscalculation and thereby gave us the achieve, along with the 500 recovery credit (already premaded that, but i saw others in the pug gain it).

I tend to focus on random bg objective achieves 1st and then care about the wins so i dont have to run around like a headless chicken trying to get the random things after getting 100 wins.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Erenax View Post
    I hate this attitude. Usually the people saying it are the 0k-5d types who are terrible.
    I usually say it if I'm the only one from my team appearing on the scoreboard. If you have 7 alliances with 16-0-30 and 1 horde with 16-5-16, then what would be the reward for your strenuous efforts attempting to carry your team all by yourself? Your team is most likely made up entirely of bots and they certainly won't thank you. They won't even know what you did. The only thing you gain by struggling is a headache. The only thing you lose by giving up and succumbing to the bot-playstyle is wasted time fighting a lost battle.

If you know you're teamed with shitters, the easiest way to turn the tides is to lose quickly and hope for some luck, regarding who you get teamed up with, for the next game. As the game is now, with gear scaled down, no matter how good or geared you are, you will not be able to win 1v10 or even 1v4.

There's usually that one guy with a 1-60-3 score who tells you to man up and continue the fight, though. I love that guy <.<

I stay out of battleground chat, but if my team sucks I generally give up on objectives. Objectives in most battlegrounds mean putting yourself in a vulnerable position, and if I'm not getting any decent support I don't care to be repeatedly 6v1'd. I'm neither there for honour or to go tryhard mode over winning.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by ItachiZaku View Post
    Tsk.

What are your thoughts on this practice? Not so much win trading, but when you get down in a BG and you have people crying to "just let them win". Usually, these maniacs are really aggressive about their obsession to lose, this morning someone merely asked why I capped a node in BfG while we were down 1420-400.

Personally, I'm there for the fun, we weren't necessarily getting smashed, just losing. I love the matches were we overcome a huge deficit to win, or make the other team nervous. Most of all, i applaud the effort of my faction. If you want to just roll over and stay on the boat, just eat the deserter debuff and stay out of my battlegrounds.

I do understand the honor/time argument, but then what? You'll be full Ty and still giving up.
    Hold on...

If you want to just roll over and stay on the boat, just eat the deserter debuff and stay out of my battlegrounds.
    stay out of my battlegrounds.
    my battlegrounds
    MYYYYYYYYYYYYYY battl--
    Such entitlement! Last I've heard, WoW wasn't communist China. And I don't mean that in a racist way, but rather as a comparison in liberties. Feel free to start an argument when I say that in BGs, you're entirely allowed to, and it's actually welcomed.
    It's time to level up and quit your newbie ways
    You need to go outside and get some new V-rays
    A fresh breath of air will help you talk again
    Inhale, exhale, feel the Oxygen
    - Woodman

Tbh, I think letting them win is stupid. Last night I was in Battle for Gilneas, and we were getting absolutely whooped by 500 points+, then we capped all 3 points and overtook them, and eventually won. I think no matter how bad things are looking, theres no point "giving up", just try harder :P. If half your team are bots however - perhaps giving up is best :S

Quote Originally Posted by marthsk View Post
    Hold on...
    "Let em winners" and AFKers/Bots are practically the same so... they should stay out of BGs.
    Quote Originally Posted by kbarh View Post
    may i suggest you check out wowwiki or any similar site, it's Grom that orders the murder of Cairne

In AB particularly, rushing stables/farm alone while there are several opponents there acts like a magnet, ensuring there are less ppl on other bases, works even better if you have some burst potential and can kill one of them. The more ppl bite said bait the better as they cant help other bases in that time and your team only loses 1 player as distraction.

Players get honor for screwing around, such that they have no intention of actually winning and see any result as a win in their eyes, because they get something out of it.
    The honorable defender buff should be extended to all objectives, and to be the only source of honor.
    Ganking people in the middle of nowhere, away from every objective should get you no honor.
    That way people might be encouraged more to play.
    I was going to rebuke this, but I guess there's no point. Some people queue to fight other players (it's player versus player after all) and I don't blame them for going to fight instead of sitting at a node or waiting to fight a boss. However I will say this, the gear grind is brutal enough already, and giving the losing team nothing would slow it down drastically. If your faction's having an off day, it's incredibly frustrating to play for a long time and get nothing at all out of it. Not to mention that more and more people would faction change when they felt their side wasn't winning enough, which would expand that problem. Besides, it's supposed to be about competition, not rewards. The rewards are just necessary to enjoy the competition, so there's no reason to deny the losing team the chance for that gear.

there is always someone trying to win even when it's a super one sided match with most of the team getting gy camped

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Baracuda View Post
    "Let em winners" and AFKers/Bots are practically the same so... they should stay out of BGs.
    They are... in your opinion. Try telling someone who's been attempting to carry a group of fails, and who ends up having to eat a deserter because of them if he wants that farce of a BG to end, that he's just like an AFKer...
    It's time to level up and quit your newbie ways
    You need to go outside and get some new V-rays
    A fresh breath of air will help you talk again
    Inhale, exhale, feel the Oxygen
    - Woodman

If they didnt reward failure Alliance would only be able to gear out by buying Arena carries. If you got nothing for losing Horde queues would be in the hours because Alliance would just quit.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Erenax View Post
    I say things OP mentioned and usually I'm the one with the best k/d ratio and higher damage done/healing done while still giving as much support as I can to my team by off-healing when I'm playing a hybrid or giving them freedoms.

90% of the players you encounter in BGs are usually really bad and don't know that by keeping one person alive by throwing some off-heals here and there or a freedom here and there might help you win a BG, but since such things only happen with premades or on private servers (yes I mentioned pservers) I always expect the worse and rather lose a BG quickly than having to waste another 5 minutes because some guy re-capped a base.

Seriously, It's all about efficiency here. Lose a BG quicker = sooner you can queue for a BG you might win = faster gearing up = more geared up players in your BG = potentionally more wins than losses = more honor points for people gearing up (i know this is an idiotic theory xD)

Quote Originally Posted by Baracuda View Post
    If you don't wan't people to give up, then start by improving yourself as a player and assist properly in BGs by helping other DPS stay alive when there isn't a healer alive, or even CC/interrupt that healer who's freecasting heals, or better, attack the healer and yell for assistance while still off-CCing/interrupting the other healers by putting them on your focus target.

Again, the only reason I give up at a certain point is because I'd most likely be the only tryhard in that BG who actually tries to do such things I just listed above here.